• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios moved to a new larger office

Boom! Another 2012 Vigil hire.

Was Senior Character Artist at Vigil for three years, now Level 3 Character Artist at Retro.

Worked on a number of Vigil games, including creating characters and props for both Darksiders! :O

So 4 so far; 2 proper, and 2 contract. All artists!

Come on...give us hints as to what Retro is working on!

We won't bite...honest! ;-)

Darn it! For a second there it sounded like you were a Retro employee...

I'd love some hints. Hell, I'd be put under an NDA if it meant learning about what Retro is working on next. The hype's making me delusional...

That would be a fucking honor and a half if I was, I'd never want to leave! *blushes*

Aw I don't have a fraction of the talent, I don't even code shit! XD

No real indication the bannings were from here, but I guess some might've been for the creepier stuff? o_O

Yeah, no-one was banned in here for this thread. It did get a bit... weird though.

Übermatik;43199450 said:
Reminds me of the old RETRO stalking thread where I squatted outside an employee's house for 3 hours to try get some info...

Good times.

What info did you expect to get? Were you planning to confront them? Determine the game they were working on based on their gait? Looking at building plans is one thing, but you were way out of fucking line.

LMFAO, just looked back at this. The guy thought I was serious... aaaaaahahah.

I see, so you're not finish with not deciphering from the shredded documents team alpha did not recover from the trash can, I take it.

There's just... too much. So many documents on Iwata's hair.

Meelow

Banned
how many games retro's working on? at least 2?

From Wiki.

2002: Metroid Prime - GameCube
2004: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - GameCube
2006: Metroid Prime Hunters - DS - Supervision and art direction only
2007: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Wii
2009: Metroid Prime Trilogy - Wii - Trilogy of Prime 1/2/3
2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns - Wii
2011: Mario Kart 7 - 3DS - Donkey Kong-related assets and re-building "retro courses."
20XX: Untitled Project - Wii U - "a project everyone wants us to do"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
From Wiki.

2002: Metroid Prime - GameCube
2004: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - GameCube
2006: Metroid Prime Hunters - DS - Supervision and art direction only
2007: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Wii
2009: Metroid Prime Trilogy - Wii - Trilogy of Prime 1/2/3
2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns - Wii
2011: Mario Kart 7 - 3DS - Donkey Kong-related assets and re-building "retro courses."
20XX: Untitled Project - Wii U - "a project everyone wants us to do"
Why do people keep saying this? Retro never said this.

Tehalemi

This thread makes me sad. I miss him ):

;_; Man this thread brought back some feels. Thanks for the updates Hero! :D

No...you want Super Metroid 2.
I want Metroid Prime 4, because of that stupid cliff hanger on the 100% ending for Metroid Prime 3.

And after realizing back then that Retro was done with the series:

tumblr_m0uqoxTlt51qjrxbg.gif

Randdalf

Are 'levels' a usual phrase in industry positions? Or are there at least three studios at Rare?

I suspect it's a Japanese thing since Retro are essentially Nintendo's experiment in trying to install a Japanese work ethos into a foreign company. There was an article about it a few weeks ago, how the high turnover rates of staff in American developers doesn't suit the Nintendo's style of development.

That's pretty standard.

Oh. :(

Zoe

The wording may differ from place to place, but it's a way to indicate proficiency in more than just "junior" and "senior."

Servbot24

Banned
Really want Metroid based on isolation again.

A new IP might be cool too, but based on Retro's generic character designs in Hunters and MP3 I don't know if I want that from them.

Übermatik;47012976 said:
Oh by the way, I messaged RETRO on Facebook about 2 months ago. Thought there reponse was interesting.

*salute*

They should put that on their front page of their website, it's VERY insightful! :D

Lunar15

Übermatik;47012976 said:
Oh by the way, I messaged RETRO on Facebook about 2 months ago. Thought there reponse was interesting.

AKA: "We can't really say anything because the Nintendo Ninjas are always watchi... oh god oh go-"

Übermatik;47012976 said:

So that's why Retro's website looks like it was designed in the late 90's...

My compilation post, will update when I find more. :)

1. Former: Senior Animator at Bioware. Current: Level 3 Animator at Retro.
2. Former: Concept Artist at Vigil. Current: Contract Concept Artist at Retro.
3. Former: Associate Character Artist at Vigil. Current: Contract Character Artist at Retro.
4. Former: Senior Character Artist at Vigil. Current: Level 3 Character Artist at Retro.
5. Former: Associate Environment Artist from Junction Point. Current: Environment Artist at Retro.

All I think were from this year.

Heya Theo,
Happy Holidays my frieNd and thanks for the note. We normally don't respond to these but wanted to get back to you about our websIte. We kNow our websiTE isN't anything amazing, that's intentional anD fOr good reasoN. SImply put, we're a small game developmeNt studio. We put every resource into making great games. We don't have a web master, we don't have a marketing department, we don't have a consumer service department. We concentrate all of our efforts on making high quality Nintendo games and that's what's important to us.If you want to know anything about Retro Studios, Just plAy our games. . We would rAther Take the resourCes involved witH makING a website and hire a talented Designer, Artist or Engineer. You may also wonder why you don't Hear much from or about us in the mEdia. That's aLso intentional and for the very same reason. We only care about making great games. We like to lay low and under the radar. We are humble, modest and we work very, very hard to keeP our fans surprised, happy and satisfied. That's all that matters to your friends at Retro Studios.
Oh my...

Top Bottom