• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL Community Thread: Tank Controls > *

kyubajin

The "spin offs" are mostly all canon, so if you want a full look at the story, they are nice to have. Though not essential. A proper series playthrough would be like:

BH0
Nightmare (ignore Yawn and Richard getting bitten in the library)
BH1
Rebirth
Outbreak & File 2 (in order; Outbreak, Hellfire, Wild Things, Underbelly, Flashback, The Hive, Below Freezing Point, Desperate Times)
BH3 (first half)
BH2
The 4th Survivor
BH3 (second half)
Decisions, Decisions
End of the Road
Death's Door
Gun Survivor
CODE:Veronica
Operation Javier
Gun Survivor 4
Umbrella's End
Dark Legacy
BH4
Separate Ways
Degeneration
Revelations
BH5

The overall storyline progresses rather well if you play through the series in chrono-order.

This is a very good list. I've played most of the canon RE games and some of this names don't strike a cord with me... would you be so kind as to reference them better? Maybe include the full game name and platforms?

klee123

Anyone here preordered Volume 2 of the Archives? Was thinking of getting the first volume, but it's soooo expensive =(

Continued my playthrough of Director's Cut. Jill, Arrange(?).

Began at the start of the Guardhouse. I went through the Shark Pool once, buuuut got to the other side and realized I didn't have the key. I forgot, you had to defeat Plant 42 first to get the key in Arrange. :/

So I mix the herp-a-derp Math-Joltz, 42 goes down in a few explosive rounds and a flame round, where I got annoyed I couldn't reload grenade types like all the other games :(

After I climb out of the Shark Pool, I see Wesker shooting straight above the carcass of a giant spider instead of a swarm of bees (not sure which is less retarded)

I get back to the mansion, treated by an FMV of a re-colored zombie hand menacingly leaping toward my position. The first hunter goes down after a couple flame rounds (stupid stupid stupid), but the next two outside the Save Room send me down to danger. I do a full heal, but one of the hunters is already mid-pounce and my head is gone anyway :(

I reload and backtrack through the courtyard, blast through the first three hunters, save. I go upstairs and beat Snaku and climbed down the hole with Barry's help. I decide to not wait for Barry and instead to go explorin' the cellar. There is now an army of hunters ready to claw my shins/neck. This area is graced with the best bgm in a Resident Evil video entertainment software application TM

In the kitchen I am ambushed by an abnormally fast zombie (someone has munchies) and go up the elevator to the 2F Library. Not trusting Barry bites me in the ass here. I try to go to the "password door", but the door can't be opened AT ALL without Barry's help. fuuuuuccckkkk. And the save room is practically on the other side of it, too :(

Inventory full, I backtrack through the kitchen, get up the stairs and brace myself for a couple of hunters. However, they've been replaced by some pussy spiders. Yay. The celebration is short lived as I get killed by two hunters in the next hallway. I mouth to the TV "Fuck this shit" and turn the PS3 off.

kuYuri

Anyone here preordered Volume 2 of the Archives? Was thinking of getting the first volume, but it's soooo expensive =(

I did, bought Vol. 1 when it was relatively normal priced. I unfortunately had to resort to ordering Vol. 2 from Gohastings via Amazon and the shipping speed is atrocious.

EDIT: Oh wow, I lied! It came in today. Tracking made it sound it it would take at least another week or two to arrive.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just bought RE5 gold edition from PSN.

Let me say... massive regret. These goodamned controls are awful. I'm sorry, but this is the worst shit in gaming. Even worse than MGS4!

And the forced AI co-op is kind of annoying, but it wouldn't be so bad if this stupid bitch would stop fucking running in front of me! Jesus Christ. Every five steps she runs right into me. Makes the controls feel even worse than they are.

Lol... I hate this so far.

Magnus

I consider myself a huge RE fan, but haven't touched a thing outside the main five numbered entires + Veronica, as well as some of their re-releases/remakes.

I tried Umbrella Chronicles briefly and found myself quickly frustrated (not a light gun gamer I guess) and bored.

I don't even know where half the stuff in that list at the top of this page is from, lol.

edit- I lied, I played Outbreak briefly as well, and even had the PS2 HD for faster load times, and it was still terrible.

Curufinwe

Let me say... massive regret. These goodamned controls are awful. I'm sorry, but this is the worst shit in gaming. Even worse than MGS4!

And the forced AI co-op is kind of annoying, but it wouldn't be so bad if this stupid bitch would stop fucking running in front of me! Jesus Christ. Every five steps she runs right into me. Makes the controls feel even worse than they are.

Which control type are you using and did you play RE 4?

Gravijah

wait, are you saying mgs4 has bad controls? i remember them being great.

Evolved1

Which control type are you using and did you play RE 4?

I played RE4 on Gamecube. It was fine at the time, (and one of my favorite gaming experiences) but I never liked the controls.

I recently bought RE4 HD on PSN, and I couldn't play it. Just... I can't stomach the controls, like left stick aim, or really anything about it. For me, the game has not aged well.

RE5 has right stick aim, at least, but all the controls are gross. I tried every config. Right now I'm playing with the last one (D, I think?) where the camera is basically locked to your 12 o'clock. The other config has a pseudo free-cam thing that I despise. The sensitivity of it weird, and I constantly fumble with it. Actually, it'd be more accurate to say I constantly fight with it. Another issues is, unlike Leon in RE4, Chris seems to take up the entire freakin screen. It's just hard to see anything. Especially in the D config, with the camera locked, it's so hard to look above or below. Just to look around he turns his entire goddamned body. It feels so cheap. Even Bethesda's Fallout TPV camera was better than this. It's just amateur hour everywhere I look. And the controls make it worse. And this bitch I swear to god constantly gets in my way.

They have that one config that I guess is trying to cater to the FPS crowd but it's so lazily done... I feel like these developers are fucking inept. Just clueless.

The one positive is the character model for the chick. Love it. Really cool character. Would rather play as her. Though I'd settle for her just staying the fuck out of my way. I'm trying to be all cautious walking down a corridor or through a house, and then every five steps she bolts in front of/into my character. Smh.

wait, are you saying mgs4 has bad controls? i remember them being great.

lol

Anth0ny

Anyone know if it's possible to use the GC controller with Xbox 360? The GC controller is my ideal RE controller, I'd like to play 5 (and eventually 6) with it.

I figure, if this is possible, surely the same could be done with a GC controller.

kuYuri

I played RE4 on Gamecube. It was fine at the time, (and one of my favorite gaming experiences) but I never liked the controls.

I recently bought RE4 HD on PSN, and I couldn't play it. Just... I can't stomach the controls, like left stick aim, or really anything about it. For me, the game has not aged well.

RE5 has right stick aim, at least, but all the controls are gross. I tried every config. Right now I'm playing with the last one (D, I think?) where the camera is basically locked to your 12 o'clock. The other config has a pseudo free-cam thing that I despise. The sensitivity of it weird, and I constantly fumble with it. Actually, it'd be more accurate to say I constantly fight with it. Another issues is, unlike Leon in RE4, Chris seems to take up the entire freakin screen. It's just hard to see anything. Especially in the D config, with the camera locked, it's so hard to look above or below. Just to look around he turns his entire goddamned body. It feels so cheap. Even Bethesda's Fallout TPV camera was better than this. It's just amateur hour everywhere I look. And the controls make it worse. And this bitch I swear to god constantly gets in my way.

They have that one config that I guess is trying to cater to the FPS crowd but it's so lazily done... I feel like these developers are fucking inept. Just clueless.

The one positive is the character model for the chick. Love it. Really cool character. Would rather play as her. Though I'd settle for her just staying the fuck out of my way. I'm trying to be all cautious walking down a corridor or through a house, and then every five steps she bolts in front of/into my character. Smh.

You can play as her after beating the game once.

Evolved1

Do you think anyone plays this co-op? I mean... I'm right at the beginning. Had like one miniboss fight where I fried a thing in an oven. It's still very early.

Seems like most people who own the game would be too far along. Or not playing co-op anymore.

Do you think anyone plays this co-op? I mean... I'm right at the beginning. Had like one miniboss fight where I fried a thing in an oven. It's still very early.

Seems like most people who own the game would be too far along. Or not playing co-op anymore.

on controls, if you have access to a move controller, you might like how that plays more. not saying run out and buy one, but if you know someone you can borrow it off it's definately worth trying out.

Evolved1

on controls, if you have access to a move controller, you might like how that plays more. not saying run out and buy one, but if you know someone you can borrow it off it's definately worth trying out.

I do have a few actually... never thought about it lol.

I think because I preferred RE4 on Gamecube to the Wii version. But maybe not anymore. Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it later today.

Huh, this thread's OP was murdered.

Andrex is flying around the Resident Evil |OT|, situated at the bottom of page one of the Community, searching for his compatriots, the RE Bros.

There were reports in the Community section of a mass amount of old |OT|s with broken links to images. The links were apparently...eaten.

So I'm finally finishing off Revelations. I'd been saving this for the right time. This feels like the right time. Just finished episodes 10 and 11 and starting 12. Wish me luck oh dead patrons of the RE community thread.

edit: and roll credits. that was fantastic all in all. i'd put it slightly below RE2, which is slightly below RE:make, which is a fair ways below RE4. definately keeps me optimistic for the future of the franchise. hopefully the two big issues from the RE6 demo get fixed (tearing and camera) and it ends up being at least as good as Revelations. fingers crossed!

kuYuri

Can anyone comment on the PC port of RE: Operation Raccoon City? How does it compare to previous Capcom PC ports?

soultron

Banned
Just got a Vita and have an urge to start playing RE again. I've played nearly every RE game but haven't finished any except for 4. (Please don't hate me!)

I just bought Revelations on 3DS but haven't started playing it. With that and the fact that I currently only own Vita/3DS right now, what games should I play and what order?

I'm really itching to play RE2 on the Vita, then RE3, and maybe RE1 (I wish I still had my GCN and copy of REmake...) if I'm not worn down. Then I plan on starting RE: R.

Is this a good order, would you say?

Mr_Zombie

Just got a Vita and have an urge to start playing RE again. I've played nearly every RE game but haven't finished any except for 4. (Please don't hate me!)

I just bought Revelations on 3DS but haven't started playing it. With that and the fact that I currently only own Vita/3DS right now, what games should I play and what order?

I'm really itching to play RE2 on the Vita, then RE3, and maybe RE1 (I wish I still had my GCN and copy of REmake...) if I'm not worn down. Then I plan on starting RE: R.

Is this a good order, would you say?

I think playing RE1 (if you want to play it eventually) before 2 and 3 is a better idea. RE1 is more rough than RE2 and 3 (you don't even see your health status unless you open inventory screen). And with additions to the gameplay that RE3 provides (quick turn, dodges) RE1 will feel even more stiff.

soultron

Banned
I think playing RE1 (if you want to play it eventually) before 2 and 3 is a better idea. RE1 is more rough than RE2 and 3 (you don't even see your health status unless you open inventory screen). And with additions to the gameplay that RE3 provides (quick turn, dodges) RE1 will feel even more stiff.

Thanks for the rec! I bought it on PSN for the Vita today, excited to rip into it sometime this weekend. It was double the price of RE2/3... :c Anyhow, excited to get back into RE.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
been playing RE5 again, I don't know why but I really enjoy the game. Only thing I still hate is 2-3, so bad.

News Bot

Banned
Time to inject some G-Virus into this thread.

I've recently uploaded cutscenes for the following (all 720p)...

biohazard 4
Separate Ways / The Another Order
Assignment Ada
BIOHAZARD 5
BIOHAZARD CODE:Veronica
BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS
BIOHAZARD THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES

Working on the rest of the games. Have a few from BIO0. Some FMV kinks that need resolved in that one (dropping frames at random points).

Also have;

Wesker's Report (720p)
Directors HAZARD (Subtitled - Interview with Mikami, Kamiya, Katoh, Aoyama and Karatsuma)

Plenty of beta videos and such too, and a lot more videos to come in general. Ten more likes to the Project Umbrella page on Facebook and we'll also be releasing never-before-seen CODE:Veronica artwork. :)

Teknoman

I think so. They seem to be about on par with the PC versions graphically, and they've got jump pack compatibility for rumble.

That being said, its been awhile since i've played either. About to move onto RE2 myself after having beaten RE1 Saturn for the first time (never played the original) and it really makes no sense why they cut the final boss if you dont save Rebecca as Chris.

Then again I must have saved her in REmake...played as Chris back in the day, and I remember the whole self destruct and everything.

I dont remember, but hopefully RE2 and 3 dont have any nonsense like that. I can understand bad endings or not so good endings, but dont cut a final showdown.

EDIT: So Ada was around the mansion in RE1 as well, unless that password is referring to a different person.

chemicals

just finished re6.. I really liked it. I was expecting a broken game and was pleasantly surprised that its pretty solid. Leon, Ada, and Jakes campaigns were really enjoyable imo. Chris's campaign at the end was the only weakness. But even his campaign is more good than bad.
Just a little history.. Im a huge resident evil fan - love 1, 2, 3, code veronica.. Not a big fan of 4 or 5.. Decent games but nothing that feels like resident evil. I think 6 really slammed it. Also for single player fans, this is a fucking HUGE game. Totally worth the 7 bucks from amazon.

Oh yes also remake is brilliant, 0 is terrible. Never played revalations.

Playing REmake for the first time...it's so good it's criminal that Capcom hasn't either rereleased it for current systems, or made a REmake 2.

Mr Croft

Yay an RE thread.

I have played every single RE game (I assume others have as well) and my top 3 list is as follows:

Resident evil 2
Resident evil 4
resident evil 3

I consider myself an old school RE fan I missed the old horror scares and puzzles. Not a big fan if new school RE with all the rolling, sliding and QTEs going on. But I still play them because my fanboyism won't let them go unplayed.

my favorite characters are Rebecca, Carlos olivera, and piers nivans (idk he was the coolest new character they have ever created)

I wish to see RE back to it roots with horror; but it can be difficult to please all fans because some are post Re 4 fans. I want to see old character return instead if new characters every game. Where is Barry, Rebecca, Claire? Geez where is Steve Burnside too?

strafer

Is it just me or could David Boreanaz pull off a Chris Redfield?

David_Boreanaz.jpg
20120410_bio6_cg_chris.jpg

Evolved1

Omg my posts in this thread are so embarrassing. Hard to read them back, honestly.

Especially since RE5 has become my favorite RE game. Amazing turnaround.

Obviously I was too harsh and rushed to judgement. Just so crazy to see those posts... lol. So embarrassed by them. hahaha

The internet never forgets.

Seyavesh

let loose the dogs of war and argue forever about how RE was ruined or wasn't ruined

in the meantime, my ploy to be able to post more gifs worked

YearlyFrankDairycow.gif

Evolved1

Do you have a gif of Chris saying Shhhuuudduuuppp to Piers?

My favorite RE moment. It was so great.

Jawmuncher

I hope Rev manages to be a better balanced game than Rev 1.
Beat rev 1 on 3DS, PC, and 360. Game just never sat well. Liked the ideas but not how they were implemented.

Top Bottom