• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New002

Yep. You NEVER see them down south. I new if I didn't buy them all I'd regret it later. The guy still had another one with a working monitor but wanted to hang on to it. If he called me tomorrow and offered it at a good price I'd probably end up buying it,lol.

Man those Blast City cabs are lovely. I have a Capcom Impress. Being on the east coast, cabs in general don't pop up to often, so when I saw it I jumped at it. The cab its self has seen better days, with cracks, chips, a cigarette burn lol...but the monitor is flawless. Beggars can't be choosers! I'm happy to have it.

It has UN2 but information on 1 Chip is so hard to find it might not even matter. Soul Blazer title screen lags so the music starts very late when you boot it up.

If it's a yellowed UN2 then it's 99.999% probably not a 1chip.

What does the Soul Blazer thing have to do with a 1chip? Sounds like one of those urban legends things to me. The 1chip only affects image quality, not any kind of performance issue related to lag, timing, or audio.

Rirse

Neo Member
If it's a yellowed UN2 then it's 99.999% probably not a 1chip.

What does the Soul Blazer thing have to do with a 1chip? Sounds like one of those urban legends things to me. The 1chip only affects image quality, not any kind of performance issue related to lag, timing, or audio.

Mine isn't a yellow SNES. It still a gray color. This is the second SNES I had as a kid, as my parents bought a second one to have a second one in the house, the original DID have the yellow and was sold or given away at some point.

Well, can confirm that my Turbo Everdrive's a defect, the copy of Doraemon I got today is working fine.

Hopefully StoneAgeGamer can help me get a replacement unit

Thank God it wasn't the Core Grafx that was the problem

Rirse

Neo Member
Sweet, managed to finally find a UK seller who has a Pal Gamecube for sale. I got my Pro Action Replay I ordered with the original Pal Gamecube order (to use with my Gameboy Player with the Gameboy Interface), but seller flaked out and canceled the order on me. I since bought a NSTC Gamecube and Pro Action Replay to use. Mainly wanted a Pal Gamecube since the Retrovision cables work with them when using the Gameboy Player, which is the only thing I wanted to use the Gamecube for in the first place, as I can just use the WiiU for playing Gamecube games proper.

Timu

Have you seen those Silent Hill 1 and Haunting Gorund pics? Breathtaking.

But the lag with emulators... My God does it hurt in Haunting Ground
Yeah, I did, and they make quite a big difference. I'm more worried with how games run on my PC as even with a i7-6700k, GTX 1070 and 16GB RAM I still can't run PS2 games perfectly.

linko9

The lag with PCSX2 is entirely unplayable if you have windows 10 (or I assume 8). Unlike all other emulators I know, it has no true fullscreen mode; only "fake fullscreen" or "borderless windowed" mode. This means you're subject to Windows' automatic vsync, which cannot be disabled. Trust me, I've spent hours trying to find a workaround, but the consensus seems to be that there's no way around it in windows 10. I swear the lag is around 15 frames (for a 60 fps game) on my setup. What's really frustrating is that no one seems to care. The dev team has no intention of ever implementing a true fullscreen mode (it's a thing of the past!) and pretty much no users complain.

On the other hand, I've gotten amazing results with retroarch. There's a setting "frame delay" that you can turn up as high as your hardware can handle, and it significantly lowers lag, while leaving vsync enabled for smooth scrolling. With NES emulation, I get only 1 additional frame of lag vs. a console, and it's only 1 or 2 with Genesis and SNES as well.

bodine1231

I'd love to get a Sony PVM 20M2U.

Do you guys have any advice for hunting one down, and what a fair price is?

Where are you located? I have a few for sale/trade if your near Louisiana.

If not,just google your state + "video editing" or "video production" and email all of them,ALL-OF-THEM,no matter how small the studio. When I scored my 5 PVM's last week it was a very small studio with a handful of people. I'd also email all news stations in your state as well. Make sure to send the email to both the engineer and the general manager,ESPECIALLY the general manager. I've emailed probably 10 news stations in my state and I heard back from every GM,they'll at least reply with a yes/no or forward your message to someone at the station. But your best bet is local video editing places because they are usually privately owned and will probably hold on to their old equipment.

Also check your local computer or electronics recycling places. I've had a couple GM's at news stations here tell me that's where they bring their old equipment.

Edit: Dotmed is also a great place to score them. I purchased one from this guy and it arrived in good condition. It's a little cheaper than eBay and he's shipped a few so it should arrive safetly.

https://www.dotmed.com/listing/display-monitor/sony/pvm-20m2mdu/1886811

The lag with PCSX2 is entirely unplayable if you have windows 10 (or I assume 8). Unlike all other emulators I know, it has no true fullscreen mode; only "fake fullscreen" or "borderless windowed" mode. This means you're subject to Windows' automatic vsync, which cannot be disabled. Trust me, I've spent hours trying to find a workaround, but the consensus seems to be that there's no way around it in windows 10. I swear the lag is around 15 frames (for a 60 fps game) on my setup. What's really frustrating is that no one seems to care. The dev team has no intention of ever implementing a true fullscreen mode (it's a thing of the past!) and pretty much no users complain.

On the other hand, I've gotten amazing results with retroarch. There's a setting "frame delay" that you can turn up as high as your hardware can handle, and it significantly lowers lag, while leaving vsync enabled for smooth scrolling. With NES emulation, I get only 1 additional frame of lag vs. a console, and it's only 1 or 2 with Genesis and SNES as well.
I don't think this is because of W10. I play games in boderless fullscreen all the time and have never experienced anything like the lag you're describing.

Has anyone done this?

Classic Xbox Component Cable Mod

I want to know how's the quality. I've read that the 3rd party cables suck.

Yeah I did this a little while ago

So I was having issues with the component-out on my XBox last year, turns out it was just a busted cable so I bought a new one. Since the official and Monster ones are expensive I just bought a generic from-China one. Problem is it had really terrible noise, I think it's not shielded properly; direct to my TV the sync info is so bad that the picture shakes and through a scaler it still just has noise/trash all over the screen whenever it's dark.

So I found this youtube video about making your own, and I decided to try it. It turned out really well! I used a high-quality PS2 component cable since I didn't have a 360 one, and I ended up with a really nice quality Xbox cable with no noise. Unlike the video I even managed to salvage the shielding at the multi-AV side.

Worth a shot if you're handy and want a better cable.

Rirse

Neo Member
Asked in the other thread but how I use zoom in Gameboy Interface low latency mode? Or at least change the wallpaper from the purple one from the old software?

AmyS

Where are you located? I have a few for sale/trade if your near Louisiana.

If not,just google your state + "video editing" or "video production" and email all of them,ALL-OF-THEM,no matter how small the studio. When I scored my 5 PVM's last week it was a very small studio with a handful of people. I'd also email all news stations in your state as well. Make sure to send the email to both the engineer and the general manager,ESPECIALLY the general manager. I've emailed probably 10 news stations in my state and I heard back from every GM,they'll at least reply with a yes/no or forward your message to someone at the station. But your best bet is local video editing places because they are usually privately owned and will probably hold on to their old equipment.

Also check your local computer or electronics recycling places. I've had a couple GM's at news stations here tell me that's where they bring their old equipment.

Edit: Dotmed is also a great place to score them. I purchased one from this guy and it arrived in good condition. It's a little cheaper than eBay and he's shipped a few so it should arrive safetly.

https://www.dotmed.com/listing/display-monitor/sony/pvm-20m2mdu/1886811

Thanks for all the info! I'm in northern Illinois BTW.

Cool. I actually tried doing it once but I screwed the Pb cable so it's missing some colors. I plan on redoing it but I just wanted to know if it is worth it.

How did you salvage thr metal shielding?

I think I carefully bent it flat, pulled it out, re-wrapped it on and covered with tape to avoid sharp edges.

You really need to test these things before finishing them off. Did you cover it with glue already?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sup homies. I'm selling some stuff. I think the only thing people here might be interested in would be the JP21 cables that I'm selling. They're all from retro-console-accessories, and all of them have the coax upgrade. I have:

JP-21 to SCART adapter (coax upgrade)

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Edit: Everything except the JP-21 to SCART cable is gone.

linko9

I don't think this is because of W10. I play games in boderless fullscreen all the time and have never experienced anything like the lag you're describing.

Don't know what to tell you. This is documented by many people all across the internet, it's caused by dwm.exe which forces triple buffering and cannot be disabled. Here are some quick links from different sites of people describing the issue. In all cases, the only solution is to play in fullscreen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4og4wt/borderless_gaming_on_windows_10_and_forced_dwm/
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/354258
https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-input-lag-investigation/4407/416

It absolutely does cause input lag, and for me it's very noticeable. That said, if you do really think you have a solution, I (and many other people) would love to know what it is. Some people have apparently had success in forcing dwm.exe to close before launching an app, but generally this will just crash your PC.

jsnepo

I think I carefully bent it flat, pulled it out, re-wrapped it on and covered with tape to avoid sharp edges.

You really need to test these things before finishing them off. Did you cover it with glue already?

I haven't. It is still exposed. I actually prefer not to cover it with glue and just use the metal shielding. Can you show a picture of your mod so I'll have an idea? I also seen another video in Youtube with the shielding intact. The uploader hasn't answered my query yet.

bobble

hey so i got the zeldaxpro hdmi dongle for GC... i'm really happy with it! my TV isn't the absolute sharpest at upscaling 480p but it's the best i've seen my GC look (plus I'll never be able to pull the trigger on components). there is a way to get into an option menu for a couple resolution choices and a few other options but none of the remote controls around my apartment seem to work. anyway, here are a few cruddy off screen phone pics!

XptZXEm.jpg
tXPAdMv.jpg

BprttSB.jpg
xHl5yvU.jpg

Don't know what to tell you. This is documented by many people all across the internet, it's caused by dwm.exe which forces triple buffering and cannot be disabled. Here are some quick links from different sites of people describing the issue. In all cases, the only solution is to play in fullscreen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4og4wt/borderless_gaming_on_windows_10_and_forced_dwm/
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/354258
https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-input-lag-investigation/4407/416

It absolutely does cause input lag, and for me it's very noticeable. That said, if you do really think you have a solution, I (and many other people) would love to know what it is. Some people have apparently had success in forcing dwm.exe to close before launching an app, but generally this will just crash your PC.
I realize it causes input lag. you said 15 frames. If the lag was that bad I'd feel it instantly in Mushihimesama or when playing MonHun.

Yeah, that lag should be in line with other vsync solutions. so a frame or less.

bobble

hey so i got the zeldaxpro hdmi dongle for GC... i'm really happy with it! my TV isn't the absolute sharpest at upscaling 480p but it's the best i've seen my GC look (plus I'll never be able to pull the trigger on components). there is a way to get into an option menu for a couple resolution choices and a few other options but none of the remote controls around my apartment seem to work. anyway, here are a few cruddy off screen phone pics!

actually it turns out the OSSC remote can be programmed for this - so most folks that might be interested might already have a remote handy! there aren't too many options in the menu but it's there if you need to adjust stuff.

actually it turns out the OSSC remote can be programmed for this - so most folks that might be interested might already have a remote handy! there aren't too many options in the menu but it's there if you need to adjust stuff.

Thanks for the pics and the tips!

RedFox85

Scored an HD Retrovision cable for my model 1 genesis... I don't even know how to describe it, it's just so much better than the default composite AV cable it's really something. I hooked up the composite and switched back and forth a few times, the extra details in textures and the lack of extreme blurring here really cause the image to pop. Took a few pics on my Trinitron but I honestly don't know if pics do it justice.

http://i.imgur.com/wcWqSTP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/R9AEojM.jpg

Completely IN LOVE with this thing, expensive yes but the quality upgrade is there.

**Edit images were huge, sorry!

Scored an HD Retrovision cable for my model 1 genesis... I don't even know how to describe it, it's just so much better than the default composite AV cable it's really something. I hooked up the composite and switched back and forth a few times, the extra details in textures and the lack of extreme blurring here really cause the image to pop. Took a few pics on my Trinitron but I honestly don't know if pics do it justice.

http://i.imgur.com/wcWqSTP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/R9AEojM.jpg

Completely IN LOVE with this thing, expensive yes but the quality upgrade is there.

**Edit images were huge, sorry!

What model Trinitron are you running?

Danny Dudekisser

Damn, y'all work quick. Looks like the 3 JP21 system cables I had are spoken for. All that's left is the JP-21 to SCART cable with the coax connection.

If anyone's interested, PM me, etc. etc.

Yes Boss!

Damn, y'all work quick. Looks like the 3 JP21 system cables I had are spoken for. All that's left is the JP-21 to SCART cable with the coax connection.

If anyone's interested, PM me, etc. etc.

I wish you had a JP21 MD cable as I have an extra MD here with Herzog Zwei and need one of those. Whah! Been played my o composite for the last year.

Danny Dudekisser

I wish you had a JP21 MD cable as I have an extra MD here with Herzog Zwei and need one of those. Whah! Been played my o composite for the last year.

Well, I'm in the unfortunate position of needing like 5 SCART cables now, so uh... yeah, I feel your pain.

Rirse

Neo Member
I'm still very happy with my big ass Panasonic CRT with component, but how is the OSSC these days? I remember hearing it improved a lot since the My Life in Gaming video about it. Also kinda curious if it works on a 4K TV.

I'm still very happy with my big ass Panasonic CRT with component, but how is the OSSC these days? I remember hearing it improved a lot since the My Life in Gaming video about it. Also kinda curious if it works on a 4K TV.

Depends on the TV. As of the latest firmware, it works marvelously on my KS8000, but compatibility between different sets is a mixed bag. Since the firmware update and having it modded for digital audio out via DVI/HDMI, it has become an integral part of my setup.

Rirse

Neo Member
Depends on the TV. As of the latest firmware, it works marvelously on my KS8000, but compatibility between different sets is a mixed bag. Since the firmware update and having it modded for digital audio out via DVI/HDMI, it has become an integral part of my setup.

That good to hear. Since I can't get their website to load, how much is it these days, especially compared to the Framemeister.

That good to hear. Since I can't get their website to load, how much is it these days, especially compared to the Framemeister.

per their site:

£162.00 price includes VAT
£135.00 price excluding VAT
Add PSU (multi-region) (+£5.65)
Add Remote (+£6.65)

So it's about 200 bucks compared to the Framemeister @$338.19.

Rirse

Neo Member
per their site:

£162.00 price includes VAT
£135.00 price excluding VAT
Add PSU (multi-region) (+£5.65)
Add Remote (+£6.65)

So it's about 200 bucks compared to the Framemeister @$338.19.

Not too bad. By the way, what up with their website. I can't get it to load at all today and yesterday. It not listed as being down but it just a white screen for me.

Peltz

I'd love to get a Sony PVM 20M2U.

Do you guys have any advice for hunting one down, and what a fair price is?

That's my main retro monitor. It's a good one.

I paid around $90 3 or so years ago. So i'd think it'd probably go for around $200 or so today. I don't really know how to get good monitors other than on craigslist. And depending on where you live, that may not be feasible.

bodine1231

Classic Gamefest is in Austin this weekend. If at least two gaffers here want to purchase a PVM I'll make the drive out there and can deliver it to you in person. I've never been to a game convention so I'm kinda looking for an excuse to go. I may even take some trade for NES games if it's a good one. I'll put this in the BST thread tonight just wanted to give peeps here first shot.

3x PVM 1954q - $250
PVM 2030 (new caps) $375
PVM 20M4U (won't power on) $200

TeaJay

I couldn't stock up even if I knew, since supply is very limited out here in Finland. I'm lucky to have picked up one for myself (20M4E).

Peagles

I kinda get the 20L5 going for more cos people go nuts for multisync, but I still think it's foolish to drop that much cash on something that volatile.

Then again that's a lot of cash for me, it could be a pittance to others.

bodine1231

I kinda get the 20L5 going for more cos people go nuts for multisync, but I still think it's foolish to drop that much cash on something that volatile.

Then again that's a lot of cash for me, it could be a pittance to others.

That's why I'm so nervous about buying another monitor for my arcade cabinet. They are awesome but it's just a matter of time before they break down.

That's why I'm so nervous about buying another monitor for my arcade cabinet. They are awesome but it's just a matter of time before they break down.

I think I'm happy enough with the ossc/ks8000 combo to finally be at peace with the inevitable death of the crts. Eventually their won't be any left and we will all be playing through scalers of some sort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom