• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

beje

Banned
GeekyDad said:
I wasn't referring to paid DLC -- what Iwata seemed to be referring to recently -- more something along the lines of what Samurai Warriors Chronicles has offered.

The game doesn't even have the option to accept SpotPass updates, so I'll say "no" as in "the game is not even prepared to accept DLC or patches"

GeekyDad

beje said:
The game doesn't even have the option to accept SpotPass updates, so I'll say "no" as in "the game is not even prepared to accept DLC or patches"

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about.

Thanks

Boney

Banned
Hey guys, just got this, finally found a good price used.

Here's my FC 0301 - 9795 -9335

Waiting some cool co-op with some of you guys later on.

MooMoo

Boney said:

Used? What am abomination! :p I'm up for a few games later if you want.

Ken

Boney said:

Will add you tomorrow.

@MooMoo

Do I have your FC? Don't think we've ever duo'd before, but we should try lol.

MooMoo

Ken said:
Will add you tomorrow.

@MooMoo

Do I have your FC? Don't think we've ever duo'd before, but we should try lol.
Pretty sure we duo'd at least once :p Been a while since I've touched this game. Been finishing a few other games in my backlog and played through the RE5 campaign with my bro for the first time.

fernoca

Got this yesterday (as a gift), really enjoying it. The visuals are quite amazing, the 3D is subtle but cool. Still getting the hang og things as I'm still used the the usual stop/shoot of playing RE-games. The additions of more variety as in bossess and objectoiives is quite nice too. Music is great as in previous Merceneries games (i.e. RE4/RE5-Mercenaries music); guess it's teh closest to a P.N.03 Capcom is going to make. :p

Revelations demo was awesome..but so short. :(

Apocryphon

Bought this yesterday. REALLY enjoying it - waaaaaay better than I had anticipated. I'm actually preferring the 3D effect in this game, not sure why buy it adds a little something extra. The only criticism I could lay at the game is the slight drop in animation frames when enemies are running in from a distance. It doesn't detract from the experience though.

I was surprised at how well the game controlled. I wasn't sure whether the slide pad would be as comfortable to use as it is. It's far and away superior to the nub on PSP. The game is an absolute joy to play on 3DS. Really happy with my purchase.

Sectus

fernoca said:
Got this yesterday (as a gift), really enjoying it. The visuals are quite amazing, the 3D is subtle but cool. Still getting the hang og things as I'm still used the the usual stop/shoot of playing RE-games. The additions of more variety as in bossess and objectoiives is quite nice too. Music is great as in previous Merceneries games (i.e. RE4/RE5-Mercenaries music); guess it's teh closest to a P.N.03 Capcom is going to make. :p

Revelations demo was awesome..but so short. :(
I've actually not touched the left shoulder button a single time (and I've played the game enough to get S rank or better on every stage). So if you're stubborn like me, you can still play it like it's RE5 and not move while aiming/firing.

Bummer I got this a day after my 3DS was sold and shipped off lol :(

Oh well, I'll pick up a used copy in November , lets go discount :D

But by then I'll assume everyone will stop playing online.

MooMoo

Glad to see a few more people enjoying the game! It really did get a lot of backlash pre-launch but at its core it's definitely a solid game.

@ fernoca and Sectus: As for not using strafing in this game, I hardly use it myself. But there are definitely times when it helps to strafe&shoot. I find it especially useful when sniping since strafe-shooting cuts back on the sniper ready animation time, which is painfully long even with skills. That being said, it's definitely not a necessity to use it. It's just a nice addition that adds to the streamlined changes in this rendition of mercs. One of the few things I want to get used to is exploiting the invincibility frames. Definitely would be helpful during the 5 and EX-missions.

I wish more people would post when they are playing. I'd rather play with gaffers than random peeps. Outside of the people who spam rockets and don't help maintain the kill combo, there are also the people who'll follow me for the entire duration of the game. No thanks, I can handle myself unless I'm being chased by double executioners/chainsaw guys.

GeekyDad

Sectus said:
I've actually not touched the left shoulder button a single time (and I've played the game enough to get S rank or better on every stage). So if you're stubborn like me, you can still play it like it's RE5 and not move while aiming/firing.

Yeah, I tried strafing a couple of times, but meh... About 50 hours later, I'm still SS ranking pretty much every mission.

Bumhead

Banned
Picked this up today. Finally spotted this for the right price at a used game store, but the game was "transferred in sealed" so is as new with a fresh save, never been used before. Perfect combination.. good price, I get to play the game and Capcom see zero of my cash for their crappy save system.

Really enjoying the game so far. Controls feel ever so slightly awkward but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

God Almighty! Trying to SS 5-2 with Hunk using his weapon loadout is becoming a real pain in the ass. And it was a pain trying to do the same thing on 5-1 (managed to get SS eventually with an exact 90k score)

Ken

lazybones18 said:
God Almighty! Trying to SS 5-2 with Hunk using his weapon loadout is becoming a real pain in the ass. And it was a pain trying to do the same thing on 5-1 (managed to get SS eventually with an exact 90k score)
Hunk's load out is perfect for 4-1. Anything else? Eh...

GeekyDad

Ken said:
Hunk's load out is perfect for 4-1. Anything else? Eh...

EX1, since it's essentially the same. But you'll find it works great also on any of the regular majini missions, even better, since those guys are generally weaker than the monks. I rack up in the mine missions. Flash grenade + launch finisher + thunderstorm = broken.

I am interested in playing some online with people here. If someone is up for helping me to get some duo achievements. Been playing online with random people so far, and it's quite fun.

My friend code is: 2062 - 9139 - 2362

GeekyDad

Whelp, Mercs 3D has officially become my most-played 3DS game. It took top slots for hours played (over Samurai Warriors Chronicles, which is at 60+) and most time played per session (over OoT 3D). Totally wasn't expecting to get so much mileage out of this game, especially in such a short amount of time. Who knew...

MooMoo

GeekyDad said:
Whelp, Mercs 3D has officially become my most-played 3DS game. It took top slots for hours played (over Samurai Warriors Chronicles, which is at 60+) and most time played per session (over OoT 3D). Totally wasn't expecting to get so much mileage out of this game, especially in such a short amount of time. Who knew...
Haha nice. It's my most played 3DS game too, but I only have SSF4 and I didn't really like fighters to begin with :S I'm pretty sure Ken has clocked in over 90+ hours into this game. I think the gameplay really suits the 3DS; easy enough to play in short quick bursts but also fun and deep enough to play for longer sessions.

Magnus

Any awesome pricing on this, or (goddamnit), is it actually doing really well all around and staying at $40? :p

Was really looking forward to this initially, and shamefully decided to hold out when all the negative press hit, thinking it would crash in price quick (and I guess it may yet do so in the coming couple of months).

I see it for $30 as part of amazon's summer portable gaming sale. Pretty good!

Ken

GeekyDad said:
EX1, since it's essentially the same. But you'll find it works great also on any of the regular majini missions, even better, since those guys are generally weaker than the monks. I rack up in the mine missions. Flash grenade + launch finisher + thunderstorm = broken.

Kills with Thunderstorm don't award the +5 routing bonus so I stopped using it.

I guess Hunk's load outworks great on any map without any enemies immune to flash but when there are it tends to break my combos or cause me to slip up.

Also, EX-1 has the giant chainsaw guy which makes keeping that 150 combo a little more difficult than on 4-1 with Hunk's load out.

MooMoo said:
I'm pretty sure Ken has clocked in over 90+ hours into this game.

e789aed2.jpg

I've been playing Dragon Nest and MvC3 a lot recently so my Mercs time could have been a lot higher. :s

Boney said:
Is there a detail analisis on what each costume does?

Different costumes have different "damage taken multiplier" and changes the healing amount of herbs.

From the JP Wiki:

Hank is Hunk, and Crowther is Krauser. Costume is default costume, and costume EX is alternate costume.

From what I understand (and Google Translate), all characters have 1000 hit points. Different costumes have different damage multipliers, so the greater the multiplier the more damage you take.

e4c9e54c.png

Number of hit points healed by a single herb with each costume. As far as I know, a character will heal himself and their partner for the same amount they heal themselves, so pairing a healer like Rebecca (Nurse) with Wesker (Ouroborous) can mitigate the latter's low healing attribute.

7e46c4fe.png

To sum it up: a costume with increased healing will take more damage from attacks, while a costume with lower healing will take less damage from attacks.

Boney

Banned

MooMoo said:
Used? What am abomination! :p I'm up for a few games later if you want.
Woops sorry I missed that, went skiing on the weekend.

Wanna get more familiar with the game before going online cause I don't wanna be a niusance. I'm not bad at the game, was pretty good at 4's, but still.

oatmeal

Banned
Ken said:
Kills with Thunderstorm don't award the +5 routing bonus so I stopped using it.

I guess Hunk's load outworks great on any map without any enemies immune to flash but when there are it tends to break my combos or cause me to slip up.

Also, EX-1 has the giant chainsaw guy which makes keeping that 150 combo a little more difficult than on 4-1 with Hunk's load out.

e789aed2.jpg

I've been playing Dragon Nest and MvC3 a lot recently so my Mercs time could have been a lot higher. :s

Different costumes have different "damage taken multiplier" and changes the healing amount of herbs.

Holy shit. That's a lot of 3DS time.

MooMoo

Boney said:

Woops sorry I missed that, went skiing on the weekend.

Wanna get more familiar with the game before going online cause I don't wanna be a niusance. I'm not bad at the game, was pretty good at 4's, but still.
Haha 'tis fine :p I should start playing with randoms again to get back in the groove of this game. Currently waiting for November for my next 3DS game, and it's not Mario!

Ken

MooMoo said:
Haha 'tis fine :p I should start playing with randoms again to get back in the groove of this game.

You should post when you get on and I'll play some duos with you. I too need to get back into this game. Last time I played a random Rebecca would SMG every enemy I was in the process of meleeing. =\

MooMoo

Ken said:
You should post when you get on and I'll play some duos with you. I too need to get back into this game. Last time I played a random Rebecca would SMG every enemy I was in the process of meleeing. =\
I'm free anytime, for the most part. I keep tabs on gaf enough to see whenever someone posts here. So whenever you're free I'm good to rock out a few games! I'll probably need to relearn a few of the maps and their time extension/combo placements though lol.

Unai

beje said:

Indeed. But inside the settings in the eShop there is an option that try to update my titles. They might use this, I guess.

NateDrake

Boney said:
Aaaaaand unlocked HUNK's loadout, it being my first.
Awesome. This game is was too addictive. Really a damn shame the bad press before release about the save data turned people off from the game because it's a great game even with limited maps. Playing as all the characters and just beating your own scores over and over again is great fun.

Boney

Banned
NateDrake said:
Awesome. This game is was too addictive. Really a damn shame the bad press before release about the save data turned people off from the game because it's a great game even with limited maps. Playing as all the characters and just beating your own scores over and over again is great fun.
Yeah, I was always excited about this, because I've loved both Mercenaries mode. My biggest dissapointment was that this was 100% recycling. Well except for Hunk, Claire and Krauser.

But it's light on content, A mini campaign for each character and the EX missions available for all would've been great. Hell, they didn't even include the Water level from 4, not to mention new levels.

Not even really bothered about the save part, and I even got it used, but it could've been so much more. I appreciate the tweaked mechanics and love the core gameplay, so I'm having tons of fun, but it could've been so much more.

I guess mercenaries 2 will be super awesome.

mr_chun

^I've struggled a bit with Claire. Shame too, cause I was planning on using her the most. I don't think she's the worst, though. Rebecca takes a lot of damage, and has the weakest melees (at least, the one's I've managed to pull off). The rocket launcher is amazing for bosses, but the lack of a third weapon hurts.

And wow, Ken has SERIOUSLY gotten his money's worth out of the 3DS and his games. He has more hours on Nintendogs than I do on my #1 game, and he has more hours on RE than I do on all of my 3DS retail games combined lol. I wish I had that much time to game.

Boney said:
So is it me or claire is the worst character? Loadout sucks and meele's suck.

Haven't used Rebecca yet though..
I've never really had a problem using Claire myself (My most used character, actually) She gets really good once you've unlocked some skills. (I use Thunderbolt, Giant Killer, and Handgun Technique with her standard loadout )Being able to cancel the animation for her Upper Combination melee is pretty handy, too.

mr_chun said:
Rebecca takes a lot of damage, and has the weakest melees (at least, the one's I've managed to pull off).
Give Rebecca a maxed out Lucky or Full Burst skill, and her Head Cracker melee is almost always a guaranteed kill, thanks to it's absurdly high critical rate.

Lonely1 said:
Rebecca is OP.
The grenade launcher is my god. Rebecca is my most used character.

It's either that or I'm going on an electric knife murder spree with Krauser, not the most effective tactic but so damn fun as someone who prefers melee

GeekyDad

Just caught wind the game would be on sale for $20 next week at Best Buy, for those who were perhaps still holding out for a bargain price.

GeekyDad

lazybones18 said:
I can now confirm that Mission 5-1 is without a doubt my MOST HATED LEVEL in the game

Seriously, fuck that level.

Wuh? I love that level. It's one of the few that's more vertical than sprawling. Plus, the monks make such a nice splat noise when Becca bashes them from behind.

Top Bottom