• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man screenshots (PS3) *56K run forrest run*

Chiggs

Amir0x said:
yeah Call of Duty 2 was "locked" at 60fps the same way Shadow of the Colossus was "locked" at 30fps.

At least Shadow of the Colossus had an excuse with the hardware it was running on.

Chiggs said:
At least Shadow of the Colossus had an excuse with the hardware it was running on.

The developers designed it for a different one? (Because, I mean, that's the only valid "excuse" if you're expecting it to be standard on any console a game is developed for. I'm sure percentage wise, they're using similar amounts of their hardware's capabilities.)

Chiggs

BenjaminBirdie said:
The developers designed it for a different one? (Because, I mean, that's the only valid "excuse" if you're expecting it to be standard on any console a game is developed for.

I was just trying to say that the game was very ambitious with it's graphics considering the platform it was on--much more so than CoD2 on the 360.

I'm sure percentage wise, they're using similar amounts of their hardware's capabilities.

I'm not so sure about that.

mikeGFG

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Okay, few things:

1. CoD2 was designed on the 360. It is not a PC port. Of that I am almost certain.
2. It was rarely a consistent 60 FPS, and the 60 FPS crew (WHERE ARE YOU Dark10x?!) will back me up on that

And this still looks better than CoD anyway.

Yeah it looks lightyears ahead of CoD2. But I'm just saying comparing Resistance screens to an almost year old, cross-developed (i'd still consider it a port) PC/360 game, running at 60fps seems skewed.

CoD2 360 development was done in-house. Resources must have been taken away from the project as a whole, to get it running well on two different platforms. And I'd imagine the game would be looking a lot better as a console exclusive title.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BenjaminBirdie said:
The developers designed it for a different one? (Because, I mean, that's the only valid "excuse" if you're expecting it to be standard on any console a game is developed for. I'm sure percentage wise, they're using similar amounts of their hardware's capabilities.)

I give SotC a break because any scaling-back of the vision of Ueda and his team would have severely hampered the product. SotC was a game with an aesthetic value that transcended what I saw on the surface. The game, to me, can almost be considered a piece of minimalist art or a statement on the genre.

I don't feel the same way about CoD2, which is why the visuals are more important and they SHOULD be more important to Resistance-- and I am not satisfied.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mike G.E.D. is that picture some concept artwork for Halo 3? Does anyone have high res version of that? PM me the link to avoid further off topic.

Amir0x

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm sure percentage wise, they're using similar amounts of their hardware's capabilities.

Gears of War might be using, percentage wise, similar amounts of hardware capabilities. Halo 3, perhaps, might be using similar amount percentage wise.

Call of Duty 2 is not using even close to a similar amount percentage wise :p

BenjaminBirdie said:

Are you talking about SoTC? As technically it's one of the best on the PS3. You can read a good run down of what they were doing with the game

http://www.dyingduck.com/sotc/making_of_sotc.html

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

http://videogamerx.gamedonga.co.kr/bbs/view.php?id=usernews&no=8306

the game needs a grainy filter and motion blur as seen in the artwork.

Amir0x

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Are you talking about SoTC? As technically it's one of the best on the PS3. You can read a good run down of what they were doing with the game

Holy shit, Shadow of the Colossus represents some of the best PS3 can do technically? Man, Sony is so ****ed...

jett

D-Member
The concept art is great. I wonder what's up with Insomniac. The R&C games aren't exactly lookers, but they aren't bad looking either.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I was one of those people who even loved the game before E3, but then at E3 it looked even better and everyone loved it. What happened now? :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jj984jj said:
I was one of those people who even loved the game before E3, but then at E3 it looked even better and everyone loved it. What happened now? :(
Wait, wha? You were one of the people who saw the earlier footage of the game and think this looks worse?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BenjaminBirdie said:
Totally off base...

SotC pushed the PS2 in ways that people never anticipated. Faux-HDR lighting and tone mapping, complex shadow system, vertex shadeded grass/fur, inverse kinematics based animation system, and so much more. The PS2 was hitting its limits here.

CoD2, however, was completely different. The game barely even scratches what the 360 can do (it uses a modified Quake 3 engine for shits sake). Any performance issues here are the direct result of the programming. The 360 is capable of FAR more than CoD2.

Zer0

Banned
Nozi said:
Nice, not only do you find the worst screenshot you can, it clearly says 'pre release demo' in the top right. Your trolling is horribly transparent.

Btw, we're not comparing gameplay shots.. you think resistance plays like the shots above? :lol

sorry dude as much i love cod2 ( perfect achivement score) COD2 on 360 have some horrible textures on some parts

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zer0 said:
sorry dude as much i love cod2 ( perfect achivement score) COD2 on 360 have some horrible textures on some parts
Yes it does. Most of the textures really aren't high resolution at all, but the game relies heavily on detail maps to prevent this from becoming as large of an issue as it could have.

Aaron

jj984jj said:
I was right, and they were wrong. :D

Resistance was one of those games that I played at E3, and just walked away from without it leaving much of a deep impression in my brain. It looked well enough and played well enough, but it wasn't striking in either way like Gears of War was. I expect it to be released and forgotten until the inevitable sequel. I'd say it's the Timesplitters of the PS3, but it's a better game than TS was.

JCBossman

Banned
They must have traveled at least (10's of light years) just to be saddled with 1940's weapon tech? they do deserve to die!:) :lol :D

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
yeah Call of Duty 2 was "locked" at 60fps the same way Shadow of the Colossus was "locked" at 10fps.

Fixed.

I'm not bothered by frame rate much, but SoTC had one of the worst gaming frame rates I've ever played and it bothered me so much I couldn't finish the game.

Top Bottom