• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

resume tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuga

Multiple pages is okay if it really is justified. But for the vast majority of people, a concise resume is more important. Remember the point isn't to list all of your qualifications, it's to get the employee or HR rep to take notice of you over the rest of the applicants.

Look at the top half of your first page and ask "what important things related to the position would I find out about myself in 15 seconds?" That's about as much attention as you can expect on a first pass by the person reading it. This is also why many people are suggesting to front-load the resume with the most important information near the top. If, say, education was your weakest selling point, you'd put that at or near the bottom where it is less likely to be looked at in detail. (or better yet, the employer might be so impressed with your other qualifications that they wouldn't care by the time they read your schooling history!)

White space is a double-edged sword. You don't want excessive white space or the resume will look awful, but, if your paper is a wall of text, it isn't going to be read either. At least try to make sure that each line containing a sentence-based description is reasonably close to the right margin. And speaking of those, I prefer smaller margins (around .5" all around) as they allow for more information but they are still pleasing to the eye. Bullet points and other organizational formatting may also help the readability of your resume.

Finally, KiSS. Don't go overboard with creative originality unless it's actually warranted. (like for an art related field) Trying to stand out is one thing, but an overly "out of the box" looking page can also deter readers if it isn't aesthetically pleasing or easy to obtain information from.

Don't take my tips (or any other person's) as law. Every resume is different and should be an expression of who you are and why you are a good fit. Do whatever you believe will benefit your chances of getting a job. The above is just an opinion based on my experiences, and I hope it will be of use to you or anyone else who happens to stumble upon it. Good luck.

leroidys

Do any of you have tips for resumes that will be first sorted by a computer? I've been applying for Boeing jobs, and I know that most people are weeded out before a human even takes a look.

A.Romero

It all depends on the industry you are on. For IT and such, the activities are pretty similar, focus on your skills.

For design and marketing and all that, you could use something flashy like they suggested before.

I would put more effort on the cover letter than on the actual resume. Let the Resume be an intro, something just enough to motivate them to interview you.

RDreamer

Glad I subscribed to this!
Any chance anyone could take alook at mine?
I know you need to tailor it to each job,this is the "base" if you like but it looks terrible compared to some of the ones in here :/
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39157652/CV%202011%20-%20Copy.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39157652/CV%202011%20-%20Copy.doc

Probably explains my lack of responses on the new job front aswell..

I'm no expert with resumes, but here's my critiques:

Your first paragraph starts very abruptly and awkwardly, I think. You're computer literate, but so is pretty much everyone. Be a bit more specific. Saying you would welcome working on a team again implies that you haven't for a while. While that isn't specifically bad, I personally think you should change it to say that you flourish both on your own and in a team environment. This implies that it is still a current skill.

"Knowledge of Microsoft Office" is far, far too general, and perhaps may imply that you barely know the program. Everyone has knowledge of Microsoft Office. State here how long you've used it or that you're skilled if you are, or that you're proficient if you're only proficient. And again, don't say you have knowledge of Windows and Apple OS. State how long you've used them or state how good you are with them. If you're going to keep the next sentence it should say telephone "manners." Good at problem solving is ok, but sounds bland. "Can cope under pressure" is a very very bad way to state that. They want people that do more than just cope. Coping under pressure is the bare minimum.

In your employment history your first sentence under your first job is way too long, and possibly missing some commas. Still, I'd shorten things up rather than put those in. Personally, I put my resume into a list. It helps cut out the redundancy, since they already know you did all this. You also get a bit too detailed in this section. You want to convey that you do a lot without it sounding longwinded. They can ask you about specifics when you get there.

Here's my advice for that format:
Solely manage the Maidstone equipment library. Collect equipment used by the hospital staff on patients. Carry out minor repairs and decontamination. Keep stock levels of equipment topped up throughout the day for high use areas such as ITU and A/E. Manage the library swipe card entry system. Return repaired devices to wards and collect damaged equipment.

Writing things like that sounds a lot more technical and less personal. I redid my resume like this a while back and got way more calls than I did beforehand.

For education, turn that into a bulleted list format. Also, you have "math's" written.

I'd completely nix the personal interests paragraph. If you have interests that pertain to the job you're applying for, try and work them into that top introduction paragraph. Otherwise, leave that out.

Thanks alot :)

Ive never been good at doing my CV, I only do well in the interviews but having a bad CV stops me getting to them.

The library part is my failed attempt to big up the fact that I run something really important with no outside interference ,my boss has even said she knows she can leave me alone for months and knows shit will get done.
I guess the same with the interests part showing that I can committee to something and get shit done? Guess Ill chop it then!

Key skills are my hardest part. I honestly wish something existed that I could explain what I do/have done and they can say what skills I have.

Education is short because that is equivalent to Highschool education so I want far more emphasis on my work experience than my education.

TheExodu5

Banned
Don't have more than one page.

You can do a lot of things to get it down.
1. Don't use those huge-ass margins.
2. Get rid of any jobs that aren't bartending or serving.
3. Get rid of fluffy self-promotion unless it's backed by fact.
4. Reduce your line spacing.

Here's mine for reference (not saying it's the best, but an example of what you can fit on one page):
jYeri.jpg

I can't read that. O_O

RDreamer

Just changed a bit on my resume. I just shortened up my freelance section (which used to be about one specific job with one specific client... I had to use the name of the guy who became my current boss now as a contact, since she didn't want to be contacted or talked to at all). And I added my current secondary work. I'm kind of torn on adding it. I'm being paid for it under my current job, but it is a different business (though it has the same owner). I think it adds to my experience, but I'm worried part time jobs that I'm contacting might think I'm full up. We'll see.

Anyway, here's the resume:

GXbyo.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Do any of you have tips for resumes that will be first sorted by a computer? I've been applying for Boeing jobs, and I know that most people are weeded out before a human even takes a look.
List every key word that you can find in the job description. If they want experience with MS access then you should have MS access on your resume unless it would require lying. This is true for all jobs but especially true if you are applying to companies who are going to filter by computer.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just changed a bit on my resume. I just shortened up my freelance section (which used to be about one specific job with one specific client... I had to use the name of the guy who became my current boss now as a contact, since she didn't want to be contacted or talked to at all). And I added my current secondary work. I'm kind of torn on adding it. I'm being paid for it under my current job, but it is a different business (though it has the same owner). I think it adds to my experience, but I'm worried part time jobs that I'm contacting might think I'm full up. We'll see.

GXbyo.jpg

Not a fan of the color or the logo choices, but I love the general flow and design. I would be afraid the big bold titles (rather than appropriate white space) seems like you might be overcompensating.

mcrae

http://i.imgur.com/GXbyo.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]

the biggest font on your resume should be your name, not your subtitles

RDreamer

Not a fan of the color or the logo choices, but I love the general flow and design. I would be afraid the big bold titles (rather than appropriate white space) seems like you might be overcompensating.
The color and the logo have to stay, since I need to keep the branding consistent with my website. I'll likely rethink the stationary/letterhead, though, since it's something I've had for a long time and have thought more about the content and formatting of the inside rather than the outside.

At some point I'll likely completely redo my branding, since it's pretty old and isn't quite up to my skills at this time, but I just don't have the time to change everything right now.

the biggest font on your resume should be your name, not your subtitles

Hmm, that's probably a good critique. I'll look into changing that along with the use of my stationary/letterhead. I could probably do a lot better than what I have.

RDreamer

You have time.

To completely redo my entire website and branding? No, I don't have that time right now, since for my job I'm completely redesigning and redoing 2 other websites. But I do have time to change the letterhead/stationary, which has never been a great implementation. I'm doing that right now.

Loki

Count of Concision
Here's my advice for that format:

Solely manage the Maidstone equipment library. Collect equipment used by the hospital staff on patients. Carry out minor repairs and decontamination. Keep stock levels of equipment topped up throughout the day for high use areas such as ITU and A/E. Manage the library swipe card entry system. Return repaired devices to wards and collect damaged equipment.

Writing things like that sounds a lot more technical and less personal. I redid my resume like this a while back and got way more calls than I did beforehand.

Isn't a resume supposed to be written in past tense? So for example, it should be "managed the Maidstone equipment library; collected equipment used by hospital staff" etc. Is this still the case or did recommended practice change in the last several years (my tenure at my current position, during which time I haven't kept on top of accepted resume practices much).

Chinner

Banned
cvs are pretty pointless. i've stopped printing mine out because i know its just a waste of paper and the employers would just laugh and spit on it.

RDreamer

Isn't a resume supposed to be written in past tense? So for example, it should be "managed the Maidstone equipment library; collected equipment used by hospital staff" etc. Is this still the case or did recommended practice change in the last several years (my tenure at my current position, during which time I haven't kept on top of accepted resume practices much).

Yeah, I fucked up with that since I was editing his current one. As you can see I did mine all in past tense. I suppose that's another critique for him that I missed.

Edit:
Here's my resume again, edited a bit:

G2w30.jpg

Zoe

Can't say I'm a fan of listing all the duties out in a paragraph with simple sentences. Makes it hard to pick up on key words if you're trying to skim and makes it disjointed if you're trying to read it as a whole. It's inconsistent with your list of skills as well.

RDreamer

Can't say I'm a fan of listing all the duties out in a paragraph with simple sentences. Makes it hard to pick up on key words if you're trying to skim and makes it disjointed if you're trying to read it as a whole. It's inconsistent with your list of skills as well.

How about this solution:
iofJT.jpg

Decent solution, I suppose. I'm not too sure about the red highlights, though. I kind of think they add to it. Any feedback about that?

Zoe

I think that's much better. Normally I wouldn't put color highlighting, but because you've already got color in the heading, I think it works.

-viper-

Banned
Not a fan of the 1-page only rule. I believe that a spacey, nicely designed resume will get an employer to read it however long it is. Obviously a lot can be said for a nice, tight, clean 1 page resume, but I'm a fan of spacing the shit out and giving everything breathing room. I think an employer is more likely to read a resume that's spaced out than out that has shit filled to the brim on one page.

Here's mine, fake info at the top.

SoundEditorResume.jpg

SoundEditorResume2.jpg

Wow, that looks fantastic.

Do you mind sharing the template please?

Do you always have to do an objective thing? I'm going to a career fair and don't want to limit myself by listing something for objective. It would be better not to include it?

Do you always have to do an objective thing? I'm going to a career fair and don't want to limit myself by listing something for objective. It would be better not to include it?

Is it an American thing? Everyone I spoke to in the Uk has a "personal statement" of sorts at the top.
Got a friends whos clued up on all this stuff looking at my CV so hopefully she can sort it out! It did look a shit load better cutting out paragraphs and switch to bullet points Ill say that much!

Glad I subscribed to this!
Any chance anyone could take alook at mine?
I know you need to tailor it to each job,this is the "base" if you like but it looks terrible compared to some of the ones in here :/
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39157652/CV%202011%20-%20Copy.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39157652/CV%202011%20-%20Copy.doc

Probably explains my lack of responses on the new job front aswell..

You do know that blackening personal information in a pdf is of no use since everyone can still copy/paste it?

mcrae

so i got an email asking if i was still interested in a position. i write back saying yes (in 2 paragraphs) then i get this back

"now thatr i have spoken to you, knowing that you are still interested and available, i will put pressure on him to have an answer no later than thursday (as i am off friday)

i appreciate your patience on this matter and will be in touch, either way, this week.

suzanne"

how would you people reply to this? i went with a simple

"Alright thanks Suzanne, I'll be awaiting your response.

Mike"

just not sure what the norm is in professional communication. she doesnt need a reply to this email, is it annoying that i sent one since she has a bunch of HR shit to do all day, or courteous indicating i've read it?

Liberty4all

Banned
I think how you responded is fine.

so i got an email asking if i was still interested in a position. i write back saying yes (in 2 paragraphs) then i get this back

"now thatr i have spoken to you, knowing that you are still interested and available, i will put pressure on him to have an answer no later than thursday (as i am off friday)

i appreciate your patience on this matter and will be in touch, either way, this week.

suzanne"

how would you people reply to this? i went with a simple

"Alright thanks Suzanne, I'll be awaiting your response.

Mike"

just not sure what the norm is in professional communication. she doesnt need a reply to this email, is it annoying that i sent one since she has a bunch of HR shit to do all day, or courteous indicating i've read it?

SKINNER!

Banned
Lots of great advice here.
Just keep it one page (max two) and make it brief so you can further elaborate on what you wrote in your resume when they call you up for an interview. I knew a guy who put literally everything down on his resume and it ended up being like 6 pages. yikes! didn't look good at all.

Enco

So I've got an interview on Tuesday and I'm supposed to bring 3 copies of my resume and just wanted to get some feedback.

http://imgur.com/2hfL4
Align the dates.

Make the format more consistent. There's a space after 'Work Experience' and no space after 'Education'. Make the headings stand out more. It looks like one large body of text. Maybe add some bullet points to make it look nicer?

Check out some templates in this thread like whitehawk said.

beat

So I've got an interview on Tuesday and I'm supposed to bring 3 copies of my resume and just wanted to get some feedback.

Everything Enco said. Also, that one line in the Bath and Body Works work experience is the only line that goes long enough to take two lines of space; you might as well reword it if you can (remove "for the next day"? or remove everything after "merchandise"?).

Since you've already gotten to the interview stage, know the job they're hiring for and what relevant work experience you have that you're bringing. For example, if it's about customer service, you have that on your resume. Now have an anecdote or three you can use in the interview that shows your track record of customer service skills.

Good luck,

S.Dedalus

This is a smaller issue (not something major like "it hurts my eyes to read it"), but the first job listed, use a parallel structure with your bullet points. Don't say "Greet" in one line, "helping" in another, and "customer service" in the last. Have them all be verbs, for example:

-Greet and register club members upon arrival
-Assist members with purchases of [specific types of merchandise, for example "sporting equipment" or whatever]
-Provide quality customer service and exercise flexibility in meeting individual members' needs

Just something like that.

And it's already been said, but it looks like one giant blob of text as is. I can't tell the sections apart. You might want to use a slightly different font for your headings, or make them a larger size or in italics. Just some way to set them apart.

Use bullet points for your lists.

Make sure the spacing is consistent (between jobs, and make sure there's a larger space--not just a line-- between the education and job sections). Also, your dates are all over the page. Make sure they're all right-justified. If you're doing it in Word, a good way to help with formatting is to put the identifying info (company, job title, location, duration) in as a table (2X2) and then have it show 'no borders.' This way everything lines up.

Your name should also be a bit bigger.

Edit: Also, I don't think you need to have "Internship" as a heading, especially since you list your position as "intern" and since it comes first chronologically. Don't capitalize "firefighters." Also, try for stronger verbs throughout your lists. Don't say "rung up"; instead say "Processed customer purchases" or "Operated cash register" ... "rung up" doesn't make you sound impressive.

I wouldn't label your first job as "Front Desk" for a few reasons: it makes you sound like a piece of wood, and it's not very impressive. Don't make yourself sound like a dude who hung out at the front desk and chilled all day. Call yourself a Receptionist/Sales Associate.

Edit again (the more I look at it, the more I see): I'd pick a more interesting font. This one looks like you used whatever the default settings were on whatever program you used. Even if it's not for a super important job, you want employers to think you put some effort into your resume. (Also "Greet and check members into the club" is in a smaller font size than everything else...not sure why that's happened).

You should also put the location of your jobs. Like the table I mentioned earlier:

COMPANY (some space) LOCATION
Job Title (some space) Time-Time

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Posted in the other thread, but add colour. Juts plain black text is boring and isn't memorable. google 'free resume templetes' or browse through this thread.

Color? Really? I received resumes with colour and clip art and they went straight into the bin.

Where can I get this template?

You can convert it in Google Docs to turn it into a Word Doc. Or you can PM me.

The lines are way too long so it's a pain to read. I would immediately throw away a resume like that.

I dunno, man. The template was given to me by folks at Google and reviewed by J&J recruiters.

Color? Really? I received resumes with colour and clip art and they went straight into the bin.

Same. I was told to never put color on a resume, it's rather unnecessary. Of course, it depends on your field; if you are going into graphic design, perhaps it's expected.

Magnus

Am I wrong in assuming it's always best to send a resume in PDF format so it'll appear the same to anyone you send it to? Regardless of whether you designed it in Word, InDesign, Photoshop, whatever.

Most of my friends tell me they just fire their .docs around as is. I'd be concerned that different versions of Word (with different font packages or whatever) would muck around with a .doc file and cause it to display incorrectly.

I would recommend using this resume template:

It's very space efficient, yet neat and easy to read.

http://i.imgur.com/XmXDQ.png

There's nothing easy to read about this. :( I find it too lengthy, cluttered and in need of breathing room.

zero_suit

Am I wrong in assuming it's always best to send a resume in PDF format so it'll appear the same to anyone you send it to? Regardless of whether you designed it in Word, InDesign, Photoshop, whatever.

Most of my friends tell me they just fire their .docs around as is. I'd be concerned that different versions of Word (with different font packages or whatever) would muck around with a .doc file and cause it to display incorrectly.

I just send it as a PDF. There always a chance for a formatting error if a .doc file is used.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I recently started being involved in the hiring process and its surprised me how little CVs really matter. Especially layout, I don't care how many pages you use or how wide your margins are, if you're not applying for a design job I couldn't give two shits what it looks like as long as it's easy to read. What it does need:

- Most/All of the key points of the Job Spec covered (Hey assholes, I even made them bold for you, how hard is it?)
- No jokes (seriously)

If you can do that chances are I'll call you, and if I don't it's not because I got 15 better CVs than yours, because really no one hiring for positions can tell if someone is really better or worse until they've talked to them. It's because I've already lined up 15 interviews while you were fixing the margins on your CV, and I can't find another space for you.

Lamel

Banned
I wonder of the 1 page thing is for newer people in the workforce. Because I've seen people with 5+ pages on their resumes of experience get hired well (office job/finance). Then again, those 5 pages are not fluff in the slightest.

beat

I would recommend using this resume template:

It's very space efficient, yet neat and easy to read.

http://i.imgur.com/XmXDQ.png

Agreed with most other people; I feel it's way too dense. I've always gone with a two page resume because I feel whitespace is more important than fitting the ONE PAGE ONLY rule.

And yes, always send as a PDF. Esp if going through a recruiter; a PDF makes it less likely they'll be able to do terrible things like add inaccurate keywords.

Summary > Objective.

Additionally, this is required reading for those reworking their resumes: http://www.rockportinstitute.com/resumes

Who are we to be telling you how to write your resume? As part of our career consulting practice, we have coached and advised Fortune 500 C.E.O.s, senior members of the last few presidential administrations, thousands of mid and early career professionals, artists, technical people and others in nearly every field of endeavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom