• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
best 20 bucks ive ever spent!

so from reading the last page rebecca is the best character?

im using Hunk cos he looks like such a BOSS on the 180 spin

Ken

AndresON777 said:

Krauser is probably the best character from a gameplay perspective, although I tend to use other characters since I don't like the way Krauser looks.

Ken

Grisby said:
Bought this at BB for the deal.

So how do you earn costumes?
Barry (American) - Get 20 Medals
Chris (Pilot) - Mission Level 1-3 get an SS-rank, or get 10 Medals
Claire (Suit) - Get 25 Medals
HUNK (Reaper) - Get all A-rank on all Mission Level (except Level Ex)
Jill (RE3) - Get an S-rank on Mission Level 3-5
Krauser (Exoskeleton) - Get S-rank on Mission Level 5-5
Rebacca (Nurse) - Get all S-rank on all Mission Level (except Level Ex)
Wesker (Uroboros) - Get a B-rank or above for all Mission

I think the formatting might get messed up.

GeekyDad

AndresON777 said:

Surprisingly balanced mix, in my opinion. I'll admit to mostly using Rebecca, but that's simply because her loadout is kind of noob-friendly. I've SSed all missions, including the EX missions, but I'm not a great player by any means. Thing is, they all have their pluses and minuses. Barry's headbutt is pretty dang effective, especially with Hunk's loadout, and Hunk's melees are guaranteed kills but the animations are long. Krauser's bow is very powerful but requires more precision when trying to set up melees, and the extra loadout
Red 9/double nade launcher
is kinda cheap but requires frequent reloading. I use 'em all and enjoy them all. Of course, only Becca has the nurse outfit. ;)

Totally worth the 20 dollar investment. I usually hate time limits, but as soon as i hit real levels, it reminded me how little of a problem they really are.

That said, now that i unlocked all the characters and outfits, i have hit a serious wall when it comes to enjoying the game. I still have yet to beat a dam EX mission, and 75% of the time its not my fault (playing online) which is frustrating. Are any of you crazy good? PM ME

Ken

Gamer @ Heart said:
Totally worth the 20 dollar investment. I usually hate time limits, but as soon as i hit real levels, it reminded me how little of a problem they really are.

That said, now that i unlocked all the characters and outfits, i have hit a serious wall when it comes to enjoying the game. I still have yet to beat a dam EX mission, and 75% of the time its not my fault (playing online) which is frustrating. Are any of you crazy good? PM ME

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435788

Not sure how many on that list are still actively playing Mercenaries since release. I haven't been online much on Mercenaries recently; been busy with other games.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I've been having a good time with this, but this could have been so much better. Glad I didn't buy it for more than $20. Not adding new levels was one thing, but the amount of levels they took from the previous games is criminal, and I hate the mission set up.

It does look good, though, and the core game is still fun.

GeekyDad

Fantastical said:
I've been having a good time with this, but this could have been so much better. Glad I didn't buy it for more than $20. Not adding new levels was one thing, but the amount of levels they took from the previous games is criminal, and I hate the mission set up.

It does look good, though, and the core game is still fun.

What's wrong with the mission set-up?

I agree, though, it could/should have been a much better game, worthy of being a true standalone product. The game is like a ditzy girlfriend: she leaves her shit laying around everywhere, eats all your snacks, and never washes a dish. But she makes up for all of it in bed.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
GeekyDad said:
What's wrong with the mission set-up?
I would have preferred there to been a missions option and then a "classic" option or something. The classic option would have all the maps avaliable and you can do just classic Mercenaries. The missions would be the ones with boss battles or special conditions or something like that.

I think they did the mission structure just to make it look like they have more content.

bumpkin

Wait a minute... Medals? What's this about medals?

Lovin' the game thus far, definitely worth the $15 I paid for it (yay for Reward Zone coupons). I'm currently stuck trying to get a "B" rank on all of the level 4 stages to unlock level 5.

GeekyDad

Fantastical said:
I would have preferred there to been a missions option and then a "classic" option or something. The classic option would have all the maps avaliable and you can do just classic Mercenaries. The missions would be the ones with boss battles or special conditions or something like that.

I think they did the mission structure just to make it look like they have more content.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I mean, you're pretty much doing the same thing for every mission; 4-5 and Ex9 are the only real exceptions and the closest thing to a survival mode the game offers. It would have been cool to have true variety with the missions, and they should have done that. It wouldn't have been that much more difficult to mix things up using the same assets and mechanics and also offer a true, endless-survival mode.

Capcom are smart, though. They knew they could get away with the bare minimum because of how slim the pickings are right now. This time next year, folks will likely be laughing about how paltry Mercs 3D is or completely forget about the game altogether. It's admittedly addictive fun but should have been more at $40 (what I and a lot of other folks paid for the game).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
GeekyDad said:
Yeah, I definitely agree. I mean, you're pretty much doing the same thing for every mission; 4-5 and Ex9 are the only real exceptions and the closest thing to a survival mode the game offers. It would have been cool to have true variety with the missions, and they should have done that. It wouldn't have been that much more difficult to mix things up using the same assets and mechanics and also offer a true, endless-survival mode.

Capcom are smart, though. They knew they could get away with the bare minimum because of how slim the pickings are right now. This time next year, folks will likely be laughing about how paltry Mercs 3D is or completely forget about the game altogether. It's admittedly addictive fun but should have been more at $40 (what I and a lot of other folks paid for the game).
Also, I haven't played RE4/5 in a while, but are a lot of the levels more limited than they are in those games?

Blueblur1

This game is weird. I don't miss the item management from RE5 but I miss reloading while climbing stairs, etc. and the bigger stages. Oh, and the right stick. I miss that, too.

GeekyDad

AndresON777 said:
lol need help on 3-5 lol

Just destroy all the time bonuses (4) first, then wait for the big guy to pass near any barrels, machine gun the inside of his lobster tail, and you're pretty much done -- SS rank on the books.

fernoca

Blueblur1 said:
This game is weird. I don't miss the item management from RE5 but I miss reloading while climbing stairs, etc. and the bigger stages. Oh, and the right stick. I miss that, too.
What do you mean by reloading? In this game (unlike RE5) you can reload and even heal yourself while walking. And the setups in RE5 didn't used the right analog stick other that to adjust viewpoint (and/or turning); unless I'm missing something else. :p

Ken

Blueblur1 said:

Reloading while climbing stairs? Couldn't you just tap reload while running?

SmithnCo

Blueblur1 said:

There are some perks that let you reload while in other animations. Sometimes it works pretty good because you can instantly reload a grenade launcher while in the "stunned by nearby explosion" animation.

I don't really miss the right stick because the RE games aren't built around it really; the stages being smaller sucks though.

Blueblur1

The thing with reloading while running is that I hate having to stop to initiate the animation and I often find myself trying to perform a 180º turn while waiting for the animation cycle to finish. As for the right stick comment, I'm used to the RE5 setup(s) where a flick of the right stick lets you peer over to the left and right of your character. Helps me get my bearings.

Ken

Blueblur1 said:
The thing with reloading while running is that I hate having to stop to initiate the animation and I often find myself trying to perform a 180º turn while waiting for the animation cycle to finish. As for the right stick comment, I'm used to the RE5 setup(s) where a flick of the right stick lets you peer over to the left and right of your character. Helps me get my bearings.

I find that reloading with the touch screen while running minimizes the time stopped for the animation to start, while reloading with the button makes the stop more noticeable.

Blueblur1

Ken said:
I find that reloading with the touch screen while running minimizes the time stopped for the animation to start, while reloading with the button makes the stop more noticeable.
Wait, I can reload by using the touch screen?

Ken

lazybones18 said:
shit, the Red Executioner eats up a lot of proximity bombs

I think it took 5+ bombs with melee attacks to kill him

The good thing about Executioners is that they and their attack animations are so slow you could just walk backwards slowly while shooting them and they'd never hit you.

The bad thing is they are so quiet that getting attacked by them from behind and being sent straight into fatal condition is frightening and happens to me too often.

Boney

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
Yep, as Ken said you can touch your weapon to reload, and you can use the touchscreen portion of the map as a second analog, I use it for quick turning with aiming.

Mechanically it's way superior to RE5, it's a shame they skimped out on content.

Having taken a look at all the EX missions, with the exception of EX-9, I can already tell my ass is gonna get handed to me a lot on EX-7 and EX-8. Can't decide which one I dread more

Still trying to SS EX-5, but I know I'll find a way

Fucking annoying. Can't connect online to anyone on this game. Had no problems with SSF43D or DoA, but this game is being a stupid bitch.

I had trouble at launch connecting, now we are 2 months out since launch and there are still issues. >>;

Bryan1321

Banned
Hi guys

AS you have played a fair amount of time

Could you recomend me the game for the price fo 40$ (Living in mexico this is a good price for a standard 3ds game: 58$)

What would you say ?

Edit: Im fan of the series since Re4 (wii)

GeekyDad

MidnightScott said:
Fucking annoying. Can't connect online to anyone on this game. Had no problems with SSF43D or DoA, but this game is being a stupid bitch.

I had trouble at launch connecting, now we are 2 months out since launch and there are still issues. >>;

I know I initially had to try about three times each time I went to log into the network for this game, then I tried something one of the kids on GameFAQs suggested, putting the system in sleep mode for a second while on the network screen (before choosing the Internet option). Haven't had a single issue since.

Bryan1321 said:
Hi guys

AS you have played a fair amount of time

Could you recomend me the game for the price fo 40$ (Living in mexico this is a good price for a standard 3ds game: 58$)

What would you say ?

Paid $40 (USD) for it, and I'm very satisfied with the 70 hours I've mined from it thus far.

Ken

Bryan1321 said:

Pick it up if:

You enjoyed Mercenaries in RE4 or RE5.
Enjoy trying to get higher and higher scores.
Don't mind replaying the same handful of stages over and over.
Enjoy online co-operative play.
Need something to play on your 3DS.

Don't pick it up if:

You didn't enjoy Mercenaries in RE4 or RE5.
Don't care about high scores.
You are looking for a ton of unique content and hate replaying the same stages over and over.

It's a great game for the experiences it offers but the lack of unique content, the brouhaha over it only having a single save that can't be deleted, and that it was originally a side-game being sold now as a full game probably drove off a lot of people from buying it.

Bryan1321

Banned
Ken said:
Pick it up if:

You enjoyed Mercenaries in RE4 or RE5.

I really enjoyed it, but with the wii controls, i dont play with standard controllers since Re4 GC, and it was harder

Will i have the same fun?

Thas my only gripe with buying it

Ken

Bryan1321 said:
I really enjoyed it, but with the wii controls, i dont play with standard controllers since Re4 GC, and it was harder

Will i have the same fun?

Thas my only gripe with buying it

I didn't play RE4 on the Wii but with the GameCube controller, but it's been so long since then that I can't really compare the controls on the 3DS to it. I can say that the 3DS controls are fine and I don't have too much problems with it.

olimpia84

Got this on the Best Buy sale and I'm actually liking it despite the relative low enemy count and slow framerate at times. It's actually fun but hard to explain why. I'm in chapter 4 right now and the difficulty seems to be picking up.

Played online with a few randoms but it's very hard to get connected...is it a problem on my end or the netcode just sucks?

idwl

Like the game so far. SS is the highest rank right? This makes me want RE4 ported on it so bad. Its been ported to pretty much everything else just add 3ds

Took advantage of when this was $20 at Best Buy and used a reward zone cert., so it was practically free.

I'm liking it, but stuck on 2-2 I think where you have to wander around and kill off a bunch of enemies. Keep running out of ammo.

And how do you use med. herbs?

Ken

TheyTookOurJobs said:
Took advantage of when this was $20 at Best Buy and used a reward zone cert., so it was practically free.

I'm liking it, but stuck on 2-2 I think where you have to wander around and kill off a bunch of enemies. Keep running out of ammo.

Herb pickups automatically convert to First Aid Spray in this game. There's a dedicated button for applying first aid spray but I can't remember it at the moment. You can also just tap the First Aid Spray icon on the touch screen.

MooMoo

TheyTookOurJobs said:

Tap the herb icon on the touch screen. Not really sure how you're running out of ammo, but try shooting an enemy once (preferably on the foot) to stagger them and then run up and perform a melee. I think the enemies on all the 2-X levels are still weak enough to die from a one shot+melee combo.

And holy crap, I didn't know there was a button combo for herbs. I think it's right trigger + A.

Ken

MooMoo said:
And holy crap, I didn't know there was a button combo for herbs. I think it's right trigger + A.

I'm pretty sure it's just A, looking at my 3DS.

Starting up Mercs to check for sure.

Edit: Yeah, it's just A.

As for ammo, do what MooMoo says and stun enemies with a shot and get up close for a melee kill. You'll get a small time bonus which can mean a higher final score.

MooMoo

Ah cool. I guess I'm just too used to my herb touch screen mashing of doom to have ever noticed a button for it.

Off topic, but are you hyped for the possible RE6 announcement tomorrow Ken? :p

Top Bottom