• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Zero seems like it's getting the HD treatment

Tomodachi

On a different subject, I don't think people understand what they're asking for when they request a RE2 remake. I mean really, who is going to remake it? One of the RE6 teams? You trust those guys to remake RE2? And do you think they'd design it as an old school RE or are they more likely to simplify the puzzles, throw the camera behind Leon/Claire and turn it into a generic shooter?
Of course the old school RE (which for context I loved to bits: I was disappointed even by RE4 when it came out because it was too action-y and not scary at all) is dead and buried and is not coming back.
Still, at this point I wouldn't mind getting a RE2 retelling in the form of a RE4-esque game. What I hate from the new REs is the whole bioterrorism angle, ridiculous BOWs appearing at every corner and the focus on the BSAA. I mean, it all started with local, focused virus outbreaks and that was the real charme of the series if you ask me. Remote locations hiding hi-tech labs, that's what RE should have always been all about, not huge cities in panic and world wide outbreaks in a dystopic society. That's basically sci-fi, but for me RE was about horror first and foremost.
So yeah, at this point I'd get anything over a RE7 in Bratislava, Beijing or who knows where plus super soldiers, let's just go back to Raccoon City with the new gameplay and be done with it.

Sadist

Zero is cool.

Storywise it created more questions than answers, but man the train sertting at first is amazing. After leaving that you get the more traditional RE experience. The partner zapping mechanic isn't used to it's fullest, but there are a few puzzles that make good use of it.

Bergerac

I recently replayed Resident Evil Zero and it was definitely a polarising game for me internally. It just didn't have the pizazz or the polish that REmake had and replaying REmake recently with the HD Remaster only confirmed this for me.

What I did appreciate, however, and I acknowledge many did not - was that the enemies in this game were much more organic than in previous games. Almost every enemy in the game is just an animal. I really appreciated the simplicity.

I hated the story and the leeches and the singing and shit though. That was just horrendous.

would buy it anyway

That's the only one thing I hate about it actually. It's just incredibly unimaginative.

The massive Scorpion just suddenly appearing on a train? Was it in the woods? It just shows up with no foreplay. There's no mention of it being used as an experimental subject later on like the others either. Plus gameplay wise, that it's crammed into the train car for the fight removes any interest to the fight. All it can do is walk towards you until you shoot it in the face and then it stumbles back. You can easily face it without threat of being hit.

The centipede fight is also pretty awful and its behaviour of grabbing Rebecca and circling the room until you kill it is just bad design.

The bat is 'thematically' cool for being in a church and looks decent but it's the one example of the old aiming scheme in old style REs just not being up to scratch.

The only ones I can stand are the menial enemies. I love the monkeys and the way they're introduced, and I don't mind the locust enemies either. The toad enemy is at best funny but appears only once and he gets a Magnum bullet from me every time because of his kill grab.

In REmake, I felt like Neptune and the Cerberus dogs made sense, and even if the spiders and Plant 42 made less sense, they're not so bad.

Still nothing's as bad as Outbreak 2. I mean - I haven't played it for this reason - isn't there a whole zoo thing going on with an undead elephant etc? I looked at the back of the box many years ago and I recall I saw a giant undead flea enemy and I swiftly put it back down.

I think boss wise RE0 is pretty lame, the only one I think is decent is the reject Tyrant you face twice. Other than that what disappointed me most was the lack of Crimson Heads when I first played it. I couldn't understand why such a major element didn't return, even if it had been in development for longer.

MetalSlug

This is great news. Zero isn't my favorite in the series but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

This gives me hope for an eventual Code Veronica HD. That one would be the best one to remaster in HD, since its environments are all full polygonal 3D, not pre-rendered. It wouldn't suffer from any of the (IMO, ugly) background filters that we've seen in REmake HD.

I was hoping for Code Veronica to arrive on Steam just after the release of RE4. I hope they do put it on Steam this year.

For RE0, it never managed to hold my interest. IF it does get an update like REmake then I'll try my best to play through it fully.

RE0 is easily the worst of the traditional Resi games tho. The removal of item boxes absolutely fucked up that game. The only good bit was the train.

Semajer

Good. It needs quick reload and online/local co-op. I also want the lower Leech Hunter rewards to be unlocked if you've accomplished a higher reward.

It's a good game, but with terrible antagonist and mostly lame enemies, but with good locations, and music.

I also want to know what they do with the panning wide-screen rooms.

Xpliskin

Zero is my favorite after remake and 4.

Atmosphere (training center) is unmatched.
Would post gifs but on phone.

I just skip the Marcus scenes and pretend they're not in the game

Ding-Ding

I wont say no to more classic style RE, even Zero.

RE4 for me was the end of the series as a survival horror and the start of an all out action game franchise. Such a damned shame

ShutEye

RE0 isn't terrible but the item management is so cumbersome it really hurts the game imo. And the story is redundant but RE went off the deep end in CV so it's not really that much worse.

I just wish the existing PC ports of RE2 & 3 would be updated for GOG / Steam as is.

Mr_Zombie

Can't be worse than Code Veronica

It has a really bad plot (as little as there is of it):
Basically the main characters are oblivious to what's really happening so their only objective is to move on from point A to point B not really knowing where are they heading. The main villain has no real motive and there's completely no relationship between protagonists and the villain - they literally meet him ten minutes before the game ends and one minute before he mutates into a giant leech; even files that you find aren't that interesting. RECV, RE5 and RE6 might have cheesy/stupid stories, but at least they have characters that you can care about, villains that you might hate and a lot of cheese factor to entertain you. Zero has none of that.
. And the lack of item crates results in running back and forth to collect items you left *somewhere*. Also, all bosses are just giant mutated insects/animals.

It's not a bad game per se, but it's my least favorite main RE game.

Still, I would be happy if CAPCOM release a remastered version for PC. And while we're at it, where's my RECV HD PC, CAPCOM?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The problem with RE0 is the same problem newer RE's has, forced partners
The game is great otherwise, but I think this is just a miss use of the RE0 icon and means nothing.

mejin

Capcom did an amazing job with Re Remake, it was so good that I think people created a big hype for Zero. Problem is hype was not justified, but It's a good game. Maybe if Capcom launched first Zero would be better.

Anyway, I finished the game but I don't remember almost anything. I'd dig it again.

JayEH

Do people not realize that RE2make isn't going to happen? You're asking for a remake which is just what it sounds like a meaning they'd have to re do everything. They're redoing REmake and 0 because they're remastering them not remaking them. It's a quick and easy way for Capcom make money. They're not going to devote (AAA) resources to make a new version of RE2.

Jawmuncher

Just wanted to say that Zero is a fun entry. Really like the fake coop play it has. If there was ever a game with "the feel" of something it doesn't have its zero.

Zero looked nice but it feels so wrong, it's also a stupid story tackled on to the series. Dumb things like the train at the speed they are going would make their helecopter landing multiple miles away from the mansion, which was not the case originally.

Don't get me started on rebecca going from a trooper in zero to a rookie first aider in RE1.

Neff

RE0 is the grand master challenge of the classic series imo, and it's underrated for this reason. The story, characters and setting (apart from the amazing train) may be lame, but behind that is a brilliantly-designed adventure, and managing your inventory and coordinating your characters for optimum time/economy is a satisfying pleasure.

Not as good as the best in the classic series, or maybe not even the middling ones, but a solid game nonetheless. And it's better than RE3. I'll definitely be buying it, particularly if it receives the level of restoration the remake did.

Nemesis_

That's the only one thing I hate about it actually. It's just incredibly unimaginative.

The massive Scorpion just suddenly appearing on a train? Was it in the woods? It just shows up with no foreplay. There's no mention of it being used as an experimental subject later on like the others either. Plus gameplay wise, that it's crammed into the train car for the fight removes any interest to the fight. All it can do is walk towards you until you shoot it in the face and then it stumbles back. You can easily face it without threat of being hit.

I think the official description for it was that it was an experiment (along with the spiders) that Marcus was working on but swiftly abandoned for reasons unknown, only to somehow resurface in the forest. I agree that it's incredibly flakey and the boss battle wasn't that exciting either.

The centipede fight is also pretty awful and its behaviour of grabbing Rebecca and circling the room until you kill it is just bad design.

Yeah, just felt like a shitty version of the Yawn battle. Which is what my whole point is about Zero - that everything it does is really overdone throughout the series. I don't recall ever actually dying during the centurion battle. I just feel like most of the enemies in Zero were just not living up to their potential.

The bat is 'thematically' cool for being in a church and looks decent but it's the one example of the old aiming scheme in old style REs just not being up to scratch.

Yes! Playing through Remake HD once more right now, I'm starting to begin to learn the nuances and appreciate the boss battles. There are reliable ways to beat Neptune and Plant 42 without taking any damage. In Zero, the battles like the Bat one, are pretty fucking hard to do so. Sometimes you just have to spray and pray with the bat and if you're too close to death already it just becomes a nightmare and sometimes warrants a restart.

That being said I feel like the Church was pretty underutilised as a setting too.

The only ones I can stand are the menial enemies. I love the monkeys and the way they're introduced, and I don't mind the locust enemies either. The toad enemy is at best funny but appears only once and he gets a Magnum bullet from me every time because of his kill grab.

The Eliminators were easily the most annoying enemy in the entire game for me. Once again I just found them so unpredictable and hard to avoid whenever doing a speed run or some other kind of constrained run of the game. They could so easily overwhelm you too.

I still love the Lurkers though. I never saw them as being funny I thought they were pretty fucking terrifying but once again rather underutilised. Seeing them move through the water so quickly scared me a little bit, but that was only ever in cinematics so that never really translated to the actual gameplay.

As for the grasshoppers / plague crawlers, they were pretty harmless. I remember reading a file in the game or something saying that they developed them but then realised they were shit weapons so discarded them to be destroyed, but some escaped and subsequently breeded.

I'm pretty happy with their design though, even if they are the least threatening enemy in the game. The concept art for what these enemies could've been was pretty shit and I'm glad they went a more organic route: -

PZgyQuF.jpg

Yeesh.

In REmake, I felt like Neptune and the Cerberus dogs made sense, and even if the spiders and Plant 42 made less sense, they're not so bad.

I honestly felt like Plant 42 even made sense, as did the spiders given their proximity to the events taking place in Zero and the labs in the first game. I also like how Plant 42 was obviously built upon to create the Ivy enemies in RE2.

Still nothing's as bad as Outbreak 2. I mean - I haven't played it for this reason - isn't there a whole zoo thing going on with an undead elephant etc? I looked at the back of the box many years ago and I recall I saw a giant undead flea enemy and I swiftly put it back down.

Honestly I wouldn't let it get to you, the Outbreak games are great fun. I felt like that made sense - if the virus got into a Zoo wouldn't it be expected to see such things happen? They already touched upon the idea of fleas and other animals like mosquitoes sucking on the blood of infected with Resident Evil 3.

Capcom even played around with the ideas of Ticks in Resident Evil 1, where they replaced the hunters in the underground area exclusively in the Sega Saturn version of the game: -

3BArqof.jpg

But yeah don't let that put you off, Outbreak 2 is still a great game.

I think boss wise RE0 is pretty lame, the only one I think is decent is the reject Tyrant you face twice. Other than that what disappointed me most was the lack of Crimson Heads when I first played it. I couldn't understand why such a major element didn't return, even if it had been in development for longer.

Yeah both Crimson Heads and Defense Items were great ideas I wish we'd seen in other games somehow. As for the prototype tyrant, another cool idea that I love.

But Umbrella needs to learn to dispose of it's shit properly, half the shit from Zero wouldn't even exist if they just did their jobs >_>

RE0 started off ok, tailed off towards the middle, and less said about the end, the better. But besides from that, it was alright. It highlighted all that was dated about the control scheme and gameplay, but made it 10 times worse by placing you in situations that exacerbated said issues.

The co-op feature was a fresh idea, but in practical terms, it just meant more busy work and served as padding for an already short game. That said, the visuals were gorgeous, but even there I don't think they utilized the engine as well as REmake did. Bottom line, it was an ok game that yeah, I'll probably play through again. It was full of good ideas, new monsters and locales that were unfortunately executed poorly. Rest assured, I'd rather play RE0 than any of the games post RE4.

They're probably remastering Zero because it's basically the same tech as the REmake. Way less effort than doing a complete overhaul of 2/3 (which I'd welcome, too).

It's also not really available on anything outside the GameCube.

Platy

People saying resident 2 would be incredibly work forget that they already remade half of the game backgrounds for RE Umbrela Chronicles

Astral Dog

It would not be a true Resident Evil 2 REmake without Kamiya anyways
They would need to kidnap and force him to make the game.

I love that stuff in RE. If you're going to go over the top and shit all over a story, go big or go home.

How about not going over the top and shitting all over the story?
They're probably remastering Zero because it's basically the same tech as the REmake. Way less effort than doing a complete overhaul of 2/3 (which I'd welcome, too).

It's also not really available on anything outside the GameCube.

Resident Evil Archives: RE0 on Wii/BC on Wii U

Mr_Zombie

People saying resident 2 would be incredibly work forget that they already remade half of the game backgrounds for RE UmbrelaDarkside Chronicles

fix'd ;)

And I really doubt polygonal levels (objects and textures) made for a Wii game would look good in a new game released on PS4/Xbox One. People are already freaking out with Revelations 2 graphics - a budget cross-gen game.

Also, that would still require more work than REmaster or RE0 HD.

Toth

What I never got is
why the need to make a villain....made of leeches...wearing a Japanese robe....It gave interesting backstory to Wesker and Berkin but the bad guy should have just died and not become some consciousness directing leeches to do his bidding.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Man, this game.

When they got rid of the item boxes they activated my OCD. It was supposed to be natural that you could just drop stuff in a room and it stayed there...

...but what it led to was me dropping my inventory, obsessively backtracking to sweep up all the herbs and bullets and shit I was afraid of leaving behind, and then oh-so-slowly slowly moving forward in this horrible inventory leapfrog maneuver. It was a Resident Evil game! My assumption was that there wasn't going to be "enough" of these items and I needed every one!

It only got worse when I discovered each room had a cap to how many items it could hold...

liquidtmd

Banned
What I never got is
why the need to make a villain....made of leeches...wearing a Japanese robe....It gave interesting backstory to Wesker and Berkin but the bad guy should have just died and not become some consciousness directing leeches to do his bidding.

He does what in the what now?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I like Zero a lot. I do not like Capcom's hack-job for REmake, with the smeared backgrounds and such. So... I guess I'm kinda ambivalent about this.

Eurocult

I'll definitely pick this up. Wouldn't even mind if they added an option to use a traditional inventory system. The last of the 'classic' RE games.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I like Zero a lot. I do not like Capcom's hack-job for REmake, with the smeared backgrounds and such. So... I guess I'm kinda ambivalent about this.

I was skeptical when I heard about the upscaling (do they not have the original scene files?!?) but it looks good.

The analog stick control is not the best implementation I've ever seen. There's a tricky design area there where you have to account for the player continuously holding the stick when the camera angle changes, and smooth the transition into the new movement perspective when the stick is moved.

REREmake has the Silent Hill 3 type of early, rough implementation which leads to a lot of unintentionally doubling back into the previous camera angle. It may be that the camera angles themselves challenge this because they were not laid out for this type of control.

So if analog control was a selling point for people, I'm not sure I'd recommend either HD1 or HD 0 based on that. It's too bad because it lessens the chance of new players playing through the things.

Top Bottom