• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolution doesn't sell games, says Far Cry 4 dev

SerTapTap

From his bizarre comment about 4K TVs it's clear that he has no understanding of what resolution actually is, so his opinion on the matter is pretty irrelevant.

For a game dev it's a kind of terrifying. It's like a web developer telling you not to use Javascript because no one updates Java anyway.

Nothing he said was bad in any shape or form, i actually agree with most of the stuff he said, even though his comment about 4k was much accurate [point was though] and Crytek vs COD analogy was not really well thought, still the point was accurate.

What about 1080p with very blurry AA?

Due to scaling, the best 720p/900p IQ isn't going to look great, especially text. Text is still screwed pretty bad by 1080p

injurai

Banned
Thats true marketing does... unfortunatly

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Kaydan

Banned
The COD to crytek comparison is disingenuous. Resolution only makes things better, not worse, but in and of itself it won't increase sales. The game still needs to be one a lot of people like.

Uhmm that's exactly what he was trying to point out with this comparison. How is it disingenuous?

JordanN

Banned
Thats the thing though, if some game was so ridiculously ambitious that it could only run at a decent framerate at 480p I rather see that game rather then the same thing we had previously at a higher res. I prefer seeing more power used for new gameplay possibilities not just to adhere to an arbitrary standard. I know I'm not the majority on that opinion though.

Not that a Ubisoft game is ever going to push the envelope in the way I describe though.
Don't know what games you're playing, but 1080p does not mean the same as last gen. Future exclusives and games not held back by cross-gen will continue to prove that.

And it's not arbitrary. 1080p/60hz is the standard for current TV's.

Skyzard

Banned
"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen. I don't know the exact numbers, but it starts to get a little crazy.

Lol

flkraven

My tv is 1080P. Games should always match the resolution of the native display. That's it. It's as simple as that.

If my TV was 900P, I'd be fine with it. It's not.

Imagine people had this outlook during the 360/PS3 gen? Most people have had 1080 televisions for ages, yet we 'suffered' through some amazing games last gen that were rendered at like half that resolution.

Wereroku

He is right to a point. I mean you can't go back to 480. But some 720 games like killer in stint has better image quality than some 900p games.

Yes but is Killer Instinct even better now since it has a higher resolution? Resolution is important so it is stupid to say it has no effect.

Handy Fake

It sure isn't a selling point for me...even as a person with both consoles.

I think that may be exactly the point - what if a game came out, a multiplat, and it was 1080p on one system and 900p on another? Which would you get it for?

NickFire

this happened? what year was this? was it recent?

It was around a year ago when the disparity in console power was becoming apparent. Don't worry though, IGN has been very "honest" in letting us know their "journalists" are simply stupid and not trying to make friends with the company that benefits the most from such nonsense.

Jobbs

Banned
It was around a year ago when the disparity in console power was becoming apparent. Don't worry though, IGN has been very "honest" in letting us know their "journalists" are simply stupid and not trying to make friends with the company that benefits the most from such nonsense.

I'm not convinced they are displaying MS bias. I think they're just completely ill equipped to speak on these topics. I said "dummies" before, I probably shouldn't have been so mean, but they definitely said dumb things.

Handy Fake

I'm not convinced they are displaying MS bias. I think they're just completely ill equipped to speak on these topics. I said "dummies" before, I probably shouldn't have been so mean, but they definitely said dumb things.

Probably right. I think these larger sites need to be very careful of how they approach these topics. Don't want to be particularly scathing and lose out on much-needed ad revenue.

I don't care about resolution because if it bothered me so much I would have abandoned consoles along time ago. That said, I find the statement stupid when we have threads with pages upon pages of people discussing resolution and the like. Not to mention a whole site dedicated to counting fucking pixels.

EvB

When I played this on PS4, it looked like a PS3 game so perhaps it is much lower than we have very quickly become used to?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
You give a shit about resolution so much then tell me what resolution different broadcasters use in HD?

It doesn't matter honestly.. just play games.

I get wanting the best, but to be butthurt over something not being 1080p is just stupid.

0322_ztjpl.gif

Let's go back to 480p then. You can have resolution and fun. Imagine that!

man, as mindfucking as always. thats why i dont visit that website, click on links or download the app on my PS4 (even though i would like to watch stuff for new games)

is not about that much about resolution but stupid parity, if thats the future of "healthy competition" they can close shop for all i care i wont support that bullshit

NickFire

I'd like to think not. But so many ads to sell, and didn't one of them also pitch for a job from MS on Twitter, or was that a different IGN blogger?

Kalor

I agree with them as the average consumer just doesn't care, neither does a majority of people who play games a lot. When the Assassins Creed resolution came out, its the vocal minority that are complaining about it. I see no point in skipping games if they aren't 1080p.

Native res should be 1080p, it matters to me- but it's not that big of a deal when it comes to modern TVs. PC monitors, sure. Most people play on nice TVs with all kinds of image processing shit going on that kind of dulls the importance of native res.

Alienous

I think if there's an lesson to be learnt regarding Call of Duty's success it's that if you execute your game near perfectly that good will can sustain a franchise for years. The COD4 good will is only starting to deplete now.

Crytek's failure was ignoring that and trying to match Call of Duty's feature set. Alot of games fucked up doing that. Any Crysis 1 and Warhead good will was quickly squandered.

0322_ztjpl.gif

Let's go back to 480p then. You can have resolution and fun. Imagine that!

"Yeah, it's like, your naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 720p and 1080p before 50 inches".

No matter how many times I see this GIF, that part always cracks me up. What a load of horseshit. 720p looks like crap on my 42 inch TV, 1080p does not. I MUST BE SUPERHUMAN!

And wtf is it with developers throwing out these damage control statements about resolution? No shit resolution doesn't sell games, but I still want it. And another thing, if it didn't matter...then why the fuck would you bother making the PS4 version 1080p? If it truly didn't matter, then surely you'd lower it to 720p and use the freed up resources elsewhere, right? It clearly DOES matter. It makes games look more appealing. There's no need to downplay it by saying something that barely anyone thinks anyway.

Oersted

It propably helps, within many other reasons, to sell your console, but not games. Yeah. Atleast when the difference isn't too staggering.

Top Bottom