• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3: Back to Soviet union? Give me your wish list.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Kittonwy said:
Priorities for Insomniac Games:

Graphics:
HDR lighting (GET WITH THE MOTHERFUCKING TIMES FOR FUCK'S SAKE, THREE GAMES RELEASED SO FAR AND STILL YOU HAVEN'T MANAGED TO INCLUDE A FUCKING STANDARD CURRENT GEN LIGHTING EFFECT).
REAL-TIME self-shadowing and shadowing for objects and characters in the environment, if you put something in the game, it should cast and receive real-time shadows, if I run through any shadow I expect my character and my gun to reflect that.
Do not overuse bloom, it's so last-gen.
Water should be reflective.
Ambient occlusion.
It's not how much you can port to the SPUs under the hood but what the player can actually experience visually.

Gameplay:
Smaller reticle.
Smaller spread for recoil.
Give grenade weight, R2 grenades were like throwing beachballs.
BETTER AI.
More cover opportunities.
If you're going to put a boss in the level, make it mobile, give it a pattern, give it a weakspot that opens up under certain conditions, make it more of a puzzle.
Co-op must be played with characters that are endearing to the players and not just some random characters, and as few bullet sponge enemies as possible, make them smart, make the players learn how to flank and work together.
MP characters need to be much less generic.
No more single-minded rushing one-hit kill enemies, water enemies need to be killable by bullets or by electrifying the water such as shooting a powerline.
Freedom of movement, any waist high fence should be able to be jumped over, invisible walls should be kept to a minimum and limited to the map borders and high walls.

Sound:
Have proper gun sounds in games.
Hire a proper composer who can put together an epic orchestral score.
Understated is NEVER the answer, aurally you should never aim to underwhelm.

Story:
Cinematics should be brief and impactful.
Keep the story immersive by using in-game dialogue.
Keep the player in control while the scene is played out as much as possible, every time you go to pre-recorded cinematics, you remove the player from interacting with the game.

Most importantly, listen to people who are giving you good, honest advice instead of fans who just want to suck up to you. We're not harsh because we hate you, we're harsh because we want you to make the best game possible, we want a blockbuster, not a middle-of-the-road "it's good but it's not great" game.
Indifferent2.gif
Needs another quote.

KongRudi

Banned
Things I concider realistic wishes that could happen:
- Bring back the narrator.
Sure alot of reviewers hate stories and pre-rendered cutscenes.
I've never been to any of the games reallife locations.
In R1 I felt I 'were' at the different locations the game happened due to the fact that the narrator told me about it, I didn't feel that way in R2 (or other games) even tough I recognized some of San Francisco and similar.
Unless you can customize the look of your game-hero, I don't see the point of using in-engine cut-scenes.
- Resistance franchise has way to many cool and fun weapons to restrict the player, please bring back the weapon wheel. :)

Thing I concider a unrealistic wish for R3:
- Call Guerrilla Games and tell them you are stealing their bolt gun, that thing is awesome. :p
- Include a PS3-port of 'Resistance: Retribution' using the Ratchet engine on disk.
(Sees this as unrealistic, but it's a wishlist), maybe Bend is working on a PS3-game and using R:R-assets to prototype their engine.

jorma

is now taking requests
Make sure single player R3 is more like single player R2 than it is R1.

Also super expand on the online coop parts, they were the best parts of R2 mp.

dalin80

Banned
jorma said:
Make sure single player R3 is more like single player R2 than it is R1.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

R2's singleplayer was a pile of wank, too much focus on mp and a host of bad ideas made it much much worse then R1's.

Another major thing about Resistance, KEEP THE FEEL OF THE TIMES. The first Resistance kept the whole alternate WWII feel pretty well, but with R2 things changed way too much, especially visually. Often would just forget that the game was set in an alternate 50's.

dalin80 said:
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

R2's singleplayer was a pile of wank, too much focus on mp and a host of bad ideas made it much much worse then R1's.

R2's single player was not horrible, it just felt like it needed some more tweaking. Lot of the ideas where excellent and some very cool moments, but they definitely seemed to need more work on various aspects.

Less scripted is the only thing I would really want changed about the storyline. Scripted sequences and shit is fine, but to make the whole game COD like was a crappy decision. First game was much more open and felt more free form. If they can do that feel with a R2 atmosphere that would be great.

Also allow for 2 player coop in the single player campaign, you could in R1 and it was lots of fun. The scripted nature of R2 basically killed the ability to play coop but they also had you play much of the game with ai buddies, which could have been substituted with a coop buddie.

jax (old)

Banned
Kittonwy said:
we want a blockbuster, not a middle-of-the-road "it's good but it's not great" game.
Indifferent2.gif

R2 isn't even a middle of the road title. Its godawful trash. I bought it half price and I reckon I still got robbed. Its Lair level of fail.

BattleMonkey said:
Another major thing about Resistance, KEEP THE FEEL OF THE TIMES. The first Resistance kept the whole alternate WWII feel pretty well, but with R2 things changed way too much, especially visually. Often would just forget that the game was set in an alternate 50's.

Fucking signed. I would also see more involvement from actual historical firgures like Winston churchill, JFK, Hitler etc. etc. Resistance's storyline is SO rich on potential that it pains me that Insomniac doesnt dwell into actuall recorded history. Potential for epicness is still left so unexploited.

R2's single player was not horrible, it just felt like it needed some more tweaking. Lot of the ideas where excellent and some very cool moments, but they definitely seemed to need more work on various aspects.

Less scripted is the only thing I would really want changed about the storyline. Scripted sequences and shit is fine, but to make the whole game COD like was a crappy decision. First game was much more open and felt more free form. If they can do that feel with a R2 atmosphere that would be great.

Also allow for 2 player coop in the single player campaign, you could in R1 and it was lots of fun. The scripted nature of R2 basically killed the ability to play coop but they also had you play much of the game with ai buddies, which could have been substituted with a coop buddie.

Honestly, Resistance 2 campaign WAS horrible compared to the one in the original Resistance. Characters and story were downright atrocious compared to the previous effort.

The thing I REALLY liked about the original story was the most of the truth was kept under wraps and not fully elaborated. It created a sense of suspense, mystery and excitement. You knew something big was going on but not exactly what.

That kind storytelling is the best, because it keeps the player speculating and guessing on his own. It attracts/invites curiousity and creative story solving.

For the most part R2 story felt very amateurish in side with R1's.

No matter the amount of bitching about how the first story was told, it was WAY WAY better than the second. They need to polish it, make it darker, and work on their engine. They need to allow the weapons wheel back. In short, they need to make a true successor to the first game. Screw the nay-sayers, they had it right the first time.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
To be honest, and I hope this isn't looked upon as a troll but I don't want R3. I think Insomniac is a great dev and I love the Ratchet series and the Spyro series. Plus there are quite enough FPS's out there.

Resistance 1 was good not OMG awesome great but because it came early enough in the ps3 library it got treated as a OMG awesome game. Resistance 2 was just bad. It seemed everything good from R1 was wiped with the intention of giving the game a more colorful bigger is better feel.

I was hoping the bullet to Hale's head was the signal to the end of the IP. I would enjoy it more if Insomniac would back away from the FPS and develop a great new IP.

McLovin

I honestly wish they rework how the bosses/enemies react to bullets. The bigger bosses and allot of the co-op bosses hardly reacted to damage. It was like they where bullet sponges until their life meter got to a certain point and then they reacted. It also didn't help that their AI was bad. I remember fighting one of the co-op bosses and it was just walking around doing its own thing until it got stuck somewhere. This really put me off in the co-op.

Melchiah

konrad77 said:
There have been several discussions why Resistance 1 was better than Resistance 2 and vice versa.

What should insomniac do with Resistance 3? Prequel, Sequel?

This is my wish list, what is yours?

1. Storytelling - Tell it from the same perspective as the first Resistance, IOW they don't really know what happened. Use the same narrator as in the first resistance, or equally good.

2. Move it to Soviet union where the chimera virus originated from. (I really want a Siberian level + Transiberian railroad (inside the train).

3. IMO the previous games lacked in atmosphere. Use snow (we know that insomniac can do snow), rain and thunder more often (did it even rain in previous games?)

4. Let us have more than 2 weapons.

5. Coop in story mode.

6. Polish it until it shines.

I agree with everything that was said above, with the exception of RFoM lacking in atmosphere.

The three most important things for me
- Bring back offline split screen co-op campaign (split vertically, not horizontally)
- Bring back the gunwheel
- Bring back the narrator

And it would be great if Insomniac actually looked more closely on what made RFoM great and unique, instead of copying stuff from HL2, COD and Halo.

What would also be awesome, if they'd make it a sequel, but gave us a glimpse of the events that lead to RFoM, in a playable form of course.

And this:
JoJo13 said:
-Focus less on scale, more on fun moment to moment encounters (this holds true for all three modes - co-op, competitive, and single player)

-better, more interesting boss battles (see: metroid)

I agree with the first point totally, but IMO the boss battles aren't that necessary. After all, RFoM didn't have that many of them, and those it had it could have lived without.

cjtiger300 said:
James Stevenson just posted this on Twitter.....

could this be a hint????

just noticed this, and yeah it would be friggin awesome if true.

Please dont fuck this one up Insomniac... it felt like torture to platinum R2 :(

Lord Phol

Playing through the first one atm and having a hard time understanding all the praise and love it gets. It just has this arcade B-ish feeling to it compared to games like halo, killzone or modern warfare. Everything from the main menu to the feel of the guns and mediocre graphics.
Perhaps that's what people like about it, but then again I enjoyed TimeSplitters and am just barely enjoying this game so far.

Heard it gets better later on so perhaps there something mindblowing I've yet to experience.

Melchiah

Shurs said:
Two complaints about the first Resistance was the voice over slide show narrative took the player out of the game and that Hale never spoke. Insomniac listened to this criticism and gave Hale a voice plus used cut scenes rather than slide shows. In addition to this they added the radio shows to add to the narrative without taking you out of the gameplay.

People complained that the first Resistance only had local co-op. Insomniac listened and gave us 8 player online co-op with that dwarfed the length of a co-op campaign. They added value.

People complained that the first Resistance was too washed out and gray. Insomniac gives us levels with color.

People complained that the levels in the first Resistance were too similar in look. Insomniac gives us many different environments in Resistance 2.

The things is, Insomniac listened to those who didn't like RFoM, when they should have listened to those who liked it (AFAIK the original sold more than the sequel). I personally wouldn't have changed any of the things you just listed there. It speaks volumes that I've played RFoM through 5-6 times, and the sequel only twice.

Plus, RFoM's split screen campaign was a fun way to spend an evening with a friend. Whereas in the sequel you can't play the multiplayer part without a third player, and there's no split screen mode for three players. Which makes playing the game offline totally impossible.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't care about HDR lighting, lol. I just want detail instead of scale. You probably can't do both given budgets/time constraints/hardware constraints, and there are too many areas of R2 that are fugly for some dumb skybox that looks great but is totally outside of what I can interact with.

Melchiah

Lord Phol said:
Playing through the first one atm and having a hard time understanding all the praise and love it gets. It just has this arcade B-ish feeling to it compared to games like halo, killzone or modern warfare. Everything from the main menu to the feel of the guns and mediocre graphics.
Perhaps that's what people like about it, but then again I enjoyed TimeSplitters and am just barely enjoying this game so far.

Heard it gets better later on so perhaps there something mindblowing I've yet to experience.

That's one of the things that made the original Resistance great. Not every shooter has to be tactical and realistic.

And it does get better and better along the way, unlike the sequel.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Loved the second game more than the first. Whatever you do, Insomniac, please don't bring back the narrator! Character-based narrative FTW!

So with that, I'll just report what I had in there

AgentOtaku said:
Haven't read through this mountain of a thread yet, but all I'll say in regards to the Resistance IP is embrace what made R1 what it is and really focus on that. R2, while I loved it for the most part, it just felt like it was trying to be something it was never going to be in the first place (nor would I want it too) IE: A CoD competitor...
Take out the Iron sight aiming, the narrow funneled hallways, squad combat, the focus on spectacle skirmishes (at least at the beginning and towards the end of R2), borderline generic American Military tone/characters.

Another thing, I don't know what the budget of R2 was but it seems like it may have been alot when it didn't need to be. I know Insomniac isn't THAT huge and I don't want them to pour all their assets into one title that may or may not make it. Especially when it's as inconsistant as R2. I'm not saying make you titles for cheap or something, but it just seemed like money/time in R2 was spent is places that didn't really benefit from it, IE: the Intersense Camera (or whatever it's called), a musical score that was largely not really well realized, an emphasis on scale with the benefit being mostly shallow and on the surface, cutscenes that didn't convey much (as far as narrative and story direction) even though they were well produced, things like this. Basically trying to make R2 some sort of blockbuster when it doesn't need to be.
Finally, I ask that Insomniac starts to pull away from their method of delivering the Resistance universe
. The idea of giving only bits and pieces and relying on your fans to figure out the rest via viral marketing and such, has worn out it's welcome. Not to mention, it's a bit much expecting the average person to invest that much to get something back from the lore. You guys have an fantastic IP with alot of great story in there, so stop going out of your way to hide it only for the most convicted fans and open it up for everyone. This way, the bits that DO show up don't just come off as some generic scifi Aliens-rip off. It's a much more interesting/compelling universe than something like the roid-face Gears, but it's just being told in the wrong way.

As for the Ratchet IP, the only thing I'll say is push more in the way of new direction/gameplay and not just amazing tech. I've only played Ratchet1, 2 and Tools of Destruction. By the time I got to Tools, I felt like the gameplay was already starting to wear out it's welcome and of course I hadn't even play 3, 4 or Size Matters.

I really hope you guys are still reading this thread ...love ya and thanks for the forums to express what I think! :D

Lord Phol said:

When R1 came out it was alot better, the game just has been surpassed by so many other shooters that it now looks quite inferior. Course I feel the same way about most fps from around the same time period.. The FPS genre keeps one upping each other. It's hard to properly judge the first game at this point.

I didn't touch HL2 when it came out, I came in pretty late and I was amazed as it really just bored the hell out of me. I did not understand why the game was hailed as something so amazing, I thought it was more annoying than anything. Seems like a similar situation where we get different expectations later along the line.

Melchiah

BattleMonkey said:
I didn't touch HL2 when it came out, I came in pretty late and I was amazed as it really just bored the hell out of me. I did not understand why the game was hailed as something so amazing, I thought it was more annoying than anything. Seems like a similar situation where we get different expectations later along the line.

Same here, and couldn't agree with you more. The platforming parts were annoying as hell, the vehicle parts were too long, and there were too many puzzle parts which broke the flow of the game. The only memorable part of the game was Ravenholm.

Lord Phol

BattleMonkey said:
When R1 came out it was alot better, the game just has been surpassed by so many other shooters that it now looks quite inferior. Course I feel the same way about most fps from around the same time period.. The FPS genre keeps one upping each other. It's hard to properly judge the first game at this point.

That's the feeling I got as well. But I'll play through it nonetheless, perhaps the sequel will fair better with me.

BattleMonkey said:

Funny how I pretty much have the same experience with that game, with the exception of having played it a bit at launch, thinking it was spectacular at the time.
Now, some years later I can barely make myself complete the game, haven't even touched episode 2.

Take out the Iron sight aiming, the narrow funneled hallways, squad combat, the focus on spectacle skirmishes (at least at the beginning and towards the end of R2), borderline generic American Military tone/characters.

I don't think it would be a great idea, I think that Iron Sights is a very clever way to take advantage of the analog joystick's "lack of accuracy". It makes running around faster while allowing some precision when needed. It feels 10 time better than the old "R3-zoom-in", it's more realistic, it's looks better, I only see advantages. They can tone down the use of iron sight and advantage hip shooting with various little tweaks, but L1-iron sights works better than anything else.

MrPliskin

Banned
McLovin said:
No.. his list was pretty damn good. The graphics did need polish and the water looked and moved like jello. That game would have looked 10 times better with better looking water.

As far as MP goes I think they need to scale back the number of players to improve the visuals. The also need to focus on making well balanced stages. The MP from R1 was way more addicting and I played it for months. I only played R2's mp for like a week tops.

10 times better how? You mean to tell me you think the game would improve visually by improving water...which appeared throughout a handful of stages (off the top of my head, San Fran, Orick, Chicago, and Crocodrie).

The problem wasn't visuals. The problem was consistent visuals. Insomniac has proven their engine is more than capable of creating astonishing visuals (the Leviathan, for instance, is still one of the most amazing looking bosses yet in a videogame).

HDR is hardly necessary to create a fantastic game. That's nothing more than technical blow hard bullshit from Kittonwy. Throwing around buzz words doesn't mean you "know your shit". It means you're too deeply involved in NeoGAF without actually having the technical know how to back up your comments.

The game needed a lot of things, but not many of what Kittonwy wanted.

It needed consistent vision and direction, quite frankly it hopped around too much from place to place. I understand their goal to traverse the United States, however, it came at the expense of a cohesive narrative.

It needed better level design to go along with the new 2 weapon system. The level design and weapon placement essentially telegraphed large fire fights, and often times forced players to use a select few weapons.

There are other things that I can possibly mention and bring up that could have used improvement, etc, but honestly, it's just not worth it. The GAF "hate" for this game is absolutely unbelievable, and honestly I really believe it's nothing more than the hivemind at work. I can think of games that are far far worse.

Y2Kev

MrPliskin said:
10 times better how? You mean to tell me you think the game would improve visually by improving water...which appeared throughout a handful of stages (off the top of my head, San Fran, Orick, Chicago, and Crocodrie).

The problem wasn't visuals. The problem was consistent visuals. Insomniac has proven their engine is more than capable of creating astonishing visuals (the Leviathan, for instance, is still one of the most amazing looking bosses yet in a videogame).

HDR is hardly necessary to create a fantastic game. That's nothing more than technical blow hard bullshit from Kittonwy. Throwing around buzz words doesn't mean you "know your shit". It means you're too deeply involved in NeoGAF without actually having the technical know how to back up your comments.

The game needed a lot of things, but not many of what Kittonwy wanted.

It needed consistent vision and direction, quite frankly it hopped around too much from place to place. I understand their goal to traverse the United States, however, it came at the expense of a cohesive narrative.

It needed better level design to go along with the new 2 weapon system. The level design and weapon placement essentially telegraphed large fire fights, and often times forced players to use a select few weapons.

There are other things that I can possibly mention and bring up that could have used improvement, etc, but honestly, it's just not worth it. The GAF "hate" for this game is absolutely unbelievable, and honestly I really believe it's nothing more than the hivemind at work. I can think of games that are far far worse.

Wow, now this post I will quote. :clap :drakeface

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Y2Kev said:
I don't care about HDR lighting, lol. I just want detail instead of scale. You probably can't do both given budgets/time constraints/hardware constraints, and there are too many areas of R2 that are fugly for some dumb skybox that looks great but is totally outside of what I can interact with.

I absolutely agree... in fact I never got why some games waste resources the way they do. Characer models, gun models, and immediate environments should take priority. R2 was a mess when it came to textures and models all around, not to mention the reload animations. I'm not trying to troll here, but if uncharted, killzone, and even various third party and older games can look as good as they do, then why can't Resistance?

Like I said before the color scheme needs to go... it was like an oversaturated orange with bloom lighting. The water wasn't a huge problem, simply, because there wasn't a ton of it. R+C looks incredible so we know these guys have the ability. Also if the game needs extra time take it. The second one was clearly rushed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
MrPliskin is right, rendering techniques arent the issue here. (Yeah HDR doesnt make the game fun)
Its more about the lack of time to polish and develop a consistent artistic direction than tech stuff.
Dont know the reason why Insomniac releases a game every year (Which is beyond of impressive) but R3 should get more than one year of full pre production.
Anyway.... have fun.

msdstc said:
I absolutely agree... in fact I never got why some games waste resources the way they do. Characer models, gun models, and immediate environments should take priority. R2 was a mess when it came to textures and models all around, not to mention the reload animations. I'm not trying to troll here, but if uncharted, killzone, and even various third party and older games can look as good as they do, then why can't Resistance?

The game did have some excellent textures, fantastic models, and nice environments, problem was merely consistency in the product. You had some truly impressive levels then suddenly you had shit like the big forest level which look awful all around, ugly blurry alien ship interior, the messy looking desert canyon, etc. And even in some of the good levels you have areas where the quality just would randomly nosedive or feel incomplete.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
lowrider007 said:
Resistance 3 :

• Bring back the weapon wheel.

• Have the story narrated again in the same way as it was done in RFoM.

• Concentrate more on the Chimerian architecture, and modelling in general, the modelling in R2 was a let down compared to RFoM, for example the big pods that you come across that are stuck in the ground that release bugs and infect people, at the top of them in RFoM they have what looks like 3d modelled chrome balls that look fantastic, I was eager to see what they looked like in R2, but sadly in R2 they we're just a flat texture of the image of the balls.

That really was shameful work by the model team seriously, and these kinds of short cuts can be seen all throughout R2, it was these little attentions to detail in RFoM that stunned me, like the translucent pipes in the underground where you could see the inner workings of them like a mechanical umbilical cord, stunning stuff, and being able to shoot the pipes on the back of the Chirmerian cooling units (their backpack) and see the pipe flap about with steam expelling from the unit, amazing, why the fuck did they take that out of R2 ?, come to think of it did they have a different modelling team working on R2 or what ?

lowrider007 said:
The weapon drops where just stupid in R2, here's a boss, oh here's a rocket launcher on the floor, lol, give us the ability to carry all the weapons but limit ammo drops instead, much better, then when you have boss encounters just have an ammo crate or two lying around.

Please take more care on the modelling and Chimerian architecture next time Insomniac.

Fersis said:
MrPliskin is right, rendering techniques arent the issue here. (Yeah HDR doesnt make the game fun)
Its more about the lack of time to polish and develop a consistent artistic direction than tech stuff.
Dont know the reason why Insomniac releases a game every year (Which is beyond of impressive) but R3 should get more than one year of full pre production.
Anyway.... have fun.

You know, Im actually beginning to question Insomniac's 1~2 year developement cycle. Being able to brag about pumping out games as fast as possible isnt really something you can be proud of it your games are a mess in dire need of polish.

I really, really, REALLY want Insomniac to stop that nonsense and actually give their games the extra developement time they (in most cases) need.

If R2 is an example of their 2 year developement cycle then no thanks.

Insomniac clearly has the talent, but their deadlines are not doing themselves justice.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
highluxury said:
You know, Im actually beginning to question Insomniac's 1~2 year developement cycle. Being able to brag about pumping out games as fast as possible isnt really something you can be proud of it your games are a mess in dire need of polish.

I really, really, REALLY want Insomniac to stop that nonsense and actually give their games the extra developement time they (in most cases) need.

If R2 is an example of their 2 year developement cycle then no thanks.

Insomniac clearly has the talent, but their deadlines are not doing themselves justice.
I dont know if that its up to Insomniac remember that Resistance its a SCEI IP.
Insomniac its the only studio i know of that can release one big game a year.

LQX

I really loved the American local of Resistance 2 especially Louisiana. The Suburb areas would have been much better without those zombies are whatever they were which kind of ruined the enjoyment I think. Overall it was OK but felt rushed and the graphics a let down.

I hope with part 3 they stick to only the US setting instead of jumping back to Europe. Have the Chimera attack NY, Las Vegas or something, just get away from Europe. Also bring back the damn narration and evolve the enemies a little. I find the Chimeran to be plain and boring. And no more of those zombie things.

Y2Kev

I think R2 was significantly better on easy. Tells me the game was a little too trial and error. Just like call of duty. God I hate that piece of shit series for ruining everything. Halo was a much better paradigm to savagely rip off!

Binabik15

FootNinja said:
Needs another quote.

I´d like to add "add some horror elements" to that list, like that early video of chimeras rushing at you over a car, they were really, really creepy in their hive-mind like combined action with everyone looking savage on his own.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
one thing is for shure, im not blindbuying R3 like i did with R2...

and bring back offline story co-op! you god damn sociopath nerds at insomniac!!!

Melchiah

Y2Kev said:
I think R2 was significantly better on easy. Tells me the game was a little too trial and error. Just like call of duty. God I hate that piece of shit series for ruining everything. Halo was a much better paradigm to savagely rip off!

Agreed. I played it the second time through on easy, and it was more enjoyable. The thing is, RFoM was very much enjoyable even on hard. I can't imagine ever playing the sequel on hard.

John

R2's difficulty never felt artificial at all; rather, it gave me an enormous sense of accomplishment. I felt like I should be recording my playthrough half the time, my skills were so good (obviously they weren't that good). Really, FPSes are way too easy nowadays (Bioshock, Battlefield: BC, Prey, and games that do have death), and I thought Resistance 2 had the perfect difficulty level throughout.

And Kittonwy's talking out of his ass with the composer bit.

IPoopStandingUp said:
As long as the MMO-like online co-op returns I'll be a happy camper.

THIS. :D

I enjoyed co-op immensely. Can't wait for the sequel and I really hope that they'll build on the foundations of that mode cause it really has a ton of potential.

Lince

Banned
forget about the SP campaign and competitive multiplayer, focus on the excellent COOP and build everything around it.

MercuryLS said:
Seriously, they should stick to stuff like Ratchet. That's more their speed.
Hell no.

Ratchet is great and all, but we've been playing essentially the same game for the past...8 years, is it? Resistance 1 is the PS3's Halo, IMO. Insomniac knows better than anyone in the industry how to make amazing weapons, and they worked wonders with Resistance. I especially love the setting, particularly in R2. Kicking ass in the swamps of Louisiana? Yes, please.

I noticed someone mention 60 FPS. I'm inclined to agree because I think 60 FPS should be the standard for every game, but R2 is really smooth without it. Never had a problem with the graphics. Fall of Man was washed out to the point of being exceedingly bland, but R2 was just right.

This is my final word: Take a year off and turn Resistance into something truly special. M$ got it right with the 2 years between sequels, flipping Gears and Halo. I'd never impose a deadline if it took longer than two years, but I think Insomniac got so close to crafting the best FPS out there with R1.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Hell no.

Ratchet is great and all, but we've been playing essentially the same game for the past...8 years, is it? Resistance 1 is the PS3's Halo,.

I love RFOM and all , but no , just no , Killzone 2 is the FPS of PS3.

I know that is your own opinion , but hey , this is GAF :|

rvy

Banned
Gun weight should have an effect on your agility. It probably does in R1 and R2, but not noticeable enough.

If Insomniac had to drop a franchise I'd rather have them drop Ratchet. They're the only one who make FPS with fun weapons. Those weapons are the main reason why I love Resistance so much but can't really get into other FPS. That said, I wouldn't mind a mix of the two. What about a colourful Ratchet FPS? :D

Top Bottom