• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolution doesn't sell games, says Far Cry 4 dev

Resolutions don't make me buy games. All resolution talk does is cause people to attack one platform, or defend it. It's boring.

It almost seems like people care more about resolution than gameplay these days.

With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen. I don't know the exact numbers, but it starts to get a little crazy. I'm just in it for the experience, I'll play a SNES game if it's cool.

Cool, then stop blowing millions of dollars and start making SNES looking games. You know it's one thing to admit that the mass market couldn't give two shits about 900p and 1080p which is completely correct, but the disingenuous way these people are going about it is what is disgusting.

K.Sabot

Advertisers could make resolution sell games if they wanted to.

They'd just need something to punch down on, and publishers would rather they not punch down on an inferior version of their own game.

Percy

Banned
OXM you say? lol

While this is likely true for most people, better IQ can certainly be a big deal to a lot of people. I know I wouldn't pay for a sub-HD game on home consoles at this point for example.

People may not always know the technical terminologies….but those people do care what "looks" better to them, esp when you are buying a new console.

Of course it does not. The problem is really developers feeling the need to defend their design choices and they say stupid things. In the end, it is all about gameplay. If resolution or frame rate dampens gameplay, then it is an issue.

Wereroku

Resolutions don't make me buy games. All resolution talk does is cause people to attack one platform, or defend it. It's boring.

It almost seems like people care more about resolution than gameplay these days.

It is important when talking about platforms. If one is better than the other it's a selling point. It leads to wars a lot but that doesn't mean it's unimportant.

Handy Fake

Cool, then stop blowing millions of dollars and start making SNES looking games.

Hehe. Was thinking the same thing. It's all very good saying "resolution doesn't matter", "frames per second don't matter" etc., "as long as it's fun", then why the Hell are people paying good money for the latest systems? :D

QaaQer

Cool, then stop blowing millions of dollars and start making SNES looking games.

Why aren't people still playing 480i games? And once VR hits, you bet resolution is going to sell games.

But then again, this is ubisoft, who think what sells games is marketing budget and angry threatening young men on box art. Actually, they do have a point.

NickFire

I am so confused. If resolution really does not matter, then why don't the publishers just say what the resolutions are for each system, and then never explain or justify why that is the case? And why would MS bother helping Bungie get the resolution up?

Advertisers could make resolution sell games if they wanted to.

They'd just need something to punch down on, and publishers would rather they not punch down on an inferior version of their own game.

There's no way you could convince people of a 1080p vs 900p difference in a 30 second TV spot, and it would seem silly to waste ad time when you're just trying to sell your game.

JordanN

Banned
That wont stop me from favoring a game that is 1080p or higher.

It's not a hard concept. I have a 1080p TV, why would I want to play games of a lower res on it? You don't think TV's went from 240p to 1080p for a reason?

I dislike talking resolution since it makes me look crazy even though I still play games of all types. However, I hate all the dismissal that usually comes with resolution.
It's kinda like the "graphics don't matter" you always hear in regards to power.

Bl@de

It's true. That's why I just bought Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on PS3 for the Holiday. Great Games simply deliver.

Hubble

Agree I thought it mattered but when I tried Destiny beta on xo and ps4 I couldn't tell on my big screen and found features and ui more important

Is that why people are buying next gen consoles in droves and PC gaming has been on the rise like never before? Because they don't care about resolution and pretty graphics?

maybe I'm missing the point here, but I really had no issue at all playing MGSV at 900p or whatever it was on Xbone. In fact, I consider it one of the best looking games I've seen on the console, even after 50+ of Destiny at 1080p.

I realize a lot of these technical arguments are spawned from fanboy measurebating. I'd assert that lot of people wouldn't really even know the difference in most cases, if it wasn't for places like Digital Foundry and the other pixel counters out there posting long articles explaining the differences in each SKU of the games. Or maybe I'm just half-blind and play my games on crappy televisions. I really don't know.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
It sure matters to me. I'm done playing games at a lower resolution than what is my TV's native resolution. Especially if it's at parity resolution with the xbox1.

If I miss any particular amazing game because of this, I'll buy it used.

Renekton

You know it's one thing to admit that the mass market couldn't give two shits about 900p and 1080p which is completely correct, but the disingenuous way these people are going about it is what is disgusting.
I think the way we overreact to their comments is way more disgusting.

jett

D-Member
Well no, 99.99+% of the people buying vidyagaemz aren't going to give a rat's ass or even notice.

I don't really think it's a big deal either.

I hate that these developers want to have it both ways. They want to wow us with the latest graphical features in their games, but they don't want resolution or frame rate to count.

Stop using your game's visual as a selling piece if you don't want resolution or frame rate to count against it.

This.

Ubisoft and the industry as a whole have only themselves to blame for all this mess. They've gone out of their way to sell the games based on how great they look for years--and even now, one of Ubisoft's main arguments against the complaints is how pretty the games look anyway. They're talking out of both sides of their mouth on this.

QaaQer

Of course it does not. The problem is really developers feeling the need to defend their design choices and they say stupid things. In the end, it is all about gameplay. If resolution or frame rate dampens gameplay, then it is an issue.

I used to think that, but for retail games, I don't believe that is the case. It is about making the player (and especially critics) feel powerful and good about themselves, and getting the player motivated to buy the game. Thats what drives all the design decisions, not 'great gameplay'.

Great gameplay only works in the f2p sphere, where people can dabble and then get hooked. DOTA2, LoL, etc would totally fail as traditional 2006-era console retail games.

In fact, great gameplay which requires skill, practise, and knowledge is likely to hurt sales at retail. No critic is going to bother learning a game when they have at most 20 hours to bang out a review, and players will hate on a game after playing a couple of hours.

I have to disagree with this article. Past generation consoles like 360 and PS3 had games that were upscaled from 720p to 1080p. The image quality by resolution really didn't bother me until I saw what a native 1080p game looked like on PS4 and Xbox One.

There's a level of clarity and vibrancy in the color and detail of objects and surroundings that upscaled resolution simply does not display as well. Once you've seen a native 1080p output (or 4k for that matter) it's truly hard to accept resolutions that were utilized in past generation consoles.

Kuldar

He's not wrong, I don't buy a game for a resolution, but I choose on which hardware I will play it based on resolution and other technical stuff.

Chobel

"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen. I don't know the exact numbers, but it starts to get a little crazy. I'm just in it for the experience, I'll play a SNES game if it's cool."

What the fuck is this?

jtan

Resolution is only important to me depending on the console I am playing on. I know I won't get 1080p 60fps on a ps2, so I don't expect that. But Xbone and ps4 are touted as being able to reach this resolution and sometimes hit that frame rate, so I expect to be able to play my games at that resolution.

Handy Fake

I think the way we overreact to their comments is way more disgusting.

I'm not so sure; as the core of what keeps them afloat - the consumers who pay good money for their products - I think the least we can expect is not to be talked down to and patronised.

It does when you're stupidly used this argument as one of the main sale point of your systems.
Also it doesn't sell games but it does count in the overall experience the player has.

Focus on making a great game -> try to implement the best graphics possible -> make smart compromises
-> profit lol

That's how it should be done imo

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
tumblr_m3hg2lSQQK1ruisdao1_500.gif

Funny he thinks the public don't care about resolution in games but the public goes out of their way to that big ass 1808p TV. They never get 720p.

The public would see 1080 on a $200 42" TV and they wouldn't stop to ask whether it's 1080i or 1080p.

The "you have to sit X feet away to even notice Y" stuff is my favourite next gen meme.

Dude is dead on the money with the COD / Crytek comment though.

He's right, really.

I don't refuse to buy games because they're a certain resolution otherwise I'd have fuck all games. Especially last gen

SerTapTap

What the fuck is this?

Didn't you know, if you sit less than 12 feet from your 4K TV it will devour your soul

The "you have to sit X feet away to even notice Y" stuff is my favourite next gen meme.

Dude is dead on the money with the COD / Crytek comment though.

Next gen? I remember this bullshit about 720p vs 480p regarding HDMI output on 360 and PS3. Was just as much bullshit back then

I agree with him.

With the PS4/Xbone comparison, to the average person, 'more powerful' doesn't specifically mean higher res. They will just think games have 'better graphics' but probably couldn't put their fingers on why.

Resolution is a relatively technical term for a lot of people.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Hehe. Was thinking the same thing. It's all very good saying "resolution doesn't matter", "frames per second don't matter" etc., "as long as it's fun", then why the Hell are people paying good money for the latest systems? :D

The new consoles do a lot more than a resolution. I think that's what he was trying to get at? Isn't it?

He's right, AC3 could have been 1080p 60 fps and he still would have fucked it up and lied through his teeth about the changes to the series.

Sean*O

Pretty ironic since FarCry was always used as a graphical benchmark on PCs and got wide exposure for that reason.. and people buying newer more powerful hardware each gen means people do care. All of the HD remasters on the market and coming soon says people care too.

Ubi is full of shit lately. Graphics matter in gaming and if given a choice people clearly want a higher resolution.

gelf

Agree with him. I've never let resolution stop me buying a game, I feel there are far more important things to focus on. But no we have to deal with the my p's are better then yours debates endlessly.

Vitor711

maybe I'm missing the point here, but I really had no issue at all playing MGSV at 900p or whatever it was on Xbone. In fact, I consider it one of the best looking games I've seen on the console, even after 50+ of Destiny at 1080p.

I realize a lot of these technical arguments are spawned from fanboy measurebating. I'd assert that lot of people wouldn't really even know the difference in most cases, if it wasn't for places like Digital Foundry and the other pixel counters out there posting long articles explaining the differences in each SKU of the games. Or maybe I'm just half-blind and play my games on crappy televisions. I really don't know.

Uh, ground zeroes was 720 on Xbox One. All of Konami's Fox engine games are right now (see pro evo soccer).

So, I may have to go with the half blind and crappy TV bit :)

Top Bottom