• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter | OT | Complete Global Success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
It's bad, but not that bad, with the exception of the
Bloodshot
scene which was terribly edited.

AND the first chase scene jesus

It's also a shame because there are some really amazing shots in this movie, they just o by so fuckin fast lol

Anyway, i kinda enjoyed it, it felt more like 1-3 than 4-5, i liked the grittier atmosphere but plot wise it was just a mess

Still confused, might go again for the original dub (i forgot how bad the italian dub is, christ) if i can find a show near me

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The movie must have the worst cutting in history. Wonder if they had a bet or so in the editing room as to who could to the fastest camera changes in a second...

At least get some slow mo in it if you're unable to shoot the movie properly. Watching the movie made me feel sick.

Vazduh

The movie must have the worst cutting in history. Wonder if they had a bet or so in the editing room as to who could to the fastest camera changes in a second...

At least get some slow mo in it if you're unable to shoot the movie properly. Watching the movie made me feel sick.

Usually I'd say it was strictly Doobie White's blame, since he's the editor (worked on Crank 2), but Anderson chose him, so... yeah.

The entire movie was sort of a reaction to the criticism of 4/5 with their overabundance of slo-mo, but boy, it was a bit much!

Plot-wise I actually enjoyed it for the most part since unlike the last two it actually had a lot of worthwhile stuff happening, but the worst thing about it is a shit-ton of retconning: from the origins of Red Queen, the T-Virus, then Red Queen saying she cannot harm the Umbrella employees while killing off everyone in the first movie, the reasoning behind the infection, Alice's origins which make no sense (wasn't she a double agent in the first movie - willing to sell company's secrets to Matt's sister? She did have a life, but it just wasn't dwelled upon since Anderson wanted for Alice to be a blank slate/an avatar for the audience who discovered things like she did after her amnesia) etc.

Basically, you have to be willing to overlook a lot of things from the previous movies if you're to enjoy it. I was able to, but then again, I didn't have high expectations out of this one. Looking forward to the eventual TV-show, whenever it comes out, but I'm a bit sad that Constantin Film is again producing...

This movie must have done terribly... already yanked out of all my local theaters. My friend in Arizona tried to see it today, couldn't find it playing anywhere.

fernoca

This movie must have done terribly... already yanked out of all my local theaters. My friend in Arizona tried to see it today, couldn't find it playing anywhere.
Worst performer of the series in US, but worldwide did well (despite also earning less than the previous two).

Should end with around $150 million worldwide, against around $40 million budget.

Tansut

Been lurking, but now that we're doing rankings I'm ready to join in. Saw The Final Chapter last week, and I can't get over how the editing absolutely ruined any chance the movie had of being enjoyable. I mean it still had the goofy, nonsensical as hell retcons and story beats, but I could barely SEE anything of importance because it was like watching a trailer on crack.

Anyway, I'm glad to see everyone is on board with 1 being the best and 2 being one of the worst.

1>3>4>5>>>2>>>6

As bad as this was, it was funny and entertaining. Friend zone from game of thrones kills it.

The world they created though is just full of bullshit. They could have easily jumped straight to his movie from the second film. The other films inbetween were nothing but pointless filler.

Has anyone seen the rumors floating around that Netflix is in early talks to make a Resident Evil series based on the games? Would be so fucking amazing if true. *fingers crossed* Not sure what the original source is, but it seems a couple of sites have picked up on the rumor. Could be all coming from the same source, but I don't know.

Edit: think I found the original source and it seems sketchy. Don't get your hopes up.

Vazduh

Edit: think I found the original source and it seems sketchy. Don't get your hopes up.

That rumor is false. However, the TV show is in the works, first mentioned in 2014 and again mentioned in December 2016:

Does that mean a ”Resident Evil" television series might be a possibility sometime in the future? ”Our TV department is chomping at the bit for one," Culpepper says. ”They want it."

But it's going to be produced by Constantin Films who have yet to develop it (it's not even in pre-production at the moment) and then shop it to the interested networks.

Vazduh

China Box Office: 'Resident Evil' Astonishes With Huge $94M Weekend

Sony's Resident Evil: The Final Chapter roared into China over the weekend, earning an historic $94.3 million, the largest Friday-to-Sunday opening of all time for an imported film.

Thanks to the big China numbers, The Final Chapter — the sixth and concluding Resident Evil film — is now on track to become the most successful installment in the video-game adaptation franchise.

Fellow video game adaptation 'Assassin's Creed' came in second with $17 million from Friday to Sunday.

I can't at this film slaying the competition

Ja2ZzO6.gif

Glad for Milla and Paul, but I hope this is the end of Alice-led movies for now. Reboot? Fine, but without this creative team pls.

Jawmuncher

Pretty sure a reboot is planned. I know TV was a possibility.

Personally I think the series would work well going back to horror much like the games have. You can do that with a small budget after all.
Though if Sony were to go all in a TV show and Movie that connect with one another kind of like Agents of Shield and Marvel would be interesting.

SArcher

Banned
Doobie White is officially the worst editor ever. Like wow, nothing I've ever seen compares to this awfulness. How? HOW?

ZeroCDR

Finally wanted to take a little time and share my thoughts. I am a huge RE video game fan and these movies are a very guilty pleasure.

I would say I like 1, 3 and 5 the most. Stupid movies, but largely inoffensive and lots of fun. 2 gets points for Jill and Nemesis, but I found it very hard to rewatch and 4 is really slow and awful, though I always dig the Wesker fight lifted wholesale from RE5.

This one wasn't very good, but I think 4 is still a bit worse overall. The biggest annoyance is handwaving the previous ending and making it into some sort of set-up by Wesker to kill our heroes. Wesker injected Alice with water I guess, because that was fake too. This makes the entirety of Retribution pointless, if your plan was to kill Alice and friends, why even rescue her from being captured? I'm guessing this had something to do with budget issues, but even then this could have been handwaved in a way that's not completely absurd.

What follows is tired race to the MacGuffin with a bunch of other retcons that also don't make any sense. Any time I tried to reflect on the Red Queen's motivations and their consistency with previous films I got a massive headache. Speaking of headaches, most of the action here is poorly edited save for a few decent sequences. I'm also still baffled by how tame these movies are in terms of gore, the R rating is basically for foul language. Overall it seemed to be a decent enough ending for the mess they made of the Resident Evil name, hopefully they reboot down the line and follow the games.

Additional spoilery thoughts:
Wesker is absolutely wasted here. No fights, and is defeated by losing a leg in a scene that rips off Robocop and Terminator 2 at the same time. They should have just had him die during the assault on DC and get rid of that atrocious "betrayal" angle. Iain Glen clearly takes over his material, so why even bother.

I'm sitting here wondering if this is even worth it because I can't even make out what the fuck is going on in any given action scene. This editing is horrendous.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm sitting here wondering if this is even worth it because I can't even make out what the fuck is going on in any given action scene. This editing is horrendous.

The worst part is the opening scene with the Bloodshot, it's not as bad later in the movie

But it's still shitty editing

If they make another of these thanks to the $$$...
Please for the love of god act like all of this was some dumb vr simulation/dream/etc.

Or just retcon The Final Chapter and actually follow the ending of Retribution wich was a fantastic action movie

The worst part is the opening scene with the Bloodshot, it's not as bad later in the movie

But it's still shitty editing

Or just retcon The Final Chapter and actually follow the ending of Retribution wich was a fantastic action movie

Thats what I mean, simulation or whatever ends and everyone is still in the White House as the movie starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom