• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3: Back to Soviet union? Give me your wish list.

M3Freak

Banned
Loudninja said:
Ah seen people complain in R1, and they took it out for R2 now people want it back?

I never complained about the narrator - I was defending that story device back then. As I recall, the loudest complainers were the fucking gaming "media". The stupid shits are all fan boys, and we all know it.

I want the narrator back. The way the story was told in R2 was stupid and confusing. Half the time I couldn't hear WTF people were saying because the centre channel mix was too low.

My general wishes for R3:

1. Don't name it Resistance 3. Stick to your heritage with game names - make it witty, and use a colon. :)
2. Weapon wheel must return. This is your thing. Do it up.
3. Make my eyes bleed from the graphical awesomeness. R2 was all over the place...gross.
4. 7.1 PCM mix, but don't juice the surrounds and kill the centre channel. Just about every game I have has
totally fucked up the sound mix by juicing the surrounds and leaving the centre channel too low. On a properly calibrated system (like mine), I can't hear shit from the centre channel.
5. Please, make the game challenging. I want boss encounters that make me shit my pants (like in R:FoM), not laugh. Memorable, challenging boss fights make games legendary.
6. Don't pander to newby shits that don't know how to hold a dual shock. If you dumb down "R3" to newb level you will have the fucking mess that is R2.
7. Multiplayer has to be similar to R:FoM. Bring back R:FoM target bombs, get rid of the aim assist, let us choose squads, default to communicating to the whole team...
8. Let us chat/type in party mode.

Don't fuck up "R3". Look at your friends over at Naughty Dog. I played the multiplayer beta and I said "instant fucking win". It's so much fucking fun. I had about 50 billion times more fun with the U2 multiplayer demo than I did with Killzone 2's multiplayer, and Killzone 2 didn't suck balls like R2 did. Fuck.

jax (old)

Banned
M3Freak said:
I never complained about the narrator - I was defending that story device back then. As I recall, the loudest complainers were the fucking gaming "media". The stupid shits are all fan boys, and we all know it.

I want the narrator back. The way the story was told in R2 was stupid and confusing. Half the time I couldn't hear WTF people were saying because the centre channel mix was too low.

never had the issue with the narrator. BUT its not about getting that back. The game can evolve. Insomniac however with R2 failed with regards to their storydevice. The SRPA thing didnt' work. The hopping around US states with no clear direction/story is where it failed. It has nothing to do with "choice" of exposition. It failed from absolute and complete lack of story telling and exposition/establishment. Non of the NPCs were relatable. Hale might as well have been alone.

Killzone/Bioshock/COD4 all had no narrator and their respective storys were quite clear.

R2 was a mess. I don't know how they messed it up so bad.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
M3Freak said:

yea only a few of us defended the storytelling in R1

it was mostly the Reviews that complained, then some of thm complained about R2's sighting how R1's doc style tied things together so nicely.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Hated the R1 narrator. Her voice was so devoid of emotion she made an alien invasion seem boring. The in-game narrative style we got in R2 is much more engaging, imo. It makes you pay attention to your surroundings and what characters (both your's and others) are saying - the radio bits in R2 were fantastic, for example. In-game narrative is much more immersive, so I'm hoping Insomniac doesn't go back to a third-party narrator for R3.

I'll also be disappointed if they don't use Capelli. I liked that character a lot.

the TMO

- Sequel
- Narrator
- Weapons Wheel
- more Girls
- Euphoria engine
- R1 colors
- 20 + hours single player campaign
- cooperative with same maps of the single player + unique maps
- multiplayer on open world ala demon's soul

:D

- No color
- No coop
- Obnoxiously long driving sections
- 15 minute cutscenes
- 100 weapons
- Normal difficulty is now hard
- Health Bar system
- No boss battles
- Repeat No color

ggnoobIGN

Banned
R2 was a step back in the series entirely I thought. The story became uninteresting and the game-play was completely changed. I wished they would go more along sides that of number 1. Anyone agree?

McLovin

Insomniac knows what their doing.. all I can say is don't be afraid to delay the game and polish it. Also if necessary they can scale back on the mp if it will improve visuals.

ggnoobIGN said:
R2 was a step back in the series entirely I thought. The story became uninteresting and the game-play was completely changed. I wished they would go more along sides that of number 1. Anyone agree?

Agreed. Throwing bananas at the Chimera totally sucked unlike shooting them in the first game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This job posting suggests that they're keeping the multiplayer focus on really high player counts:

Gamasutra said:
Job Description:
If you rattle off kill streaks and kill/death ratios better than your own address, if you spend hours analyzing heat maps and your mantra is “the more the merrier” then this is the spot for you. Insomniac Games is looking for a designer who is uber-versed in the online games genre, and has the ability to filter, digest, and parse (who uses that word!) large amounts of feedback from a variety of sources. We are looking for someone who has a general voracity for collecting design knowledge and honing their respective skills in creating the best player experience.
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=19795&accountno=233

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dear Insomniac:
Take your time.

With love and hugs: Fersis.

Hydrargyrus

My tips:

- R3 must continue R2
- No more two weapons. Everyone wants that the weapon wheel returns.
- Call Guerrilla or Naughty Dog, ask them to borrow their engines
- Bosses huge as leviathan but where we have to do something more than shoot 2 o 3 rockets. My expectations for this battle was on top but it was very disappointing.
- More open scenarios
- Storytelling like R1

EDIT: As the user over me has said: take your time, don't have hurry as with R2

Keep the rest equal, I loved the two... well, I love every single Insomniac game

kodt

Banned
I don't really understand the Resistance 2 hate. Resistance 1 felt like a generic COD clone with aliens instead of Germans as the enemies. The levels were all brownish and similar looking.

R2 a least had a good variety of locales.

Sascha23

Banned
I say, bring it back one final time with a seriously good storyline and the level of visual shine and polish you gave the PS3 Ratchet titles.

Characters need to have some depth and back story (and I don't mean in intel items you pick up).

I really felt that R2 was good, but was it the amazing game I was expecting? Certainly not.

This is Insomniac's opportunity to create a final story-arc and end it with a bang while looking into another new IP.

Violater

Different art and modeling team, the characters from R1&2 looked too similar to those of Ratchet.
Make the Chimera more organic and scary again, too much tech. and mech.
Improved graphics and attention to detail is a must.
Bring back Weapon Wheel.
Do not play MW2 for inspiration
Mix the story telling perspectives.
this one could bite you though....
bring back hale as a boss fight
Graphics Graphics and yes again Graphics. we are whores for good graphics. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I liked R1, I didn't like R2. To be honest with Insomiac, just dump the series. Too many FPS' out there on the system and in the market as it is and you already blow shit up real good with Ratchet and Clank.

Please, move on to something else where you guys can truly extend your boundaries and flex your imagination.

Vard

Co-op story (online and local) would be really nice to have in there, although I did enjoy the new co-op mode. As for online, 2 player split-screen is great but 4 player split-screen is even better...

It was lame playing online though and getting killed in one hit by homing missiles. I really don't like the ranking system and how the more you play, the better weapons you get. I prefer shooters to have a system like Battlefield 1943 where the playing field is more level.

I really hope they go back to the drawing board. I was dissapointed by R2, the MP was quite a bit more fun in R1, one of my favorite this gen.

Alot of people have already said what I've been thinking but I'll chime in:

-less bloom. This is a last-gen lighting technique that should be used scarcely now. Too much of it makes my eyes bleed.

-Better indoor environments, detail. The alien tower in R2 looks fantastic. It wasn't until that point that I realized 'oh, so you can do indoor environments'. It made me wonder why the rest of the game doesn't look that good.

+please continue to deliver massive scale and battles in R3. This game is at its best when you have 20+ enemies on screen firing at you. It is what sets the franchise apart from all the other FPS's.

Best thing about R2 was the coop, yet they never followed up with new maps or anything substantial. The single player had it's moments, my favorite being Chicago (if only because it game me a total Half-Life vibe). The game reeked of not enough time in the oven, really. Let's not forget the Tower of GoogleMapus.

1) Bring back the Weapon Wheel

2) Bring back the old health system

3) Huge scale battles of the first game

4) Bosses like the second game

5) Narrative like the first game

6) Vehicle levels

dalin80

Banned
-weapon wheel
-R2's magnum
-polish
-dont over-focus on MP again
-more flowing storyline, would be nice to be a bit more filled in as to why were doing anything thats on screen
-mgs4 style weapon upgrades
-more grenades!
-when you have the best looking snow, use it
-dont bullshit us with the hype/full moon shows.

long before r2 was released a lot of people brought up concerns about gameplay decisions (the retarded 2 weapon system in a weapon based shooter for 1), these concerns were brushed aside with 'trust us, its awesome!'

yeah, well... it wasnt. it was a mess.

do not copy CoD, halo etc. r1 was fun because it was a bit different, r2 wasnt as there were too many concessions to the wild pack of 12 year CoD playing morons on myres.

KZObsessed

I don't particularly want another Resistance but if they do, Splitscreen/online co-op through the campaign.

First game was sooo good.

A slightly off-topic note: I really, really, really LOVE R2 and I haven't even played R1. One of my favorite current gen games.

GodofWine

Make me want to be Nathan Hale again....find a way...its going to be hard after that 'game' called R2...but it can be done...some how.

R1 (while not being a technical masterpiece) was so theatrical, moody, creepy, it made me want to fight for cause. Nathan Hale was the second best character ever at that time (snake #1)

R2 made me
hope that gun shot at the end was Hale's head getting blown off

FFObsessed said:
I don't particularly want another Resistance but if they do, Splitscreen/online co-op through the campaign.

First game was sooo good.
Yup. They better work on the graphic and change the game play back to the what the original was like. R2 seemed really unpolished.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nirolak said:
This job posting suggests that they're keeping the multiplayer focus on really high player counts:

Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=19795&accountno=233

oh no , wut " the more the merrier " ? my ass what is this shit ? :lol

I just hope it's not multiplayer crap with pure shitty SP again.

plz return to R:FOM style and bring back the sole FPS adventure in great atmosphere and levels that worth something , Fall of Man was like Half-life lite and million years better that that Resistance 2 COD with aliens shit.

and if Insomniac continues what they did with R2 , then I hope Sony give the IP to Bend Game Studio.

John

GodofWine said:
Nathan Hale was the second best character ever at that time (snake #1)
You can't be serious. Nathan Hale was a drone in R1. A man with more guns than spoken lines (he was worse in R2, but that's neither here nor there). The second best game character?

Resistance: Fall of Man featured a "boss" that the game hyped you up for, then made the entire thing a cutscene where Hale grits his teeth really tight and holds the trigger down.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
John said:
You can't be serious. Nathan Hale was a drone in R1. A man with more guns than spoken lines (he was worse in R2, but that's neither here nor there). The second best game character?

I think Hale is average character and very forgettable, but silent/mute is not bad thing , Gordon Freeman is one of best video games character ever.

Honestly? I'd like for them to work on a new IP and let Resistance sit until next gen. With R2 and the PSP game, I've had my fill of that universe for a while. The first game was good, but it only did super well due to the fact that it was the best game on the system for a long time. Even if this 3rd game is great, it won't sell like the first did.

I dunno. I just don't care to visit this universe again so soon.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Firewire said:
R2 killed the love I had for the original and now the franchise is dead to me. :(

I still have hope since Resistance: Retribution was very good , but then again R3 is not by Bend :(

John

Totobeni said:
I think Hale is average character and very forgettable, but silent/mute is not bad thing , Gordon Freeman is one of best video games character ever.
It's possible to characterize someone without them needing to speak, yes, but how do you say that about Hale and Freeman? Without promotional art, Freeman could be a hovercamera floating five feet above the air for all I know.

Top Bottom