• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL Community Thread: Tank Controls > *

strafer

Speaking of movies.

I picked some favorites a while back, I could see those.

re_castmrrgj.jpg

re_cast2ivpaw.jpg

re_cast4w9r6c.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been thinking through the main RE games and the ones I haven't played ever are:

RE0
Revelations

The ones I've started and not finished are:

RE4
RE:CVX

RE0 sounds like it's going to be remastered so I'm just going to wait on that one. RE:CVX I plan to finish once I beat REmaster. My question is, is Revelations worth it? I'm thinking of playing it on PC once I'm done with REmaster and CVX considering Revelations 2 is coming out this year.

Jawmuncher

So I've been thinking through the main RE games and the ones I haven't played ever are:

RE0
Revelations

RE4

RE0 sounds like it's going to be remastered so I'm just going to wait on that one. RE:CVX I plan to finish once I beat REmaster. My question is, is Revelations worth it? I'm thinking of playing it on PC once I'm done with REmaster and CVX considering Revelations 2 is coming out this year.

Revelations is still worth a play.
It's very divisive but not that much. Just do a regular playthrough on normal and go from there. It is technically canon so it has that as well.

Miguel81

From what I've played I rather enjoyed Revelations(the atmosphere, but it's a like clunky/sloppy control-wise). Infernal difficulty is a PITA, so if you're looking for a challenge you can start on that in the PC version.

On another note, I remember the RE1 paintings puzzle being much more difficult in the vanilla version, to the point where I was stuck for days(looked it up in a guide). From the DC to the REmake it is much simpler to get through that section, so I figure they realized it was too cryptic.

Manu

RE0
Revelations

RE4

Personally I found Revelations to be inferior to RE5 and 6.

For all the flack 5 and 6 got for being action over horror, I found some parts of Leon's campaign in 6 closer to classic RE than anything on Revelations.

The levels that take place in the Queen Zenobia are great. There's a lot of backtracking but no puzzles. Also, half of the levels in the game don't even take place in the ship. Some levels are straight up shooting galleries against bullet sponge enemies at daylight, and it's actually worse than the mainline games in that setting up melee attacks is harder (especially against
the hunters
).

I liked it, but it's possibly my least favorite canon RE. It's worth a playthrough but it's not the return to form many people say it is. Half of the game is modern RE through and through, not sure why so many people seem to forget that.

Bl@de

Personally I found Revelations to be inferior to RE5 and 6.

For all the flack 5 and 6 got for being action over horror, I found some parts of Leon's campaign in 6 closer to classic RE than anything on Revelations.

The levels that take place in the Queen Zenobia are great. There's a lot of backtracking but no puzzles. Also, half of the levels in the game don't even take place in the ship. Some levels are straight up shooting galleries against bullet sponge enemies at daylight, and it's actually worse than the mainline games in that setting up melee attacks is harder (especially against
the hunters
).

I liked it, but it's possibly my least favorite canon RE. It's worth a playthrough but it's not the return to form many people say it is. Half of the game is modern RE through and through, not sure why so many people seem to forget that.

Problems I have with Revelations:
- Bullets have no impact on enemies. They just walk towards you without even reacting when you hit them. It has a terribly cheap feeling to it. Except shotgun blasts on hunters and some other situations
- Sometimes I feel like the game is throwing more enemies at you than RE6. For example every Arena where 100 hunters appear and you just kill them off one by one. These things where one-hit machines in RE1. Now they are little gremlins. I don't see the "return to horror" people talk about
- The characters are so boring and/or terrible. Parker is utterly boring but Jessica is really terrible. What's up with the outfit? Women where serious characters in Resident Evil. A long time ago ...
- The level design is annoying. Long corridors with elevators with nothing in between. No maze, no puzzles. Just run to the next objective marker
- The genesis scanner ... oh good is it annoying. I don't even want to talk about that stupid scanning for objects. Like you wouldn't see bullets lying on a table. Yeah ...
- Controls (WASD+Mouse). Pressing forward you run, using the mouse you look ... so far so good. But pressing A or D results in a slow sidestep that breaks the whole movement speed and annoys me to death. There are two options. RE4 tank controls or RE6 free movement. Both are okay. But Revelations is just terrible.

All in all I think Revelations is the worst mainline RE game. IMHO it's not bad, it's abysmal. I only forced myself through it because I wanted to see the story (which felt really cheap, you were smelling "small spin-off" all over. Reminded me of the boring CGI movies).

PS. Yay RE OT

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Problems I have with Revelations:
- Bullets have no impact on enemies. They just walk towards you without even reacting when you hit them. It has a terribly cheap feeling to it. Except shotgun blasts on hunters and some other situations
- Sometimes I feel like the game is throwing more enemies at you than RE6. For example every Arena where 100 hunters appear and you just kill them off one by one. These things where one-hit machines in RE1. Now they are little gremlins. I don't see the "return to horror" people talk about
- The characters are so boring and/or terrible. Parker is utterly boring but Jessica is really terrible. What's up with the outfit? Women where serious characters in Resident Evil. A long time ago ...
- The level design is annoying. Long corridors with elevators with nothing in between. No maze, no puzzles. Just run to the next objective marker
- The genesis scanner ... oh good is it annoying. I don't even want to talk about that stupid scanning for objects. Like you wouldn't see bullets lying on a table. Yeah ...
- Controls (WASD+Mouse). Pressing forward you run, using the mouse you look ... so far so good. But pressing A or D results in a slow sidestep that breaks the whole movement speed and annoys me to death. There are two options. RE4 tank controls or RE6 free movement. Both are okay. But Revelations is just terrible.

All in all I think Revelations is the worst mainline RE game. IMHO it's not bad, it's abysmal. I only forced myself through it because I wanted to see the story (which felt really cheap, you were smelling "small spin-off" all over. Reminded me of the boring CGI movies).

PS. Yay RE OT

Yikes! That sounds pretty bad haha...

I mean I'll play it eventually because it's RE and I'll play anything RE, but man. Maybe I'll put it at the bottom of my list.

Miguel81

I'm starting a RE4 Pro run today. I really want that P.R.L. 412.

Just finished mine up recently. The main Krauser fight was the most difficult section in comparison to normal. It was time well spent for the goodies, and I'm gonna be back when the HD project is well enough along. Enjoy your run, man!

strafer

So something I heard recently was in the beginning village with the chainsaw you can actually skip killing all the enemies and instead run around for a set amount of time and then it will end, that would be a real ammo saver if true?

Does anyone know the set time?

So something I heard recently was in the beginning village with the chainsaw you can actually skip killing all the enemies and instead run around for a set amount of time and then it will end, that would be a real ammo saver if true?

Sounds like a really bad idea, especially given that RE4 generally gives you more ammo than you expend. You're better off fighting because that's how you get dem pesetas (if you wanna be really pro-level, try to take out the chainsaw dude chasing you around AND the one near the exit to the area for a lot of money). Killing enemies in RE4 is always a better idea than not doing so, and ammo really isn't likely to be a problem.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Not sure what the set time is but I do believe that section is indeed set to a timer so you can go around not killing anyone if you want. It's the exact same setup as in RE5 in that first village fight with the executioner: you can just run around for a few minutes avoiding everyone until the timer is up.

The problem though is you'll eventually get swarmed with so many enemies that you will end up taking hits. It's generally a good idea to kill at least a few enemies as you run around in order to limit the number of enemies that are chasing you and throwing axes at your head.

Speaking of movies.

I picked some favorites a while back, I could see those.

re_castmrrgj.jpg

re_cast2ivpaw.jpg

re_cast4w9r6c.jpg

Those first two are damn near perfect. Not sure about Wesker, though. It's hard to imagine any actor successfully pulling off Wesker; he's very much a larger-than-life character. Maybe Michael Fassbender?

Manu

10896900_10205973336482434_5016852115359574459_n.jpg

Not too shabby, considering I only played through the original once.

Now Zero is officially the only mainline RE that I haven't played. And I need to finish CVX someday. I got stuck at the final boss on my original PS2 playthrough. The fact that there's a point of no return that can screw you of all your weapons and the game doesn't warn you is the reason I resent CVX to this day. I haven't returned to it since.

Bl@de

Yikes! That sounds pretty bad haha...

I mean I'll play it eventually because it's RE and I'll play anything RE, but man. Maybe I'll put it at the bottom of my list.

Well I'm not to angry because I bought it for 5€. But still, ... I don't understand the reviews. You can close your eyes on a lot of points when looking at a mobile game. But I'm playing it on PC.

Oh and yeah, the FoV is something like 50. So have fun getting sick or get yourself a FoV hack that needs Alt+Tabbing every time you start the game.

God I shouldn't talk about Revelations. Makes my blood boil (mainly because of the good things I heard about it, I don't see them). For me RE6 is waaaaaay above Revelations. At least you can superslam Ustanak with Jake and kick everybodys ass. Stupid but fun and with good gameplay.

strafer

Not sure what the set time is but I do believe that section is indeed set to a timer so you can go around not killing anyone if you want. It's the exact same setup as in RE5 in that first village fight with the executioner: you can just run around for a few minutes avoiding everyone until the timer is up.

The problem though is you'll eventually get swarmed with so many enemies that you will end up taking hits. It's generally a good idea to kill at least a few enemies as you run around in order to limit the number of enemies that are chasing you and throwing axes at your head.

Those first two are damn near perfect. Not sure about Wesker, though. It's hard to imagine any actor successfully pulling off Wesker; he's very much a larger-than-life character. Maybe Michael Fassbender?

If there's one actor that could do it it's Guy Pearce.

Which is who I linked.

Bl@de

Come on guys. Resident Evil is cheesy. Wesker is a martial arts killing machine.

Perfect choice:
Picture-99.png

Age and style fits RE5 wesker. Of course you have to imagine longer blonde hair.

wesker.jpg

Bulzeeb

Hi guys, so I am planning to start playing RE6 pc for the first time during this week and I'd like to play the coop sections with my brother who also has the game, I read that the coop is different from what they did with RE5 so do you any tips? recomendations? any infoof what can I do and what i can't do compared to the previous game?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hi guys, so I am planning to start playing RE6 pc for the first time during this week and I'd like to play the coop sections with my brother who also has the game, I read that the coop is different from what they did with RE5 so do you any tips? recomendations? any infoof what can I do and what i can't do compared to the previous game?

People will tell you to split up the stories and play chronologically... I don;t agree with them. I say play the campaigns in order. It's neat how the story builds on itself as you learn more from each perspective. Until you finally play as Ada and get all the story answers revealed.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

So there is a great thread that Neiteio put together about how to use the combat system:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

The game has some amazing combat mechanics but Capcom doesn't really explain any of them, so this thread is your best bet. Also keep in mind that this game is more action-oriented than RE5, so go into it expecting a shooter and not some atmospheric horror game.

Also, if you don't end up enjoying the campaign, don't neglect to play Mercenaries. It is quite possibly the single most fun arcade mode of any game from last gen.

Bulzeeb

So there is a great thread that Neiteio put together about how to use the combat system:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

The game has some amazing combat mechanics but Capcom doesn't really explain any of them, so this thread is your best bet. Also keep in mind that this game is more action-oriented than RE5, so go into it expecting a shooter and not some atmospheric horror game.

Also, if you don't end up enjoying the campaign, don't neglect to play Mercenaries. It is quite possibly the single most fun arcade mode of any game from last gen.

Nice tips there, is this game better with a gamepad or should I use the kb+m combo?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Nice tips there, is this game better with a gamepad or should I use the kb+m combo?

I played this game on 360 and I can tell you the controller works pretty well, especially considering the large number of button combos you will need to use (i.e., press A + a direction to roll in that direction, then hold the left trigger to stay on the ground and shoot... I can imagine this being annoying to do on a keyboard).

Bl@de

kb/m beats controller in re6 because of accuracy etc. Capcom did a great job.
Except some quick-time-events where you have to mash wasd in a circle ... but you can always switch on the fly to a controller. Just try both.

RE0
Revelations

RE4

You didn't finish RE4?
Revelations has 2 halfs, the parts where you play as Jill which are great imo and the parts where you play with other characters which are horrible shooting galleries. It's worth playing for the former.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You didn't finish RE4?
Revelations has 2 halfs, the parts where you play as Jill which are great imo and the parts where you play with other characters which are horrible shooting galleries. It's worth playing for the former.

I was never a huge fan of RE4. I never had a GC in school so I would see my friends playing RE4 but I never got to play it myself. The first RE game I ever played was RE5, which I loved. When I tried to go back and play RE4 I found it a lot more stiff and unwieldy than RE5 so I never finished it. I dunno, I just don't get all the love for it.

Manu

I was never a huge fan of RE4. I never had a GC in school so I would see my friends playing RE4 but I never got to play it myself. The first RE game I ever played was RE5, which I loved. When I tried to go back and play RE4 I found it a lot more stiff and unwieldy than RE5 so I never finished it. I dunno, I just don't get all the love for it.

How far did you get?

Manu

I think I got past the part where you control Ashley and then Leon finally meets up with her, which I think is in the castle? I don't think I left the castle though.

That's probably halfway through.

Yeah, I'd say if it didn't grab you by that point then you're not gonna like the rest either.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's probably halfway through.

Yeah, I'd say if it didn't grab you by that point then you're not gonna like the rest either.

That's sort of what I figured. I watched my friend play the second half of the game and it does seem fun but overall not the kind of thing I want to spend my time on.

Manu

I swear, if RE3 was revealed today, this is how the thread would go:

"lol @that enemy design"
"it's literally a tall ugly guy on a trenchcoat. what happened?"
"he has a rocket launcher for an arm? lol FUCK YOU CAPCOM"
"remember when we fought zombies in Resident Evil?"

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can someone tell me how far I am in Code Veronica? I just got into Alexei's / her brothers rooms. Got the silver key and then the plate. Now I'm back in the room with the security box (after moving the crates on the other side of the door). Got the lockpick too.

Manu

Can someone tell me how far I am in Code Veronica? I just got into Alexei's / her brothers rooms. Got the silver key and then the plate. Now I'm back in the room with the security box (after moving the crates on the other side of the door). Got the lockpick too.

25-30% in

Lucid07

Decided to Re-upload the photos for everyone so here's the op, sadly the banners didn't work.

Welcome to the NeoGAF RESIDENT EVIL Community Thread. This thread will eventually be moved to the Community Forum.

As with the FINAL FANTASY Community Thread, this thread will serve as a place to discuss the Resident Evil (Biohazard) series. Good discussions to be had in here include:

• Tank Controls - Yay or Nay?
  • Traditional vs. New Style Resident Evil
  • Best and Worst games in the series
  • Whatever happened to Sherry/Barry/Rebecca/etc.

As for actual rules, I'll just reuse Kagari's from the FF thread:

• No dirty, obnoxious fanart.
  • Please don't insult other members for any reason. Let's all have fun here.
  • No linking to scans or any other content that doesn't belong here. You should know this already.
  • This isn't really a thread for news, so please keep that in their respective topics.
  • To be helpful in discussion, please list the RE game you're talking about in bold at the start of your post.

And now, a very quick run down of the main games in the series:

egnqdYW.png

cUjGZtE.png

Resident Evil (1996/2002) - PlayStation, PlayStation Network, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Sega Saturn, Microsoft Windows
Taking place in 1998, S.T.A.R.S Alpha Team's Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine are on a mission to rescue the Bravo Team and are trapped within a zombie-infested mansion that holds a very dark secret.

YftHf8z.png

Resident Evil 2 (1998) - PlayStation, PlayStation Network, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube, Dreamcast, Microsoft Windows
On September 29, 1998, two months after the Spencer Estate incident, Claire Redfield (Chris Redfield's sister) and Leon Kennedy (a rookie cop) enter and subsequently try to escape the vastly infected Raccoon City and the clutches of William Birkin and his horrendous transformation.

DIvrDvw.png

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) - PlayStation, PlayStation Network, Nintendo GameCube, Dreamcast, Microsoft Windows
Taking place simultaneously with Resident Evil 2, Jill Valentine, tries to escape Raccoon City and is chased by Nemesis in the process.

zFv16Wl.png

Resident Evil CODE: Veronica (2000) - PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Nintendo GameCube, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows
On December 27, 1998, three months after Resident Evil 2, Claire Redfield continues searching for her brother, only to end up captured and sent to Rockfort Island. Claire encounters Steve Burnside and together they try to escape the accursed island, only to discover the secrets of the Ashford family. Chris Redfield later learns of his sister's capture and goes to rescue her, but his old captain, Albert Wesker, awaits.

xveXWg4.png

Resident Evil Zero (2002) - Nintendo GameCube, Wii
A prequel to Resident Evil starring Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen. The game begins a day before the Spencer Estate incident (Resident Evil) where Rebecca stumbles upon a convict named Billy Coen and together they try to escape the the Arklay Mansion from James Marcus' sinister "leech" plan.

cQO2cFA.png

Resident Evil 4 (2004) - PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Nintendo GameCube, Wii, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, Zeebo, iPhone, iPad
Taking place in 2004 in Southern Europe, Leon Kennedy ventures to the Las Plagas-infected village to search and rescue Ashley Graham, the American President's daughter. During this mission, he discovers the evil plan of the Los Illuminados cult and encounters Ada Wong again.

nSghWKx.png

Resident Evil 5 (2009) - PlayStation 3, PlayStation Network, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows
Chris Redfield and Sheva Alomar venture to a remote village in Africa called Kijuju and discover that the villagers are infected with an advanced strain of the Las Plagas (Resident Evil 4). They also find out that Albert Wesker, Chris Redfield's long time rival, is working with Excella Gionne, the head of Tricell Africa, to develop the Uroborus virus.

D3Ycwl6.png

Resident Evil: Revelations (2012) - Nintendo 3DS
Set in 2005, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine venture to a luxury cruise ship and discover that the ship has experienced a viral outbreak. An organization called Veltro is responsible for the incident and apparently has the capability of infecting much of the world if their demands aren't met.

TyXSIe6.jpg

Thanks to:

- ULTROS! for the descriptions and images, and for the idea for the thread
- Yama for the banner
- Kagari for providing a template for this thread and for moving it to the Community Forum in due time

I'll add Res 6 in later on and maybe change the timeline more.

Szadek

I'm done with Dead Space,which means REmake is next on my list.
Not the new Pc verions,though, I have the Gamecuve version.
RE2 comes after that,I have the PSN version.

strafer

Maybe.From what I gathered the series went into compeltly the wrong direction,for me anyway.
I already DS3 and 2 is very cheap,so maybe I do it.

Dead Space 2, while having some action sequences is still a horror game, and a scary so.

You should at least play Dead Space 2 if you liked 1.

I am one of those who really enjoyed Dead Space 3.

But you should buy Dead Space 2 and perhaps borrow Dead Space 3 from a friend if possible?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/03/resid...-interview-what-is-it-that-fans-want-5047169/

Interesting interview that is mainly about Revelations 2 but also touches upon the struggle of the modern RE series and how it is being pulled in two different directions and also trying to modernize. Also GAF shoutout!

So whether you play as Claire and Moria, or whether you’re playing as Barry and Natalia, you’re going to be able to… it’s going to be a focus on this resource management and that kind of thing. But there are people that love the action of Resident Evil… go on NeoGAF and there are GIFs of people going, ‘OMG, Jake is doing a body slam, this is nuts!’ So, we’re like: ‘If you like this we’ll make it a separate thing’.

GC: I can’t believe there are Jake fans, least of all on NeoGAF.

Random question:
Currently playing RE2 again and I can't remember what carries over to the B campaign. Should I be leaving herbs and ammo for Leon? I forget how it works.

Edit: never mind I figured it out.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Code Veronica update. Just got control of Claire in Chris's campaign. How much longer do I have to go?

Top Bottom