• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

Teknoman

alr1ghtstart said:
Some people say it isn't. It could have been lag, but I dropped around 10 shots into a guy's back with hipfire and he proceeds to turn around, ADS, and drop me real quick. I absolutely hate games that negate any use for hipfire.

Which on an unrelated note, is why I hope Modern Warfare 3 will actually have some improvements on that front, especially since they dont seem to be having a beta test.

thuway

I wonder what concessions would have to be made to make the game run at 720p. They should drop the anti-aliasing altogether, and try their best to reduce some of the players on screen to get that resolution up. C'mon Ice Team :-o.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Prolly couldn't ever happen if they're all about alpha effects. RSX budget gpu can't do that.

It's an ill-advised strategy, IMO, just because it's so noticeable. But really no one cares that much in the actual mainstream.

If they just fix the crashing it will be perfect. Please dont change anything else. It is already my favorite mp game. The weapons feel so much better then R1 or R2, I loved the new abilities. They absolutely hit it out of the park with this game, I just hope the sp can hold up.

The ADS isn't overpowered at all in R3. First of all, there is no auto snap/lock when you switch to ADS, and shooting from the hip is very precise. Whether you shoot from the hip or trough the ADS, you have to manually aim and know what you're doing. It's far from CoD or R2 where you can just press L1 whenever you see a target on your screen and let the game aim for you.

thuway said:
I wonder what concessions would have to be made to make the game run at 720p. They should drop the anti-aliasing altogether, and try their best to reduce some of the players on screen to get that resolution up. C'mon Ice Team :-o.
Just out of curiosity. I've heard some people complain about the graphics. Why isn't the image quality up to par with let's say a game like Killzone 2 or Infamous 2? Is it the size of the team, money, engine? Not trolling here, seriously. I'd like to know.

By the way, i thought Rfom and Resistance two looke dgood enough to enjoy at the time so i'll be good.

Every game I've played my PS3 has frozen at the end of the rounds/match. I hope the guys at Insomniac can get it sorted out relatively quickly. Here are some impressions/suggestions based on a just a little bit of play:

-Aiming seems like it has not much aim assist, but I'll just have to get used to it the more I play. It seems very 'loose' and I toggled 'Aim Acceleration' off to see how I felt about it and I didn't care for it off. I'll have to keep trying it both on and off. Maybe I'll lower my sensitivity from default.

-Matches so far have been pretty chaotic with things happening all over and the maps seem to have a decent flow.

-Sometimes I seem to die really quickly at full health, and other times I seem to die at a more 'normal' rate. I'm guessing people have just landed some headshots and it's difficult to tell sometimes.

-I've only really used the Bullseye and the Carbine so far, but the actual shooting feels pretty good to me. I picked up Marksman once, and it definitely seems pretty powerful especially if you land headshots.

-Everytime I've been killed there's been a slight delay which is pretty annoying, and simultaneous kills are pretty common too.

-I think in the retail release there should be a separate 'Beginners Playlist' or something, that way people just starting R3 aren't overwhelmed by all the upper level guys who have unlocked tons of things and know how all the different abilities/items work. Maybe only allow ranks 1-15 to play in the Beginners Playlist. This will allow new players to get used to the mechanics and items and keep the upper level, experienced players from beating up on them. You could force lower levels into that playlist, but once they've 'Graduated', then they move into the actual playlists and lock them out of the beginners playlist.

Overall, I've enjoyed it even though I've gotten my ass kicked so far. I'll have to put a lot more playtime in so I can give more thoughts/suggestions.

thuway

Y2Kev said:
Prolly couldn't ever happen if they're all about alpha effects. RSX budget gpu can't do that.

It's an ill-advised strategy, IMO, just because it's so noticeable. But really no one cares that much in the actual mainstream.
True enough, I have to say one thing though- the art direction is remarkable. There are very few games that impress me when it comes to art - Kirby's Epic Yarn, Uncharted 2,- but this game really makes you feel like shit, but in a good way :).

Loudninja

thuway said:
True enough, I have to say one thing though- the art direction is remarkable. There are very few games that impress me when it comes to art - Kirby's Epic Yarn, Uncharted 2,- but this game really makes you feel like shit, but in a good way :).
Haha that is a really good way to describe it.

According to DF, Resistance 3 is running @960x704 with QAA. Is this for real? I'm getting 2006 era 3rd party ports flashbacks. I can't wait to try the game, but IQ sounds hideously bad.

Y2Kev

Lagspike_exe said:
According to DF, Resistance 3 is running @960x704 with QAA. Is this for real? I'm getting 2006 era 3rd party ports flashbacks. I can't wait to try the game, but IQ sounds hideously bad.
It's like what cod7 looks like on ps3.

JB1981

The game would look really nice if it wasn't so blurry, particularly when you are sprinting. This is the worst implementation of first-person sprint I've ever seen. Why is the ENTIRE FUCKING SCREEN blurred? It's not even just blur it's like the whole damn screen warps and the FOV shrinks. Change it please!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I didn't know where else to put this, and sorry if old:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resistance-3

The engine upgrades work on many levels. While the destruction isn't on the same level as Battlefield, the set-pieces can be quite sensational and the impact of weaponry on the surroundings is particularly pleasing. It's clear that the range of visual upgrades have taken a toll on resolution, but Resistance 3 works well in that its environments are rich in detail, beautifully lit and - while it may not sound so much like a compliment - very visually consistent in terms of light and shadow, giving an excellent sense of immersion in the blasted game world. In this sense, the parallels with Metro 2033 are palpable. Insomniac has done such a good job in creating this desolate, post-invasion wasteland that there's actually an odd juxtaposition between the gruelling bleakness of the environments and the sheer amount of enjoyment you experience while traversing them.

VanWinkle

JB1981 said:
The game would look really nice if it wasn't so blurry, particularly when you are sprinting. This is the worst implementation of first-person sprint I've ever seen. Why is the ENTIRE F***ING SCREEN blurred? It's not even just blur it's like the whole d*** screen warps and the FOV shrinks. Change it please!

I like it. Doesn't hinder the gameplay whatsoever for me. I can see everything fine.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I can't wait to get online and start playing with you guys and dealing out death. Hopefully mr. Stevenson gets me a code if so my brother is going to be so jealous we're resistance crack whores lol! He loves the online of two but I preferred the controlled chaos of from so much more. Well here's hoping I get a code

woolley

Mulitplayer feels really boring to me and I don't see why someone would choose to play it over any other game, there's just nothing unique about it.

And I think something really needs to be done about the leapers. For being basically a reward for dieing they are way too strong.

gogogow

VanWinkle said:
I like it. Doesn't hinder the gameplay whatsoever for me. I can see everything fine.
It also add absolutely nothing to the gameplay. The game is already very blurry, why add another layer on top?! The fact that there are complaints and IG are discussing it means IG acknowledges it as a "problem".

Kambing

Trying to add some gaffers to my friends list so i can join the GAF team for resistance 3. My PSN name is: Kesucian

Thrakier

gogogow said:
It also add absolutely nothing to the gameplay. The game is already very blurry, why add another layer on top?! The fact that there are complaints and IG are discussing it means IG acknowledges it as a "problem".

Motion blur is a good thing though it's overdone here. It's like...hey guyz, motion blur is working, now let's turn it up to 110%!!! I don't know...they really should've never gone the lowres way and just should have focused on better and clever art direction if they don't get the tec right. I still prefer the look of the very first resistance, I think that says it all.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Quincunx AA looks okay in games that are sharp to begin with (Killzone 2, also with its godly motion blur), but R3 is already blurry from the low res. Add the blurring QAA to the already blurry picture, then throw in some motion blur and my eyes are bleeding.

Y2Kev

Eyes don't bleed from super soft images! They should just glaze over and become vestigial.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
There's no feedback from getting shot, it is like R2 all over again

Usually, you hear bullets or the bullet trails of and given an indication/direction of being fired from
It is so goddamn random, I will just fall over and die, and I'll be like WTF killed me?...Oh a Marksman, why didn't I receive feedback of the triple burst fire on my character, so I know oh shit get to cover
Guns sounds are OK, but feeling said bullets is atrocious. Just like R2 and the carbine as a Pea Shooter, on your end it feels strong, but it's all a lie =/

All I know is, I will be running, 3 seconds later death lag occurs, I die, 4 seconds of ugly respawn video of 3rd person action, why show me what the guy is doing after he kills me, isn't the point of the kill-cam to show you how you died?

Also spawn camping...Really!?!...please take a look @ how GG and KillZone at least stopped that from happening
I mean the train yard map, the team that drops through the 2 holes from the second floor is in such a clusterfuck area
Drop down, people shooting from the right on the stairs leading to the connected buildings, or on the left camping on that deck with the water tower, they have such a huge advantage + protection, you have to aim for a headshot to kill them
While the other team gets to spawn nicely behind the warehouse, with so much cover and easily advance up
Whichever team gets spawned on the second floor and has to drop down = fucked, most of the battle takes place there, maybe 50 feet away from spawn point

JB1981

Chain Reaction is pretty stale. It consists of running across an open field with buildings. Inside those buildings or a covered bridge are beacons. You run to grab the beacon. Usually this culminates in two teams fighting over a very small space inside a bombed-out house. There is no destructability like Battlefield so you are forced into non-destructible environments in very close quarters and the game mechanics kind of get in your way. It's very bad multiplayer game design.

Also it's very laggy right now. When I run over a weapon pick-up there is about a 3 second delay

Also, I find the MP to be far more similar to R2 playstyle, speed, movement and map design with than with the original.

Norml

I thought the graphics were pretty terrible.The drop in resolution sucks,but what kills it for me is nothing is really gained for it,the maps are smaller than ever with absolutely nothing that can be destroyed or move at all.

alr1ght

shidoshi said:
Also - not directed at R3, but FPS games on consoles in general - whomever was first to put sprint on the L3 button needs to be slapped. UGH WHY SUCH A STUPID IDEA?!

L3 is fine on the DS3, not so much on the 360 pad (due to the angle on the thumb).

KAL2006

Banned
Not liking the sound of these impressions, I knew this game wouldn't be so hot, I skipped R2, I may pick this game up used for £10 just to have a go at the campaign mode, then resell the game. I also did this with Killzone 3. So it looks like it's going to be about Uncharted 3 and Twisted Metal for my multiplayer fix on PS3 this year.

thuway

KAL2006 said:
Not liking the sound of these impressions, I knew this game wouldn't be so hot, I skipped R2, I may pick this game up used for £10 just to have a go at the campaign mode, then resell the game. I also did this with Killzone 3. So it looks like it's going to be about Uncharted 3 and Twisted Metal for my multiplayer fix on PS3 this year.
Are you basing your opinion on the criticism we have on the visuals?

The gameplay in this game is ROCK solid. Its super fun, its a little chaotic, and it is the Resistance Ethos that the original game had.

The same people here that bashed Killzone 3 have good things to say about this gameplay.

Facism

Love the Rossmore. Love love love love love love love it.

Motion blur when you sprint literally makes me feel uncomfortable.

From the little I played, I too think it's better than Resistance 2's pure chaos multiplayer, even though I didn't play it nearly as much as I did the first game. Still, I think even though they pulled the numbers back to 8v8 it's still a very chaotic multiplayer with a lot of different things happening all over the map. They lowered the player count, yet upped the different items/abilities... I think if there's a barebones playlist, then it could be lots of fun.

I also think this game would play better if it was a pickup based game like Halo and the first Resistance, even though it'd sort of go against the whole player progression system they have in place with the weapons. Maybe limit the starting weapons to either the Bullseye or the Carbine, and have everything else as pickups scattered around the map.

alr1ght

thuway said:
The gameplay in this game is ROCK solid. Its super fun, its a little chaotic, and it is the Resistance Ethos that the original game had.

The same people here that bashed Killzone 3 have good things to say about this gameplay.

not me. there is really nothing satisfying about using any of the weapons (however, every Resistance has been like that). I have yet to use the rossmore.

Twinduct

KAL2006 said:

Not really. There is a shit load of nitpicking going on atm. But the only thing that is truly glaring is the MB that is distorting the screen and the general blurry nature of the game.

I would advise you to wait before making the decision to skip. They just pushed through their first patch, wait for the impressions of end August, it will really be the only valid ones against the gold release.

Loudninja

thuway said:
Are you basing your opinion on the criticism we have on the visuals?

Yep alot of issues need patching but I am loving it.

JB1981

Twinduct said:
Not really. There is a shit load of nitpicking going on atm. But the only thing that is truly glaring is the MB that is distorting the screen and the general blurry nature of the game.

I would advise you to wait before making the decision to skip. They just pushed through their first patch, wait for the impressions of end August, it will really be the only valid ones against the gold release.

Like what?

Loudninja

My favorite weapons so far are the rossmore and the carbine.The bayonet on the carbine is so fun to use.

Edit: For chain reaction you need good teams, so I recommend you play in a GAF group.

Massa

It seems that people complaining about the motion blur actually have a problem with the screen wobblying when you run, not necessarilly the motion blur.

Please don't cut the motion blur. :(

Y2Kev said:
It's like what cod7 looks like on ps3.

Cod7 looks much worse, it's running at 75% the resolution and lacks most of the effects.

JB1981

Massa said:
It seems that people complaining about the motion blur actually have a problem with the screen wobblying when you run, not necessarilly the motion blur.

Please don't cut the motion blur. :(

Cod7 looks much worse, it's running at 75% the resolution and lacks most of the effects.

But has higher framerate and is more responsive, which is what matters in multiplayer.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
KAL2006 said:

Why not play it for yourself and form an opinion of your own as opposed to taking what few have to sayI negatively as law? No one here shares tue same mind as you. You shouldn't be so quick to write off a game that's still in development and you haven't played, it doesn't seem like the smartest thing in the world to do but then again if you truly want to hold onto your belief by all means go ahead. Figure I'd try to encourage you to not miss out on what signs show to be a potentially amazing game. Im out!

After a few more games, I'm still enjoying it, but I have a few complaints.

1.) Leapers everywhere on the map constantly sapping my health is extremely aggravating, especially in the middle of a shootout with another player. I think it may actually be more annoying than Martyrdom from COD4 due to the sheer frequency of leapers right now.

2.) Close quarters combat is extremely janky/jerky for me. I know CQC in most FPS games isn't that great, but when it seems like when I get close to another player, we both start jerking around and the framerate seems to chug. It's almost sort of funny to try and see both of us running in circles trying to melee each other.

3.) Body Armor is obnoxious. I don't know if there's a designating look to people wearing it, but you find out quickly when you get killed by someone who's running it. When a direct 40mm from the Carbine only removes like a quarter of the body armor wearing opponent's health, I start to get a little frustrated. Maybe headshots still kill as quickly?

4.) Snipers hiding in the back getting easy kills is annoying in any shooter, but so far in this game I seem to get picked off quite frequently. I think it might be because there's always so much happening on screen around me that I don't notice when I'm being shot at by an enemy sniper. I personally haven't used the Deadeye yet, so maybe it's tricky to use and I've just been up against some guys who can wield it well.

I watched the Gamespot multiplayer preview the other day and they were talking about how they didn't want the snowball effect to happen, where getting a Killstreak just leads to more and more destruction for the other team. Well, once you hit the Auger, you're almost unstoppable I think. I know I was easily on a twelve killing spree after netting the Auger and then quickly getting the Power Armor.

Maybe they should make it so you get more experience for killing a player with a berserk equipped, and the better the berserk, the more XP rewarded.

I think they should also put waypoints over the Berserk players head depending on the Berserk being used. For Tier 1, maybe no waypoint at all since the shield is easily visable/counterable with EMP and a waypoint would totally defeat the point of Cloaking. But for the Auger Berserk maybe have one Star over the players head, and for the Power Armor and Chimera equivalent have three stars and an easily identifiable blip on the radar.

These are just my thoughts from about an hour and a half of play. Hopefully I have more positive things to say after a little more play time.

Top Bottom