• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter | OT | Complete Global Success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Hm, I can't remember if I've seen Afterlife - is that the one where they are on a ship on land and Chris is there?

I definitely haven't seen Retribution yet.

I really like the first RE - it could have actually made sense as a prequel to the video games. The rest of the movies I've seen are entertaining but pretty much off the deep end with the story.

cvxfreak

Saw the movie at the Japan premiere last month. I even got to see Milla Jovovich, Paul Anderson, their daughter, and a few other cast members.

It's a seriously dumb movie, and I LIKED Retribution because it felt quite game-like with bosses and different stages. They discarded virtually everything set up during Retribution in exactly two lines, and if they were so inclined, they can technically make more movies, too.

There were spoilers floating around a year ago -- none of them are 100% accurate.

Utterly terrible film all around.

T.O.P

Banned
Milla interview from Bloody Disgusting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcSUBqU8T9Y

Ali Larter and that one other hot guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaRqTdNGE6M

And a new rather weird poster

resident-evil-imax.jpg

Lagamorph

Weird that it isn't releasing in the UK until 3rd February. Sadly that's my first day on shift as well, so wont be able to see it until the 7th. Grrrr.

zeemumu

Yeah, looks like the rest go in order though

1 Resident Evil: Afterlife SGem $296.2 $60.1 20.3% $236.1 79.7% 2010

2 Resident Evil: Retribution SGem $240.2 $42.3 17.6% $197.8 82.4% 2012

3 Resident Evil: Extinction SGem $147.7 $50.6 34.3% $97.1 65.7% 2007

4 Resident Evil: Apocalypse SGem $129.4 $51.2 39.6% $78.2 60.4% 2004

5 Resident Evil SGem $102.4 $40.1 39.2% $62.3 60.8% 200

Just saw this. I don't even know what to think. I mean... I get that it's a Resident Evil movie but it still managed to disappoint me. Definitely more negative thoughts than positive. Probably my 2nd least favorite one, next to Afterlife.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Gonna see it this weekend. I'm so excited. I love these movies. They're so so dumb and a guilty pleasure.

Will copy paste my thoughts from the RE community thread.

Just saw the newest RE movie...

UGH

Like they were all bad but this is the worst. The camera work is a nightmare and the over attempts at jump scares is insane. Literally the entire first hour and 45 minutes is : silence.... bam loud zombie noise, FAST CAMERA CUT, REACTION SHOT, FAST CUT, ZOMBIE DEAD... silence.... BAM LOUD NOISE FAST CUT ZOMBIE POPOUT CAMERA CUT DEAD ZOMBIE FAST CUT -alice gets knocked out- 40 second FAST CUTS FLASHBACKS INSERT ONE LINERS FAST CUT! NONFOCUSED CAMERA ANGLE FAST CUT LOUD NOISE

Like come the -expletive- on. The other movies were awful but they were at least watchable. Every few seconds is silence, into a fast cut, into more fast cuts and barely seeing what the fast cut is supposed to make exciting.

-sigh- I went to see it just to do it since I saw the first one. I mean geeze even the CG wasn't that good.

ALSO: Wesker getting killed by a door cutting off his foot and bleeding out, LOL just offensive.

Like easily the worst movie I've seen in recent memory or ever. The rest were bad but this was just poorly made to boot.

Highly recommend just renting this one guys. Last movie / "why the heck not" thoughts aside, buy a dinner, some steam games, dlc for RE7, something other than paying for this movie.

norm9

Excited! Part 4 and 5 weren't great, but the 3d tech made it worthwhile. This being the closing chapter should have them trying some things. Plus, any Milla movie is entertaining.

The first movie is ok. I saw the 5th one on netflix and actually really enjoyed its slick silliness. Then I fell asleep twice trying to get through the awful second movie. Never saw 3 or 4. To those planning a marathon of these before number six, godspeed, good sirs, you are made of stronger stuff than I.

Jaraghan

Will copy paste my thoughts from the RE community thread.

Like easily the worst movie I've seen in recent memory or ever. The rest were bad but this was just poorly made to boot.

Highly recommend just renting this one guys. Last movie / "why the heck not" thoughts aside, buy a dinner, some steam games, dlc for RE7, something other than paying for this movie.
Thanks for this. I was on the fence for this, but now I'll just wait it out. Maybe when it hits Netflix or Hulu or whatever.

Dimefan3

Just came back from it. It was alright, really got tired of the movie overusing the jump scare technique, to the point where you could almost predict it. (Silence...5,4,3,2,1...BLAM) Didn't help that the cinema I watched it in had the sound up full blast. I like a bit of volume, but there's a limit.

I liked where they went with the story, but felt like it could have been planned a bit better, and left clues to the twist in this movie throughout the last five movies.

Hope they call this one it, and don't do a Friday The 13th, or if they do, go with a completely new character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I only watched the first and knew about the second and the mad max looking one, I didnt know there were fucking 5 of these (now 6), nor that they had put Ada Wong and RE5 version of Jill (complete with chest gem) in them, wow...

...kinda want to see all of them now lol

myco666

Sucks that this doesn't come out in theaters here where I live. Need to wait retail release/netflix. Really love these movies.

DJChuy

I was looking at the showtimes for this, and practically all of them are 3D showings. One of the theaters has only 3D showing. Ridiculous! The only standard ones in the other theater are at 11 in the morning and 10:30 at night. Guess I'll wait until it hits the budget theater.

Improvidence

Neo Member
im excite for this movie! Yeah the movies aren't that great but we've made it this far so why not see the franchise end. Though the series has plotholes galore but ehh, guilty pleasure, and matinee so i won't lose much ill be back tomorrow with my thoughts! :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stop trying to give Mila bewbz in the posters. She doesn't have them. She doesn't need them. We've all seen Fifth Element.

Grisby

And I'm going to see it tomorrow night. End of an era as I saw the first with my high school homies some years back in 2002.

Now some of my friends are dead or have moved on and it;s just me and one other dude seeing it Friday. Going to start RE7 after it when I get home too.

I think it's gonna be a good night. The films are mostly shit, but it's shit I can have on in the background of the house. It's time to GOGOvich.

I miss you movie Jill:
e4AQa.png

Ronin Ray

So for anyone that has seen it, what is the deal with Chris?

0 mention of him ADA and leon

It's better then 2 and 4 . I enjoyed what they did with the story even if there are huge plot holes. The big knock against it is all the cuts in the action scenes and strobing lights. Alice had great one liners and if you like RE movies it's ok.

So for anyone that has seen it, what is the deal with Chris?

I want answers. Where's Jill?!

Paul WS Anderson: Jill? Maybe I'll tell you, maybe I won't.

No idea. The last movie ended with them getting to Washington right (Pretty sure ive seen all of them in some capacity.) There is a weird time/event skip where they kinda one liner the plot.
Jill, Chris, and the other surviving characters... I fucking guess are dead but never really mentions that
had to look at the effing wiki to know that if that tells you how "full circle this plot is"

Basically this whole movie is them just reusing the "hey that was kinda cool" parts from the old movies and games as usual.
Remember the elevator full of people in RE5 and the lady getting killed by the elevator in the first movie, you bet your sweet ass we will combine those. ALSO CYBERNETICS CAUSE WHY NOT

Maybe the offensiveness of the movie was on purpose so everyone thinks RE7 is even better (its quite good)

Xevren

My favorite part of the movie was when it was over. I did not enjoy my time watching it. Hopefully some of you all that are hyped for it get some kind of enjoyment out of it...somewhere in there.

So, I really enjoyed that. My biggest problem was the haphazard editing. It almost ruined a bunch of great action sequences, but they were still mostly just fun enough to roll with. Plenty of fun though, and I was surprised that the story was pretty decent. Really liked the ending, most things that happened in the story and to the characters felt very fitting.

T.O.P

Banned
So, I really enjoyed that. My biggest problem was the haphazard editing. It almost ruined a bunch of great action sequences, but they were still mostly just fun enough to roll with. Plenty of fun though, and I was surprised that the story was pretty decent. Really liked the ending, most things that happened in the story and to the characters felt very fitting.

Watched the movie last night. 10/10, love these movies, great ending, want more.

This i like, can't wait :)

How's the soundtrack this time around? i don't really know the new composer honestly but it didn't sound as banging as for 4 and 5

Hell yes, LET'S GOGOVICH!

These movies are just so batshit crazy and fun to watch. I'm actually kinda bummed that this is the last one and doesn't include the entire cast from the previous movies. Would've been awesome if Chris, Jill and all the other characters returned for the final outing. Oh well, still can't wait!

I also thought this one had, while quite different contextually, some pretty cool nods to the games.

MASSIVE SPOILERS
James Marcus is in this during the prologue, and he's actually "Alice's" father. There's also a part where they're all running from Cerberus dogs that kinda felt reminiscent to the opening of the original game where Bravo team is chased into the mansion by the dogs. A similar but reverse shot of Claire waking up inside a cage reminded me of her waking up in the prison block in Code Veronica. One of the monsters in the trailer does indeed resemble a Regenerator from 4.

Other thoughts, again MASSIVE spoilers:
I'm actually happy that Alice didn't die. She had a fuckin shit life and I think she earned living. I was a bit against it coming out of the theater, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was right. Also yay Claire made it too. Also there's some fucked up death scenes in this movie, the turbine sequence and the dude that hangs from the closing shaft knowing that he's about to fall like hundreds of feet had me in cringe city

This and Extinction are my two favorites. I like Extinction above most of them because I found it to have better filmmaking; it has really good cinematography and is less of a culprit of shitty editing than the others. But Final Chapter feels the closest to that one tonally, and doesn't have anything as terrible, IMO, as the Wesker fight at the end of Afterlife. Again the big problem in this movie is the editing, at some points you're just like how in the hell did they think this was okay in the editing room?

SKINNER!

Banned
They still making these films?! I loved the first film to death. 2nd was garbage, 3rd was shockingly the same and I didn't bother with any of them after that.

Is RE 4 and 5 worth checking out if I didn't enjoy 2 and 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom