• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Is the revelations demo the same one from nintendo world 2011 ?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's it? No screenshots, links to the best vids, etc or anything? Not that I'm likely to get this (or 3DS any time soon) but it would be nice to have more info in one thread.

Mr_Zombie

BattleMonkey said:
And doesn't it make more sense players would be playing the repeatable mode and MP in games much longer than single player campaigns in pretty much everything nowadays?
Well yes, that's why so many games nowadays are mainly multiplayer modes with a short singleplayer campaign shoehorned in.

heringer said:
First video I watch with someone who actually knows how to play the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtkU13SI3bI
Definite buy for me now. Kind of wish they had different animations for the melee attacks though.

Kuran said:
Might hold out for NGP version after the press blowout today..
Yay, with Heroes of Ruin, 3DS threads confirmed to be like Wii threads of old. Well, what's another 5 years of it.

Father_Brain said:
Guys, please stop quoting a certain troll. I have him on my ignore list for a reason.
Thanks for reminding me of that feature, will be of great use in the Project Cafe threads as well.

heringer said:
First video I watch with someone who actually knows how to play the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtkU13SI3bI

This is how you 'actually' play the game?
One shot - melee - one shot - melee - one shot - melee - repeat until you're bored as fuck

Would somebody literally play through the whole game like this, staggering enemies and melee-ing them on an infinite loop forever? What an utterly bizarre and pointless way to play.....

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
One shot - melee - one shot - melee - one shot - melee - repeat until you're bored as fuck

Would somebody literally play through the whole game like this, staggering enemies and melee-ing them on an infinite loop forever? What an utterly bizarre and pointless way to play.....

It seems thats the way to play for people in order to reach high scores. I personally find more fun in the unexpectedness and being spontaneous. Also to compete with friends for the highest points.

That's actually how you play to get the highest score. Takes quite a bit of skill to get such neat combos going. It might look boring to people unfamiliar with the gameplay, but its quite a thrill to keep up such a run, keeping position, terrain and resources in mind.

High skill gamplay for most games often looks boring to people who don't know how the gameplay and system works.

Believe me, my first playthrough will look nothing like that and actually fall more in line with some of the embarassing videos of the game out there^^

heringer

It might look boring, but playing is believing. It's really fun to rack up combos like that. :)

the skill is in pacing out the kills so that your chain never breaks, focussing on the correct enemy out of the ones attacking you, and as this guy does really well meleeing the staggered enemies into each other to 'chain' stagger if you will. even then he makes a bunch of mistakes (getting too near to enemies that explode) and loses a bunch of health.

it's not easy to pull off what he's doing, and it certainly isn't boring. the longer your combo goes on, the more pressure you feel not to screw up.

you don't have to rely so much on meleeing if you don't want to. you can lead the enemies from one hour glass to another, making sure not to kill the last one alive without enough time to kill the next. that's fun too. he didn't get most of the hour glasses in this video because he was getting so many time bonusses from melee kills.

once you have ganados that start bursting open with las plagas, things get even more difficult to chain.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KevinCow said:
why does the op keep calling it biohazard

Because it's called Biohazard.

it's called resident evil outside of japan

No it isn't.

this isn't a japanese board

Yes it is.

stop being a weaboo

NO U.

One-shot-melee is how you rack up time to get high-scores and combos. Which is the point of the mode: a score attack. If you don't really care, don't play it like that and just survive/shoot shit.

Alexios

So to you every shooter is boring because you usually don't even mix up the shooting with melee so it's always just point, shoot, point, shoot, point, repeatedly shoot...? Oh well.

Ok cheers guys what you've all said makes a lot of sense :)
I re-watched the video with all of your info in mind and I do get it now.
Still slightly dull admittedly but I do see the skill in his play.
I'll probably still buy this regardless as my 3DS is crying out for something and nothing seems to be on the horizon once I've beaten Zelda

TheSeks said:
One-shot-melee is how you rack up time to get high-scores and combos. Which is the point of the mode: a score attack. If you don't really care, don't play it like that and just survive/shoot shit.
Duly noted. With games like this I generally prefer the latter to the former.

GrayFoxPL

Biohazard is in no way superior. If the names were the other way around some would insist RE is superior because it's original japanese name! Don't you understand that!? RAGE! Lol.

Biohazard had pussy difficulty level, western RE fixed that :p.

GrayFoxPL said:
Biohazard is in no way superior. If the names were the other way around some would insist RE is superior because it's original japanese name! Don't you understand that!? RAGE! Lol.

Biohazard had pussy difficulty level, western RE fixed that :p.
Resident Evil is a great name.

for a game set in a scary house.

for a franchise? not so much.

Angry Fork

I hate Leon for some reason, I don't get people's fascination with him. I didn't like RE4 though so maybe that's why. I'm a fan of the corny older dialogue from Chris, Barry etc. I wish they'd bring that back instead of keeping the boring serious-face actiony characters.

Angry Fork said:
I hate Leon for some reason, I don't get people's fascination with him. I didn't like RE4 though so maybe that's why. I'm a fan of the corny older dialogue from Chris, Barry etc. I wish they'd bring that back instead of keeping the boring serious-face actiony characters.

I loved RE4 but I dont get the love for Leon either. Anyone could have filled his role in RE4. I also hate his sissy haircut.

Bizzyb

Banned
devastatorprime said:
Speaking of faces I just realized that at the official japanese site they updated claire's art. Left is new, right is old.

She looks a million times better.

I actually remember reading an article way back in the day that JPN devs/artists intentionally make their characters with subtle Japanese traits so that Japanese audiences can better relate to them, e.g. MGS2 Snake model

evangd007

Angry Fork said:

You like corny dialogue and you didn't like RE4 Leon? Does not compute!

devastatorprime said:
Awesome, Wesker, Claire and Hunk's alts are really good. Hunk has a knife at the tip of his boot like jean claude van damme did in cyborg!

Rebecca's is the best because it's so cliche and uninspired and naughty naughty.

MooMoo said:
Woah Barry's is so hot! I almost feel like Wesker and Krauser should be swapped. Wesker's alt reminds me too much of Krauser's mutated arm, even though it looks fairly different.
resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-20110602003632233.jpg

He's such a beast^^ Oh dear lord, I just imagine the designers and modellers laughing their ass off while making this coustume^^

Alexios

Did they really confirm no DLC plans for this? You'd think it's the type of game that could benefit greatly from such things, even more than the likes of that Chronicles game, not only for players to get more bang for their buck but also for Capcom as it would make users hold onto it instead of sell it off and get others to buy it used and what not. It's not like it has that much effort in its actual content (though porting down a PS360 game couldn't have been easy, this could have passed as an NGP game in higher res) since it seems to have nothing new outside costumes and stuff and some people are already miffed it's not simply a part of Revelations or whatever...

Also, since I don't have a 3DS, can people confirm how exactly the friend codes and lists work? Is it completely unified this time? Like, if you have SSFIV 3D and have some friends on it, will you be able to play Mercenaries 3D with them without going through any importing process or whatever else, just starting the game up and playing? Or are friend lists still separate by game but you can also export them to generic 3DS lists and then import them into other games?

gimz

after this game release i think Capcom can make the next main Biohazard game really hard, cuz everyone will have enough training by playing this

and i hope in the next main Biohazard they can have 2 camera mode, one traditional fixed camera mode, and one 3rd person mode

Alexios

DJmizuhara said:
Got it yesterday and decided to make a quick 15 minute video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=PY-mzzZcEVA

I'll be recording more of the game tomorrow as well as doing a live stream.
That's some pretty nice picture quality. The game could have passed as an NGP title visually. Chris' (es?) model looks pretty damn faithful to RE5 there, as does the level.

Oh yeah, if you want to skip to the gameplay bits just go to like 3:30 folks, for the very first tutorial-like mission with no zombies, 6 minutes for the next, etc. It looks great.

Top Bottom