• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter | OT | Complete Global Success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
Ah, Gotcha. I think the only movie that's really comparable here is Fast & Furious 7 and that was mainly what I was talking about. I do think Anderson & team could learn a lot about timing and presentation of Jump Scares and general atmosphere from movies like Saw 1 and The Conjuring though.

Absolutely, dude's got all the horror rules locked down and definitely knows how to use them effectively, he's absolutely on a higher tehnical level

kc44135

The only redeeming factor I got was that this is over now.
Even the worst of the earlier movies had a reason or two to be seen.

Yeah, it seems that everyone thinks it's trash. I was hoping it might be enjoyable trash, but it just sounds awful. :/ Oh well, at least they're done now (hopefully).

cj_iwakura

Rewatched them all again (before the marathon with my pals)

1>5>3>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2

I really can't fuckin stand Apocalypse, meanwhile Retribution is growing on me hard

Stll sad to see Berry kinda wasted tho, should've saved the character and just use him in TFC

But still, such a fun flick all around, easily the more videogamey as well

Barry was the best part of 5. Ada and Leon weren't awful, but Barry was flawless.

Barry was the best part of 5. Ada and Leon weren't awful, but Barry was flawless.

The Leon hand thing at the end completely redeemed any faults with Ada and Leon in that movie.
Barry was great.

Literally my only issue with that movie was Chris and Claire just vanishing between movies....
in the same exact scene.

GulAtiCa

I'll have to rewatch them all again to give a proper ranking. But based on memory I'd rank them as the following:

1 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 5 >>>> 2

I still kinda enjoy 2, but it's def the weakest of them all.

1>4>5>3>>2>>>>>>>>>6

I enjoyed 4 more than 1 but 1 is definitely a better movie.

Final Chapter should not have gotten past the first 2 pages of the script.

I sawl it yesterday. Not a single one of these is objectively great but RE's extremely curved scale it was slightly above its average.

One thing I don't get. Why do they keep going out of their way to say that Alice is depowered when she still pulls off all the same crazy fighting/agility shit she did before "losing" her powers?

I never got that.

I sawl it yesterday. Not a single one of these is objectively great but RE's extremely curved scale it was slightly above its average.

One thing I don't get. Why do they keep going out of their way to say that Alice is depowered when she still pulls off all the same crazy fighting/agility shit she did before "losing" her powers?

I never got that.

Why set up cliff-hangers 3-4 movies in a row and hand wave them immediately every single time?
They have no clue other than making a decent action movie in this universe(even that doesn't apply this time.)

I never got that.

She doesn't have telekinesis or other psychic powers.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Such a ridiculous movie - I was entertained.

It's like watching a live action saturday morning cartoon.

Experien

1>4>6>2>3>5

That's my order. 1 was good alternate timeline RE, 2 was pretty bad and lost me when Nemesis put up his dukes, 3...I should give it another chance but the special powers part ruined it for me. 4 tried to bring it back to normal by removing powers and it looked great in 3D. 5 felt like a waste and felt like it kept reusing scenes, you could probably forget it happened because all the retconning.

One thing that really bothered me.
why would they blow up all the frozen Umbrella people?
I get killing the people in charge but it was literally thousands of them.

No way were they all responsible, the heads would obviously have frozen their families as well.

Just really stupid when you consider there is only 4,000 total humans left on earth.

The Leon hand thing at the end completely redeemed any faults with Ada and Leon in that movie.
Barry was great.

Literally my only issue with that movie was Chris and Claire just vanishing between movies....
in the same exact scene.

I just saw this movie last night because it was free with RE7 and I was dying at that part. Things don't go right for Leon even in the movies.

Astral Dog

I liked the first, and third movies,later had an enjoyable change of scenary,smart zombies and an asshole villain.

The second had a few parts i loved as a kid but im sure they won't be as pretty now.
The rest was just forgetteable

Why set up cliff-hangers 3-4 movies in a row and hand wave them immediately every single time?

Yeah man, that handwaving of the cliffhanger for RE5 just ending with Alice under some rumble at the start of 6 really pissed me off.

I was legit hyped at the close of RE5 to see how they would get out of that situation...then the opening of RE6 just handwaved it all away.

One thing that really bothered me.
why would they blow up all the frozen Umbrella people?
I get killing the people in charge but it was literally thousands of them.

No way were they all responsible, the heads would obviously have frozen their families as well.

Just really stupid when you consider there is only 4,000 total humans left on earth.

If you agreed to be cryogenically frozen, you knew what was gonna happen. Yeah, there probably families in there too but Paul WS Anderson gives zero fucks about all that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I loved how
they made such a big emotional scene after the short hair girl gets sucked into the turbine but then a minute letter they just off 2 dudes within seconds like it was nothing.
Also, I'm no scientist but wouldn't they need a lot more than just 1 vile of the anti virus to cover the entire globe if it's an airborne transferred thing ?

ElyrionX

Holy shit this piece of shit movie should be banned.

Paul W. S. Anderson is a hack fraud. Cant believe he made Mortal Kombat.

Ummm you make it sound like Mortal Kombat is a good movie. It's not.

Also, I caught the first RE in the cinema and it was dogshit but I watched the rest on TV and it seems to have got slightly better over time.

Astral Dog

Poor Alice 😢
Im going to miss them
I loved how
they made such a big emotional scene after the short hair girl gets sucked into the turbine but then a minute letter they just off 2 dudes within seconds like it was nothing.
Also, I'm no scientist but wouldn't they need a lot more than just 1 vile of the anti virus to cover the entire globe if it's an airborne transferred thing ?
Thats all they had,i guess it would made sense if they used it to fabricate more but Alice is no scientist

shinkai

This was pretty bad, even by Resident Evil film standards.

I kept asking myself either "Why?" or "How?" every 5 minutes, like how

did Wesker bleed out from a foot amputation despite his powers giving him enough regeneration to the point where he easily regenerated after being shot point blank in the mouth with a shotgun and then riddled with bullets everywhere else in Afterlife?
and why
did they give Wesker such a crappy death? He got decapitated, exploded, and melted all at the same time in the games.
and why
did they help Alice escape from the Red Queen in the Arctic facility if the plan was to kill her anyway?
and why
didn't the laser room use the inescapable net pattern of the laser grid?
and how
did Isaacs managed to reboot and make it a mile above ground to catch that serum before it hit the ground? Even Wesker's super speed isn't that crazy.
and how
did Claire make it a mile above ground with the magic memory box before the facility exploded?
and why
didn't Alice kill Isaac's after she chopped off his hand?
and why
didn't Wesker just shut the door and then wait for them to get to the door before he released the dogs? They'd have nowhere to run because they didn't have the equipment to break through a 10 foot-thick security door.
and why
can Isaac's premonition software predict the odds of everything but his own deranged clone stabbing him or Alice putting a grenade in his pocket?
and why
was it so important that Alice be willing to kill herself with the virus? We already know that she'd risk her own life to save others. She does it all the time. What was the point of lying to her?
and why
didn't they just give her the childhood memories right off the bat? We've seen in the other film that they can implant fake memories in clones. Hell, they already gave a fake Alice fake memories when she was a housewife that one time. There's no reason for the memory loss thing.
and how
did a single kid zombie manage to kill/infect an entire cable car full of people before it reached the other end of wherever the hell they were going? That cable car ride didn't look that long.

And even though they do this in every one of the sequels, I really don't approve of
invalidating the ending cliffhanger of the last film by saying "oh, that injection that Wesker gave you? Nah, that didn't give you back your powers." Also that entire cliffhanger was a trick for no reason. Also every video game character in the film except for Claire is dead. No, you don't get to see what happened.

Also not sure if anyone has ever pointed this out but...... When/how did
Old Alicia wake up from her cryogenic sleep to upload the recording of the secret meeting that the Umbrella execs had to determine the destruction of humankind to the Red Queen so that the Red Queen would turn on Umbrella and inform Alice of the anti-virus?

Astral Dog

Also not sure if anyone has ever pointed this out but...... When/how did
Old Alicia wake up from her cryogenic sleep to upload the recording of the secret meeting that the Umbrella execs had to determine the destruction of humankind to the Red Queen so that the Red Queen would turn on Umbrella and inform Alice of the anti-virus?
I think it could have been before her sleep?
AI Alicia mentioned she was programmed to value humans and that the program was uploaded shortly after the Virus got released.

Geeky

Another quick Q that is probably inconsequential since they didn't care about the logic of this movie

About The Red Queen

The hologram girl is based on the likeness and recordings of REAL Alice when she was young correct? So would that mean that she had a British accent when she was young? When did she lose it? Did the father actor have a British accent?

Give it another day and the live action Resident Evil series will be a BILLION dollar grossing franchise worldwide

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=residentevil.htm

You got to take out Damnation from that list since it was one of those CG movies, but is listed at only $2.4 million.

Surprisingly, the series won't cross $300 million in the US.

GulAtiCa

According to the first movie's commentary: The Red Queen was originally played by a different girl, who was WAY British in sounding. If I recall, they had to replace her, since it sounded odd and wrong.

Anyways, regardless of that interesting fact, best to really not think too much into the Red Queen being British. Clearly they
only retcon that recently.

Jackpot

Banned
According to the first movie's commentary: The Red Queen was originally played by a different girl, who was WAY British in sounding. If I recall, they had to replace her, since it sounded odd and wrong.

Anyways, regardless of that interesting fact, best to really not think too much into the Red Queen being British. Clearly they
only retcon that recently.

Actually the reason they replaced her is because the new girl is Milla Jovovich's daughter.

Has to fit in with the retconned
clone storyline. Though we know it's a case of the tail wagging the dog.

breadtruck

They still making these films?! I loved the first film to death. 2nd was garbage, 3rd was shockingly the same and I didn't bother with any of them after that.

Is RE 4 and 5 worth checking out if I didn't enjoy 2 and 3?

This was my feeling as well, except I never even bothered with 3.

At some point Ill watch them, just to say I did it... glutton for punishment i suppose.

This actually wasn't that bad if you take the film for what it was. People hyped up Mad Max Fury Road which was pretty dry on plot and character development as well but had tons of action to back it up. They both were nice popcorn flicks, but nothing that I'm really going to be thinking about years from now.

Jawmuncher

This was easily the second worst one. My ranking (2,1,5,4,6,3)

The first half drags too long so when the stuff starts happening you don't really care. Then the movie didn't have much in the way of fan service for the games.

wesker just dying from a door was dumb. Dr Isaacs being the main bad was pretty dumb as well, felt shoe horned in since he was the biggest actor due to his game of thrones stuff. Then there's a bunch of stuff I just didn't like in general

Glad these movies are over. Even if I did have my fun with the earlier films. They were just getting too unwieldy and I'm not a fan of the post apocalyptic setting they did.

Out 1

As a fan of Retribution and Afterlife, it's disappointing that W.S. couldn't close the series (
though I doubt it's the last one
) on a high note. Shame that he chose fast-paced, frenetic editing, thus sacrificing his beautiful symmetrical compositions. At least he proved to be good at it, so it's not all to waste.

Still a fun enough movie. Pity that watching it in 3D was pointless, despite 3D being the highlight of previous two films.

5>4>1>6

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So .. can we safely assume all the characters from the older movies Leon/Ada/Jill etc got killed off ?

At least that's what the line Isaac says to Wesker about making sure he took care of all loose ends sounds like.

Jawmuncher

So .. can we safely assume all the characters from the older movies Leon/Ada/Jill etc got killed off ?

At least that's what the line Isaac says to Wesker about making sure he took care of all loose ends sounds like.

Ye
ah, I took it as everyone in the whitehouse died. While Wesker assumed his injection would kill her. Though it apparently did nothing but wipe her memory

I think I enjoyed the prior movie the best, but it was everything I expect from an RE movie, with the exception of the story actually wrapping up. I would have preferred something at the end that made the story not make sense anymore, to show that the series could continue, instead of the dragons flying above her. RE is about rambling action scenes strung together so fast they leave no space for coherent plot. So i guess i was good up until that last motorcycle scene and then I thought, wait, this ending kinda makes too much sense.

I still really enjoyed it though and look forward to remarathoning all of it in a few years.

Did anyone else find it too loud?
Ya, I thought it was the theater I was in. Sounds like the mix was just poorly done, probably on purpose for the cheap jump scares.

Lagamorph

Just got back from seeing this.
I'll admit, I definitely enjoyed it but I'm not going to lie, the writing was just utterly shambolic. Not only did Anderson not stay within the rules and more of the world the previous films created, he didn't even stay within the new rules this film established for more than a few minutes.

I think I'd rank the films overall as,

Apocalypse (2)
Retribution (5)
Resident Evil (1)
Final Chapter (6)
Extinction (3)
Afterlife (4)

GulAtiCa

Actually the reason they replaced her is because the new girl is Milla Jovovich's daughter.

Has to fit in with the retconned
clone storyline. Though we know it's a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Oh no no. I was talking about the original movie.

I didn't know the new Red Queen girl was her daughter. That's neat!

cj_iwakura

Seeing it in two hours. Let's gogovich!
(I'm keeping my expectations low, but at least it's Anderson helming the train wreck.)

cj_iwakura

My gripe was simply the cinematography..
4 and 5 were so elegant with clean shots ilustrating the fight scenes.
This felt like a step backwards where literally I had no idea what was going on..

This is how I felt. Good god, Anderson. Whoever your new editor is('Dookie'!?), fire that hack.

So yeah, this film really is a hot mess... easily the worst of the Anderson REs, still better than 2, marginally better than 3. The villains ham it up so much that they basically save the film, ESPECIALLY Shawn Roberts' Wesker. Give that man the Oscar.

Making his wretched death all the more infuriating, I wanted a final fight with him.

Count me in with the 'I liked the Afterlife Wesker fight' camp, too. Shit was hype.

You should have brought more.

But as a huge Claire fan, I definitely appreciate that
she's the only survivor from the games. Go kick rocks, Jill.

Vazduh

My ranking: 1 > 3 = 6 > 4 > 2 > 5

Good enough, although I feel a lot of things were just retconned (the creator of the T-virus, all about the cure, Wesker's regenerative powers that just disappeared, Red Queen being good after trying to annihilate everyone before etc). I see people over on IMDB boards filling in the gaps/justifying Anderson's writing decisions and while it's really cool that they can make sense of it, I'm not convinced it was "meant to be from the first movie", like Anderson claims now in several interviews.

Still, I appreciate what W.S. Anderson tried to do - deliver a straight-up filthy, vicious, violent, loud and fast-paced 106 minutes. I'm more than OK with that, to be quite honest! I didn't even mind the quick editing save for the scene with the Bloodshot which was chopped to hell.

irg55aK.gif

But it is worse than this

play at x2, basically. I mean, I was going to re-animate the 'worst movie you've seen this year' thread over this one, because holy fucking shit is this the worst edited movie made in 2016. Move over, Suicide Squad, you've been replaced for the top one position.

This movie is straight up vomit inducing that I had to walk out to avoid doing just that. I was surprised to see I had barely lasted twenty minutes either. Felt like an hour.

This thing will need a massive re-cut for home release. Because there is plenty good things in there, it's just that the editing turns everything into a garbled flurry of images that borders on shock-static.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom