• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3: Back to Soviet union? Give me your wish list.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Bring back the weapon wheel and some narration, everything else I liked more from R2 (well their aim was too good).

I'd also like co-op in the SP campaign, it can't be that hard to pull off.

dalin80

Banned
to be honest the only thing i would keep from R2 is the magnum.

everything else just didnt feel as good as the solid and fun original.

Oneself

Shurs said:
What?

matrix_980899f.jpg

Most bullets in the original were dodgeable, it was much more fun that way IMO. The hard difficulty didn't feel "cheap" thanks to that ... but in R2, it's cheap and Chimeras aim perfectly and shoot fast even at the "normal" difficulty level.

Is that underground picture in the OP from R3?

Why I like R1 more than R2:

-Hale didn't talk

-I actually liked the greys and the browns in R1. It was suited perfectly for the European environment.

-Level designs were better

-Better weapons

-SNOW! The snow levels and the effects were some of the most atmospheric events I've played this generation.

-The narration was cool from the one chick.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
- Health System of Fall of Man Please...

- Able to carry MORE than 2 Weapons(5 is good enough)

- Bring back the vehicle Missions, So Much fun so much more can be done...

- Co-Op Mode of R2 is great, push it and give it better storytelling

- Snow Snow Snow Snow Snow. The Cold Nature and atmosphere of Fall of Man made it more "gritty" than most games out there, and still the best snow falling effect on console. R2 was too warm(in color too).

- Bring the game to A frozen...African Jungle...or Frozen desert near the Pyramids...something people will remember. I must say mountains and caves in UTAH was meh.

- Push the Weapon designs, R2 new weapons were too familiar, the Magnum is fun but the rest are forgettable.

MULTIPLAYER

OMG 32-40 Players is enough, and if going there, put Vehicles in (STALKERS - TANKS) make big maps for good reason.

- Resistance i dont think should be too "tactical"(like Socom/MAG, RB6..ect).

- Build on the Human and Chimera difference we had in Fall of Man Multi...again many things that made Resistance stand out as an IP...

- Get rid of "Power Ups" system of R2

Loudninja

Jason's Ultimatum said:

-Hale didn't talk

-I actually liked the greys and the browns in R1. It was suited perfectly for the European environment.

-Better weapons

-SNOW! The snow levels and the effects were some of the most atmospheric events I've played this generation.

Better weapons?

Brashnir said:
Stop making mediocre shooters and make a new IP instead.

I'd have to agree with this. Resistance IP has never managed to capture my interest, and its never really achieved noteable success to date. Killzone 2 sort of came along and made their efforts a bit futile I feel.

Their talents are far better suited to fantasy stuff like Ratchet, and the rumours of them working on a 3d Zelda alike had me excited (but now unsure if there was anything to the) and if after Crack in Time it really is R3 time I'll be kinda disappointed.

JB1981

Totobeni said:
I am not talking about sales , Insomniac is more in the 3rd person shooter world ( Ratchet ) than FPS games , so they can make Resistance Retribution/Gears style game on PS3 .

again , I am not talking about same level of Gear sales , just the gameplay even games like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand copy Gears gameplay to the bones , so why it will be hard for Insomniac to do that and add their own ideas ?

I wasn't talking about sales either. I was talking about gameplay and an instinctive understanding of what makes a great game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Insomniac needs to go back to the mystery and eeriness of R1. Just pretend R2's retconning didn't happen. The chimera still need the cold, they still need conversion centers, and the carriers are still sneaking around. So awesome.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Assembly Required said:
Jesus NO! seriously, no more of that health pack bullshit.
you get a Health pack anytime(or most of the time) you kill a Chimera Hybrid... ti Never got in the way for me.

Just me me more careful in skirmishes

KillJade

Banned
konrad77 said:
There have been several discussions why Resistance 1 was better than Resistance 2 and vice versa.

What should insomniac do with Resistance 3? Prequel, Sequel?

This is my wish list, what is yours?

Gritty realism (KZ2), intense camerawork (Uncharted 2), fantastic futuristic weapons (Ratchet & Clank), campaign co-op using R2's excellent online interface, weather effects out the wazoo, enemies that shoot at your teammates as much as they shoot at you, bring back the tubes on the Chimera's backs (shooting them was just way too fun), more engaging and challenging boss encounters and finally, improve the cutscenes tenfold, R2 was extremely weak in this department.

And I agree with your last point as well, polish the living hell out of it. R2 had far too many graphical glitches and inconsistencies for my liking (flat textures for falling water and water refraction in room's with no water.... seriously?).

R2 was good, but could have been so much better. I have high hopes for R3.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
here's my list from the other thread.

This is all I can talk about lately, but here's a nice checklist.

-Focus more on the online play.
-Go back to your roots, especially regarding the chimera vs. human aspect of the game, which nearly ceased to exist entirely in the 2nd one.
-Lose the perk system just bring back radar vs. rage.
-Drop the 2 weapon system.
-Bring back the old fashioned CTF rather than core control.
-More organized maps in the vein of Manchester, Nottingham, or Sommersette.
-Identical bases with multiple pathways, vantage points, and a wide battlefield, amazing for teamwork and strategies.
-Bring back the old gun art style, and drop the color scheme somewhere between R1 and R2.
-Lose the 60 player matches too. I may catch some hate for this, but it's too much. A lot of spamming, insanity. I get the idea of large battlefield with people spread out, but it seemed unnecessary.
-Lower the map sizes to an extent to focus more clearly on organization.
-Bring back the old stat tracking and badges. It was easier to access and much easier/prettier to look at.
-Same goes for the ribbon system, which was completely useless to me in R2.

Probably will recieve a lot of hate for this.

And here goes finally

Drop the Co-op. People on GAF seemed to appreciate it somewhat, but I just could not. The AI was a mess, the enemies were damage sponges. It was not in the least bit satisfying. Just a complete mess. Biring back a co-op similar to uncharted 2, or even just like an online campaign co-op.

lorddct

*Bring back the weapon wheel. R1 just felt more strategic trying to figure out which weapon you should use in what given situation.
*Bring back story co-op!
*Allow online co-op of story.
*Bring back online co-op but with more levels and also someway make it feel like it's not all grinding.
*Bloody finish the story!!!!!

Teknoman

All I ask is a coherent story continuation without ridiculous time skips all over, and cutscenes that actually explain whats going on between stages/why you are there in the first place. Also really engaging boss battles, with indicators on whether or not you are damaging the enemy (hit animations...something).

And no radio comm voices when you are right by your squad mates if any.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Jason's Ultimatum said:

-Hale didn't talk

-Better weapons

What the fuck?

What?

Really?

mrbagdt

So this is a thread that is essentially "Design by committee" which is essentially what went "wrong" in R2 (note: I don't think anything was wrong with R2).

It would do Insomniac good to keep R3 like R2, drastic changes (one way or the other) will yet again piss off the fanbase.

JoJo13

Banned
Norml said:
Its not. The lighting is all that holds it back some imo. Comparing to Killzone, R2 has better textures, way more things on screen,the water effects, models have more detail, and even the main gun is more detailed.

:lol

Joke post, right?

right?

dalin80

Banned
mrbagdt said:
It would do Insomniac good to keep R3 like R2, drastic changes (one way or the other) will yet again piss off the fanbase.

i don't think deliberately making another disappointing game would be a great idea. the only folks i can see being pissed off are the 12 year olds on myres when they realise that it isn't a CoD clone anymore.

i love the original, its one of the very few games i have played through more then once, to me it feels a lot like HL but without the sucky xen level.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
dalin80 said:
i love the original, its one of the very few games i have played through more then once, to me it feels a lot like HL but without the sucky xen level.

yeah RFOM was very Half-life-ish , the lone adventure , the mystery and the dark levels designs ..ect , that was fucking great .

shame the sequel was COD clone with aliens

BobsRevenge said:
What the fuck?

What?

Really?

well the brown look of RFOM was fine , more color is better but R2 was too much mess in that with too much orange in many levels and it didn't feel natural ( like Halo/crysis/far cry 2 ) at all .

JoJo13 said:

Joke post, right?

right?

no :lol :lol

see some of his posts in Killzone 2 thread .

legendary stuff .

Agent X

With regard to the presence of a narrator:

Loudninja said:
Ah seen people complain in R1, and they took it out for R2 now people want it back?

That's what it seems like. Back at the tail end of 2006, some people felt having a narrator was "cheesy" and a cop-out instead of offering full-blown in-engine cinematic sequences. I think the reason people want it back is that, in retrospect, it actually worked well and distinguished the game from its contemporaries. This storytelling style was also done in Resistance: Retribution for PSP and it also worked well there.

See Sucker Punch's games on PS2/PS3 for another example of how this type of storytelling presentation can be successful.

Kittonwy

Banned
Things for R3:

Ironsights should be true ironsights.
Shooting from the hip should be more accurate, especially for the bullseye, meaning the reticle can't be super wide or spread way too fast.
Weapon damage range for standard rifles should be much further.
Lose the big XP letters in MP.
Give standard rifles more impact, not by fucking up the recoil but by giving individual hits more impact in terms of reaction and sound.
Enemy AI needs to be smarter in terms of using cover and flanking, R2 AI in execution seems much dumber than R1 AI even IF routines might be more advanced.
Level designs should be much less linear, more interesting and allow for both the player and the enemies to flank each other.
MP levels need to be much more varied and iconic, there's nothing memorable about R2 MP maps.
Vaulting over waist-high objects should be a given.
Grenades cannot be like throwing balloons.
Take time to write a story, take time to flesh out the universe, take time to build the game, the one and a half year cycle is going to burn out the IP, you won't even have enough time to tweak and tune SP levels, let alone MP level.
Find a protagonist, MAKE HIM INTERESTING, STICK WITH HIM.
Make interesting supporting characters, if you're going to have teammates, don't make them throw-aways like in R2. Cartwright was way more interesting than all of Hale squad combined.
Focus more on QUALITY of each mode than actually having so many modes.
Do away with the AI general in scrimmage, give each team various objectives and let players organize into squads themselves like in the first game, strictly following assigned objectives one at a time is BORING, no more "go to this place and hang around for 1 min" objectives.
Visuals: HDR, self-shadowing, reflective water, environments that actually cast REAL shadows, get all the art in properly for every single level, or toss the level out. R2 MP and SP maps look rushed and unfinished. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.
Lose the two weapon system, it doesn't work for Resistance weapons because there are too much differences in range and impact.
Either bring back weapon spawns or have ammo boxes, don't let the player run out of ammo.
If you can't make 60 players interesting then go back to 40 because R1 at 40 is actually better organized and team-oriented.
Boss fights need to have multiple patterns, weakspots and usage of environment.
You don't need to have cheap enemies, they make the game cheap.
If you're going to have enemies that can cloak themselves, DON'T MAKE THEM ONE HIT KILL, make them smart, make them able to use the environments, make the cloak fail progressively as they get hit more, it's fun to play hide and seek if the hiding and seeking lasts more than 2 seconds for either the enemy or the player.

BRING BACK NATHAN FOUTS AND MIKE STOUT.

dalin80

Banned
Agent X said:
With regard to the presence of a narrator:

That's what it seems like. Back at the tail end of 2006, some people felt having a narrator was "cheesy" and a cop-out instead of offering full-blown in-engine cinematic sequences. I think the reason people want it back is that, in retrospect, it actually worked well and distinguished the game from its contemporaries. This storytelling style was also done in Resistance: Retribution for PSP and it also worked well there.

See Sucker Punch's games on PS2/PS3 for another example of how this type of storytelling presentation can be successful.

while R1's narration style wasn't very exciting it did its job in a functional if sterile way, R2 felt disjointed with player heading to areas with little knowledge as to why and even less reason to care.

KilgoreTrout said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Don't bring the weapon wheel back.

Map weapons to the d-pad, but don't make each slot specific to a category of weapon like Uncharted or Gears. I like having a larger arsenal to choose from, but the weapon wheel is kinda a mess. Of course you could map in diagonal directions on the d-pad too, adding a possibility for more weapons.

I just don't wanna hold a button so I can select weapons.

We basically have already had this thread multiple times.

This guy has it right.

Limiting the player to 2 weapon slots broke what made R1 memorable (variety of combat options). The weapon wheel is a poor solution to this real problem. Freezing the game to select a weapon breaks the intensity of the firefights.

Using the 4 diagonals for weapon selection could work by making the game auto-pick up weapons until all 4 slots are full. When all slots are full and you come upon a new weapon the weapon cross will appear in the corner of the screen and you can hold one of the d-pad buttons to replace that weapon.

Resistance2 would have been a very good game overall but was marred by a lot of these small details that added up and hurt the final product.

Kittonwy

Banned
dalin80 said:
while R1's narration style wasn't very exciting it did its job in a functional if sterile way, R2 felt disjointed with player heading to areas with little knowledge as to why and even less reason to care.

If they're going to do cinematics, do in-game cinematics and make things happen around the player. Global hopping does not work, they need to put more time into making the whole game alot more coherent.

Totobeni said:
to Insomniac , play RFOM and Resistance: Retribution , make R3 like that .

drop First Person view , Resistance 3 should be 3rd person shooter with Cover system ( Gears style ) , fact is PS3 lack Gears and PS3 owners need something like that ,also Killzone is PS3's main FPS series , no need for 2 FPSs from SCE.

and yeah return to RFOM and Resistance: Retribution atmosphere and style again and bring back Ratchet/RFOM's weapon wheel system for Clank sake .

We got Uncharted 2 for that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Haha norml, that post was great in the KZ thread.

Anyway, the point I would make is that Insomniac should just do what they want. They did what they wanted with R1 and it was great.

-Focus more on the online play.

Don't do this.

Y2Kev said:
Haha norml, that post was great in the KZ thread.

Anyway, the point I would make is that Insomniac should just do what they want. They did what they wanted with R1 and it was great.

Don't do this.

I'd say focus more on Co-op, than on the competitive mode.

Loxley

Give the protagonist, I don't know, a not shaved head and five-o'clock shadow.

Basically make him not fucking generic looking. He could have the most dead-pan personality in the world, but gee wiz it would mean a world of a difference if his hair wasn't in the Space Marine range of:

Brown [-----------------------] Very brown [----------I------------] Like totally fucking brown.

Or, and this is really thinking outside the box, make the protagonist female. I mean Jesus do something to aesthetically set your main character apart from every other shooter out there.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Hale didn't talk.

Yes he did. Several times. I just completed the game for the second time last week and I was surprised how often he spoke. There were at least 5 cutscenes in which he spoke.

He talked in R1? Well, it has been years since I played the game.

BobsRevenge said:
What the fuck?

What?

Really?

Are you trying to act cool with your post? The game was very atmospheric. You were in a war-tone European environment. I agree with people saying a lot of current gen games have too many greys and browns, but R1 did it right with its amazing artstyle.

Boss Man

Pretend like Resistance 2 never happened and make a sequel to Resistance: Fall of Man that's called something more creative than Resistance 2. Oh, and don't make it like Killzone 2 or Call of Duty 5. Make it like Resistance: Fall of Man, but better.

Having said that, I'd like to go ahead and predict that they're just going to throw in a class system and some crazy 40 player online co-op thing. Neither of which will fit into the game well at all.

bring back the narration, vehicle segments and ability to hold all the weapons from R1

and you should be good to gooooo

Oh and LET SOME PART TAKE PLACE IN CANADA:D

I was playing R2 last night and the game looks stunning in many places. Given more time the whole thing would have been at that level throughout the entire campaign.

I would really like them to make to put more thought into the MP maps. None of them are special. Look at Halo 3 for inspiration. No one who buys R3 will be asking for DLC in the form of maps from R2.

60FPS please.

Also, I feel like whenever I'm running around, the perspective is always zoomed in or something. It feels really weird. This goes for R1 and 2. I don't know if it's simply because of the walking speed or what.

Basically, make it less of an eyesore.

B33

Banned
Drop the "gritty," "realistic," and "epic" sort of appeal that Modern Warfare touted and do what made Fall of Man such an intriguing experience.

Drop the "bigger, stronger, faster" stance and scale back the multiplayer.

Ensure that the game receives an acceptable amount of polish.

DuckRacer

Make a sequel to R:FoM and don't listen to game reviewers. Oh, and don't try to rip off Call of Duty again. If you're going to rip off something from that series, have it be 60fps – if you can do it with Ratchet and Clank two games in a row, you can do it with Resistance 3.

And bring back the Magnum.

edit: and drop co-op so you can put more resources towards the single-player. Either that or delay the game to 2011.

Boss Man

Really I just wish they'd play Resistance: Fall of Man for a few months before and during development. I want that franchise back. Resistance 2 was a totally unwelcome departure. Why would I play Resistance 2 when I've got Call of Duty and Killzone? Resistance: Fall of Man, on the other hand, is a game that I can still go back to.

TEH-CJ

Banned
as one of the biggest fps critics and resistance fans out there. listen to me and you will have an incredible fps on your hands :p

but seriously. things I would like to see in R3

- make the guns satisfying to shoot. this is a fps, your going to spend 90% of the time shooting stuff, so its important to nail this perfectly. In R2 the guns lacked weights, they felt like paper weights and sounded weak to boot.

- Improve the gore. it was a step up in Resistance 2 but the gibs really destroyed the suspension of disbelief. the chimea died in fairly realistic animations then suddenly my bullet would hit a chimera in head and just spontaneously explodes into a million pieces, and the result is 3 brains, 4 livers and 2 hearts sliding down the wall. really takes you out of the experience. hell ditch the giibs system and just make the flesh of the chimera tear apart as my bullets pierce through its skin while he contorts and spasm's with blood spraying everywhere.

- ditch SRPA team. I felt like i was fighting with faceless pawns. I couldn't see their expressions, because they all had masks on. I didn't feel bad when one of them died, hell at one stage I totally forget they were human.

- Make it a more coherent experience. in R2 I would be flying all over the fucking place and I have no idea why. half of the time I had no idea why I was there and what my mission objective was.

- Improve the ravangers. they have potential to be one of the best enemies in a fps. dont make them so stiff. improve their animations and make them move around abit more instead of being stationary. also the green sheilf they weild is very predicble and only takes couple of shots to deplete. make them more like brutes in halo 3 and you have my favourite enemies ever.

- SOUND EFFECTS!- sound effects in my opinion makes or breaks a game. Sound will immerse you into a game more than graphics ever will. so please more emphasis on sound this time. remeber the cutscene in R2 when you enter oric? and the chimera ambush the convoy and hale and his team go crazy firing the carbines in every direction. why do the guns sound so incredible their but sound so lifeless and weak in gameplay?

- Vehicles! they were great in R1 and had so much potential to be excellent in r2!, what happend man??

- make the game more open ended. let the player have more freedom when approaching battles.

- DO NOT COPY COD 4 EVER AGAIN!

I still enjoyed R2 dont get me wrong. but man it could of really been something special if it was left in the oven for another year.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
1. Don't do a prequel. Prequels suck with the one exception of the new Star Trek movie.
2. More focus on single player.
3. Hire the guy that did the first Uncharted to do your score and record a real orchestra. It makes the game feel epic if you use real music and leave the fake synth music for monkeys.
4. Don't rush it out the door.

jax (old)

Banned
I wonder if Insomniac is taking note of this thread. You guys should know we post because we're passionate about HALE/Resistance. As a non FPS guy, I played and finished bioshock and resistance1 (and killzone 2) and I was amped for R2. I absolutely hate R2 though. However, I think there's cue in the feedback here that you can take to improve the next game.

don't neglect the 1p game!

and

to re-emphaise. NO MORE 1 hit kill bullshit. Not in the water and not from invisbile troll chimerans. /lame

-PXG-

Yoboman said:
I've always disliked Resistance because it felt like a mesh of games loosely strung together rather than it's own beast. The first game felt like a mesh of Half Life and Call of Duty and Ratchet and Clank. The second, still unsure of where it was going, seemed to start taking cues from Halo 3 and Gears of War... It has it's own elements, but it's always felt like a mashup of other's concepts to me.

This.

First game was good , but not great. Second game was horrendous. R2 was a complete and utter mess. If only they used Killzone 2's graphics engine and control scheme for R3....

Top Bottom