• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail Perspective on Iterative Hardware (PS4K, Xbox1.5 etc)

Isn't the opposite also true? If both PS4 versions meet consumer demand, retailers will increase their shelf space and push other products aside that are not selling so well.
It's what Microsoft tried with the huge amount of bundles, it's what every successful brand tries, be it for chcolate bars, yoghurts or sports shoes. Add new flavours, new designs, new variations.
Especially in markets where Playstation is very successful they could very well take over parts of the competition's territory.

This is assuming they have enough space for both and they don't have other new products that need space. Otherwise yes.

I think MS just through the bundles to have a spread because some bundled had more stock than other in the first place. But I see your point.

We're also going to start seeing the Toys to Life sections get smaller and the Rock Band reboot was a miss, so retail space isn't a concern this holiday, and likely not a concern next holiday.

Why do you think that? Wasn't there a new TTL game announced? Even if that was just a rumor, Skylanders will have a new game this year, Disney is pumping out the cash hard to catch them, and Lego is not making a sequel but adding more levels and toys.

Not to mention Nintendo will be doing something with Amiibo for NX and the last few Wii U games.

I haven't worked in retail and neither have I attended marketing classes, but I don't get how people are so up in arms for a newer, more powerful sku that shares the library with the existing model.

Rationality out of the window in a microsecond just because they can't brag anymore they have the most powerful system (how they could do that before is beyond me anyway xD):

It's a great move by Sony. They'll be selling lots of base PS4, too. Just wait and see how they will cut the price of the base model while releasing the new one.

And people will buy in droves both models.

However, I also see some placement in the TV's section, and perhaps even in our Magnolia areas, as an add on for the higher end customers, looking to tack on something as way to get an extra oomph out of their higher end purchases.

Interesting idea. Would certainly expand the market. I bet a lot of people going into buy a 4K TV aren't necessarily hitting the games section or will know about the capabilities.

I think that adding something to the cases as a "PS4K" extra notation, or maybe something along those lines would be fine, just to make sure it has the labelling extra on there as a point for it, but making sure to emphasize that the games are all a shared library is important. And also, making game cases even more cramped and messy is just... unnecessary.

Agreed. Such a weird thing to have to balance.

OKAY! Finished. Finally. Hope that is satisfactory Cosmic, haha.

lol. Thanks as always for sharing your insights!

Hence, I really hope the final PS4 neo will support UHD Blu-Rays. It will be a lot harder for retailers to sell PS4 Neo without that.

I know there's a lot of uncertainty on this, but I'm with you. Just can't imagine this without UHD support.

Iwata stated it was because they expected most buyers to already own a DS model and therefore a compatible charger.

Exactly. Makes the Neo vs N3DS comparable a bit problematic.

Why do you think that?

Call it a hunch.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't see a fundamental differences between buying a $400 graphics card to get the latest hotness and buying a $400 premium console to do the same. Whether it's an all in one box or a single component, there's no difference.

Because you can focus every inch of power into the graphics card alone. When you buy a new console, you have to spread the $400 all across one console.

Marlenus

Love how you omitted anything to do with development. ANd how third party having issues getting games out on 3 platforms, now have 4. Love how you also failed to input anything that could also go wrong in the long run for development which has been touched on by contacts from Patrick Kleptick, Colin Moriarty.

The developer/publishers that already are having issues with engine optimization will now use these new specs to brunt force their game codes/Engine issues, instead of actually fixing these.

Such a great one sided discussion.

If your platforms are Xbox one, ps4 and PC then you are talking APIs which means ps4 and ps4k share the same platform.

Because they don't really overlap, and the PC has a completely inferior UE for mass market gaming.

Doesn't matter if it's Steam Machines, A51, Shield, there's enough evidence sales wise to say mass market consumers don't care, and will always buy consoles for most genres.

Steam charts haven't really changed for a while, either.

Top Bottom