• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3: Back to Soviet union? Give me your wish list.

Let me play through the campaign online using the co-op classes.

Some filters on the server list.

A way to restrict online games to only above/below a certain rank.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
-viper- said:
Resistance 1 felt nothing like HL and COD. It felt like Resistance. R2 felt more like a Halo/COD mashup.

Dude, RFoM most definitely did have a Half-Life vibe to it, it's what made the game so good, they need to go back to that model for R3.

BatmanX

lowrider007 said:
Dude, RFoM most definitely did have a Half-Life vibe to it, it's what made the game so good, they need to go back to that model for R3.

I second that. One of the most convincing aspects of the first game was the atmosphere. Anyway an asian setting sounds good to me, there's plenty of gorgeous locations to go with it

bring back the weapon wheel. I admit I don't play a lot of shooter, but what other game give you variety of unique weapon at all time? other big name shooter like Halo, Gears, CoD and KZ don't have it. it felt really unique to me when I first play Resistance 1.

also, bring back the bleak and solitary atmosphere in R1. R2 is more depressing story wise. but the environment and atmosphere feels fake or made up. like an intricate film set, but you know it's not real. not as immersive as R1 imo.

for other possible addition. well, I guess weapon customization might be cool. like perhaps adding scope to bullseye, or maybe some accessories that give it different ability.

I have to admit, even though I like them both, R1 and R2 felt like a totally different game. if they want to take this trend and make R3 a totally different game too. well, I hope they're taking a Metroid like approach this time with emphasis on exploration, weapon upgrades to reach new areas etc.

Hale's certainly got the power to make the gameplay more unique this time.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Mmmm more snow/ice levels, get me in some fuckin ICE CAVES/tunnels with frozen Chimeras behind the ice, mix up the history a bit....... then have some spooky section where its not just predator dudes.

Some sort of Infestation MP mode, like zombies or something one dude starts out as a touch Chimera melee attacks only, infect other dude etc etc......... DO IT.

Norml

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Mmmm more snow/ice levels, get me in some fuckin ICE CAVES/tunnels with frozen Chimeras behind the ice, mix up the history a bit....... then have some spooky section where its not just predator dudes.

Some sort of Infestation MP mode, like zombies or something one dude starts out as a touch Chimera melee attacks only, infect other dude etc etc......... DO IT.

That actually sounds kinda neat.:D

I really didn't spend as much time as I should have with R2 - the first Resistance I played through dozens of times on co-op with my buddies, but there was just somthing about R2 that didn't grip me. Firstly, I liked the almost washed-out look that was present in R1, it gave the game a unique look that I felt was missing in R2. Secondly, I didn't feel that the weapons in R2 packed any punch, they felt weak and looked weak firing on huge bosses that barely have any reaction to the fact that you are shooting them. Thirdly, restricting the player to just 2 weapons was a really poor design choice when every goddamn FPS seems to restrict you to just a couple of weapons in favour of realism - fuck realism! Bring back the weapon wheel and give me a whole goddamn arsenal of firepower! Finally, bring back the glass effects!

konrad77

Binabik15 said:
-There was an early teaser/trailer for R1 that had Chimeras scurry over a car. That was awesome and creepy. More tension and horror please.
They did those parts really good in R1. Insomniac should make Resistance more creepy, maybe the player could get lost in a big blizzard.

jax (old)

Banned
  • bring back weapon wheel. Its one of the things that differentiated R1 from all the shlocky FPSes out there.

• fix the ugly graphics. why is R2 so ugly? Ask naughty dog for code/engine help.

• bring back vehicules.

• NARRATIVE NARRATIVE NARRATIVE. R2 was rubbish/inconsequential. jump between loactions. Pointless monster fights. /yawn

• R3 needs to establish a villian personality for the franchise. Gears 1's queen was greatly expanded upon in 2 and being the lead villian, she centers the campaign/story a lot. Generic Chimeran ABCDEFGH does not. There is sort of a main villian in 2 but the story/execution is so bad.

• WATER - think very carefully about how you guys design "water monster trap stages". Absolutely horrible in R2.

• Locations - people here are talking about asia but you know what? The franchise isn't about visiting locales... I thought R1 did it well but R2 did it extremely poorly. Chimeraned USA? Its like the LONELY PLANET guide to chimeran "countryX". Just make a story that makes sense and I don't care about the location. But you know what would be cool? Going back to R1's location (years later to see how its changed)... and maybe KOREA. That country is already so janked up crazy that a chimeran invasion there might be kind of interesing

• Don't let multiplayer focus fuck up the SP game To be honest, it might already be too late for me and this franchise. R2 was SUCH a clusterfuck that going in from the highs/joy of Resistance, I don't know if I care to play R3. So you might already have lost this consumer.

Goldrusher

- weapon wheel from R1
- regenerative health from R2
- 60fps

As for everything else, surprise me.

I liked the narrator and cut scenes in R1, but the whole game felt like you were playing a story, a big flashback perhaps. You knew you would win or survive.
In R2 on the other hand, there was no narrator, perhaps mankind wouldn't exist anymore at the end of the game. Henry Stillman's radio broadcasts were awesome for that.

"I'm gonna take a walk now."

PnCIa

-Make the weapons feel good for a change
-Graphics...where should i start. Just stop making it look like it uses prebaked lighting only. Resistance 1&2 look like they are on the techlevel of Half-Life 2, everything feels so static.
-polish, polish, polish...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Norml said:
That actually sounds kinda neat.:D

Mmmmmm played it at paintball the other week, one dudes The Terminator, he can get shot as much as people can but if he shoots you your on his side and you attack your old team but if they shoot you your out....... was fun till i shot shot in the neck from 2 meters away.... then it was fun again after 2 minutes.

Meant tough as well not touch :/

Norml

Jax said:
[*]fix the ugly graphics. why is R2 so ugly? Ask naughty dog for code/engine help.

[/LIST]

Its not. The lighting is all that holds it back some imo. Comparing to Killzone, R2 has better textures, way more things on screen,the water effects, models have more detail, and even the main gun is more detailed.

Thrakier

Style wise i's ugly. It has TOO MUCH color. It's like everyone was complaingn about next gen games looking brown and grey and I guess Insomniac thought, hey, we should be the ones that go all out with color. Sadly, that wasn't a good idea. With a different/better color scheme, I guess R2 would look pretty good, definitly better than the first one.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
to Insomniac , play RFOM and Resistance: Retribution , make R3 like that .

drop First Person view , Resistance 3 should be 3rd person shooter with Cover system ( Gears style ) , fact is PS3 lack Gears and PS3 owners need something like that ,also Killzone is PS3's main FPS series , no need for 2 FPSs from SCE.

and yeah return to RFOM and Resistance: Retribution atmosphere and style again and bring back Ratchet/RFOM's weapon wheel system for Clank sake .

jax (old)

Banned
Norml said:
Its not. The lighting is all that holds it back some imo. Comparing to Killzone, R2 has better textures, way more things on screen,the water effects, models have more detail, and even the main gun is more detailed.

it looks ugly. Google earth mapping? lolly colour trees - first genish house interiors (in the bayou stage + forest stage). Physics on the couches are also whack. you shoot a couch with a gun and it moves like its filled with air.

... the overall effect is one of unattractive messed up visuals.

after killzone2/gears/uncharted.. resistance 2 looks like a gen 1 ps3 title.

and its got some sort of janky fucked up visuals where you get pixellated blood/weapon fire effects. WTF is up with that? yuck -

944521_20081105_screen013.jpg

Norml

Jax said:
it looks ugly. Google earth mapping? lolly colour trees - first genish house interiors (in the bayou stage + forest stage). Physics on the couches are also whack. you shoot a couch with a gun and it moves like its filled with air.

... the overall effect is one of unattractive messed up visuals.

after killzone2/gears/uncharted.. resistance 2 looks like a gen 1 ps3 title.

and its got some sort of janky fucked up visuals where you get pixellated blood/weapon fire effects. WTF is up with that? yuck

Its supposed to be up real high. They should have just put clouds so you couldn't see because the detail you seem to expect is not happening.

The trees look great, far better than Uncharted.

I never noticed messed up effects and can barely see it in that still shot.Also, if you do notice it bad, its probably due to the fact it has tons of that going on, far more than the games you mentioned.

Totobeni said:
to Insomniac , play RFOM and Resistance: Retribution , make R3 like that .

drop First Person view , Resistance 3 should be 3rd person shooter with Cover system ( Gears style ) , fact is PS3 lack Gears and PS3 owners need something like that ,also Killzone is PS3's main FPS series , no need for 2 FPSs from SCE.

and yeah return to RFOM and Resistance: Retribution atmosphere and style again and bring back Ratchet/RFOM's weapon wheel system for Clank sake .
But we got Uncharted 2 coming up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ballistictiger said:
But we got Uncharted 2 coming up.

Uncharted is nothing like Gears (sci-fi , Alien VS Space marines + War + Big weapons ) , 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand plays like Gears but it's also not Space marines with Aliens and Big gunz , PS3 need it's Gears , and Insomniac can do it .

JB1981

Totobeni said:
Uncharted is nothing like Gears (sci-fi , Alien VS Space marines + War + Big weapons ) , 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand plays like Gears but it's also not Space marines with Aliens and Big gunz , PS3 need it's Gears , and Insomniac can do it .

Based on their past games, I really don't believe that that is true.

Actually seeing if the speculation after the ending of R2 is right
Russia is not that important. What IG could do is have the whole setting of a massive alien war with the humans caught in between the Chimera and this other race fighting. As sort of third party resistance siding with neither side of the conflict. Also from the first game Australia is the last hold out for mankind so tat can be played with. I would like to see the sense and scope of larger interstellar war with Earth now transported into it.

Yeah I agree with before R3 needs to go back with the Chimeran architecture from the first and to have the mystery of Chimera and Cloven be something the player has t think to, not splurged out randomly in the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
JB1981 said:
Based on their past games, I really don't believe that that is true.

I am not talking about sales , Insomniac is more in the 3rd person shooter world ( Ratchet ) than FPS games , so they can make Resistance Retribution/Gears style game on PS3 .

again , I am not talking about same level of Gear sales , just the gameplay even games like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand copy Gears gameplay to the bones , so why it will be hard for Insomniac to do that and add their own ideas ?

Continue the story, R2 had a cliff hanger
After Hale got shot, what the hell was that thing in the sky?
. Id love to see two alien races duke it out on our planet (AVP style). Make it play exactly like Retribution would on a console, and you have a huge win.

I hope Insomniac decides to take a year off of releasing a AAA game to give R3 the time it needs. Resistance is far too ambitious of a game to have quick turn-around times for sequels, and while a game a year worked for single-player focused platformers such as Ratchet, Resistance 2 was practically three games in one. Perhaps this is what they are planning to do since they opened up a second studio, they can release ratchet this year, some PSN games in 2010, and then R3 in 2011.

Binabik15

Funny enough I can´t really say why I loved the first one as much as I did. I normally don´t even like ego-shooters :lol

I don´t envy the guy who has to decide what people will like and what should go in the game.

Shurs

Insomniac attempted to please everyone with Resistance 2 and they seem to be in a "damned if you do, damed if you don't" position.

For example:

Two complaints about the first Resistance was the voice over slide show narrative took the player out of the game and that Hale never spoke. Insomniac listened to this criticism and gave Hale a voice plus used cut scenes rather than slide shows. In addition to this they added the radio shows to add to the narrative without taking you out of the gameplay.

People complained that the first Resistance only had local co-op. Insomniac listened and gave us 8 player online co-op with that dwarfed the length of a co-op campaign. They added value.

People complained that the first Resistance was too washed out and gray. Insomniac gives us levels with color.

People complained that the levels in the first Resistance were too similar in look. Insomniac gives us many different environments in Resistance 2.

Unfortunately, on GAF, there is never a right way for Insomniac to do things. When they change the game to make it more how one group wants it, another group pops up to complain.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hire Fersis.

Yeah i could be a good consultant or something like that, even design stuff.
I would even work for free :mad:

SaitoH

Shurs said:
Unfortunately, on GAF, there is never a right way for Insomniac to do things. When they change the game to make it more how one group wants it, another group pops up to complain.

Which, if I was to offer Insomniac advice, would be to say, "Don't listen to messageboards and make the game YOU want to make." You cannot please the internet, because we are a fickle bunch that ultimately don't know what we want.

Dubbedinenglish said:
Actually seeing if the speculation after the ending of R2 is right
Russia is not that important. What IG could do is have the whole setting of a massive alien war with the humans caught in between the Chimera and this other race fighting. As sort of third party resistance siding with neither side of the conflict. Also from the first game Australia is the last hold out for mankind so tat can be played with. I would like to see the sense and scope of larger interstellar war with Earth now transported into it.

Yeah I agree with before R3 needs to go back with the Chimeran architecture from the first and to have the mystery of Chimera and Cloven be something the player has t think to, not splurged out randomly in the game.

The only thing this thread proves is that nobody (except a few) actually played and completed R2's campaign.

I liked the ambitions and scenery in R2, but it became quite clear that IG doesn't have the means (capacity, design, time, budget) to capitalize on those ideas. R3 would be forced to use even bigger ambitions and scenery and we all know that wouldn't work (and there would be very few reusable assets, I guess).

And with the R2 ending, I got the distinct idea that they know it too. This series is finished, it was fun (as a sci-fi flick) while it lasted.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
- Call it Resistance 3: Fall of Chimera

- Bring back the weapon wheel, as mentioned earlier.

- Screw this "size does matter" mentality for online and make it more like R1's again, i.e. FUN

- More Hale, less crappy supporting characters. I dont even remember anyone's name other than Hale, and I've beaten it twice.

- Please have some worthwhile music in the game.

- No more insta-kills or unkillable enemies.

dalin80

Banned
Totobeni said:

no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.
no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.

womfalcs3

Banned
Insomniac should never have dropped the presentation of the first installation. Even if it were going to make it much better.

Resistance now has no identity. There's no continuity in the atmosphere or gameplay mechanics. It also showed that they may have rushed through the first one, released it, and didn't feel good about it. That's why they tried to go through to renovate the series.

I personally liked both games, but they failed at being consistent.

All the big franchises keep a lot of aspects of the game and presentation constant. It gives the player and consumer that identity they can associate to the series.

Oneself

VegaShinra said:
More like the first game and less like the sequel.

Exactly.

A story told more like the original, THE OLD HEALTH SYSTEM, no weapon number limitation, no enemy spawning out of nowhere, dodgeable bullets like in the original game, no fucking cheap AI etc. etc. etc.

Shurs

Oneself said:
Exactly.

A story told more like the original, THE OLD HEALTH SYSTEM, no weapon number limitation, no enemy spawning out of nowhere, dodgeable bullets like in the original game, no fucking cheap AI etc. etc. etc.

What?

matrix_980899f.jpg

Goldrusher

But the new health system is so much better.

In the old one, if you're a bad player, the game only gets more difficult because of it.

jax (old)

Banned
TONX said:
- Call it Resistance 3: Fall of Chimera

- Bring back the weapon wheel, as mentioned earlier.

- Screw this "size does matter" mentality for online and make it more like R1's again, i.e. FUN

- More Hale, less crappy supporting characters. I dont even remember anyone's name other than Hale, and I've beaten it twice.

- Please have some worthwhile music in the game.

- No more insta-kills or unkillable enemies

IAWTP. the bolded one's I'd forgotten totally. Yeah, the support cast is so freaking indistinctint that late game when they get killed by the blobmonster thingy while hunting it... I just loled.

I think it might be time to kill the franchise. No.3 should end the series.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If I were insom, I'd be annoyed and offended by people telling me to grovel to other developers for their tech.

jax (old)

Banned
Y2Kev said:
If I were insom, I'd be annoyed and offended by people telling me to grovel to other developers for their tech.

they already said that across studios - insomniac/ND/sony, that the environment is co-operative/friendly. I don't see why it'd be a problem. If its even on the table, Insomniac should use it because imo, resistance 2 looked "meh" and the PS3 ratchet games, visually have yet to wow me.

Y2Kev said:

They don't need to. The engine behind R2 is fantastic they just need more polish time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jax said:
they already said that across studios - insomniac/ND/sony, that the environment is co-operative/friendly. I don't see why it'd be a problem. If its even on the table, Insomniac should use it because imo, resistance 2 looked "meh" and the PS3 ratchet games, visually have yet to wow me.
Because Insomniac has spent millions of dollars developing their tools and technology. Their programmers speak that language. Mike Acton even spoke on the virtue of developing your own technology at GDC a few years ago. They're not going to give up on it because some people think R2 is ugly (I think it's pretty ugly in spots, too).

They just need to refocus away from this mindless "scale" in R2 and go back to intense detail.

It's so tiring to go into threads now and see gamers talking about engines all the time. Engines engines engines. Like that's all that goes into a game looking the way it does. Reminds me of reading a thread full of people celebrating that Quantum of Solace was using the COD4 engine last year because now it would be good. It's like we're in some weird technology supermarket where you go to the Deli counter and you tell them you want a certain engine and they give you an aesthetic all wrapped up in butcher paper.

Y2Kev said:

And it's also completely uncalled for. R2 is fine in terms of graphics. This isn't Killzone 2 we're talking about. Who knows what Insomniac could have done with that kind of budget. :lol

Horseshit. R2 suffered from lack of polish rather than bad graphics. Some of the effects were outstanding, some not so (Lighting, AI being the obvious). Resistance 3 will be amazing, hopefully a perfect blend of the two.

Top Bottom