• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster - JPN version impressions (language options confirmed)

News Bot

Banned
I think it's accepted that UC/DC are still both only partly canon, in that, where they contradict the main games (not including RE1, RE1:DC of course, as REmake is clearly the current canon take on that story) they aren't canon, but where they fill in blanks, they are.

BIO1 has no actual canon in any version and is almost entirely open to interpretation, rather than "what you see is what you get." Except for what's stipulated in later material. Arguably neither does BIO2, as all four scenarios are canon in that game and the actual order is outlined in later material. BIO3 is the same to a lesser extent, only the ending has been stipulated but all of the multiple choice elements are untouched and open to interpretation.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
cause i didnt know the japanese version would play it in english

But if you ordered the Asian version, why double up and add on the Japanese? Or did you order the Japanese first? And if so, why not cancel the order for the Japanese release? Was there something about that release you didn't get in the Asian?

I ordered the Asian CE, but at first I thought there was only a Japanese CE since the promo email I got only showed that and an Asian regular edition. I had to run a separate search on Play-Asia to find the Asian CE.

EDIT: If both releases have all the same languages then are they all the same release?

But if you ordered the Asian version, why double up and add on the Japanese? Or did you order the Japanese first? And if so, why not cancel the order for the Japanese release? Was there something about that release you didn't get in the Asian?

I ordered the Asian CE, but at first I thought there was only a Japanese CE since the promo email I got only showed that and an Asian regular edition. I had to run a separate search on Play-Asia to find the Asian CE.

EDIT: If both releases have all the same languages then are they all the same release?

i ordered the japanese first and they said once you ordered it. it can not be canceled. i ordered the e-capcom edition thats why

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
i ordered the japanese first and they said once you ordered it. it can not be canceled. i ordered the e-capcom edition thats why

Oh wow man looks awesome, enjoy.

My duckets are insufficient for that edition. ;)

Carnby

I did the same exact thing. Except I only ordered the Japanese special edition, to keep sealed, and the Asian regular edition to play.

Is this still coming out in the states in early 2015 or is it hitting early? PS4 is what I am looking for.

Also.. I wonder if there will be a collectors edition/

randomwab

Just to let 360 people know, I just downloaded it using a Japanese Live account on my UK 360 and it's working fine. Switched back over to my normal account and it's even showing as Resident Evil on the box art.

Saw some of the footage streaming.... what the hell is taking capcom this long to announce the PS4 version release date :\

I mean, are they kidding me? no release date yet?

Murkrow

Banned
Wait so it's out now in Japan PSN?

I don't know, but he plays the HD version on PS3.

And there are issues with the controls.

When you use your "examine" button, like it is circle, and you pick it up. Go to the menu and use the herb, you have to press "X" instead of circle.

Soodanim

WARNING
Just tuned into Carcinogen's Twitch and he's discovered that in menus the game uses the OS controls. So because of his Japanese game on an American PS3:

Press O to pick up an item
Press O to...cancel and leave the item

So he has to press O to pick it up then remind his brain to switch to switch to X.

He's talking about dropping the PS3 version and going to the 360 version until it's fixed.

Side note: X to run? Fuck that noise, I want square to be the run button like classic RE should have.

Wait so it's out now in Japan PSN?

I'm constantly checking out the jp store (web browser version on my PC.), I even try searching for either biohazard or バイオハザード from time to time in case you can find it sooner than it does appear in the recent updates list, but so far nothing.

It unlocked a couple of hours ago, still seems to be missing from the store to buy though if you hadn't pre-ordered.

Ooooh. Should've done that. D=

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can you skip the door loading animations?

No, according to CVXFreak.

Have we had any indication how much this will be? I assumed it was going to be budget price but just saw that it had a platinum trophy, which RE4 and CVX did not have. Leads me to believe it may be more expensive

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I do not remember the Crypt, was this only in the HD remake? Certainly don't remember it in the original and Directors Cut.

andshrew

WARNING
Just tuned into Carcinogen's Twitch and he's discovered that in menus the game uses the OS controls. So because of his Japanese game on an American PS3:

Press O to pick up an item
Press O to...cancel and leave the item

So he has to press O to pick it up then remind his brain to switch to switch to X.

He's talking about dropping the PS3 version and going to the 360 version until it's fixed.

Side note: X to run? Fuck that noise, I want square to be the run button like classic RE should have.

I don't think it's region related it's simply the game isn't applying the in-game control scheme to the menus. ie. I can set examine/pick up to square but it's still X and circle in the inventory to accept/cancel. It's incredibly jarring... But I seem to remember other resident evils being like this too?

I don't think it's region related it's simply the game isn't applying the in-game control scheme to the menus. ie. I can set examine/pick up to square but it's still X and circle in the inventory to accept/cancel. It's incredibly jarring... But I seem to remember other resident evils being like this too?

Kinda, RE4 on PS3 used the japanese ingame controls where square is the action button and X is run but in menues both square and X where used to confirm while O was cancel. (The O button wasn't used at all otherwise except in the japanese release where you could use it as an alternative to square.)

Soodanim

It's definitely region (well, shitty coding) related. Gameplay uses the presets, all of which use O as examine (except one which has square as examine and O as walk/run). It's when you get to the menu that the game is told to ignore that and use the OS controls, which in the west are always X to confirm and circle to cancel.

He tried changing his PS3 language to Japanese, but it doesn't change the controls.

It wouldn't be a problem if Capcom allowed button mapping, which is why I'm glad I'm waiting for the PC version.

I do not remember the Crypt, was this only in the HD remake? Certainly don't remember it in the original and Directors Cut.

REmake has a lot of new or redesigned areas, if you have not played it you should, really nice to play resi 1 again with stuff you need to learn for the first time, again.

yes, CVX HD & RE4 HD

From the other REmaster related thread.

Aaaaand it's up on PSN, you do have to search for biohazard, it doesn't appear in the recent titles list yet.

(And I haven't tried in in the actual PS3 store, only the web browser version.)

Edit: You can find it using the PS3's store as well, though I had to search for the title in kana, biohazard didn't work.

Downloading now.=D

Edit: BiohazardX95, it was kind of the other way around though, RE4 and CVX HD's western versions kept the japanese in-game controls while applying western menu controls, but if you bought the japanese release you had japanese controls for both in-game and menu sections. So it was all game related and not dependend on your consoles region.

Nemesis_

Really? I thought she looked even less like Julia Voth now that Capcom can't use her likeness anymore.

If you use BSAA Jill I'm fairly certain it's a straight model rip from RE5 so she looks different. Standard Jill seems to be the same, the new lighting system just makes her look different

Audette

Just got my copy today!!

I thought it was nice that the Asian version has a double sided sleeve. It actually came with resident evil on the outside cover so I didn't even need to change it. Now it fits in with all my other resident evil games just fine. The team that made this did a fantastic job bringing it to PS3. Thank you for bringing this out again Capcom. I'll never be able to go back to the old copies ...I just really wish ps4 was getting a physical release too, I would not resist double dipping hahaha.. sigh....

Anyways, Just finished the mask hunt and so far the game has held up soooooo well, you can tell a lots of little things got TLC.

Playing as original Jill on normal difficulty, with the original controls style, and yeah menu controls are flipped. I'm not using the widescreen mode. While its a nice effort, it's a little less sharp looking and the scrolling effect bothers me a bit. I know some people don't wanna loose the details but there are some details I feel it really doesn't need to show, panning a bit too often on rooms that don't really need it. Maybe this will work better with ps4 as by default many things will be sharper in 1080p but it will still scroll just as often.

I did notice a brief stutter in fps during cutscene camera angle transition, otherwise it's perfectly smooth. Despite being in 720p on PS3, it looks really good, with a nice sort of filtered look that makes it hard to notice any jagged pixels.

Great port so far. Get hyped, it's a wonderful time to play this game again!

benzy

Really? I thought she looked even less like Julia Voth now that Capcom can't use her likeness anymore.

I wonder what the legal issues are in retaining Julia's look from game to game (not referring to the Remake hd port btw). I don't think Julia would mind and she seems to be a fan of the character.

Top Bottom