• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wollan said:
40 x 300MB full loads(12GB) + additional streaming level material. Pretty hefty for just levels.

I said wow. How long will this game be?

Wollan

Nonono, that's not only multiplayer maps. It's all big loads in the game including multiplayer maps. So for all levels both singleplayer and multiplayer it's 12GB + even more level content for mid level streaming.

Regarding multiplayer maps, there will be 4 big ones that support 40 players and several others for smaller amounts of players(on the disc, probably more coming for microtransactions most likely).
And regarding singleplayer there will be 12 epic large levels.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Stiek,

Let's be clear here: you're calling Insomniac liars. They gave a straightforward explanation for why they didn't include vehicles in MP and you're saying the reason is something else entirely.

I know it's en vogue at the moment to accuse anyone associated with the PS3 of being liars but Insomniac has no reputation for misleading gamers and you have no evidence to the contrary. When Insomniac has been unable to include features in their past games due to time constraints, they've said as much openly. For examples of this, check out the Insomniac Museums included in the 2nd and 3rd Ratchet and Clank games which highlight several examples of features they had to omit, some which they plainly explain were due to time constraints.

Just because you think vehicles are necessary in MP doesn't mean that the only reason they could have possibly omitted it is because of time constraints. There are plenty of reasons why features get cut from games and your quick and dirty attempt to nullify the reason they gave in this case is no substitute for the extensive testing they performed to back it up.

J-Rzez

Seriously... Insomniac has had vehicles in the past in their online games... so, isn't it obvious if they wanted to, they could do it?

Sure... if they had more time, they could do vehicles... you know, change their whole outlook and vision of what they wanted to do for the online game... just to appease a few ppl out there... :lol

It's not broken just because it doesn't have a feature you don't want... otherwise, I'm done gaming... because 99.8% of games out there are "broken" to me...

And I fully agree with who said vehicles have been ruining FPS games... I really have to agree on that one... you give too much room, it takes forever to find someone... you don't have enough room, things turn into one big cluster-f***, they get in the way of not only the enemy, but also your team...

If they wanted to, they could do it anytime, anyplace... Insomniac isn't some kinda new dev-house or something here... they've been around a long time... AND they've created ALOT of AWESOME-FUN games... THEY KNOW what they're DOING...

I hope Sony does just drop the huge bank and buy these guys... they're great... but hey, what's not broken, don't fix... things seem to be going just fine, which is awesome......

and Dare I say it... perhaps this finally is Teh-Killar-of-Teh-Halo? (or Gaylo like my friend calls it... but he's an idiot, and just sucks at it... I like it... I'm sure H3 will be spectacular though!)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
kaching said:
Stiek,

Let's be clear here: you're calling Insomniac liars. They gave a straightforward explanation for why they didn't include vehicles in MP and you're saying the reason is something else entirely.

I know it's en vogue at the moment to accuse anyone associated with the PS3 of being liars but Insomniac has no reputation for misleading gamers and you have no evidence to the contrary. When Insomniac has been unable to include features in their past games due to time constraints, they've said as much openly. For examples of this, check out the Insomniac Museums included in the 2nd and 3rd Ratchet and Clank games which highlight several examples of features they had to omit, some which they plainly explain were due to time constraints.

Just because you think vehicles are necessary in MP doesn't mean that the only reason they could have possibly omitted it is because of time constraints. There are plenty of reasons why features get cut from games and your quick and dirty attempt to nullify the reason they gave in this case is no substitute for the extensive testing they performed to back it up.

*crickets*

Drek

Wasn't their supposed to be new Resistance info today? When do those somethings I forgot about (and saved to my HDD, HURHUR) get officially released?

Wollan

Remember the E3 2005 demo? Remember the player fighting gasmasked humans? Sounds like they aren't entirely out, sounds kinda interesting too:

Dodger @ official forum said:
In the demo we showed at E3 -- it was all human players. The bad-guys were from a faction called the "Cloven" -- a group of Chimeran Sympathizers that we talk about in the Single Player game. We didn't release a ton of info about it, but you'll be hearing more about them and their role in the Multiplayer game as we get closer to launch.

I guess there will be multiplayer modes that has humans on both sides then.

Also, isn't 1up supposed to have a big article about Resistance today?

Safe Bet

Banned
Striek said:
Edit; I didn't know there was no vehicles in multiplayer. Thats lame and so is the excuse.
I disagree...

Adding vehicles to SOCOM 3 basically ruined the series because it forced the developers to re-design the maps in a way the fan-base did not enjoy.

It basically changed the entire way the game was played and I and many others were not pleased in the least.

I would much rather have frantic firefights every few minutes than be forced to drive around the entire game looking for a bad guy (unless I am playing a pure vehicle-based game of course).

Manp

J-Rzez said:
Seriously... Insomniac has had vehicles in the past in their online games... so, isn't it obvious if they wanted to, they could do it?

Sure... if they had more time, they could do vehicles... you know, change their whole outlook and vision of what they wanted to do for the online game... just to appease a few ppl out there... :lol

so, there aren't vehicles in MP because they want fast paced action and that's only possible in small maps

ok, i mean, there's like 40 MP maps? how hard can it be to make a couple of very big and flat levels out of those 40 maps and allow vehicles?

people who want vehicles will be happy, and so will be people who want small levels and fast paced action

:)

GhaleonEB

Wollan said:
Nonono, that's not only multiplayer maps. It's all big loads in the game including multiplayer maps. So for all levels both singleplayer and multiplayer it's 12GB + even more level content for mid level streaming.

Regarding multiplayer maps, there will be 4 big ones that support 40 players and several others for smaller amounts of players(on the disc, probably more coming for microtransactions most likely).
And regarding singleplayer there will be 12 epic large levels.
But will they be big?

They got a new article at 1UP. Good info on the multi-player and story mode sounds like its shaping up really well.

Single-player, in a word, is chaos. From the massive number of enemies fighting you at any given time to the building-tall size of some of their contraptions, playing often feels overwhelming and makes you want to take cover. The game doesn't take things as far as a Gears of War where the idea is to take cover religiously, but with the hefty number of enemies around, cover still needs to be a vital part of your approach.

In the vehicle-based level we saw (Shattered Gorge), the game shifts to a grassy wide open outdoor area with stone vistas in the distance and mountains all around -- somewhat like the outdoor areas in GUN but with a supremely impressive draw distance and a shocking sense of scale. The draw distance here provided the single most impressive example of the tech behind the game we saw all day.

Lots more... http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3153548

Couple new pics. When I saw the E3 '06 build I wasn't overly keen on Insom's art style/color pallete for this one but the more I see the more I'm digging the whole atmosphere they're going for. Even those ugly ass grunts are growing on me... well, almost.
Resistance_FOM_02.jpg

Resistance_FOM_01.jpg

Resistance_FOM_03.jpg

Resistance_FOM_04.jpg

Wollan

I want to see some screens from Shattered Gorge like right now.

Some small nuances in that preview that reveals a bit more info. Like how the Chimera pull their head really low in rage mode(which prevents headshots from behind), that you don't actually learn the Chimerian language in singleplayer among other things.

Edit: Oh.. and not least... Flamethrowers!!!

Apparently Sony's still gaurding alot of the footage

binaryburrito posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will say that Insomniac let us play A LOT more of the game than we were able to show... they gave us very little footage. but there's some crazy stuff in there. one of the stages was giant and open-ended -- visually, the environments looked like a cross between halo and shadow of the colossus. and you roll around in a jeep with an allied squad taking out various encampments... totally halo style. and some of the other stages are much more visually impressive than those in the footage they gave us.

and they didn't give us any footage of the standard 40 person multiplayer... and it's pretty excellent. also, you can't really get a feel for how awesome the weapons are from that footage. wait until you see the rocket launcher that allows you to stop your rockets in midair (with a secondary fire that shoots tiny rockets out of the main rocket... and they can also be stopped and started again in midair...) or the crazy goo gun.

anyway, i know some people are totally excited by the footage in the show today, and that's cool. when i received the footage from sony, i was disappointed, because what we ACTUALLY saw and played was so much cooler.

so take that for what it's worth.

Ok, it's been like two freaking weeks since that "Major Resistance Event". Can Sony yank the damn embargo out already? Well since next week is going to be the big build up for TGS, I have decent hopes that this new hands on and media blowout for Resistance should happen this week.

And the new screens and preview were great. I'm glad they're also catering to those who want to play a smaller game. Breach sounds like it could be my favorite, I hope the other modes also have some creativity like meltdown and breach.

Yoboman

Rice-Eater said:
Ok, it's been like two freaking weeks since that "Major Resistance Event". Can Sony yank the damn embargo out already? Well since next week is going to be the big build up for TGS, I have decent hopes that this new hands on and media blowout for Resistance should happen this week.
...It just did. I wouldn't expect anything more till TGS at least

Kangu

Banned
Wollan said:
I want to see some screens from Shattered Gorge like right now.

Some small nuances in that preview that reveals a bit more info. Like how the Chimera pull their head really low in rage mode(which prevents headshots from behind), that you don't actually learn the Chimerian language in singleplayer among other things.

Edit: Oh.. and not least... Flamethrowers!!!

Was it referring specifically to rage mode? I thought it was all the time, which would be bullshit in terms of balance.

Yoboman said:
...It just did. I wouldn't expect anything more till TGS at least

If you're referring to the 1UP or Gamespot stuff, neither were from the supposed Resistance event that took place on August 29th. Jeremy Dunham(IGNPS3 Editor) confirmed this. So hands on and media from this "Resistnance Event" is still under embargo. Like I said, I guess it will be showned either this week or early next week since TGS is next next weekend.

Yoboman

Rice-Eater said:
If you're referring to the 1UP or Gamespot stuff, neither were from the supposed Resistance event that took place on August 29th. Jeremy Dunham(IGNPS3 Editor) confirmed this. So hands on and media from this "Resistnance Event" is still under embargo. Like I said, I guess it will be showned either this week or early next week since TGS is next next weekend.
Really? I never heard of this till right now. Interesting :D

BuddyC

Rice-Eater said:
Bingo.

fse

Kittonwy said:
Why the **** are they going for 1080p at this point? That's just silly.
Indifferent2.gif

I thought ted price said its 720p?

opps wrong tab :eek:
and its old :|
damn lack of sleep.

Top Bottom