• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

JayEH

Question about a potential Resident Evil 3 REmake:

I've never played RE 3, but to my understanding it also takes place in Raccoon City. Does RE 3 reuse areas from RE 2? If so, depending on how REmake 2 does, that would make the decision to remake it much easier.

There's only really the police station from 2 (and maybe some streets?) in 3 and even that is heavily modified.

On a side note: The more I think back to Resident Evil 6, the more I see why they went the route they did with Resident Evil 7. Resident Evil 6 has three full campaigns which last 5 to 6 hours each on average with an optional 4th campaign which is good for another 3 to 4 hours. All of them visit pretty different areas despite being in the same countries, many of the set pieces are the definition of "bombastic", all have different gameplay gimmicks (snowmobiling, motorcycles, jeeps, helicopters, jets, cranes, etc), they had almost 3 hours of cutscenes, and they had several different Mercenary modes as well as Multiplayer. All in all the entire thing took over 600 people over two and a half years to put it all together. And despite all this it received middling reviews and missed the 7 million estimate. RE 7, on the other hand, is a much more focused experience from what we've seen with tons of backtracking through rooms, enclosed spaces, and tight hallways. I sincerely doubt it has anywhere near the budget of 6.

There's only really the police academy from 2 (and maybe some streets?) in 3 and even that is heavily modified.

Ah, I see. So it wouldn't be on the cheaper side.

I'll be bummed if RE7 marks the end of Resident Evil as a big budget affair. I was hoping revelations and the REmakes and HD ports would be their smaller budget projects to recoup some $ to fund the big ol mainline games. But as long as 7 is good I guess I don't mind.

I've never played RE 3, but to my understanding it also takes place in Raccoon City. Does RE 3 reuse areas from RE 2? If so, depending on how REmake 2 does, that would make the decision to remake it much easier.

Go play RE3, is the best game in the series.

Mr_Zombie

RE3 uses like just a couple of rooms from RE2. Also, since RE3 takes place a day before RE2, those rooms are slightly changed (e.g. various doors are still boarded up). So even if Capcom decides to remake RE3, the RE2 remake wouldn't help them that much in terms of reusing locations (given they would be faithful to the original game).

RootCause

I've got way too many items, I've wasted like 15 minutes, still not sure what to drop. :(

What should I leave behind?

My item situation

Bullets:
Handgun bullets 255
Shotty 30
Magnum 9(saving for boss fight, like the other resi games)
Fire rounds 6
Acid rounds 2
Granades 2(loaded on Granade launcher)
Molotov 17

Weapons
Handgun x2
Shotgun
Hunting gun(likely to leave behind, haven't touched it since the train)
Knife x2( this one hurts, it allows me to conserve ammo when cleaning rooms from zombies)
Granade Launcher

Health items

First Aid spray x2
Mixed RGB
Mixed GB
Blue herb

Mr_Zombie

Why do you even want to leave anything behind? Just put the stuff in a certain easily accessed location (e.g. main hall in the Marcus' training center), use them whenever you need, and take them with you when you're about to go to a new major location.

Hint: when you collect all the tables, before you activate the observatory, bring all items to the room. And don't forget the hookshot! Bring the hookshot with you unless you want to hate the game.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So did any interesting lore or character stuff come out of Umbrella Corps outside of Albert Wesker may or may not be alive?

We know the names of a bunch of companies involved in B.O.W. research now. One of them is even mentioned in heavenly island. (That's Shéng-Yā Pharmaceutical)

Medvedev (メドベージェフ社)
Tenenti Inc. (アネンテイ社)
Suntech Ninja Co. (サンテック•ニンジャ社)
Suntech Samurai Co. (サンテック•サムライ社)
Saurian Corporation (サウリアン社)
Aeolus Edge West (アイオロスエッジ•ウェスト社)
Aeolus Edge East (アイオロスエッジ•イースト社)
Akembe Chemical (アケムべ•ケミカル)
Rashid Sahir Industries (ラシード•サヒール工業)
Shéng-Yā Pharmaceutical (神亜製藥 / シェンア製藥)

We also get to play as someone (codenamed 3A-7) who gets nicknamed the "new Grim Reaper" and compared to HUNK.

RootCause

Why do you even want to leave anything behind? Just put the stuff in a certain easily accessed location (e.g. main hall in the Marcus' training center), use them whenever you need, and take them with you when you're about to go to a new major location.

Hint: when you collect all the tables, before you activate the observatory, bring all items to the room. And don't forget the hookshot! Bring the hookshot with you unless you want to hate the game.
Lol yeah, I took everything with me. And dropped it outside the lab.
Now I'm about to board the cable car. Do I still need the hook shot? That thing is a waste of space. :/

If News Bot weren't banned, you'd get an earful.

Related: How the heck did News Bot get banned?

I thought it would have been this thread since it got heated in there when I looked last. Didn't see a ban callout when checking up just now, so either it was all done nonchalantly behind the scenes or someone else tipped over the News Bot signal the wrong way.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have just downloaded the origins bundle for ps4 thanks to the deals

Man, how much I love those two classics. ..

Akiller

Got For cheap RE the Mercenaries 3D, how is it? I mean theres Lost in Nightmare Jill on the first page of the game manual so it must be good For sure.

Zaverious

Got For cheap RE the Mercenaries 3D, how is it? I mean theres Lost in Nightmare Jill on the first page of the game manual so it must be good For sure.

One of the best 3DS games. Those EX missions are pure terror. Plays like RE5 with maps from it and RE4.

Note: You can unlock other's characters loadouts for use with other characters, but Krauser's is the only one with unlimted arrows and a knife so if you run out of ammo, you are out of luck.

Aw yeah Jill has her knife too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sweet! It plays Like RE5 right?
Does it support circle pad?

It has co-op Too :D

It does support the circle pad.
I remember it slightly more dynamic than re5 but I could misremember it

Btw some character is great if you cuatomize its tree skill and weapons

jonno394

Glad I gave Resident Evil: Revelations HD a chance after not enjoying it on the 3DS. Currently playing through it on my PC, just finished Episode 9. Really enjoying it, will likely buy Revelations 2 on the back of this, even if it's not really related to the first, plot wise.

Glad I gave Resident Evil: Revelations HD a chance after not enjoying it on the 3DS. Currently playing through it on my PC, just finished Episode 9. Really enjoying it, will likely buy Revelations 2 on the back of this, even if it's not really related to the first, plot wise.

Yeah, I'm really glad the HD version happened. I had a great time with Rev 1 on the 3DS but the whole time I was playing it I couldn't stop wishing that I was playing it on a bigger screen, with better controls. My hands cramped so bad playing it on 3DS.

BTails

I enjoy Revelations quite a bit when it came out, but you're in for a realt treat with RER2! It's my favourite RE game since 5 by far.

jonno394

Yeah, I'm really glad the HD version happened. I had a great time with Rev 1 on the 3DS but the whole time I was playing it I couldn't stop wishing that I was playing it on a bigger screen, with better controls. My hands cramped so bad playing it on 3DS.

Yeah I could never get to grips with the controls tbh, and ended up giving up during the boss fight during episode 3, as I couldn't deal with the combat!

Speaking of Mercs 3D, Barry's alt outfit was amazing in that. lol
Barry%27s_Alternate_Costume_Resident_Evil_The_Mercenaries_3d.jpg
Since RE7 is going in a much more serious direction, Capcom should make Mercenaries a separate multiplayer-focused spinoff line of games where they can keep including goofy costumes like this. Forget ORC and Umbrella Corps and give us Mercenaries 2 instead.

TreIII

Yeah I'm curious if RE7 will have anything gameplay wise comparable to Mercs.

Well, I think it would have to depend on if the gameplay in 7 could be adapted in such a way.

I'm just choosing to take the quote that they're going to "separate the aspects of RE into different titles" as a hint that we'll be rewarded with a new standalone Mercs+Raid solution, soon enough.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I think I said this originally in the RE5 thread, but I think it would be cool if the next Raid Mode takes some cues from Desperate Escape

Bladenic

Man RE5 is really igniting my RE itch. Plan on getting RE6 PS4 next. Really should've gotten the origins collection on PS4, damn. I have an inkling to replay RER2 on PS4 too.

Can't wait for RE7, to say the least. I would love RER3 to be announced too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Mansion map is out for Umbrella corps. It's fun. though only recreates about a third of the mansion (but Umbrella Corps maps are small).

Yeah I'm curious if RE7 will have anything gameplay wise comparable to Mercs.

I have been wondering this too, but I'm pretty certain they will have a bonus mode at least. While the original release of RE1 didn't have a bonus mode, literally every main RE game (starting with the Director's Cut of RE1) has had an extra unlockable post-game mode in it. I think Capcom is aware that bonus modes are such a staple with RE at this point, especially with the success of Mercenaries and Raid Mode with them. I'm not sure if they'll have something exactly like Mercs/Raid though, and at the very least they're listing this game as single-player only on their store pages. I'm actually wondering if they may go back to the RE1-RE3/Code Veronica style and have a sort of 'Battle Mode' version of the game to go through? Or maybe they may try something new, ala Leech Hunter in Zero?

Anyways, I'm pretty certain the game will have an unlockable mode and other unlockables, the question is what kind? To note is that RE7 is already confirmed to have bonus DLC episodes that come with the Deluxe Edition, and will be available seperately, so extra content is already on the table. or to quote them;

RESIDENT EVIL 7 BIOHAZARD, a thrillingly immersive horror experience, ushers in a new era of horror. The Deluxe Edition includes the main game as well as Additional Content 1 and 2 upon their release.

*Add-On Content 1: Four Short Side Stories
*Add-On Content 2: One Additional Story Episode

But I imagine it'll probably have unlockable stuff like the other games (unlockable mode, weapons... Maybe costumes for other characters since you're in first person?).

Gradon

I could see a battle mode coming, especially if it's taking Inspiration from classic Resident Evil games; where's the main game is based on horror and survival / item management, the battle mode being more action with full Arsenal and lots of bullets and enemies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've grown more excited for Resident Evil 7 within the last month. Firstly, it's weird to think it's already almost been a month since RE7 was revealed, but more so I don't think this was the direction anyone was quite expecting RE7 to take. In retrospective, it makes some sense, even though it wasn't inspired by P.T., and there was evidence months to a year before... The Kitchen logo T being a cut off 7 being one of them, the fact the Capcom report from earlier this year mentioning the Resident Evil team was working with VR (which I brought up meant they were probably making a VR Resident Evil game, though some thought it was something else, but neither I nor them would of expected it was RE7 I think), and all of these comments from Capcom over the last few years about 'horror being liable again,' 'the mainline titles give us an opportunity to be more experimental,' and the works. Turns out they were giving small hints for years, just everybody had it so ingrained into them that RE7 was going to be a co-op action title maybe with stronger atmosphere I don't think anyone really saw this coming.

I actually literally commented a bit before E3 that I hope RE7 takes place in the isolated farmland country. I think desolated farms are underused in horror games, and re extremely creepy and can give the right vibe for a RE title, but I didn't expect them to go through with it, and not quite like this. The one potential issue I may see coming is that Outlast 2 releases three months before RE7, and it is a first-person horror game taking place in a small country village, but I also suspect that RE7 will be very different from Outlast 2 for too many comparisons (RE7 has combat, probably designed quite differently), that and the demo being out there may make the opposite comparison actually be made. Anyways, I'm all for two bigger budget isolated country games to look forward to.

But outside of this, I think I've simply just grown fonder of the idea sitting on it. I didn't have an extremely negative reaction when I saw RE7, my first reaction was actually curiosity and bewilderment, it wasn't what I was expecting at all despite I called it was RE7 right at the beginning of the trailer, since it mentioned Kitchen (a previous Capcom VR Horror game, after all) and it was certain that RE7 would be at E3, so I thought this might be it before the footage even started rolling past the Kitchen logo. But I didn't know quite what to think. I actually liked the demo well enough, despite how relatively simple it is and lack of scares, but it did have a good mood.

However, I think I've just grown kind of excited for the idea. Outside of the fact this is one of the few AAA first-person horror games, or hell, AAA horror games to be made in something like the last 10 years (the indie scene is booming, but there is only a small handful of big budget horror games made these days, and surprisingly less from the first-person perspective), this could work well based on how they handle it. They have confirmed this is not a supernatural ghost story, and is tied into the events of the Resident Evil franchise. I'm curious if we may see some new twist on some old Resident Evil monsters in the game... Which actually leads me to something I personally and hugely excited about. I have said for years that Resident Evil could become scarier simply by making less supplies, more isolated environments, creepier sound design, and a focus on more individualized but threatening monsters who aren't always best to just shoot at, but running is for the best at times too and the monsters, while more limited in number, have more personality and memorable encounters stacked with them. They have commented that RE7 will feature, 'Fewer But More Meaningful Enemies. We&#8217;re trying take it into a more personal and intimate scale of horror by there being fewer enemies, but each one poses a significant threat. That&#8217;s the kind of horror approach we&#8217;re going for." <-- That is something I am really excited for, for some reason.

There's a lot more now that the storm is gone, and I appreciate their approach to mostly not show anything from the main game and instead focus on these demo's (it seems next to confirmed another demo will be releasing in September), I don't know. I have this feeling that this game will actually be something really special, but to be seen. This comes from a person who's a fan of the older and newer style games and a broader interest in horror, so I may be more open-minded to this possibility than some, and I probably would of been happy with it being a co-op action shooter with horror tones... But I wouldn't of been this excited for it. I can feel myself getting more excited for it. I guess we'll see it in a little less than half a year, and sounds like we have at least one more, if not more, demo's to look forward to.

PaulBizkit

Ok, I finally finished Resident Evil 1 (with Jill) on psx
thank you, psp

This game was phenomenal. The exploration, puzzles and action were the highlight of the experience. The survival was good at the beginning but, if you are careful, you can save plenty of ammo and herbs. This was a bit disappointing because this is the only RE game (besides CVX) that I haven't played, and everybody always told me "RE3, RE4 give you ammo like crazy... those are easy, play the first one. THAT is a game where you barely have any bullets".

gfs_28002_2_66.jpg

The voice acting is amazing, best in any game ever.
I was eager as hell to get to the next cutscene so I can hear Jill and barry say crazy things. Not just the Jill Sandwich part, but also the Barry saying "I've got THIS!" while flashing a gun; and, after defeating the giant snake and having his body melting across the floor, Barry casually comes in and says "find anything interesting, Jill?" and Jill says "yes, there is a hole here" AND A BIG-ASS SNAKE MELTING ON THE ******* FLOOR, YOU DIMWITS !!!

latest

Now thanks to this game I have completely clear what the T-Virus actually is. It's a
virus designed to make the Tyrant Bio Weapon, not the zombies. The zombies are scientists that got infected during the development of the T-Virus

Got the best ending with Jill and I want to play with Chris now but i think i will play something else before. Amazing, amazing game.

The one potential issue I may see coming is that Outlast 2 releases three months before RE7, and it is a first-person horror game taking place in a small country village, but I also suspect that RE7 will be very different from Outlast 2 for too many comparisons (RE7 has combat, probably designed quite differently),

The comparisons are going to be all over the place. But if RE7 spends a few bucks on marketing and gets the word out, then Outlast 2 won't be an issue at all.

Besides the fact that RE7 has combat, another major difference between it and Outlast 2 is the fact that RE7 won't involve the supernatural in its story. Outlast on the other hand did have supernatural elements and it's safe to assume its sequel will as well.

I expect to enjoy RE7's story a LOT more for that reason. I loved Outlast but its story was not the reason why.

Zambatoh

Ok, I finally finished Resident Evil 1 (with Jill) on psx
thank you, psp

This game was phenomenal. The exploration, puzzles and action were the highlight of the experience. The survival was good at the beginning but, if you are careful, you can save plenty of ammo and herbs. This was a bit disappointing because this is the only RE game (besides CVX) that I haven't played, and everybody always told me "RE3, RE4 give you ammo like crazy... those are easy, play the first one. THAT is a game where you barely have any bullets".

I've been saying this for a long time. Resident Evil as a whole has always been an Action-Adventure series at it's core with very light elements of Horror.
Sure you can avoid enemies and save some ammo and herbs. But in the end, you're just gonna find your item box full of ammo that never got used and facepalm when you realize you could've saved yourself a lot of trouble if you just killed the damned things the first time around.

Jawmuncher

Took a picture of my RE collection. It's missing some stuff that I plan on covering at some point. Would like to have every game released in NA on all platforms.
This is the stuff I have not pictured or digitally (will get them physically some day).

Not Pictured
RE2 N64
Revelations 3DS case
Mercenaries 3DS case
Outbreak
Outbreak file 2
Code Veronica X PS2
Weskers Report
RE: Dead Aim
Code Veronica DC

Digital:
RE: Mercs
Revelations 2 PC
REmake HD PC
RE0 HD PC
RE4 (PC, 360, PS3)
Code Veronica (360 & PS3)
RE1 PSN
RE2 PSN
RE3 PSN
RE5 PC
RE6 (PC & PSN)
Revelations 1 PC
Umbrella Corps pS4
Umbrella Chronicles PS3
Darkside Chronicles PS3
Operation Racoon City PC

JayEH

I've been saying this for a long time. Resident Evil as a whole has always been an Action-Adventure series at it's core with very light elements of Horror.
Sure you can avoid enemies and save some ammo and herbs. But in the end, you're just gonna find your item box full of ammo that never got used and facepalm when you realize you could've saved yourself a lot of trouble if you just killed the damned things the first time around.

Having played all of the games this year (most of for the first time) I agree with this. To me 4 really just shifted the camera perspective (which I think some people forget that OTS was revolutionary at the time) and got rid most of the puzzles and backtracking which I welcome. Though I love 6 it did really go a bit too far in the action side of things which is why I hoped for 7 they would find that happy medium again like 4 but instead we got what we got...

PaulBizkit

That's true. I never fired a single magnum shot. Pistol for zombies, shotgun for hunters and bazooka for the bosses.

Although this game made me want to use the knife whenever i could. Each slice does about 75% of the damage a gun shot does but it was helpful.
Meanwhile in RE2 and 3, the knife went straight into the deposit box.

Top Bottom