• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3: Back to Soviet union? Give me your wish list.

konrad77

There have been several discussions why Resistance 1 was better than Resistance 2 and vice versa.

What should insomniac do with Resistance 3? Prequel, Sequel?

This is my wish list, what is yours?

1. Storytelling - Tell it from the same perspective as the first Resistance, IOW they don't really know what happened. Use the same narrator as in the first resistance, or equally good.

2. Move it to Soviet union where the chimera virus originated from. (I really want a Siberian level + Transiberian railroad (inside the train).

3. IMO the previous games lacked in atmosphere. Use snow (we know that insomniac can do snow), rain and thunder more often (did it even rain in previous games?)

4. Let us have more than 2 weapons.

5. Coop in story mode.

6. Polish it until it shines.

SiberiaXatanga1_Lrg.jpg
Its a cave in Siberia (already looks Chimeran)

JoJo13

Banned
-Focus less on scale, more on fun moment to moment encounters (this holds true for all three modes - co-op, competitive, and single player)

-better, more interesting boss battles (see: metroid)

-better map design for multiplayer...the maps were just big empty boxes in R2. don't worry about 60 player counts

-better graphics, better gunplay, better music, storyboard cutscenes with a narrator...

-Swaggle controls

1. pay for, beg for, suck dick for, the Uncharted 2 engine. Whatever they gotta do.
2. Get a good writer, a professional.
3. Design the levels more like the first game.
4. bring back the weapon wheel.
5. Make it gritty without falling back on military cliches(like resistance 2 did).
6. Bosses that aren't complete garbage(R2 again).

thuway said:
-Take as much tech from Guerilla, Santa Monica, and Naughty Dog as possible.
But 3rd party or shall I say second is limited by how much they could share. Sucker Punch said something about that I think.

Insomiac listen to the fans about what kind of single player campaign they want.

Fans want:

Co op online and offline single player
Weapons with more kick
Less sticky aim, it's ok if it has some but it's too much in R2.
Expand upon the Co op experience.
Weapon Wheel back.
More unique and unrealistic weapons like R1.

Maybe an actual Iron sight if it's possible with the weapons.

Snipes424

-Make the game take place on the moon!
ok maybe not this one
-Weapon wheel needs to come back
-Build upon the current co-op by having more random encounters
-Put co-op in single player so people will stop bitching
-put more emphasis and man power on single player

DrPirate

Banned
akachan ningen said:
1. pay for, beg for, suck dick for, the Uncharted 2 engine. Whatever they gotta do.
2. Get a good writer, a professional.
3. Design the levels more like the first game.
4. bring back the weapon wheel.
5. Make it gritty without falling back on military cliches(like resistance 2 did).
6. Bosses that aren't complete garbage(R2 again).

I agree 100% with everything you wrote here. Well done man.

Keep co-op seperated from the main story, and focus on making a story driven and very scripting singleplayer campaign that is actually interesting. If they do that, I would be more then happy.

Well another word for bosses is to make them less scripted more like an actual A.I boss.
I'm horrible with words... Let's see a dynamic boss.

Edit:

Other improvements:
Animation, Uncharted and Killzone really spoiled me.

Norml

konrad77 said:
There have been several discussions why Resistance 1 was better than Resistance 2 and vice versa.

What should insomniac do with Resistance 3? Prequel, Sequel?

This is my wish list, what is yours?

1. Storytelling - Tell it from the same perspective as the first Resistance, IOW they don't really know what happened. Use the same narrator as in the first resistance, or equally good.

2. Move it to Soviet union where the chimera virus originated from. (I really want a Siberian level + Transiberian railroad (inside the train).

3. IMO the previous games lacked in atmosphere. Use snow (we know that insomniac can do snow), rain and thunder more often (did it even rain in previous games?)

5. Coop in story mode.

6. Polish it until it shines.

Its a cave in Siberia (already looks Chimeran)

I didn't like the narrator, makes it seem boring with just a slide show.The atmosphere is a good idea.Lightning and rain is a must!!

What I want most is some great vehicles for co-op. Something like the one huge vehicle in UT3 where it holds people on each corner with a turret and shield would be awesome I think.

Improve the tech where the enemy doesn't aways show up at the same spots.

Better fire effects and character face models could be better also.

DrPirate

Banned
Brashnir said:
Stop making mediocre shooters and make a new IP instead.

I knew a stupid post like this would have crept in here eventually.

If you don't like the Resistance IP, just gtfo and stop wasting our time.

I still think Resistance Retribution showed the right way the series should go since it was better than R2. The resistance IP has alot to it, don't just discredit it if the games didn't click with you.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The Soviet Union didn't exist in the Resistance timeline. It was the Russian Empire. (But then again considering how good the writers of R2 were and the apparent disdain the devs had for Resistance 1 they probably forgot about the series' own history.)

My suggestion: write and develop the ending first. Don't give us another stupid, shitty cliffhanger. End the story once and for all. I don't care how you do it, just provide closure so that the main dev teams can move on to newer IPs and leave the B-teams with Resistance side-stories like the PSP game.

The aforementioned stupid, shitty cliffhanger left Insomniac with a completely open book to work from (compared to well-developed cliffhangers that inform viewers/players what is going to happen next) so they can do anything they want I guess. Just end the story - that's all I hope they do.

Brashnir said:
Stop making mediocre shooters and make a new IP instead.

After R2, I fully agree with this.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Don't bring the weapon wheel back.

Map weapons to the d-pad, but don't make each slot specific to a category of weapon like Uncharted or Gears. I like having a larger arsenal to choose from, but the weapon wheel is kinda a mess. Of course you could map in diagonal directions on the d-pad too, adding a possibility for more weapons.

I just don't wanna hold a button so I can select weapons.

We basically have already had this thread multiple times.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Resistance 3 :

• Bring back the weapon wheel.

• Have the story narrated again in the same way as it was done in RFoM.

• Concentrate more on the Chimerian architecture, and modelling in general, the modelling in R2 was a let down compared to RFoM, for example the big pods that you come across that are stuck in the ground that release bugs and infect people, at the top of them in RFoM they have what looks like 3d modelled chrome balls that look fantastic, I was eager to see what they looked like in R2, but sadly in R2 they we're just a flat texture of the image of the balls.

That really was shameful work by the model team seriously, and these kinds of short cuts can be seen all throughout R2, it was these little attentions to detail in RFoM that stunned me, like the translucent pipes in the underground where you could see the inner workings of them like a mechanical umbilical cord, stunning stuff, and being able to shoot the pipes on the back of the Chirmerian cooling units (their backpack) and see the pipe flap about with steam expelling from the unit, amazing, why the fuck did they take that out of R2 ?, come to think of it did they have a different modelling team working on R2 or what ?

Cesar

Banned
I hope they improve their lighting engine because, for me atleast, that was the main "flaw" R2 had graphicly. It could be a bright sunny day with a clear sky in R2 but inside a house with lots of windows it was still very dark, the lighting seemed very inconsistent.

And the bosses really need an improvement. They felt way too arcady in R2. They had a simple patern they would repeat wich made them a bit boring. Such thing works better in a Racthet game I guess but not in a "gritty" FPS. The bossfights need to be more organic, an epic encounter that doesn't repeat itself.

Ballistictiger said:
Well another word for bosses is to make them less scripted more like an actual A.I boss.
I'm horrible with words... Let's see a dynamic boss.

Edit:

Other improvements:
Animation, Uncharted and Killzone really spoiled me.

There is nothing wrong with the animation. Shoot an enemy with the Fareye in slow motion.

Bring back the snow as it looks incredible. I was admiring it yesterday.

Loudninja

idahoblue said:
Yeah, bring back the narrator. Focus a bit more on making the story cohesive. More open levels.

Ah seen people complain in R1, and they took it out for R2 now people want it back?

Bearillusion said:
There is nothing wrong with the animation. Shoot an enemy with the Fareye in slow motion.

Bring back the snow as it looks incredible. I was admiring it yesterday.
Yeah but I did say I was spoiled.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
First game had this, does Resistance 2 work like Killzone 2 where you have to keep picking and choosing what you're carrying? I hate that.

Yoboman

They will have to not only have a bullet-point list of features to exceed R2, but they're going to have to make them GOOD this time. No rushed out the door bullshit.

How?

By taking an extra year to make it right. NOBODY will complain, stop the yearly cycles Insomniac. Everybody knows you're efficient, but the flaws are beginning to show. A lot.

lowrider007

Dan said:
First game had this, does Resistance 2 work like Killzone 2 where you have to keep picking and choosing what you're carrying? I hate that.

Yes, and the weapon drops where just stupid in R2, here's a boss, oh here's a rocket launcher on the floor, lol, give us the ability to carry all the weapons but limit ammo drops instead, much better, then when you have boss encounters just have an ammo crate or two lying around.

SNOW

There must be SNOW in the game. The first game used it so well. I can't believe the second game took you to Iceland and there isn't even a single patch of snow. No snow, but a US flag instead. In freaking Iceland!!! What was the point of using Iceland in the game when it barely looked any different from northern California?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
lowrider007 said:
Yes, and the weapon drops where just stupid in R2, here's a boss, oh here's a rocket launcher on the floor, lol, give us the ability to carry all the weapons but limit ammo drops instead, much better, then when you have boss encounters just have an ammo crate or two lying around.
Yuck. I always figured I'd pick this up when it was cheaper, but maybe not.

M.Bluth

Make it more like R1, I couldn't continue R2 because of how terrible it was.

It hurts, because I had as much fun playing R1 as I had playing HL2 (which is a LOT)
But then Insomniac changed the formula 'cause a bunch of whiny bitches thought that Resistance should be more like CoD.

Binabik15

I never got around getting R2 after being totally hyped for it after R1 :/ So I don´t know how much of GAFs hate is justified but

-There was an early teaser/trailer for R1 that had Chimeras scurry over a car. That was awesome and creepy. More tension and horror please.

-More snow like R1 and snowstorms like MGS4.

-I liked the narrator. And I liked Hale as the silent hero.

-Weapon wheel was fun.

All this would work well with the setting in russia. Creepy caves with nowhere to hide, contrast between dark stone walls, drifting snow and ice and Chimeran tech, even fiercer protection by the Chimerans, hundreds of ways to create moments like the RE fridge zombies.

Topped of with a narrator it could be styled like a twisted story book, an urban legend about Cole´s final mission etc. Could be cool.

konrad77 said:

Let me rephrase this: The humans have never gone to Russia and fight chimeras there, have they? I mean we as player have never stepped IN Russia, right? The first game, we play in Europe and second game in US, if I'm correct but we have never witnessed the rise of chimera or how their base looks like in russia.

Oh and I haven't played Retribution (buying it real soon). That also takes place in Europe if I'm not mistaken. Does the player go to Russia in that game?

Whats the oh snap for?
He agrees, I guess. I do too, I don't think Insomniac are going to hit the level of the top shooters on the platform like Call of Duty and Killzone 2, and I'd like to see them try something different.

lowrider007

When making R3 think about Half-Life, don't try to be overambitious, like adding in million-foot monsters etc, that isn't what makes a game good, give us a good consistent story, make it feel like your on a journey, try to use the Half-life model, nothing in the Half-life series is particularly stunning to me but yet they are my favourite games and held in high regard by many, consistency, good story telling, good level design, nice environments, add that all up and you get greatness.

Yoboman

I've always disliked Resistance because it felt like a mesh of games loosely strung together rather than it's own beast. The first game felt like a mesh of Half Life and Call of Duty and Ratchet and Clank. The second, still unsure of where it was going, seemed to start taking cues from Halo 3 and Gears of War... It has it's own elements, but it's always felt like a mashup of other's concepts to me.

-viper-

Banned
Better sounds (like R1). Give the weapons a bit more weight (like R1). Weapon wheel (like R1). Better atmopshere (like R1 + and Retribution).

Basically... make the game more like R1.

And of course, better graphics.

-viper-

Banned
Yoboman said:
I've always disliked Resistance because it felt like a mesh of games loosely strung together rather than it's own beast. The first game felt like a mesh of Half Life and Call of Duty and Ratchet and Clank. The second, still unsure of where it was going, seemed to start taking cues from Halo 3 and Gears of War... It has it's own elements, but it's always felt like a mashup of other's concepts to me.
Resistance 1 felt nothing like HL and COD. It felt like Resistance. R2 felt more like a Halo/COD mashup.

Top Bottom