• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Of course he hasn't played the final game, no one has, because the game isn't finished. No one has been talking about the final game dude, we've been talking about the gameplay video they showed off and we're wondering what it holds in store for the final release of the game, if they will be re-rendered out or if many will end up staying their upscaled version which are currently present in the builds they're showing off videos of.

Haha, I like this reaction. It's appropriate for those types of comments that refuse to acknowledge evidence toward a game's detriment despite considerable evidence, coupled with the 'if you haven't played the final game, you can't possibly criticize it' flavored comment.

DedValve

Banned
Non-purists, or just people that want to play a great game that doesn't control funky as fudge? I fall in the latter, honestly haha.

Its not funky at all and very easy to maneuver once you get your bearing. Modern control scheme is terrible as you'll constantly run into things the moment the camera angle changes.

Something tells me the new control scheme will not work well with RE 1. The game was intended to be played with the original control scheme. But I just can't wait for this game to come out again. I beat this game like 100 times on GC back in early 2000s. Cant wait to beat it again for 101th time.....in 1080p. Definitely gonna try to get the platinum trophy here. Just curious you guys think this game will run ok at 60fps? i wonder what a 60fps port of this game will feel like.

Vidpixel

Its not funky at all and very easy to maneuver once you get your bearing. Modern control scheme is terrible as you'll constantly run into things the moment the camera angle changes.

Same thing.

Tank controls feel great to me, I don't understand how people struggle with them.

They just take time getting used to and simply don't feel natural to me at all for whatever reason. I'm not sure how well the new controls will work given the fact that the game was designed a specific way years ago with the old control scheme in mind, but I'm just glad there's at least the option to change them if we desire.

KyleCross

They better fucking have kept the Control Type C. That is the only control scheme in which I have not hated tank controls. The act of having the forward movement mapped to a button with the analog stick just to determine the angle you move is sex. I only ever played it for 10 minutes but it was glorious to the point I think I'm going to try to hunt down the Gamecube ports of 2 and 3 for when I first play these games cause I hear they contain them as well, with only 0 lacking the Type C movement.

Does CVX HD have the Type C, or is that only the Gamecube release?

If ultimately REmaster doesn't have the Type C movement anymore then it's either going to be modern and deal with the shittyness of it, or D-pad (I can't handle traditional tank controls with the analog stick, only the D-pad).

Of course he hasn't played the final game, no one has, because the game isn't finished. No one has been talking about the final game dude, we've been talking about the gameplay video they showed off and we're wondering what it holds in store for the final release of the game, if they will be re-rendered out or if many will end up staying their upscaled version which are currently present in the builds they're showing off videos of.

In the few gameplay videos released there are more than just a handful of backgrounds that look high res though.

Holy god those new controls look atrocious. Watching the videos, while im impressed by the graphics, the janky character movements and twitch-play takes me right out of it lol.

Those are totally optional controls.... right?

Semajer

Well, that double settles it: PC version is the way to go. If Capcom is determined that door animations aren't skippable, I'll just mod them out.

Do you think you'll be able to mod them to be like RE:DS and the Sourcenext versions of RE2 and RE3 where the door animation starts to play, but you skip them with a single button press?

Do you think you'll be able to mod them to be like RE:DS and the Sourcenext versions of RE2 and RE3 where the door animation starts to play, but you skip them with a single button press?
Every single RE game so far that has been released on Steam are moddable.

televator

Default better be set to 4:3 + tank controls. It's only right. :p

I'd say I wanna get all the trophies for this game but that zombie
suicide bomber
is gonna make things difficult. That shit was a pain all those years ago.

Sectus

I don't think this video has been posted yet. It explains a lot of the techniques they're using to update the backgrounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WNTRDNEg6I

I think that would be possible.

I can see multiple ways this mod might potentially work:
- Edit door animation files and make the animation duration instant.
- Skip animation via memory editing (there has to be values controlling how far the door animation is along, or maybe a simple value defining whether or not a door animation is running).

If the latter is doable, then it would be easy to make a trainer which ties that behaviour to a button, so it's up to the user when a door animation should be skipped.

Mr_Zombie

I don't think this video has been posted yet. It explains a lot of the techniques they're using to update the backgrounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WNTRDNEg6I

So in short it seems that:
- all static backgrounds (and static elements in the animated backgrounds) were taken from the original files and then enhanced (resized, applied filters etc.) to look high-res;
- animated elements (grass, plants affected by the wind, moths etc.) are now fully polygonal (hence the difference in plants in the scene with Forest's body)
- most of the lighting effects are rendered in-real time or the effects overlays are done completely from scratch.

I hope that now people will shut up with accusations that Capcom is cheapening out on this game.

Semajer

I think that would be possible.

I can see multiple ways this mod might potentially work:
- Edit door animation files and make the animation duration instant.
- Skip animation via memory editing (there has to be values controlling how far the door animation is along, or maybe a simple value defining whether or not a door animation is running).

If the latter is doable, then it would be easy to make a trainer which ties that behaviour to a button, so it's up to the user when a door animation should be skipped.

Hopefully it will be possible to have it set to a button. Would it be possible to mod the game to allow the quick reload from post-RE4 games? Where you can reload while aiming without having to empty the clip. I haven't seen it mentioned as included by default. If the door skip and quick reload can be included in this game it will pretty much fix all of my complaints with the original.

Mr_Zombie

If anything it was dwindling sales which 'ruined' the series I'm afraid.

If anything, Capcom releasing three major RE games exclusively on GameCube was what "ruined" the series ;) Notice that NGC RE4 sales weren't that much higher than REmake or RE0 sales. Only after the game was released on PS2 the sales increased noticeably*

*although one could say that announcing PS2 version even before the "exclusive" GC game was out affected the sales;

Mengetsu

They really did a good job on this remaster... They didn't cheap it out like some people thought.
Yup. I knew they would do a good job because it's a legacy title. People are burned still about how they treated most games in situations like these. This is how I wished RE 4 got treated instead they ported the PS2 version and enhanced it to be widescreen and such.

My friend was saddened by this announcement calling it a waist of a remake because he played it not to long ago finally and said it wasn't all that great and he loves the series. I feel like some games like this and back in the Dreamcast era if you didn't play it then you can't appreciate how good this game is today. From the camera angles to the sound design in this game it's Resident Evil in a nutshell and im glad I get one more chance to enjoy it and hopefully bring new fans in.

Sectus

I blame platform exclusivity. If REmake had been on the PS2 this series would still be good.

I think there are many factors as to why Capcom changed the series to be more action oriented. Making games exclusive to Gamecube was a bad idea, but sales of classic RE games were going down since RE2 anyway. I think other factors include RE4 getting insanely positive review scores, and industry in general learning more towards action.

Hopefully it will be possible to have it set to a button. Would it be possible to mod the game to allow the quick reload from post-RE4 games? Where you can reload while aiming without having to empty the clip. I haven't seen it mentioned as included by default. If the door skip and quick reload can be included in this game it will pretty much fix all of my complaints with the original.

I think that'd be possible, but hard it would be to implement depends on how the reloading works code-wise. It's possible the game doesn't check how much ammo is currently in the gun, so you'd have to correct the amount of ammo it removes from the inventory when reloading. And you'd need a way to freely trigger the reloading.

Sectus

They can't get rid of the door animations.

I don't know if you mean "can't" as in it's not technically possible, or "can't" as in they shouldn't remove them.

Door animations are definitely not technically required. RE0 proves room loading is far faster than door animations (character swapping takes less than 2 seconds, while door animations are around 7 seconds).

Liamario

Banned
I'm just not feeling this. 30fps, poor aspect ratio solution. I expect this problem is directly connected to the budget being allocated to the project.
It's a shame Capcom are so disrespectful of their IPs.

Daffy Duck

I don't know if you mean "can't" as in it's not technically possible, or "can't" as in they shouldn't remove them.

Door animations are definitely not technically required. RE0 proves room loading is far faster than door animations (character swapping takes less than 2 seconds, while door animations are around 7 seconds).

Can't as in they shouldn't, yes they should be skip able but I still want them in, wouldn't seem right without them.

Santar

They have to leave the door animations in, there is a instance where the game plays with the fact that those animations are there and something unexpected happens. That wouldn't work if they cut the animations off.
What they could do is make the regular door animations skipable.

They have to leave the door animations in, there is a instance where the game plays with the fact that those animations are there and something unexpected happens. That wouldn't work if they cut the animations off.
What they could do is make the regular door animations skipable.

I remember this happening in RE2, but not remake. Could you spoiler text which moment you're talking about? The animations really should have just been skippable like in Deadly Silence.

GenericUser

I remember this happening in RE2, but not remake. Could you spoiler text which moment you're talking about? The animations really should have just been skippable like in Deadly Silence.

If you open the main door of the mansion, the animation plays and dogs rush in
But thats like the only occasion in the whole game. You could skip them in RE1 in the PC, hell you could even skip them in port of the original game on the ds.

Door animations are nice and all that, but I feel that the game would flow much nicer if they would at least give us the option to skip them. Especially if you are targeting multiple playthroughs, door animations just suck.

Top Bottom