• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sort of semi-serious actually. It makes complete sense from a business standpoint to just get rid of manuals altogether as they don't really serve a purpose anymore considering how tiny and useless they've become.

Yep, especially if your next console has a screen on the controller.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Looking in the manual was always a part of the experience in early days. If you couldn't figure something out, you would read the story and see if there were any clues, read the controls again, read the enemies list, read the tips, etc. You look through all the concept art in the manual. Metal Gear had a frequency on the back of the box that you needed. The experience in modern games is lacking.

Mixing the manual and the gameplay is a vital mistake in modern design.

Or having to take a dump while playing Ocarina of Time taking the manual with you to stare at the pretty art and let your imagination go wild as to where the game would take you next!

Dr.Hadji

Every new Zelda game does things differently. Some are a success in the eyes of gamers and other are not. But Nintendo never evolves the good ideas into something better i.e. the involving sidequests in Majora's Mask, the real time open world in Wind Waker, the pointer functionality of weapons in TP. They abandon progress and return to the Ocarina of Time template. And once again we end up with a mixed bag of new ideas that faintly wiffs of stagnation.

They do them all the time. I do get your point though. There is no evolved element that clearly MM side quests and ___________. But MM's side quests are pretty much unique to any game and is largely dependent on a real-time, cycle. But if you look at it a little more generally you can see the influence echo throughout the series. Though I find it funny that on one hand you complain about "same old same old" then complain they don't more faithfully rip off previous elements in the series.

maeda

So the made up Zelda game Retro Studios is developing in dream world is a Zelda spinoff so we shouldn't worry? Whew.
Give the genre some credit. The evidence points towards Retro Studios working on a First Person Shooter, but it would likely be an FPA like the original Metroid Prime and Bioshock. Not exactly a typical dudebro FPS.
What evidence do we have about Retro working on an FPS? If anything we have quotes by Miyamoto saying that Retro would be a good fit for the series and quotes by Aonuma saying maybe it's time for Zelda to get her own game. So yeah, I would like to see that evidence about Retro doing an FPS.

televator

As much as I think Zelda could use some new ideas, I think something like Starfox makes more sense. It's something that fans have been hungry for, Nintendo wants to show off what WiiU can do in HD to its old core audience, and if there's a dev out there that can do sci-fi oriented games...it's Retro without a doubt.

HD Retro StarFox.... *makes oh face* I might just get a WiiU after all.

Edit: Saw the Miyamoto quote. It blew my mind that Zelda is on the table, but still...I'm not getting my hopes up that high.

spanks

WAT IS HAPPENING

eternaldarkness_050702_4_640w.jpg

I actually think an Eternal Darkness sequel is plausible, considering the recent activity at Silicon Knights and Nintendo's probable willingness to take advantage of the recent tax-break boom in Canada. In collaboration with Retro, of course.

From most likely to least, I'd go:

1. Starfox
2. Metroid
3. Zelda spinoff
4. Eternal Darkness
5. F-Zero
6. Zelda traditional installment
7. Startropics
8. Mach Rider
9. New IP
10. Donkey Kong Country R 2

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought Eternal Darkness 2 was all but confirmed

There's no absolutes, because there's always the "Dennis Dyack is full of shit" factor :p. But the signs, if truthful, are good.

Optional tutorial is always the best way of doing things. Prompt the players when they start a new game if they'd like to run through the tutorial so that players have the option of skipping it.

Just put it in the instruction manual and keep it out of the game completely - it just junks up the game putting in a bunch of clutter. I don't even want to be asked. I want to put a game in, push power, get the title screen and press start and immediately start playing. No tutorials disguised as missions or any damn thing.

Mudkips

Banned
It's when inept management discovers that an aggressive release schedule is unobtainable without:
A. Delaying the schedule.
B. Taking away game features.
C. Releasing a buggy game.
D. Making it a requirement that everyone work long hours.

And they choose D because that's how things go these days.

They choose B, C, and D.

smug

Banned
I'm not sure star fox is or should be that high on the list.. the game doesn't have much pull popularity wise.. I highly doubt a new IP because Nintendo just doesn't seem interested in the risk. I would have to go with Metroid.. even though it's sales have slumped since Prime 2 it would probably do better than Star Fox. I'm pretty sure Star Fox on 3DS sold pretty poorly and it vanished since the gamecube game I believe (not including the DS one, does this even count?). They really haven't pushed anything star fox other than the 3ds remake and again, not very good sales from my knowledge.

I hope it's not star fox, the series is over rated imo.. I would LOVE for retro to return to Metroid and it's a very high possibility as they mentioned in a developers video diary at Retro Studios that they would like to return to the series.

Darryl

Banned
There was a poster on here who mentioned a rumor about them pulling it all at the last second and replaced it with the 3DS Scott section. I really believe that rumor. That entire press conference was completely unorganized. Scott was scared to death up there, he hadn't rehearsed. It felt completely like filler. Why else would they have that 3DS section in there after they told everyone they wouldn't and announced a completely separate date for it? They probably thought they had left just enough stuff there to 'win' this year and didn't want to over-announce. I bet we're not going to hear anything about it until close to E3 next year.

Log4Girlz

There was a poster on here who mentioned a rumor about them pulling it all at the last second and replaced it with the 3DS Scott section. I really believe that rumor. That entire press conference was completely unorganized. Scott was scared to death up there, he hadn't rehearsed. It felt completely like filler. Why else would they have that 3DS section in there after they told everyone they wouldn't and announced a completely separate date for it? They probably thought they had left just enough stuff there to 'win' this year and didn't want to over-announce. I bet we're not going to hear anything about it until close to E3 next year.

This would not surprise me.

guit3457

If we were Nintendo we would do the same. I thinks this E3 was a total failure. But, they have to fight against 720/PS4 announcements next year so it makes perfect sense to wait until then to show the big things and have a decent fight at the end of 2013. This considering that the system has some horsepower (wich don't believe anymore)

I really believe it will be more annoncements from here to the launch. And I'm not talking about Tokyo Game Show.

Pre

This actually makes sense, especially considering how nervous Scott was up there. You could tell that he wasn't ready to speak in front a crowd that size.

monome

No excuse. Nintendo executives deserve a dokouso spanking.

MS had Halo 4/Gears
Sony had Last of Us/Beyond.
Pikmin 3 is fine (or great) but this is E3, Nintendo is fucked up crazy to treat the show like a Procter & Gamble commercial.
Kamiya on stage would have been great. That poor (yet rich) WB guy was terrible...

I dunno, seems like clutching at straws to me. Nintendo's plainly not showing anything off past the end of the year.

Log4Girlz

I hope whatever Retro is working on really pushes the Wii U. None of the games shown at E3 look to take advantage of any of the supposed specs released. They all look Ipad quality or sub current-gen, relying more on style and the gimmick of the tablet than anything else.

When compared to Last of Us or Beyond, nothing stands up. Now, even with the rumored specs, matching these games will be no walk in the park, it takes time, effort, skill and a fat budget.

The question is...when do we get to see what they are working on? Will it be teased tomorrow? Will we have to wait until next E3?

Bah, I hate that the rumored specs thread was closed, it was nice arguing graphics lolz.

makes sense. Unfortunately.

Log4Girlz

I wonder if it was because what Retro was working on was too early and didn't compare favorably to what current gen software was pushing. Would be embarrassing if it was meant to showcase the graphics of the Wii U, so instead they concentrate on showing games that were never meant to push the machine.

clemenx

Banned
I understand the disappointment but some of you sound as if you guys are gonna die within the Wii U launch and won't be able to play what comes after.

I can wait for Retro and EAD1

Caramello

I said multiple times that I didn't think we'd see Retro Studios next game so I'm not surprised but I'm still a bit disappointed.. Good news is that next E3 should deliver the goods!

I wonder if it was because what Retro was working on was too early and didn't compare favorably to what current gen software was pushing. Would be embarrassing if it was meant to showcase the graphics of the Wii U, so instead they concentrate on showing games that were never meant to push the machine.

This is the most logical reason I can think of to explain why Retro's game wasn't at E3. I'm wondering though how legit the "crunch time this year" quote was. Where was that actually stated?

Darryl

Banned
This is the most logical reason I can think of to explain why Retro's game wasn't at E3. I'm wondering though how legit the "crunch time this year" quote was. Where was that actually stated?

I think it was by the Eric guy at the very start of this thread. He was talking about people bringing in MST2K DVDs to help crunch time or something.

iceatcs

I understand the disappointment but some of you sound as if you guys are gonna die within the Wii U launch and won't be able to play what comes after.

I can wait for Retro and EAD1
Don't forget Dec 21st this year. We are going to die.

bomma_man

In one of the other threads Alberto said they could've shown it but they chose not to.

ozfunghi

If we were Nintendo we would do the same. I thinks this E3 was a total failure. But, they have to fight against 720/PS4 announcements next year so it makes perfect sense to wait until then to show the big things and have a decent fight at the end of 2013. This considering that the system has some horsepower (wich don't believe anymore)

I really believe it will be more annoncements from here to the launch. And I'm not talking about Tokyo Game Show.

What? Their first year is going to be crucial. If they want to have something to fight the PS4/Durango, they have to do it NOW. Make their console a viable platform, have it in 10 million homes before the competition launches. If they screw up in the year leading to the release of the competing consoles, who is going to bother with a WiiU if it hasn't established itself and the PS4/Durango are on store shelves?

Now was the time to blow people away with stuff like the next Retro game. And something like Watch_dogs should have been a lock for WiiU, demoed during their conference. Instead we got old (down)ports.

Darryl

Banned
What? Their first year is going to be crucial. If they want to have something to fight the PS4/Durango, they have to do it NOW. Make their console a viable platform, have it in 10 million homes before the competition launches. If they screw up in the year leading to the release of the competing consoles, who is going to bother with a WiiU if it hasn't established itself and the PS4/Durango are on store shelves?

Now was the time to blow people away with stuff like the next Retro game. And something like Watch_dogs should have been a lock for WiiU, demoed during their conference. Instead we got old (down)ports.

I agree with this if PS4/720 are significantly more powerful and Nintendo needs to manipulate themselves into the power position. If they aren't, than having this full year to themselves and have enough titles to compete directly sounds far superior. The rumors that I've heard about the other consoles aren't too great. Nintendo might have inside information.

I agree with this if PS4/720 are significantly more powerful and Nintendo needs to manipulate themselves into the power position. If they aren't, than having this full year to themselves and have enough titles to compete directly sounds far superior. The rumors that I've heard about the other consoles aren't too great. Nintendo might have inside information.

what rumours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom