• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

resume tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to drop in and say how awesome thespot84's template is. Thanks a ton for posting it, dunno if I'll use it but it's inspired me to update my resume.

Magnus

TheSpot's layout also inspired me to rework mine, and I definitely borrowed a few ideas, haha.

Question: My InDesign knowledge is garbage, so I threw mine together quick in Photoshop and really like how it looks. But damn. The smallest PDF size I can get is over 3mb, which is prohibitively big for an e-mail attachment. My .doc PDFs were always under 100kb. What can I do to make this work? I've seen tons of high quality PDF docs/images that were well under 3mb.

I've removed Photoshop PDF data like saving layer data, and kept it simple. I've dropped DPI from 300 to 150 or so. Should I flatten the image as well?

Flattening took it down to 830kb. That's...not offensively large when sending a resume as an attachment, right?

edit- Can get it down to about 250kb using Low quality compression presets within Photoshop. Still not great. What do you all do?

RDreamer

TheSpot's layout also inspired me to rework mine, and I definitely borrowed a few ideas, haha.

Question: My InDesign knowledge is garbage, so I threw mine together quick in Photoshop and really like how it looks. But damn. The smallest PDF size I can get is over 3mb, which is prohibitively big for an e-mail attachment. My .doc PDFs were always under 100kb. What can I do to make this work? I've seen tons of high quality PDF docs/images that were well under 3mb.

I've removed Photoshop PDF data like saving layer data, and kept it simple. I've dropped DPI from 300 to 150 or so. Should I flatten the image as well?

Flattening took it down to 830kb. That's...not offensively large when sending a resume as an attachment, right?

edit- Can get it down to about 250kb using Low quality compression presets within Photoshop. Still not great. What do you all do?

Now it seems like Indesign and Illustrator put out PDFs at a good file size, but back when I was on CS3 and they were likely bugged or something the only thing I could do was use Adobe Acrobat. That seems to be the best way to compress things and rip out extraneous info. If you have acrobat pro, I'd suggest use that. Depending on the version there are some options like saving for web.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

is there a particular reason you're using PSD/IND to design your resume? Are you creating a graphic resume or slapping your logo on there or what?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
ok so here is the updated version of my resume with a new template, interview in 2 hours.

imgur.com/6smGL

The format is much better. Unless your work experience is more relevant to the position you're applying for than your education, I'd list your education first.

Edit: also, how's your GPA? Any honors or activities at your school or in your community?

The format is much better. Unless your work experience is more relevant to the position you're applying for than your education, I'd list your education first.

Edit: also, how's your GPA? Any honors or activities at your school or in your community?

It's just a warehouse position, no honors or activities yet. GPA is a 2.88

dyergram

I saw an interview with a harvord head of admission. He said the most important part was the Hobbys section because it was the only area where people told the truth not sure of the relevance but just thought it was interesting.

BHZ Mayor

What's your opinions on listing side work (still being relevant work experience) on your resume? Looking around, I see mixed views on this.

What's your opinions on listing side work (still being relevant work experience) on your resume? Looking around, I see mixed views on this.
Triage. I think three solid experience listings would be better than three plus another page of side work. Keep it short and sweet.

while we're grading resumes, anyone care to give thoughts on mine?

I recently made a new one in hopes of getting an entry level job in the IT field:

resume.png

Just changed a bit on my resume. I just shortened up my freelance section (which used to be about one specific job with one specific client... I had to use the name of the guy who became my current boss now as a contact, since she didn't want to be contacted or talked to at all). And I added my current secondary work. I'm kind of torn on adding it. I'm being paid for it under my current job, but it is a different business (though it has the same owner). I think it adds to my experience, but I'm worried part time jobs that I'm contacting might think I'm full up. We'll see.

Anyway, here's the resume:

GXbyo.jpg
Whoa, someone from CMP Laser Tag is on GAF.

CMP Laser Tag is incredibly fun.

S.Dedalus

while we're grading resumes, anyone care to give thoughts on mine?

I recently made a new one in hopes of getting an entry level job in the IT field:

resume[/QUOTE]

Make your name bold, and maybe even a different font, just so it really stands out.

For your objective, I'd make it more specific. Not just to use your education/knowledge in general, but your education in and knowledge of [fancy specific computer term thing], unless you're using this same resume to apply to a wide variety of jobs (although it's best to tailor each resume to the job at hand).

Add dates to your education (month and year or just year you got the degree and certification) and put the location of the university and where you were certified (Town, State, if in US).

Under your work experience, I'd put the actual years, not the number of years. So, 2002-2005 instead of just 3 years. For "Computer Repair Tech," I'd put "Self-Employed" in the spot you'd normally put the company name. You probably don't want "self-employed" to be the first thing they read about your current job. Write your descriptions with first person verbs: Perform, Evaluate, etc.

Under "Machine Operator," you say "Certified to..." and this is the only one of your descriptions that isn't a verb phrase. So I'd change that to something like "Employed [blah blah certain kind of certification] to inspect blah blah."

The "Hospitality" descriptions are really vague. I'd add some specifics to those to give a clearer picture of what you actually did/do.

Just leave the asterisk at the bottom and say "*References available upon request." Don't give them to anyone until asked for.

In terms of aesthetics, it's a little boring. I'd experiment with some more interesting fonts. Nothing unreadable or crazy [nothing curvy or blocky or in cursive], but nothing boring like Verdana, Times New Roman, Comic Sans, etc. This is just a matter of personal preference, but I would rather see your name at the very top, with your other info below it, either still in 4 lines like you have it, or stretched across one line and separated with dots/bullets, although that would open up a lot of white space and make your resume look even more sparse/boring than it is now (not trying to be nasty; I say all this in love). Maybe add a bullet or two to your first two jobs listed, and make the hospitality one more detailed to bulk it up a bit.

So, definitely play around with some other fonts/sizes/bold/italics/whatnot. Add info like the actual years (and location, unless that's already included, just under the black bars) of your work experience and the locations and years for your degrees/certifications. Maybe add another bullet or two to each description (3-5 is usually best, at least in my opinion), and work on making the hospitality descriptions more detailed and specific, which could add both clarity and length. I think the more specific, computery terms you throw out, the better, given your experience and the kind of job you're looking for. If you have any special awards or honors related to your education or certification, I'd add those too.

The descriptions for the jobs you have are already pretty good: strong verbs, and the first two job lists are already pretty descriptive. You could do a lot more with that last one though, especially since you say you've been doing it for over ten years.

A final note: maybe in place of the reference, you could include an "Other Experience" section, or "Other Related Experience" ...something like that... where you throw in any other experience you have working in the type of environment you're applying for, or working with computer systems. Just anything that you think might be helpful but that doesn't fit under "Education/Certification" or "Work." That could also help fill your resume out and make you look like a more complete person. Well-rounded, maybe?

And of course, this is all just my personal experience/preference. If anyone offers something you like better, I won't be heartbroken if you take their advice over mine.

Good luck!

([Sorry I use parentheses and brackets a lot])

Zoe

References should not be on the resume itself. It should be a separate document that's provided only upon request.

BHZ Mayor

Triage. I think three solid experience listings would be better than three plus another page of side work. Keep it short and sweet.

I probably should've been more specific. In my case, I have my current employment and my side work as experience. The side work is relevant experience, but I've read that side work can raise a red flag because employers may think you're uncommitted to your main job. So basically I'm looking for opinions on relevance vs. the potential red flag.

Magnus

is there a particular reason you're using PSD/IND to design your resume? Are you creating a graphic resume or slapping your logo on there or what?

Honestly, because I wanted to experiment with random layout stuff, some vertical text and a few other things that as far as I know are a pain in the ass to do in Word. I've since abandoned that because I realized (with some input from my colleagues in TV/film) that anything other than straightforward layouts are frowned upon in my biz. (apparently)

Went back to word with minimal layout fluff. Might post it for critique later.

sanath123

Banned
Great tips posted by the author, As Resume is an important tool whiles searching for a job also resume gives a quick snapshot about our educational qualification & employment job history.So you should take care while creating a resume.Also interviewer gets an idea about what are your educational qualification & what type of job you are searching & what are your career objective points that you are trying to achieve it.

So,for more information about How to write a resume using a Resume builder software you can visit this site(link):-
How to write a resume.

Resume builder.

mooooose

So my Dad is really pissed at me because he's done pretty well for himself and, I, for whatever reason am I miserable failure and underachiever. This is my resume for looking for internships or whatever IT job I can find.

I barely do anything outside of school and I do miserably in school and I've barely ever worked more than like 3 months at a time so my resume is shit and I just want someone here to tell me it isn't and how I can make it better. Otherwise I will explode and kill myself.
TA5q8.png

Linkhero1

Currently working on revising my resume. I was wonder. Do hiring managers prefer resumes in pdf format or word documents? Does it even matter?

zoku88

Currently working on revising my resume. I was wonder. Do hiring managers prefer resumes in pdf format or word documents? Does it even matter?

They'll usually ask for one or other if they really care.

I usually give pdfs unless I get notice that they don't accept them

Mainly because I did my resumes in latex
So my Dad is really pissed at me because he's done pretty well for himself and, I, for whatever reason am I miserable failure and underachiever. This is my resume for looking for internships or whatever IT job I can find.

I barely do anything outside of school and I do miserably in school and I've barely ever worked more than like 3 months at a time so my resume is shit and I just want someone here to tell me it isn't and how I can make it better. Otherwise I will explode and kill myself.
TA5q8.png

Lol, you're looking for a internship, don't stress out about work experience.

For experience, (esp. since you didn't say 'work experiments), note down class projects or put down descriptions of really involved classes.

Illustrator and InDesign would put out vector PDFs with live text, but your Photoshop file is basically a bigass 'picture'. So it's pretty much always going to be bigger. You can make sure it's greyscale, you can see how it looks at like 225dpi, but beyond that your options are limited.

I'd strongly suggest not using Photoshop for this, your type isn't going to look too hot.

hmmm

i would probably not list the dates you worked at those places. it probably wouldn't help your case. i think that it would hurt you more to have them than to not have them.

Yes, very true. Unless you want to answer a bunch of "what happened here?" questions, don't put the date because those short dates are suspect.

rpmurphy

my friend is looking for a job/internship atm. how's his resume looking to you guys?

http://i.imgur.com/DIAFz.png?1
One thing is to use past tense, not present tense. I think Skills should placed above Projects and expanded upon if possible.

Looking for any input here. It's for a gaming event/community coordinator position.
http://i.minus.com/jCHUuXeUNKgC9.png

Thanks a lot. Stream Monster is supposed to be removed btw.
Not from a recruiter POV since I've never been one, but I wonder if with all of your related experience items being " - Present" may come up as a roadblock, or at least a challenge during your interview.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

TA5q8.png

Dude, don't just list random key phrases like "following procedure/time management." Write a quick blurb about what that actually was, like what you did with your Activities explanation.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not from a recruiter POV since I've never been one, but I wonder if with all of your related experience items being " - Present" may come up as a roadblock, or at least a challenge during your interview.
Two of those are part time ish jobs, rest are things I do in my spare time.
I've been sorta in contact for 8 months with these people, so I'm half thinking it's mostly my cover letter.

endre

Hey guys!

I am filling out my EUROPEAN FORMAT CV, and I have a quick question. Under nationality, how should be dual citizenship noted?

Nationality: Dual citizenship of both Serbia and Hungary
Nationality: Dual citizenship: Serbian and Hungarian
Nationality: Dual citizenship: Serbia and Hungary

Other?

Magnus

Illustrator and InDesign would put out vector PDFs with live text, but your Photoshop file is basically a bigass 'picture'. So it's pretty much always going to be bigger. You can make sure it's greyscale, you can see how it looks at like 225dpi, but beyond that your options are limited.

I'd strongly suggest not using Photoshop for this, your type isn't going to look too hot.

Haha, I'd already dropped to 150 dpi. Yeah it's definitely the wrong choice for me. Went back to Word.

I've gotta say, I dont think I've ever seen a topic (in life, not just GAF) on which there are so many widespread and conflicting opinions. You literally don't know who to listen to with regards to resumes.

Hey guys!

I am filling out my EUROPEAN FORMAT CV, and I have a quick question. Under nationality, how should be dual citizenship noted?

Other?

Which ever you prefer I would say as its not really relevant. Id but "British" for mine even though Im English. Saying that I dont think thats even on my CV.

endre

Which ever you prefer I would say as its not really relevant. Id but "British" for mine even though Im English. Saying that I dont think thats even on my CV.

TY. So either one of those is grammatically correct?

Also I think it is important for me to note Hungary because that country is a member of the EU and I am trying to apply for a job in Germany.

thespot84

Looking for any input here. It's for a gaming event/community coordinator position.
http://i.minus.com/jCHUuXeUNKgC9.png

Thanks a lot. Stream Monster is supposed to be removed btw.

One of these days I just know I'm going to get someone's resume in front of my desk in this format, and they'll probably have no idea where they got it. It'll be a good laugh :D

As for actual content, a lot of the resumes I'm seeing here are listing "stuff' you did at your last job. I can hire anyone to do "stuff". Hell, I can make robots do "stuff" and they're a lot cheaper than you (The general 'you', as oppsed to just Hazaro, though you could benefit from this).

How WELL did you do stuff? Why were you GOOD at doing stuff? In which cases did you figure out a BETTER way to do stuff? As a manager I'm looking to hire someone that's going to allow me to be as LAZY as possible. I don't want to have to micromanage you to make sure stuff gets done. I want to have confidence you can do it, can do it well, and may even find a better way all on your own.

e.g. Did you "manage finances"? Or did you "facilitate project budgets and kept costs to record lows?" Tell me what you DID. Not what your job description said.

I've gotta say, I dont think I've ever seen a topic (in life, not just GAF) on which there are so many widespread and conflicting opinions. You literally don't know who to listen to with regards to resumes.

Part of the reason for this is that the hiring practices of different industries vary greatly. Part of it is a product of age (I.e. slow moving industries with entrenched management (i.e. Old Men) tend to adhere to very particular 'institutional' practices regardless of their effectiveness) while part of it is industry specific. For instance, if you're doing something like government, academia etc, especially if they have dedicated HR people, you might expect hiring managers to be very used to certain routines, certain practices. It's best not to rock the boat in that case. I always right for my audience. If I think the hiring managers is not very tech savvy, I'll go with something vanilla. In my industry (start up and small tech companies) the hiring manager is usually the person doing eight other jobs, and might then be looking for something fresh, not the same old thing. Take the time to imagine who's going to be on the other end of the email you send with your resume, and right it specifically for them. If you can find out who that person is, all the better ;)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hey guys!

Other?
The first one isn't really correct, the other two are fine.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
One of these days I just know I'm going to get someone's resume in front of my desk in this format, and they'll probably have no idea where they got it. It'll be a good laugh :D

As for actual content, a lot of the resumes I'm seeing here are listing "stuff' you did at your last job. I can hire anyone to do "stuff". Hell, I can make robots do "stuff" and they're a lot cheaper than you (The general 'you', as oppsed to just Hazaro, though you could benefit from this).

How WELL did you do stuff? Why were you GOOD at doing stuff? In which cases did you figure out a BETTER way to do stuff? As a manager I'm looking to hire someone that's going to allow me to be as LAZY as possible. I don't want to have to micromanage you to make sure stuff gets done. I want to have confidence you can do it, can do it well, and may even find a better way all on your own.

e.g. Did you "manage finances"? Or did you "facilitate project budgets and kept costs to record lows?" Tell me what you DID. Not what your job description said.
Gah, I thought I took this to heart by listing stuff not as I originally had it.

I'm feeling very restricted by choosing the item an line format. I think I might embellish a bit into actual sentences so I can explain. For example the Xsplit stuff used to be 'Optimized game stream setup on a 1800kbps upload'.
The Aquarium stuff dealt with hosting raffles/prizes and overseeing time schedules. Change that to 'Reduced amount of time the events ran late'? It feels really weird to say that.

I don't know why my brain just defaulted into list mode. Or are those examples not exactly what I should be looking at?
e.g. Responsible for client hardware -> Taking care of clients and having them feel like I'm doing jobs for them and not making work for myself (Bad example, just something I talked about at work today).

Many thanks. I think I saw an example resume with what you said, but I can't find it in my resume folder.

Hari Seldon

I spent a lot of time updating my resume to a really nice format, and every fucking job I apply for has an online system that tears up the format. Either you have to cut and paste things into their online form, or the resume submitter attempts to scan the resume and fill out the forms on its own, completely fucking up with the format I have chosen.

Just make a god damn list of shit because it seems damn near every submission form doesn't let you submit a pretty formatted resume anyway.

I'm about to apply to a job where I hand in a physical application in a few days. It is entry level crew at a new Trader Joes they are opening in my town, so it's not some huge position I see making a career out of. It doesn't ask for a resume, but I'm thinking about doing one. Do I even need one at this kind of job?

A few points to illustrate my case:

*I haven't had a paying, continuous job since end of summer 2008 due to schooling and health stuff, my schedule is now open enough I can have a part-time job.
*I've had a variety of jobs where I've built good experience, most in customer service and one where I was head male counselor at a camp one summer so I actually delegated duties and oversaw people under me.
*My jobs since I've been in college haven't been for more than a year due to schooling and health coming into play.
*Every job I left though I ended on good terms, I've never been fired and only formally reprimanded once.
*My first job was in grocery and I had that job for over a year and actually was one of the first people they allowed to be a cashier when they eased up on age requirements.
*My "Job" right now is an unpaid writer at a local magazine where it's 4 of us getting it off the ground. We've had fantastic reception and are building a name for ourselves locally. Whole Foods has decided to carry our magazine in all of their stores in the state of Florida, no other local magazine has been able to do this. If we get to the point where we are able to turn this into a paying full-time job for all of us I'll have people under me, other writers. So I don't know if that should be highlighted or simply mentioned in the interview if I get to that stage. I've included the job on the application as a current employer because aside from being the man technology writer they have me serve as the QA guy who combs over the details in the writing to make sure everything is properly laid out and all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted, especially on the pictures when saying what the models are wearing and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom