• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Announced?

DeadGzuz said:
Well the media doesn't get together and get hive mind. R2 was a great FPS, one of the best this gen. It had some issue with story telling, but the action, graphics and level design were great.

For R3 they need to bring back the narrator and weapon wheel, but keep the epic scope, battles and bosses of R2.
No. Penis biting enemies=no. And "some issues" is No.

dalin80

Banned
highluxury said:
Again, no. Their fan-base at THAT time was a primary force contributing to the 'need' for change.

To be quite honest now that Im thinking about it... GAF wasnt much better either... I was lurking back in the day, but alot of people here were dissing and pissing on RFOM, adding alot of ridiculous feedback.

Seriously, it feels somewhat like GAF themselves forget to take part of the blame.

actually i think gaf was pretty much singing the same song, there were a lot of trolls back then in R:fom thread as it was around the height of bitterness between the console factions.

the gameplay changes that were put in for R2 were mainly those asked for on myres and gamefaqs who consist of just about the same type of fps jumping ADD fuckwits. although r2 does feel like it was made by devs who spent a bit too much time playing CoD4 while briefly skimming forum posts.

Resistance and killzone really should not be compared as they are on utterly different sides of the fps types. also dissing kz2 based on watching youtube vids should be a bannable offence.

the media will latch on to whatever they think will give them the most sales that month and r2 landed at the right time for them to get hyping, the same media also gave r1 a lot of flak purely as it was the current trend to slag off anything 'sony', the r2 reviews arent worth piss.

Jubs

I'm kind of hoping they insert some historical figures into R3, like Churchill or FDR. I nearly forgot R2 was set in the 40's-50's, with all the futuristic alien tech running around, and having historical figures present would be a good reminder to the timeline the universe is set in. How cool would it be to be commanded by Roosevelt (aided by stolen chimeran tech to help his ailment)? Or given a motivational speech by a young MLK Jr.?

PnCIa

Resistance 1 was big pile of meh imo, if this wouldn´t have been a PS3 exclusive in the early days when there was no alternative no one would have cared one bit about it. Never played 2, but i can´t imagine the game being even more mediocre. I´m sorry Resistance fans that i don´t like your game, but i wrote the same thing about R1 like 2 years ago and since then i tried to play through it multiple times but i just had to stop after 20 minutes. They need to do a lot to make R3 interesting, i want it to be good...another great shooter is always a good thing. But i don´t trust Insomniac.

dalin80 said:
actually i think gaf was pretty much singing the same song, there were a lot of trolls back then in R:fom thread as it was around the height of bitterness between the console factions.

the gameplay changes that were put in for R2 were mainly those asked for on myres and gamefaqs who consist of just about the same type of fps jumping ADD fuckwits. although r2 does feel like it was made by devs who spent a bit too much time playing CoD4 while briefly skimming forum posts.

Resistance and killzone really should not be compared as they are on utterly different sides of the fps types. also dissing kz2 based on watching youtube vids should be a bannable offence.

the media will latch on to whatever they think will give them the most sales that month and r2 landed at the right time for them to get hyping, the same media also gave r1 a lot of flak purely as it was the current trend to slag off anything 'sony', the r2 reviews arent worth piss.

As mentioned, RFOM just came out at the worst time of all, during the worst period in the PS3's life. But man at its core it was a fucking fantastic game. MP was so rich and addicting (still is).

A bit off-topic but man seeing your avatar makes me want to pull out RFOM again and continue playing the MP... :(

Good times... REALLY FUCKING good times. Sheesh.

.... if only there was a possibility to do an update with a R2 graphical overhaul on RFOM and I would be a f-ing happy guy.

Alas, Im a member of the trophy whore convent so I cant make myself drop my 'beliefs' and go back.

Jubs said:
I'm kind of hoping they insert some historical figures into R3, like Churchill or FDR. I nearly forgot R2 was set in the 40's-50's, with all the futuristic alien tech running around, and having historical figures present would be a good reminder to the timeline the universe is set in. How cool would it be to be commanded by Roosevelt (aided by stolen chimeran tech to help his ailment)? Or given a motivational speech by a young MLK Jr.?

Timeline is severely altered. WW2 didn't happen and certain figures didn't become what they did in real life. It would be cool if Martin Luther King was a soldier in Resistance though.

PnCIa

dalin80 said:
This probably isnt the thread for you then.
Well i still want a good Resistance 3 :)
But for me, Insomniac doesn´t have the track record to make something stellar. At least in terms of shooters.

PnCIa said:
Resistance 1 was big pile of meh imo, if this wouldn´t have been a PS3 exclusive in the early days when there was no alternative no one would have cared one bit about it.

Bullshit, i'm overwhelmingly a PC fps player and resistance 1 was like those classic shooters i know and love. It had nice visuals, insane guns and was really fucking hard. quality.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
highluxury said:
Again, no. Their fan-base at THAT time was a primary force contributing to the 'need' for change.

To be quite honest now that Im thinking about it... GAF wasnt much better either... I was lurking back in the day, but alot of people here were dissing and pissing on RFOM, adding alot of ridiculous feedback.

Seriously, it feels somewhat like GAF themselves forget to take part of the blame.

I disagree with this. Maybe certain people trolled it, but Gaf resistance nights used to be huge. It's considered a classic by most ps3 fans.

Digital-Hero said:
Timeline is severely altered. WW2 didn't happen and certain figures didn't become what they did in real life. It would be cool if Martin Luther King was a soldier in Resistance though.

You know, this was exactly what I was thinking... it was WW2 for god sake, why didnt Insomniac take some crazy shit like the americans, brits and nazis fighting along side to stop the chimeras.

You working together with Hitler, or seeing him like NPC.

Or even narrate that Churchill has gone into an alliance with Hitler.

I want Insomniac to give me THEIR depection of hitler. Make him a hero? important general of your squad? a commander at the main defence central? Give him a napoleon-esque stance with a cape and everything? Make a mission where you have to RESCUE him?

.... BUT Of course keep it to a minimum, without going overboard like making something like Stalin being a huge chimeran crab looking boss or some shit.

... but YES the involvement of important historical figures is SEVERELY lacking.

Time still hasnt run out, if Insomniac is creative enough they can make a twist of how Hitler/Churchill/JFK/lyndon is still alive and you somehow co-operate with him/them on fighting the chimeran forces.
Drop the alien bullshit Insomniac, please ;_;.

They should really exploit the history line overall.

msdstc said:
I disagree with this. Maybe certain people trolled it, but Gaf resistance nights used to be huge. It's considered a classic by most ps3 fans.

I know. I was part of them. (GAF Nights)

well... somewhat.

However I guess you may have missed a small (read:HUGE) amount of 'hate' feedback comments during the game informer reveal thread.

Gattsu25

Banned
Jax said:
then go play quake 2 again.

Killzone 2 is pretty fucking fantastic. So many visual set pieces and I had a ton of fun with it. Knifing helghast never gets boring.

from the R2 thread. :)
Wow that is an incredibly harsh revie--
situational weapon play. Oh, see a sniper gun? Better pick it up, You'll be using it NEXT.
This Fucking THIS.

Can't say I disagree with you on anything :(

Atrus

Gold Member
Jubs said:

They kind of fucked up the Resistance 2 storyline. The populations of Asia, Africa, South America, North America, and Continental Europe were lost. Australia was a human refuge but was wracked by civil war due to fighting for resources.

The entire human population on the planet at this point is likely < 30 million people, and therefore, there isn't much left of humanity for there to be significant historical figures unless they somehow conveniently avoided the genocide.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
BobsRevenge said:
R1 had pretty much the ugliest color scheme in any game ever. It seriously, was all brown. And there was no style to it. It was just brown.

R2's graphics had just the right amount of pop, so far as the colors go, imo.

This...

resistance-fall-of-man-20060831054952517_640w.jpg

over anything in R2

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jubs said:
That would be really cool. Provided the characters exist in that timeline.

PnCIa said:
Resistance 1 was big pile of meh imo, if this wouldn´t have been a PS3 exclusive in the early days when there was no alternative no one would have cared one bit about it. Never played 2, but i can´t imagine the game being even more mediocre. I´m sorry Resistance fans that i don´t like your game, but i wrote the same thing about R1 like 2 years ago and since then i tried to play through it multiple times but i just had to stop after 20 minutes. They need to do a lot to make R3 interesting, i want it to be good...another great shooter is always a good thing. But i don´t trust Insomniac.
I call bullshit on this.
It probably would have been an even bigger hit had it been multiplatform, R1 was a strong, solid shooter with atmosphere, awesome feeling weapons, and a well designed MP. It was certainly a better game than fucking Call of Duty 2 or Perfect Dark Zero.

Kittonwy

Banned
msdstc said:

We had 18-20 people in the party almost every night in the first year, it was crazy.
Indifferent2.gif

Big problem with R1 was just the general shitty textures everywhere. When you got semi close to anything it was clear it was pretty flat looking. R2 while improving the textures did it in such a poor way with bad blending of shitty muddy textures with hyper detailed ones which made it look so awkward. R1 was technically inferior, but was just more cohesive looking.

One of the things that really irked me with R2 was how pretty much the entire multiplayer looked like the same shitty old graphics from R1, just now with extra lighting. Really did we need the shitty maps and 80 players? I would have preferred to see the visual enhancements the SP got applied to the MP portion because the MP in R2 is god awful visually.

lupinko

All this talk about Thrillzone makes me want to go back to playing Thrillzone.

Thrillzone!!!

2m78e51.jpg

Insomniac, for part 3, stop listening to outside sources and just make the game you guys want to make, as it certainly showed in all your other games outside of R2.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
BattleMonkey said:
Big problem with R1 was just the general shitty textures everywhere. When you got semi close to anything it was clear it was pretty flat looking. R2 while improving the textures did it in such a poor way with bad blending of shitty muddy textures with hyper detailed ones which made it look so awkward. R1 was technically inferior, but was just more cohesive looking.

One of the things that really irked me with R2 was how pretty much the entire multiplayer looked like the same shitty old graphics from R1, just now with extra lighting. Really did we need the shitty maps and 80 players? I would have preferred to see the visual enhancements the SP got applied to the MP portion because the MP in R2 is god awful visually.
Who gives a shit that its god awful graphically when you're fucking about with 59 other dudes? The huge multiplayer matches were completely out of control and completely awesome for it. Plus all the aim assists meant I didn't have to feel frustrated nearly every time I try to kill someone. I like that.

The smaller matches in R2 were never as fun as the huge ones.

BobsRevenge said:
Who gives a shit that its god awful graphically when you're fucking about with 59 other dudes? The huge multiplayer matches were completely out of control and completely awesome for it. Plus all the aim assists meant I didn't have to feel frustrated nearly every time I try to kill someone. I like that.

The smaller matches in R2 were never as fun as the huge ones.

R2 80 player MP was one of the worst MP experiences I have played in several years.... outside of Punisher No Mercy demo.... but moving on.....

It was all completely and utterly pointless. You were spawned near a select few people, you never generally saw more than a handful of players on the screen at once. Even in 40 player R1 I would see more players in battle than in R2 due to how absolutely shitty the maps were in the sequel. You never felt at all like you were contributing to anything other than your own little tiny world of the big 80 player match.

Weapon balance was awful, the berserks were stupid shit that just gave a big advantage to the vet players who could one shot groups of players in one blast. Letting players select weapons at start just made it clear which weapons never got used.

There was pretty much no benefit to the 80 player matches. The whole teamwork aspect put forth by the devs was never seen, there was little to no communication in any public game, it was just awful.

Coop mode was only redeeming quality to come out of R2

BobsRevenge

BattleMonkey said:
R2 80 player MP was one of the worst MP experiences I have played in several years.... outside of Punisher No Mercy demo.... but moving on.....

It was all completely and utterly pointless. You were spawned near a select few people, you never generally saw more than a handful of players on the screen at once. Even in 40 player R1 I would see more players in battle than in R2 due to how absolutely shitty the maps were in the sequel. You never felt at all like you were contributing to anything other than your own little tiny world of the big 80 player match.

Weapon balance was awful, the berserks were stupid shit that just gave a big advantage to the vet players who could one shot groups of players in one blast. Letting players select weapons at start just made it clear which weapons never got used.

There was pretty much no benefit to the 80 player matches. The whole teamwork aspect put forth by the devs was never seen, there was little to no communication in any public game, it was just awful.

Coop mode was only redeeming quality to come out of R2
No.

The coop was awesome,

But no.

60 player matches were clusterfucks of awesome. They worked well because a lot of the time it was more like 2 squads on 2 squads, but when the shit came together and hit the fan, it was awesome. In the times inbetween there was always action going on, and the way everything shifted around was really cool. I'm definitely a big fan.

And I'm pretty sure that 60 was the player limit, not 80.

DigiMish

Yea, it was 60.

Multiplayer versus was allright - worse than R1 for sure. I think the biggest contributing factor to that was that the maps totally sucked - there was nothing as memorable as the Aircraft carrier or the bus yard in R1.

i-Lo

It's just that R1 and R2 both didn't have the gritty feel in terms of colour work as other shooters such as say KZ2.

To me it's high gloss monotonous (not to be confused with brown or grey colour overall) primary colour palette seems much more befitting in a Ratchet and Clank title.

I am with other members here as I enjoyed the first one far more than R2.

One of the prime reason for dislike is that how obvious they made their scenarios with weapon selections that were perfectly paired for the enemy type.

Personally, I liked the intended story but the method of delivery was poor.

Of course in all this hate, I still concede that to me, there were more atmospheric moments in R2 than R1 with radio chatter, dead bodies in houses, ships floating over-head.

BobsRevenge

DigiMish said:
Yea, it was 60.

Multiplayer versus was allright - worse than R1 for sure. I think the biggest contributing factor to that was that the maps totally sucked - there was nothing as memorable as the Aircraft carrier or the bus yard in R1.
I didn't like R1's multiplayer that much, personally.

Probably because I sucked at it... :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Kittonwy said:
We had 18-20 people in the party almost every night in the first year, it was crazy.
Indifferent2.gif

I remember those games... I played a few times. We should get some Uncharted nights going:D. Nothing like an epic game of Breach in RFOM though.

like. has anyone at insomniac ever come out to comment on the google maps texture? i mean seriously. that shit is embarrassing and unacceptable. we deserve an apology for that.

DigiMish

fistfulofmetal said:
like. has anyone at insomniac ever come out to comment on the google maps texture? i mean seriously. that shit is embarrassing and unacceptable. we deserve an apology for that.

It was probably meant as a placeholder, but other priorities overtook that in the end.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
BattleMonkey said:
1st game was more cohesive graphic wise, R2 had better visuals for the most part but it was so disjointed in comparison.

I disagree still, there were a few aspects that were better, but overall the art direction and even the smoothness of the first one was definitely better.

KillerAJD

Kittonwy said:
No wonder you're not having a good time with the game, learn to flank, because unlike R2, Killzone 2's levels totally encourage the player to do that. R2 would have been alot more fun had the levels been bigger in terms of playable area that the player can use to find different ways to approach a firefight.
I don't think the PLAYABLE areas were much of a problem, size wise anyways. I mean, pretty much every major firefight took place in a wide open area. The problem was there was usually only ONE correct way of getting though it. You either had to go to "this" cover, or get slaughtered. More enemies coming at you? Move to "this" cover. I found that quite a big problem.

Other problems I have with it are it just wasn't as fun for me. Maybe I didn't like the big battles, idk. I think my biggest annoyance with the game was no campaign co-op. I know JStevenson and others said it wouldn't work with the campaign that they had built, but goddammit, I had an absolute BLAST playing the first Resistance with my uncle. We played from 12 noon one day until the ending credits at 9 the next morning. That was AWESOME, even if it didn't seem to fit the co-op style in a few places. Shit, they could have at least cut the few times where having two players was impossible (like CoD: WaW did). For R2, I played it at the same time with a friend over Skype. It just wasn't as much fun. I just hope they at least give us the option to play it co-op, especially when they game us nearly every other feature already. And WTF at no splitscreen? Complete bullshit (I'm pretty sure it didn't have it anyways, lol)

MrPliskin

Banned
Kittonwy said:
God forbid I'm here to tell you what's right and what's wrong because I can actually tell good gameplay from bad.
Indifferent2.gif

Killzone 2 actually has much better controls than R2 when you compare shooting from the hip or even aiming down the sights, you might have trouble with it, but people routinely execute headshots with the standard rifle from afar, compared to the R2 carbine where you can basically go scope and it's still fucking useless more than ten feet away, the problem with R2 is other than the sniper rifle and the marksman all the other weapons are extremely short-ranged, the whole weapon range and accuracy in R2 was just completely fucked up. And unlike Killzone 2, in R2 sprint doesn't feel like sprint.

In terms of boss fights, even a Killzone 2 mini-boss like the heavy is more interesting than fighting the stupid swarm in R2.
Indifferent2.gif

I'm not sure why suggesting better visuals is a bad thing, unless you like your games to look like crap, HDR lighting is pretty standard nowadays.

No, you apparently can't "tell good gameplay from bad". What you can do is tell everyone else what you think is perfect, and why anything different is "so terrible".

Killzone 2 had absolutely ridiculous input problems. The strange accelleration combined with the (slightly) corrected input lag made it feel terrible. Combine that with the "weight" of the game and it ends up feeling like you're controlling a tank, not a soldier.

The reason Killzone 2's sprint feels like a "sprint" is because the normal walk feels like a freaking crawl.

I can tell you that R2 was a considerably different game during the Private Beta. A much MUCH better game. Iron Sights actually had considerable impact on accuracy, as did movement. Unfortunately, people like you complained because it wasn't "Resistance enough" and it was changed, ultimately for the worse. Fall damage was removed, which pretty much made all the elevation in the game absolutely pointless. Grenade throwing distance was perfect and felt "right" until people started asking for Grenades you could throw across the screen ala R1.

Basically, the people who "knew good gameplay" ruined what would have been, people just like you. Screaming for changes during the beta, and turned it into what we have today. So thank you for your "knowledge".

And for the record, the problem with you and "wanting a better game visually" is that you want it in all the wrong areas with no real knowledge. You just toss around buzz words and then say "oh well it's virtually standard now-a-days LOL!!! indifferent.jpg".

dalin80

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Killzone 2 had absolutely ridiculous input problems. The strange accelleration combined with the (slightly) corrected input lag made it feel terrible. Combine that with the "weight" of the game and it ends up feeling like you're controlling a tank, not a soldier.

The reason Killzone 2's sprint feels like a "sprint" is because the normal walk feels like a freaking crawl.

in your opnion perhaps, to me kz2 felt perfect for the its style.

r2's issues spread much further then the beta, simple design/gameplay decisions undid the game long before fine tuning controls.

KillerAJD said:
I don't think the PLAYABLE areas were much of a problem, size wise anyways. I mean, pretty much every major firefight took place in a wide open area. The problem was there was usually only ONE correct way of getting though it. You either had to go to "this" cover, or get slaughtered. More enemies coming at you? Move to "this" cover. I found that quite a big problem.
I hope you're talking about R2 here, if you're talking about KZ2, then I have to call bullshit on this. I've beaten it on Elite and there is absolutely more than one way of getting through just about any firefight, that's one of the reasons why the gunplay was so fucking satisfying. There's always another way to get through a level or section of the game, a vertical route, a shortcut, etc, the SP maps are designed like MP maps in this way. Which specific areas are you talking about?

ummo

Banned
ok, it' would be a AAA with no doubt, hype is on and whatever, but... i'll be waiting for anoher game on that year..

echdsqft.jpg

hyzawfau.jpg

I also cant wait to see what GG pulls out of its bag of tricks for Killzone 3.
With KZ2, I think GG were mainly concerned with proving to everyone they could make a good console fps, now that they've done so, I'd like to see them be a lot more ambitious with KZ3.
The AI and level layouts in KZ2 were awesome, but some of the scripting and pacing in their next game needs to be a bit more audacious. For instance, that train level in KZ2 looked phenomenal from a visual standpoint, but nothing exciting or surprising happens while you're on it, it's just another series of gunfights with a wind element. I want their next game to throw some surprises at me.

Massa

Welcome to GAF's thread #19 on why Resistance 2 sucks!

And back to Resistance 3, does anyone else find a NYC setting weird after the ending of Resistance 2?

Massa said:

And back to Resistance 3, does anyone else find a NYC setting weird after the ending of Resistance 2?

Why? New York was not talked about in R2. Also not all of the US was taken over by the Chimera yet.

We really have no idea what happened at end of R2 since it was so vague.

Also did anyone read the Resistance novel? I wanted to pick it up at some point, supposed to gap fill R1 to R2. The comic series was disappointing though.

fistfulofmetal said:
The only people that noticed that post on GAF. I would never have known it was a "Google Map texture", nor would I have cared, because I didn't take the time to stare down at the ground from thousands of feet in the air. In fact, I thought that part was pretty damn cool myself.

What would you have them do exactly? Model each individual square? Are you the same guys that complain about static images of the sky? Because Call of Duty has been doing that for years, and it looks horrible in every single level.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Massa said:

what i got for the ending of R2 is that
the whole Planet(if not North America) is fucked. Europe fell, probably Africa too. Chimera won. plus our boy got punched in the face by a bullet

~Devil Trigger~ said:
the whole Planet(if not North America) is fucked. Europe fell, probably Africa. Chimera won. plus our boy got punched in the face by a bullet
Dude...if Resistance 3 took place in Africa, it would be the most amazing thing ever. Teach the Resident Evil guys how to do things right...Chimeran elephants and tigers or something. Or just regular elephants and tigers. Think about it...mankinds last hope is buried deep underground in some African lab yadda yadda. Works perfectly, gives me an excuse to venture forth.

I really just want to fight elephants and tigers in some capacity, dammit. RE5 should have delivered.

How many zoos does New York have? :( :( :(

BobsRevenge

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Dude...if Resistance 3 took place in Africa, it would be the most amazing thing ever. Teach the Resident Evil guys how to do things right...Chimeran elephants and tigers or something. Or just regular elephants and tigers. Think about it...mankinds last hope is buried deep underground in some African lab yadda yadda. Works perfectly, gives me an excuse to venture forth.

I really just want to fight elephants and tigers in some capacity, dammit. RE5 should have delivered.

How many zoos does New York have? :( :( :(
Halo 3 already did Africa.

I hope it does Russia. You know, cloven and shit. It'd bring it back to the R1 international story instead of the more predictable R2 USA story.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
the whole Planet(if not North America) is fucked. Europe fell, probably Africa too. Chimera won. plus our boy got punched in the face by a bullet

Well from the coop missions and Retribution, it would seem the UK is still free from the Chimera for the most part and still fighting. Pockets of resistance also throughout Europe still in battle. Also in R2
All the Chimeran fleet pulled out of the US and went to Mexico.

Mets39

New York ? weird
i thought it would take place on new planet(s) since they revealed a third race that even chimera are afraid of ... i guess events will happen on earth

Top Bottom