• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Zero seems like it's getting the HD treatment

Astral Dog

RE5 Wesker was campy and theatrical, but his motives were still in line with his character as defined in the (poorly translated) first game and REmake. His personality changed, which you could possibly explain as a result of his biological change, but his philosophy and agenda remained consistent.

He basically thinks that humans are lesser beings in the grand scheme of things and deserve to be usurped by 'superior' lifeforms, hence him falling in love with Tyrant, chasing Alexia to the Antarctic, sending Ada after the Plagas, and creating Uroboros.
I thought something was off about Wesker on RE 5, and not just his personality, the game doesn't do anything about the Umbrella revival hinted at the end of 4 , it appears Wesker was building something else, then he learns about his origins and takes the plan of Spencer instead.

DYLANH24

Neo Member
Since then Capcom has replaced the image. This was the original showing the biohazard 0 logo:

biohd_sp.jpg

Well I'm an asshole apparently, couldn't see that close in the op image.

cerulily

Will probably buy RE:0 again. But that game has so much pointless busy work because of the box removal... i don't know i want to again :S

MokocchiBro

Neo Member
It might be because I've been away from RE for some years now but I recently picked up Zero and am enjoying it quite a bit. Wouldn't mind seeing a HD treatment.

The part with the motto broadcast and the closeup of the portrait is really good. It gave a great feel of how insular and weird Umbrella was.

Yah. It was powerful enough, we didn't need the young Marcus character to spew exposition we don't need.

It's the RE with the most wasted potential I think.

The only thing that bothers me about this HD treatment is that the characters switching mechanic doesn't jive with your traditional pad in comparison to the GC.

Neff

Yah. It was powerful enough, we didn't need the young Marcus character to spew exposition we don't need.

It's the RE with the most wasted potential I think.

I still like the game a lot, I think it's an underrated piece of the series. Some of the environment/puzzle design is legitimately brilliant and classically Resident Evil. The only things letting it down imo are some lame enemies (giant bats and monkeys? ffs) and, yes, young Marcus.

The train section will always grant it a life pass anyway. It's that good. It is to RE what Midgar is to JRPGs.

Christopher

Shit game started good but ended like ass.

I wanted to run though the mansion as Rebecca and find out what happened to her after.

0 literally added nothing to the story and just complicated things more

The train section will always grant it a life pass anyway. It's that good. It is to RE what Midgar is to JRPGs.

I was pretty disappointed with the train section tbh. The visuals were great, but the level and game design around it? Eh not so much. I did like the climax to that part a lot though.

But if the train is the best part of the game then I'm not to upset that I never finished my playthrough of it.

Nemesis_

Shit game started good but ended like ass.

I wanted to run though the mansion as Rebecca and find out what happened to her after.

0 literally added nothing to the story and just complicated things more

Has there ever been any official explanation as to why Rebecca is so clueless in Resident Evil 1 following the events of Zero? There's the simple explanatiion of course, but I don't think it's ever been addressed in the games.

I'd love if they somehow restored some content that showed us Rebecca's side of Resident Evil 1. Of course nothing like that will ever happen, but I can dream ._.

I was pretty disappointed with the train section tbh. The visuals were great, but the level and game design around it? Eh not so much. I did like the climax to that part a lot though.

But if the train is the best part of the game then I'm not to upset that I never finished my playthrough of it.

I preferred the laboratory segments but they're always my favourite in the games so perhaps I'm just biased. The mansion was great in terms of design and atmosphere too. The music was really well done.

Neff

I'm pretty sure I had a dream about finding a deserted train in a forest once, and it was great/creepy, so RE0's opening scenario carries a lot of weight with me. I also like the claustrophobia and stillness, which gives way to motion once the train resumes its journey. The way all the rooms you previously wandered through suddenly spring to life with all manner of subtle movements and detail is really something.

added nothing to the story and just complicated things more

Welcome to Resident Evil ;P

Jawmuncher

I really liked Zero just because of the changes to the formula it offered with the two character control. Plus it's the closest to a mainline game with a outbreak style because of it (especially the dropping items). Plus not having to burn zombies and the scares of the leech man were great. Really the only thing I absolutely disliked was the main villain design. Opera singing for the slugs and the look you see the majority of the game was just off for a RE games and we know how crazy they get.

News Bot

Banned
Has there ever been any official explanation as to why Rebecca is so clueless in Resident Evil 1 following the events of Zero? There's the simple explanatiion of course, but I don't think it's ever been addressed in the games.

It's simple really, she's not clueless. BIO1 has no canon visible in the game and most of her scenes are entirely optional, such as a scene where she explains what Umbrella is to Chris (the player) even though Umbrella was the main financial contributor to S.T.A.R.S. and Chris worked in the unit for two years by that point. The rest is down to different VA and cutscene direction.

ArcLyte

I sure as hell hope not, Zero was the game that made me realize Resident Evil had jumped the shark and the name was dead to me until 4.

Zero being remastered before 2 and 3 is insane.

Hope you know the reason it's not 2/3/CV is that they'd need to rebuild each from the ground up. 1 & 0 just need a fresh coat of paint slapped on.

It would be ludicrous to think that Capcpom would put the effort into remaking the games that people really want to play.

what are the chances of 2 and 3 getting a remake like RE 1? i know back in early 2000 (around 2001) i believe that original plan was to remake all 3 games for gamecube and 0 was cancelled for n64 and ported to GC. But after 0 came out capcom ditched the idea for 2 and 3 remake and released 4.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/09/13/shocker-resident-evil-series-leaves-playstation-2

That article from 2001. So i guess remake for 2,3,CVX was canceled completely?

Capcom's purse strings seem way too tight for these days for the financial investment required for a full on RE2 and 3 remake.

Capcom's purse strings seem way too tight for these days for the financial investment required for a full on RE2 and 3 remake.

I think if REmake (and potentially Zero) do very well we might see them consider it now.
Yeah it is technically a lot of work and money but its still alot cheaper and faster than a full new Resident Evil(which is one of Capcom's biggest money makers).

I know the REmasters aren't the same as what 2&3 need, but Capcom seeing REmake and Zero do extremely well would show that there is a big market for them and there were other factors that hindered REmake and Zero originally from being more successful.

I preferred the laboratory segments but they're always my favourite in the games so perhaps I'm just biased. The mansion was great in terms of design and atmosphere too. The music was really well done.

The lab sections are typically never my favorite parts in the RE games; I find the areas that seem more 'normal' to every day life (a mansion, a police station, etc) more creepy than some super secret lab. I still like them a lot, but the main settings intrigue me more.

The music was pretty good from what I heard, particularly the save room theme.

I'm pretty sure I had a dream about finding a deserted train in a forest once, and it was great/creepy, so RE0's opening scenario carries a lot of weight with me. I also like the claustrophobia and stillness, which gives way to motion once the train resumes its journey. The way all the rooms you previously wandered through suddenly spring to life with all manner of subtle movements and detail is really something.

Fair enough. I really did like all the little details in the animated backgrounds once the train started moving, they were beautiful.

KyleCross

I must be a blind idiot, but where's the RE0 icon in the theme image this whole thread is about? I can't find it. I just see REmakes icon.

The only thing I can remotely see like that is the PS4's notification icon next to the PS Store Icon kinda looks like the 0 with the stripe through it, but as said that's the notification icon.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I must be a blind idiot, but where's the RE0 icon in the theme image this whole thread is about? I can't find it. I just see REmakes icon.

The image was removed from the site after this whole thing, the original image is here:

rezero-noscale.jpg

Can see what appears to be the biohazard zero logo with the slash through it that Zero's logo does:

biohazard_0_28.12.14_00.jpg

As well as what appears to be Rebecca and Billy (though blury to tell) in the Chris/Jill theme pic. Capcom since replaced the image with one lacking it, though, but the image was saved.

KyleCross

The image was removed from the site after this whole thing, the original image is here:

rezero-noscale.jpg

Can see what appears to be the biohazard zero logo with the slash through it that Zero's logo does:

biohazard_0_28.12.14_00.jpg

As well as what appears to be Rebecca and Billy (though blury to tell) in the Chris/Jill theme pic. Capcom since replaced the image with one lacking it, though, but the image was saved.
Nice. Be cool if this was added to the OP.

Astral Dog

Billy doesnt need to be back, they will ruin him in a way, why dont we get new characters not related to the original cast? would that be too risky?

Mr_Zombie

But we're constantly getting new characters: just in previous three games (RE5, RE6, Rev) we got: Sheva, Josh, Helena, Piers, [Jake - although he is son of Wesker, so that doesn't count], Jessica, Parker, Clive, Keith, Quint and Raymond. The problem is, they are used once and then thrown away, never to be seen again.

Astral Dog

But we're constantly getting new characters: just in previous three games (RE5, RE6, Rev) we got: Sheva, Josh, Helena, Piers, [Jake - although he is son of Wesker, so that doesn't count], Jessica, Parker, Clive, Keith, Quint and Raymond. The problem is, they are used once and then thrown away, never to be seen again.

Thats true, but Billy is not different from those characters, what we need are new characters that stay, or are the protagonists of their own game, somewhere to start a mostly new cast, without making Chris drunk.

Because, im not sure why we are still seeing some old faces, when their story is over, with Billy, for example, i doubt Capcom ever planned to bring him back.

It will be interesting how they do Barry Burton and his daughter.

Mr_Zombie

Back when RE6 was announced I think everyone thought that this is why Capcom introduced Piers in RE6 - to finally replace Chris. But it ended as usual.
At least there's Sherry and Jake - new generation to replace the old one.

Well hopefully they didn't trash all their hi res data like they did with ReMake.

Sorry, but sharpening filter does not make an HD remaster.

Traditional REs from best to worst imo:

1. REmake
2. Code Veronica
3. RE1
3. RE2
4. RE3
5. RE0

Yet I'll still get RE0 HD Remaster day one. The worst classic RE is still a damn good game.

Hope they'll remaster Outbreak I&II next - never played them.

Top Bottom