• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

If you open the main door of the mansion, the animation plays and dogs rush in
But thats like the only occasion in the whole game. You could skip them in RE1 in the PC, hell you could even skip them in port of the original game on the ds.

Door animations are nice and all that, but I feel that the game would flow much nicer if they would at least give us the option to skip them. Especially if you are targeting multiple playthroughs, door animations just suck.

It actually plays a completely different third person animation in that instance.
And yeah, it would be much nicer when I'm doing speedruns to be able to skip the loading animations.

Neff

If anything, Capcom releasing three major RE games exclusively on GameCube was what "ruined" the series ;) Notice that NGC RE4 sales weren't that much higher than REmake or RE0 sales. Only after the game was released on PS2 the sales increased noticeably*

*although one could say that announcing PS2 version even before the "exclusive" GC game was out affected the sales;

But if we're making the distinction between old and new RE, new RE being the catalyst for re-igniting big sales, it's clear that old RE was losing its appeal. RECVX, the last 'classic' RE on Playstation, only just managed to scrape 1.4m on PS2 compared to the original release's 1.1m on Dreamcast.

I don't think there's as much in the 'wrong format' argument as some think. Simply releasing a game on a huge install base doesn't guarantee success either.

Santar

I remember this happening in RE2, but not remake. Could you spoiler text which moment you're talking about? The animations really should have just been skippable like in Deadly Silence.

It's been so long since I've played trough the remake that unfortunately I can't remember the specifics, maybe it had something to do with the crimson heads? There's a possibility I'm just confusing it with re 2 I'll admit.

Xpliskin

Iirc for the door-scares:

There's only one instance of it in the entire series. In RE2 in the generator room where you get the valve

Mr_Zombie

Yup. I knew they would do a good job because it's a legacy title. People are burned still about how they treated most games in situations like these. This is how I wished RE 4 got treated instead they ported the PS2 version and enhanced it to be widescreen and such.

NGC version. You really wouldn't want to see PS2 version in high-res (those low-res prerendered FMV's).

Mengetsu

NGC version. You really wouldn't want to see PS2 version in high-res (those low-res prerendered FMV's).
Was it really? I remember the "Loading..." in the bottom corner on the PS2 version and on the HD version but not the Gamecube version when I played it. I would think the PS2 is the one they used because of that and the extra costumes and Ada mission. I would assume it would be more work to port the GameCube game and then rip assets from the PS2 one just for the extra content. Either way I feel it was a bad port.

Also door animations stay! Gives it more suspense!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Based on that Capcom video, it sounds like if they don't have the original scenes set up to be able to re-render, they at least have the original models.

Also, lol at them saying "We completely redid the candles" as if it's some crazy thing. It's an 18 frame GIF.

I'm just not feeling this. 30fps, poor aspect ratio solution. I expect this problem is directly connected to the budget being allocated to the project.
It's a shame Capcom are so disrespectful of their IPs.

What about the 30fps or aspect ratio makes you think it's because they're being disrespectful to the IP..?

The cost of actual rerendered 16:9 implementation vs panning in time spent is monumentally different, and the benefit the difference would make is miniscually small. That's a crazy thing to expect, incredibly unreasonable, and they're even offering a great alternative method for playing fullscreen.

As for 30fps, I wish there was an option to play it at 60 with the animated backgrounds updating at 30, but I get why they aren't. If your response to that is "then they should have remade all the animated backgrounds" then I would just say you don't understand the cost of something like that.

There need to be reasonable expectations for stuff like this, and saying that Capcom is disrespecting their IP's with this port sounds ridiculous. If it's not a good value to you don't buy it, but that doesn't make it some spit in the face of RE fans.

Was it really? I remember the "Loading..." in the bottom corner on the PS2 version and on the HD version but not the Gamecube version when I played it. I would think the PS2 is the one they used because of that and the extra costumes and Ada mission. I would assume it would be more work to port the GameCube game and then rip assets from the PS2 one just for the extra content. Either way I feel it was a bad port.

Also door animations stay! Gives it more suspense!

On the topic of ports... What makes you feel the RE4 Ultimate HD edition is a bad port? It's absolutely the best version of the game available. Render at any resolution, 60fps support, has the GCN effects that were missing from all other versions, and has all the other benefits you could expect from the PC platform. It's a great version of the game, and the best version of the game.

Mengetsu

On the topic of ports... What makes you feel the RE4 Ultimate HD edition is a bad port? It's absolutely the best version of the game available. Render at any resolution, 60fps support, has the GCN effects that were missing from all other versions, and has all the other benefits you could expect from the PC platform. It's a great version of the game, and the best version of the game.

Let me reiterate what I mean. I don't like the port personally for my own reasoning. For what they did as what you stated above you are right it's great and is the best version of the game hands down. When I hear a remastering of a game or "HD" I just expect more pending on the title in terms of a graphical upgrade if the game can stand for it. The two guys who are re doing the HD textures that I have been following is an example. Now I'm not saying for Capcom to do what those two guys are doing because that's a feet on it's own but I felt like aesthetic wise they did a poor job. For a port to bring over it was good for everyone just not for me personally.

Bergerac

There are actually a few door scares.

The first door scare in Remake happens in the hallway where you meet the very first zombie. If you enter that hallway from the Dining Room and turn right (and turn to where that first zombie will be standing later) the first door on the left (when the angle changes) links to the 'Window corridor' that leads to the Itchy Tasty/zombie in wardrobe room, the Tiger statue room and the Plant room. A zombie, if you've left any in that 'Window Corridor' alive, will burst through that door and attack if you walk past that door on the left in the first zombie hallway.

Also later that same door is removed completely and if you walk past it again a Hunter comes flying out.

There's also the door on the upper floor of that same West Wing of the mansion section, that leads to the Dog Whistle balcony. It's a more scripted sequence but a zombie comes through that door.

Then there's the upper floor of the East Wing, the door that connects to the corner hallway where you find Rebecca and Richard (leading to the Yawn room). Later on a zombie will come through that door and into the main 'reverse C' corridor on that upper floor if you've left one in that area where you find Rebecca and Richard.

I'm sure there are more, and that's just Remake. I think there's even one in the last hallway that leads out back to the Courtyard, with the broken door handle that gets fixed later, Spencer Key door and the door leading to the Crow Painting room. Could be remembering wrong though but I'm sure one of the zombies that bursts through the windows in the Jill Sandwich/Zombie in bathtub hallway comes through the double doors leading to the former Crow Painting hallway. Edit: I think this is actually a Crimson Head incidence.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
There are actually a few door scares.

The first door scare in Remake happens in the hallway where you meet the very first zombie. If you enter that hallway from the Dining Room and turn right (and turn to where that first zombie will be standing later) the first door on the left (when the angle changes) links to the 'Window corridor' that leads to the Itchy Tasty/zombie in wardrobe room, the Tiger statue room and the Plant room. A zombie, if you've left any in that 'Window Corridor' alive, will burst through that door and attack if you walk past that door on the left in the first zombie hallway.

Also later that same door is removed completely and if you walk past it again a Hunter comes flying out.

There's also the door on the upper floor of that same West Wing of the mansion section, that leads to the Dog Whistle balcony. It's a more scripted sequence but a zombie comes through that door.

Then there's the upper floor of the East Wing, the door that connects to the corner hallway where you find Rebecca and Richard (leading to the Yawn room). Later on a zombie will come through that door and into the main 'reverse C' corridor on that upper floor if you've left one in that area where you find Rebecca and Richard.

I'm sure there are more, and that's just Remake. I think there's even one in the last hallway that leads out back to the Courtyard, with the broken door handle that gets fixed later, Spencer Key door and the door leading to the Crow Painting room. Could be remembering wrong though but I'm sure one of the zombies that bursts through the windows in the Jill Sandwich/Zombie in bathtub hallway comes through the double doors leading to the former Crow Painting hallway. Edit: I think this is actually a Crimson Head incidence.

Having recently played the game you're correct about all of those door scares, and there's another one I remember.

When visiting the kitchen, while leaving through the stairway door for the first time, you'll see a cutscene of a zombie walking down the stairs, and suddenly the game will reappear with you in the room and now there's a zombie coming after you.

But as for door scares where the literal door animation is important to it, I don't think there are any that transition from door animation to integrated zombie scare.

Bergerac

Ah yeah forgot that one. I'm sure there's one
in the Courtyard Residence as well. Doesn't one of the bathroom doors open and a zombie come out?
Recall any more?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ah yeah forgot that one. I'm sure there's one
in the Courtyard Residence as well. Doesn't one of the bathroom doors open and a zombie come out?
Recall any more?

I think the
bathroom thing you may be thinking of is when you're in the room with the hanging zombie, enter the bathroom, and hear the hanging zombie
fall.

ArjanN

I think the
bathroom thing you may be thinking of is when you're in the room with the hanging zombie, enter the bathroom, and hear the hanging zombie
fall.

From what I (vaguely) remember of the original RE1 isn't there also a door scare
if you try to leave the mansion right at the start
?

Bergerac

I think the
fall.

Nah not that part.
I'm sure one comes out of one the bathrooms too.
But maybe not.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Heartbeat intensifies.

GeaKPiS.gif

Was this posted yet: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/13/enhancing-resident-evil

Goes into detail on their upscaling process.

He confirms that they are upscaling the original backgrounds, but they take it on a room for room and camera angle basis.

Like TheVampire illustrates with his screens I've quoted here, they decided not to use the original movie clip that ran in a loop and remade everything that moved in polygons:

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Like TheVampire illustrates with his screens I've quoted here, they decided not to use the original movie clip that ran in a loop and remade everything that moved in polygons:

I don't think that's the case. They didn't say they remade everything that moves in polygons. They said they replaced the foreground objects with polygons.

The more I see of this game, the less dissatisfied I am with it. What we have seen recently seems to look better than the original screens from August. I just want to play this, now. :)

RedSwirl

I'm glad the door animations are staying.

Honestly, I like them.

A while ago I went back to my Gamecube copy and noticed they add tension to the game, or at least anticipation for what might be in the next room.

They also illustrate to the player the hard technical boundaries that exists between rooms -- making it easier to understand why enemies can't use doors and you can.

Yeah, the camera switching is really the downfall of the modern controls. Tank controls for life yo.

I think those fixed camera angles are part of the reason FOR the tank controls. The reason the directional control is in relation to the character's orientation instead of in relation to the camera is so you keep moving in the same direction when the camera shifts. The character's orientation is the only constant in this situation. I figured that out when I tried Silent Hill 2's non-tank controls.

He confirms that they are upscaling the original backgrounds, but they take it on a room for room and camera angle basis.

It's not really clear. He says they took the original backgrounds and "adjusted" the resolution, which could also mean they rerendered them at higher resolution. Surely, he seems to imply that they did not lose the original data.

Mr_Zombie

I don't think that's the case. They didn't say they remade everything that moves in polygons. They said they replaced the foreground objects with polygons.

Not really. He said that at first they tried to simply up-res the movie files (blow up the resolution, probably apply some filters) and when that didn't look good (the moving objects stood out too much) they decided to turn that into polygons. So again, it's a scene-by-scene process. Also, if I remember correctly, the grass, trees and fog in the cemetery scene were also turned completely remade, with fog turned into a real-time effect instead of part of a movie file.

Yup,
I'm sure that zombie dogs try to get in if you use the manison doors.

In the original RE it was just a dog trying to get in and then you slam the door on it's face, in REmake a dog actually comes into the hallway.
Scared the shit out of me as it was like the 1st thing I did.

Manu

I think the thread title should drop the quotes and the "(cough)", they're doing a good job with the remaster, all things considered.

Mr_Zombie

In the original RE it was just a dog trying to get in and then you slam the door on it's face, in REmake a dog actually comes into the hallway.
Scared the shit out of me as it was like the 1st thing I did.

That's the reason REmake is so great. It manages to be scary for both new players and old ones by playing with their memories (
Cerberus jumping through the opened door in main hall; dogs not jumping through the window when you pass through that infamous corridor for the first time; mansion layout is completely changed; wind, moon, sun and star crests are now used for something completely different etc.
)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Nice added detail, but is it me or does the new screen look a bit "washed out"? Something to do with the brightness/contrast maybe...

Most examples are being taken from videos, which most sites upload in the limited color space. That explains the washed out look to the colors.

News Bot

Banned
Nice added detail, but is it me or does the new screen look a bit "washed out"? Something to do with the brightness/contrast maybe...

Isn't the second shot from a YouTube video? That's why.

He says they took the original backgrounds and "adjusted" the resolution, which could also mean they rerendered them at higher resolution. Surely, he seems to imply that they did not lose the original data.

It's pretty clear, he's just not going to outright say it. There's no re-rendering going on, only redrawing and implementing 3D. "Adjusting the resolution" is just upscaling.

Most examples are being taken from videos, which most sites upload in the limited color space. That explains the washed out look to the colors.

Isn't the second shot from a YouTube video? That's why.

Cool. I just hope they don't lose any of the atmosphere. I remember one of the first comparison shots were of the kitchen scene, and they had removed the green smoke effect... this might have already been (or will be) fixed though.

Top Bottom