• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

Mmmkay

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6156671

Resistance: Fall of Man, from Southern California-based developer Insomniac, is an upcoming first-person shooter that's arguably the most scrutinized PlayStation 3 launch title. The game has garnered a fair share of attention after being one of the first games to be shown running on the PlayStation 3 at this year's Game Developers Conference. A positive showing at the Electronic Entertainment Expo continued to raise the game's profile, as word spread that the Ratchet and Clank developer was cooking up a tight first-person experience. However, despite the aforementioned showings, we've been anxious to find out more on the game, as info on its story, arsenal of weapons, and gameplay have been deliberately spare. After a visit to Insomniac's Burbank offices, we've finally had the chance to see what's going on with the promising title firsthand, thanks to some time spent with a work-in-progress version of the game.

From what we've seen and heard, Resistance's story is shaping up to be one part X Files, one part Marvel Comics What If? (or for DC aficionados, Elseworlds), and one part Saving Private Ryan. The tale will unfold via the aforementioned cinematics, which will blend hi-res still art with traditional in-engine cinemas, all of which is tied together by Rachel's narrative. The end result in what we saw at Insomniac is a very moody, stylistic approach that helped set the game's unsettling tone. The game's story will also unfold in smaller ways, such as through radio messages you will receive as you play.

Rody

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

928399_20060828_screen001.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sounds somewhat unique for once,

Honestly I think this is going to turn out far better then many expect.

Of course, I think very highly of insomniac, so that could be why.

Chittagong

Gold Member
HOT HOT HOT

This played great in E3 already. If that's a screen, it's looking better than ever. Best ingame helmets ever?

Mrbob

Holy balls.

Forget the comments I just posted in the PS3 downgraded thread.

GOTY (assuming Crackdown is now 2007).

Biggest FPS to come out in nearly two years. Gonna be huge.

Mmmkay

Residents of the UK will likely recognize some familiar urban and rural locales (albeit slightly worse for wear due to the alien invasion). Residents of Grimsby may not be able to tell the difference, however.
Hahahaha, you've probably never been to Grimsby, but that's a pretty spot on thing to say!

Dunpeal said:
928399_20060828_screen003.jpg

Wtf, i thought they said we were going to see upgrades to the graphics?

It's doubtful that this is the build they're talking about as it looks like mags will get the first shot at showing that off.

hyp

that's very impressive, and sounds promising... if sony has a successful PS3 showing at TGS, i might be $600 'broker' this winter. ****.

Rody said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

uh... textures still look low res and the soldier torso/arm looks low poly. not saying it doesnt look better than the 360 launch FPS games, but im still not terribly impressed. helmet looks so much better in contrast. fire also looks good, but those texures are really bothersome.

Dunpeal

Banned
meltpotato said:
uh... textures still look low res and the soldier torso/arm looks low poly. not saying it doesnt look better than the 360 launch FPS games, but im still not terribly impressed. helmet looks so much better in contrast. fire also looks good, but those texures are really bothersome.

And in other screen look at the well blocky ground where the guy is standing (top right), thats almost quake 3 goddamm.

I dunno, maybe i'm just stupid, i think the game looks pretty fun anyway, call of duty meets War of the worlds, thats some fun shit no matter what.

Dante

For a launch game that looks pretty freakin impressive. I mean put up against 360 flagship launch FPS it pretty much blows it outta the water visually.

jjasper

Dante said:
For a launch game that looks pretty freakin impressive. I mean put up against 360 flagship launch FPS it pretty much blows it outta the water visually.

Why do People keep saying launch FPS?It looks better than any 360 FPS at this point, where gameplay has been show.

Ok why are some people freaking out of this screenshot? The only thing REALLY impressive is the mesh on the helmet..everything is pretty much what we can get on a pc or xbox 360..i dont get it.

Not trying to ruin the parade around here but come on...i dont see really anything like GOTY and other non-sense some people seem to be shouting out all a sudden

Pimpwerx

meltpotato said:
You wouldn't believe it, but the whole game is covered in that blurry ground texture, true story. PEACE.

Dante said:

Well wouldn't it be assumed that it would be well beyond? this is a year later and Resistance was one of the first PS3 games to really show anything (seems ages ago) I'm not saying its a total shit tanker, but i'm not as impressed as other people i guess. I really hoped we'd get away from blurry low-res textures with nextgen, and that goes for the 360 as well. At least it sounds like they are trying for some decent mix-ups in gameplay

i'm not going to draw any direct comparisons, but i really don't think Resistance is currently delivering what it needs to. i mean isnt this suppose to be trying to win over FPS players from the 360, as FPS certainly wasn't ever the appeal of the PlayStation in the past.

Woo they fixed the hit animation that was a big problem in the E3 version. The footage in the interview looks very nice. Even a scene where they blow up that mech.

Speevy

Banned
Would someone either rehost these or direct me to an alternate site? This stupid computer won't view Gamespot images.

jjasper

meltpotato said:
i'm not going to draw any direct comparisons, but i really don't think Resistance is currently delivering what it needs to. i mean isnt this suppose to be trying to win over FPS players from the 360, as FPS certainly wasn't ever the appeal of the PlayStation in the past.

I don't know what to say but that at this point PS3 looks to be stronger than 360 in the FPS area, and Resistance looks better than any playable 360 FPS shown to date.

Speevy

Banned
jjasper said:
I don't know what to say but that at this point PS3 looks to be stronger than 360 in the FPS area.

How do you figure that? There are at least as many if not more 360 FPS games announced and released.

Keep this thread on topic.

Dunpeal

Banned
jjasper said:
I don't know what to say but that at this point PS3 looks to be stronger than 360 in the FPS area, and Resistance looks better than any playable 360 FPS shown to date.

I think COD3 looks better than Resistence, and hell Brother in Arms looks way better than Resistence, and Rainbow six Vegas shits on Resistence, and they are all Ps3 games and 360 games. Sorry if i'm not seeing the big picture here.

PhatSaqs

Banned
jjasper said:
apples to oranges FTW!

Hmm. After DLing and viewing the vid, i'm less sold now than I was before : |

jjasper

Speevy said:
How do you figure that? There are at least as many if not more 360 FPS games announced and released.

Keep this thread on topic.

Don't know whether to answer or not because you told me to keep on topic (which I want to) I just can't think of that many exculsive FPS's that have been shown, the expanded multiplatfrom nature seems to have hurt the 360 is this reguard. Resistance looks better than any 360 exculsive FPS we have seen so far.

Back to the topic, this will be a day one purchase the weapons look so unique and the story seems like it will be good but I hope people don't expect this to be a halo type title.

acousticvan said:
I just watched the video.
The game speed is so fast.

Yep that's another change since E3. At E3 it seemed like it moved like alot of other FPS, while in these videos everything is moving around very quickly. I hope IGN puts up a video soon because GSpots servers are garbage.

Striek

Certainly an upgrade but Resistance is never going to be a looker. Call of Duty 3 retains its FPS graphics crown.

Of course, the actual game sounds fantastic, but it seems no one is bothering to read the preview..

Foil

Looks good, but other upcoming shooters are just as visually impressive, with a handful of them that look better than Resistance. I'm not seeing what people here are freaking out over.

Speevy

Banned
Don't know whether to answer or not because you told me to keep on topic (which I want to) I just can't think of that many exculsive FPS's that have been shown, the expanded multiplatfrom nature seems to have hurt the 360 is this reguard. Resistance looks better than any 360 exculsive FPS we have seen so far.

You're not talking about the graphics, are you? You said the PS3 has the genre better covered. It does not.

jjasper

Speevy said:
You're not talking about the graphics, are you? You said the PS3 has the genre better covered. It does not.

I am and gameplay, not numbers I guess I should have made that more clear.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
meltpotato said:

You are what's wrong with gaming. You're focusing on the freaking textures??!!!

CMON D00D. That looks like wet sexx with evangeline lilly. HOT.

I just watched the video as well, the game looks great. It's hard to rank it without a HD direct feed though, but I think it looks just as good as the other console FPS heavyweights from what I could tell.

Mrbob

That video is awesome.

What you can't see in the screenshots are the particle effects going on in the background. Amazing.

The setting is going to be awesome too. Looks so fun in motion.

Top Bottom