• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaJay

2xAAA batteries, and they run them dry pretty fast. I will start plugging mine on when it's dark in the evenings again...

Rirse

Neo Member
So I got around to testing the Dreamcast, two PS1, and PS2 I had to see what I can do with them using a control Theatrymnth bonus soundtrack CD I had. The Dreamcast starts up and everything, but flat refuses to read both that CD and the old burned CD I made back in 2001. The PSX (original model PS1 with the digital port on the right that I was using for a Gameshark) starts up, but won't read either the soundtrack cd or the old Jampack Volume 2 I found.

The PSOne (the redesign) plays the CD, but hangs on the title card for the Jampack, which isn't a big surprise how scratched that disc is. The PS2 Slim reads the CD, boots up the jampack successfully, reads a random DVD I put into it, and then rejects the Swap Magic disc ("disc not recognized") and gives the red error on the Pro Action Replay disc.

So what should I do with the Dreamcast if it can't read discs? The PS2 Slim has the top replaced for use with the Swap Magic, but the disc isn't working, so can I still do it without one?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So I got around to testing the Dreamcast, two PS1, and PS2 I had to see what I can do with them using a control Theatrymnth bonus soundtrack CD I had. The Dreamcast starts up and everything, but flat refuses to read both that CD and the old burned CD I made back in 2001. The PSX (original model PS1 with the digital port on the right that I was using for a Gameshark) starts up, but won't read either the soundtrack cd or the old Jampack Volume 2 I found.

The PSOne (the redesign) plays the CD, but hangs on the title card for the Jampack, which isn't a big surprise how scratched that disc is. The PS2 Slim reads the CD, boots up the jampack successfully, reads a random DVD I put into it, and then rejects the Swap Magic disc ("disc not recognized") and gives the red error on the Pro Action Replay disc.

So what should I do with the Dreamcast if it can't read discs? The PS2 Slim has the top replaced for use with the Swap Magic, but the disc isn't working, so can I still do it without one?

Maybe I'm missing some context here, but if the Dreamcast isn't reading CDs, that's not necessarily the hardware failing -- DC systems produced after like... September 2000 removed the ability to play CDs, and could only run GD-ROMs.

Rirse

Neo Member
Maybe I'm missing some context here, but if the Dreamcast isn't reading CDs, that's not necessarily the hardware failing -- DC systems produced after like... September 2000 removed the ability to play CDs, and could only run GD-ROMs.

That a good point. I found this Dreamcast with the box and everything sitting on top of a trashcan in front of Gamestop a few years ago. Never could try anything on it.

Kapow

Damn, just picked up a 32" Sony Wega but the geometry on it is pretty messed up. Anyone have any luck with actually fixing something like that or would i be wasting my time trying to tweak it myself?

Damn, just picked up a 32" Sony Wega but the geometry on it is pretty messed up. Anyone have any luck with actually fixing something like that or would i be wasting my time trying to tweak it myself?

You can get alot of milage out of the service menu but some issues are unfixable.

Keep in mind flat screen crts are never going to be perfect

Kapow

You can get alot of milage out of the service menu but some issues are unfixable.

Keep in mind flat screen crts are never going to be perfect

Yeah I've been messing around with the service menu but it doesn't look like ill be able to fix my problems with it. On my screen, straight lines on the screen curve upwards in the top right corner and downwards in the bottom right corner. It's not that dramatic but my eyes are sensitive to this stuff and when you play a lot of slow scrolling rpg's, it tends to be more jarring.

Mike Golf

Yeah I've been messing around with the service menu but it doesn't look like ill be able to fix my problems with it. On my screen, straight lines on the screen curve upwards in the top right corner and downwards in the bottom right corner. It's not that dramatic but my eyes are sensitive to this stuff and when you play a lot of slow scrolling rpg's, it tends to be more jarring.

I feel your pain, just gotta realize perfect geometry on most sets (especially consumer ones) is not possible and you do what you can to mitigate it.

I'm sensitive to geometry as well and you're right, for slower scrolling RPGs it can be a pain. Hopefully your set performs fairly well elsewhere to make up for it.

Real talk, if it's bothering you when it's not very bad, CRTs just might not be the way to go.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of the following two setup options? Basically, looking at the difference (if any) between mostly RGB vs mostly component for about four or five consoles. I realize it will depend on the quality of the cables and kit but I would be using the best quality I can reasonably find.

Multiple SCART cables --> SCART switcher --> SCART to component adaptor --> Trinitron TV component input

Multiple component cables (including 2x HDRV ones) + one SCART to component adaptor setup (for a Famicom) --> component switcher --> Trinitron TV component input

Maxpacker

You can fix this with magnets if you are brave enough to open it up. Though I don't reccomend anyone do this unless you are comfortable around high voltage electronics.

fLPTiVyl.jpg

GocXVlMl.jpg

This is about as good as I could get my 27" trinitron with service menu tweaks and magnets, not perfect but way better than when I first got it. Certainly not noticable in game.

Kapow

You can fix this with magnets if you are brave enough to open it up. Though I don't reccomend anyone do this unless you are comfortable around high voltage electronics.

fLPTiVyl.jpg

GocXVlMl.jpg

This is about as good as I could get my 27" trinitron with service menu tweaks and magnets, not perfect but way better than when I first got it. Certainly not noticable in game.

Do you have a link to a guide on how to do this?

Maxpacker

Do you have a link to a guide on how to do this?

First you need the 240p test suite. I use the sega cd version but you can get it for other systems too. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=240p_test_suite. I use a scart connection through a rgb>component converter to the tv.

Then I reccomend you find the service manual for the model of your tv. I found mine quite easily and downloaded it. You will need this to know what the service menu codes do. Always write down the default codes before you start changing stuff.

Opening the tv can be dangerous, and you can also make things worse if you dont know what you're doing, but if you really want to you can google search fixing crt geometry and adjusting crt yokes. But don't say I didn't warn you. Adjusting focus is very easy though through a knob labeled focus on the flyback transformer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBqm4ThJxw

televator

I've had my PS4 Pro now for a couple of weeks and I'm blown away by the picture quality on games like Horizon. It feels like a box that trully pushes the capabilities of my plasma and handily demostrates that good modern TVs really have gone further than before in ability to display wide shades of color. I can only imagine what this would look like on an HDR OLED.

Kapow

First you need the 240p test suite. I use the sega cd version but you can get it for other systems too. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=240p_test_suite. I use a scart connection through a rgb>component converter to the tv.

Then I reccomend you find the service manual for the model of your tv. I found mine quite easily and downloaded it. You will need this to know what the service menu codes do. Always write down the default codes before you start changing stuff.

Opening the tv can be dangerous, and you can also make things worse if you dont know what you're doing, but if you really want to you can google search fixing crt geometry and adjusting crt yokes. But don't say I didn't warn you. Adjusting focus is very easy though through a knob labeled focus on the flyback transformer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBqm4ThJxw

Thanks for the info! I'm probably gonna have a go at it this weekend, i'll post my results when i'm done

Peltz

I sure am!

Also hey Irish!

Sent you a PM.

By the way... just a general question for the thread, does anyone here watch SD content on their PVM? I asked about this previously, and over the last few weeks I've been doing this. I started watching an old Neon Genesis Evangelion box set of DVDs I own on my CRT (for the first time actually) and it looks freaking amazing. Like even though it's 480i, it looks almost HD-like because it's so clean. I'm watching the Platinum set, by the way. I've only watched it in 480p upscaled previously, but it looks a lot more natural on the PVM.

I've also been streaming the first few SD seasons of Family Guy to my CRT via Netflix on my Wii and it also looks pretty great (although a bit noisy in some scenes where something isn't scaling back down to 480i properly). And I may also watch Twin Peaks the same way (as someone here suggested).

It's my preferred way of viewing old SDTV content now.

Sent you a PM.

By the way... just a general question for the thread, does anyone here watch SD content on their PVM? I asked about this previously, and over the last few weeks I've been doing this. I started watching an old Neon Genesis Evangelion box set of DVDs I own my CRT (for the first time actually) and it looks freaking amazing. Like even though it's 480i, it looks almost HD-like because it's so clean.

I watched Evangelion on my KV27FS120 Trinitron a few years ago. Looked great then so PVM must be amazing.

Peltz

I watched Evangelion on my KV27FS120 Trinitron a few years ago. Looked great then so PVM must be amazing.

It really is! I've owned the Platinum collection for over a decade now and never knew how gorgeous the DVDs could look until now.

I just wish there were a good option for watching End of Evangelion in HD like it deserves to be seen.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It really is! I've owned the Platinum collection for over a decade now and never knew how gorgeous the DVDs could look until now.

I just wish there were a good option for watching End of Evangelion in HD like it deserves to be seen.

Manga didn't exactly do a good job with the DVDs, either, so it's pretty bad even by DVD standards. And, as I recall, the menus were broken for the language selection. So ghetto.

The show and movies did come out on BD in Japan a couple years ago, so it has to get a stateside release at some point... right? I hope :-/

Fallen92

I was watching the Lion King platinum edition when I first got my 1354q and it looked amazing I was very surprised. I also used the thx optimizer to calibrate some settings before getting my cables and using the 240p test suite. I might watch some more DVDs I have since they look real good on the PVM.

Mike Golf

SD content sure does look amazing on a well adjusted/calibrated set and naturally doubly so on a PVM/BVM.

A while back I was watching through my (missing box set 2 and 4) DBZ Dragon Box collection and it looked so damn good.

I have the Evangelion Platinum set too, too bad it didn't include the last two episodes/movies. I ended up buying a bootleg DVD years ago to see how it finally ended.
It was weird and sad.

Justinh

Does that RetroUSB controller work with the Analogue NT Mini?
Should work on any NES/Fami model (as long as it has a controller port) and all clone systems from what I understand.

From their facebook:
PXWar6d.png

Something that I noticed and wished I mentioned earlier is that this controller is pretty loud with the clicks and clacks, so that should probably be considered if people are thinking about using it in the middle of the night if they live with others. I've seen people complain about this on the Nintendo Age forums too.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So guys, i got this Super Famicom who was sold as defect. It works, but there are some feally strange artifacting that is hard to show off in pictures. It is visible on a black screen though. those small white dots all over the screen. Anybody seen something like this before?

Btw, using an rgb cable with sync on luma, made for an rgb-modded N64 since my normal Snes is pal. Dont know if that is important or not.

Have you tried the 240p test suite linked in the OP? I don't know if there's a DVD version, but a CD version exists for Mega CD IIRC.

I want to get a Sega CD mostly so that I can use 240p Test Suite, lol. It would be great if a DVD version would allow for use on a PS2. Though I imagine it wouldn't output DVD video at 240, so I suppose it's pointless.

dubc35

I want to get a Sega CD mostly so that I can use 240p Test Suite, lol. It would be great if a DVD version would allow for use on a PS2. Though I imagine it wouldn't output DVD video at 240, so I suppose it's pointless.
Stock ps2's also can't output DVD videos via RGB...found that out after buying a calibration DVD to do just that, doh!

Edit, to clarify, they can output them but it's washed out in green.

Stock ps2's also can't output DVD videos via RGB...found that out after buying a calibration DVD to do just that, doh!

Edit, to clarify, they can output them but it's washed out in green.

Would changing the color settings from ypbpr to rgb fix that though? Unless DVD playback over RGB is prohibited via software.

Bendo

So guys, i got this Super Famicom who was sold as defect. It works, but there are some feally strange artifacting that is hard to show off in pictures. It is visible on a black screen though. those small white dots all over the screen. Anybody seen something like this before?

Btw, using an rgb cable with sync on luma, made for an rgb-modded N64 since my normal Snes is pal. Dont know if that is important or not.

According to retrorgb.com you shouldn't mix PAL and NTSC cables. Also csync is recommended for best quality unless you have one of the systems which doesn't output csync.

It might not be the cable creating the noise, but it certainly would be my first bet.

Peltz

Cross posting:

My PVM is getting very finicky on the BNC port that accepts the red video input (red as in Red/Green/Blue for either RGB or Component).

Unless it's inserted and the exact right angle, the PVM won't recognize the signal. Otherwise my set is in amazing condition. And once the signal is recognized, it stays solid unless the wire is disturbed.

Is there any way to make the BNC port more "solid" for accepting an input so I don't need to keep fiddling with it?

Edit:

I actually found this video, which I will try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef8Kqr4MJfc

But if anyone else has experience with this I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Like I said, I've definitely considered it. What's the best use of the machine on a 4:3 CRT? I'm not much into emulated games, tbh. Do native Wii games look good? I have a GameCube and while it's one of the only non-HD consoles I do not have hooked up to my CRT right now, I'm planning to add it to that setup eventually, mainly for GameBoy Player (if I can figure out how to use GBI - seriously, I am not good at that kind of stuff).

Like I said, I've definitely considered it. What's the best use of the machine on a 4:3 CRT? I'm not much into emulated games, tbh. Do native Wii games look good? I have a GameCube and while it's one of the only non-HD consoles I do not have hooked up to my CRT right now, I'm planning to add it to that setup eventually, mainly for GameBoy Player (if I can figure out how to use GBI - seriously, I am not good at that kind of stuff).

Wii games look great @ 480i on a CRT. It's kind of a toss up wether they look better like that or @480p on a flat panel. 480p stuff should be played on a vga monitor or one of those Rare pvm/bvms capable of 31khz.

Wii vc does 240p and looks phenomenal. I know yes boss! Is a big fan of that. I'm not a big emulator guy either but the official Nintendo vc stuff is quite good and with rom injection it's a great way to play all the 8/16 bit games that might be out of your price range.

Edit:gbi is a godsend. You need to figure it out!

Depends on the game. There are some 16:9-only Wii games, especially later games, including some of the best games on the system. New Super Mario Bros Wii, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Xenoblade for example should absolutely be done on an HDTV in 480p.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I thought 240p test suite didn't have any color correction screens? I have it on my Wii and will have to take a look at it later.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
According to retrorgb.com you shouldn't mix PAL and NTSC cables. Also csync is recommended for best quality unless you have one of the systems which doesn't output csync.

It might not be the cable creating the noise, but it certainly would be my first bet.

Its an ntsc-cable for the n64, so im not mixing pal and ntsc. However, it might be the way its wired thats causing the problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom