• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeblue

I'm glad Nintendo and Ubisoft still put their A-Teams on sidescrollers.

This'll be worth it for the soundtrack alone. David Wise returning to DKC is a megaton for people with ears.

Taker666

To me this looks like it could/should have taken them a year to make at most. If this is all Retro have done in almost 3 years then they don't seem very productive.

I'm going to delude myself into thinking they'll have another game out in 2014.

Honestly, I'll only be pissed if they work on a third DKC game after this.

A sequel that refines the mechanics of one of the best platformers in recent memory is a very, very good thing.

Edit: after reading some more posts

bahahahaha star tropics are you fucking shitting me

you people are terrible. Why would you force retro on some shit zelda knockoff?

Weiss

Banned
It's not exactly what I wanted, but there's certainly nothing wrong with a new Donkey Kong Country with David Wise making the music.

Roo

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

I call bullshit. DK Country Returns was A) cheaper to make than Prime. And B) sold really well. I can't see a scenario where Nintendo didn't call the shots on this project.
What is this pedestal you people put retro on? They are an arm of Nintendo internal development through spd, not dome poor underrated independent being held back by Nintendo tyranny. Nintendo brought back a classic series to critical and commercial success, of course a sequel would come. Of fucking course Nintendo called the shots, they own the studio. Talking bullshit about budgets you know nothing about is utter nonsense.

oh no a sequel to one of the best games of the last generation how dare you you fucks

Admittedly Nintendo is fucking dying for a proper new IP and they're saturating their own tiny market with platformers, but DKC5/DKCR2 is easily going be beastly. David Wise composing is also a god send.

I don't think anyone asked for this.

This is coming from someone who loved DKCR to death.
As recently as last week I said I was hoping if not a new IP Retro was doing a DKCR2 with more Kongs, swimming and David Wise back. This is absolutely what i was asking for, not that I'm not aware I'm in a small minority here.

Brofield

Loved DKCR, and I'm genuinely excited by DKC:TF.

Two things though that leave an empty pit in my stomach:

1) Why couldn't Retro have a new IP? I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was looking towards the idea of Nintendo-branded Western FPS to compete with Halo and Killzone, only for the sheer novelty of seeing what they would be able to accomplish, with guidance from Miyamoto to make that 'Halo-killer' he boasts he could make. Hell, anything with a new mascot to cheer on and hope to join the roster in Super Smash Bros.

2) Since Retroy is doing DK again, why are there absolutely no mentions of Kremlings? I want to be able to see King K. Rool again stomping around, kicking ass and taking names! (Granted I've yet to beat the last world of DKCR, so I have no idea if there's some sort of secret easter egg I've missed or yet to see).

Volotaire

Honestly, a bit disappointed because I was expecting a new IP or reinvention of a old franchise.

But DKC is not bad, it's great. Looks fun.

David Wise!

Completely agreed. Even if people wanted something different there's no way this can be considered bad.

Most of the people dont think its bad, they think is dissapointing. And some of the ones that think is dissapointing even love DKCR (like me).
Very little people asked for this.

David Wise was the best thing to come out of the trailer.

1) Why couldn't Retro have a new IP? I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was looking towards the idea of Nintendo-branded Western FPS to compete with Halo and Killzone, only for the sheer novelty of seeing what they would be able to accomplish, with guidance from Miyamoto to make that 'Halo-killer' he boasts he could make. Hell, anything with a new mascot to cheer on and hope to join the roster in Super Smash Bros.

2) Since Retroy is doing DK again, why are there absolutely no mentions of Kremlings? I want to be able to see King K. Rool again stomping around, kicking ass and taking names! (Granted I've yet to beat the last world of DKCR, so I have no idea if there's some sort of secret easter egg I've missed or yet to see).

Something about Rare owning the Kremlin characters or something like that.

can't wait to get a wii u in december with wonderful 101, the sequel to one of the best 2d platformers of all time, and a new 3d mario game

gonna be sweet

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If Retro had announced another Metroid Prime game, I guarantee that we wouldn't be hearing any of this "why can't Retro create an new IP" whining that's going on right now.

Someone at Retro, or the DKCR producer seem to hate them by some strange reason.
The new enemies have little charisma, but the tikis were much worse.

Something about Rare owning the Kremlin characters or something like that.

Thats false, Nintendo owns K Rool and the Kremlins.

JoeInky

I call bullshit. DK Country Returns was A) cheaper to make than Prime. And B) sold really well. I can't see a scenario where Nintendo didn't call the shots on this project.

Or maybe most of retro is sane and realises that the DKC series is better than metroid.

ramparter

Banned
Not bad but it was too soon since they just released DKCR on 3DS. I know it's a new game but still. It feels like Wii U is suddenly getting many platforms. They could at least go for a Starfox or F-Zero or Wave Race or whatever for now....

I don't think anyone asked for this.

This is coming from someone who loved DKCR to death.
Bullshit. You say you loved it and i assume know how much its admired but you can't imagine people would want or ask for another?

I think many of you fell for bullshit online rumors again and your expectations where not aligned with reality. this industry is built on sequels. Always assume those will come before new IPs.

jwhit28

The game looks incredible, but yeah, I'd rather see Retro work on something original. A sci fi inspired original IP, preferably.

I hope they're working on something else, with only some of their team devoted to DKCR2.

How many more sci-fi inspired near future shooters do we need?

apana

I don't mind the game itself but it makes me wonder about the future of Retro Studios. Are they working on something else in addition to this? I would like to see them build large 3D games, and let another studio work on DKCR.

SYNTAX182

Retro studios chose to do this game over Metroid.

That's still dumb. So you're saying nintendo was like " hey retro make anything you like! " then they chose a donkey kong country sequel. I doubt it. They should have been able to make a new ip and that's what I was expecting.

NewGame

Banned
I can't believe the hissy fits people are throwing, did you not play DKCR? It's amazing! This is more of the amazing! It's even got David Wise and Kenji Yamamoto working on the sound!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's still dumb. So you're saying nintendo was like " hey retro make anything you like! " then they chose a donkey kong country sequel. I doubt it. They should have been able to make a new ip and that's what I was expecting.

That's actually what both companies confirmed today, so, yes.
richiek said:
If Retro had announced another Metroid Prime game, I guarantee that we wouldn't be hearing any of this "why can't Retro create an new IP" whining that's going on right now.

100% agree.

Seiru

Banned
I really love how people in this thread can't seem to wrap their heads around why someone can be disappointed in this while still recognizing that DKCR was a good game.

The game looks incredible, but yeah, I'd rather see Retro work on something original. A sci fi inspired original IP, preferably.

I hope they're working on something else, with only some of their team devoted to DKCR2.

If they've been spending three years on this game, then I'm standing by my belief that Nintendo has been poorly managing their IPs.

epmode

Man, Donkey Kong Returns was AWESOME. You guys are crazy.

This game pushed me over the edge, even. I'll be picking up a Wii U in the next few months.

A. No mention of near future in that post (I agree that that particular thing is already getting played out).

B. No mention of shooter in that post

C. Sci-fi is only as limited as the developers imagination, which is honestly true about any genre really.

NEO0MJ

You know, after a reflecting on the news few hours, playing a bit of DKCR, listening to DKC music, and just reading that David Wise is back, I'm OK with this.

The issue I have with it is it's too much DKCR too soon.

It's like when Nintendo released Kirby two years in a row. It just feels way too soon for another one of these. And NSMB Wii and then NSMB2 and NSMB U in quick succession.
To compound the problem SM3DW looks like NSMB just in 3D.

I'm not one to complain about Nintendo regurgitating their franchises, but then you add a new Mario Kart (didn't 7 just come out?) and two versions of Smash Bros and it's like... holy shit... that's a lot of long-running franchises, where we know what to expect. It's just not very interesting to me.

I stopped playing Mario Kart awhile ago, was never into Mario Party (or Wii Party), don't really care for Smash Bros., and was really looking forward to seeing a Mario Galaxy-esque 3D platformer and a new IP or reboot from Retro.

Futureman

I am 100% certain this is a soup-up 3DS game. The view angles, simply, gives it away.
They should have kept it on the platform instead of porting DKC Returns to 3DS.

Another hint being in the shitter when it comes to WiiU. Porting up 3DS games and making up the difference with a port no one asked for. Superb.

And, more importantly, why did they assign Retro to making a 3DS game to being with.

whenever I go to the game's page right now it's playing DCKR on 3DS.

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/detail/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/

Deprive

This is not bad, but it is disappointing. Nintendo playing it very safe I guess. Can't this doing as well as the wii DK game, since the Wii U has install base issues.

I really don't think the Wii U needed another platformer. Could have used a shooter or whatever.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
First they show of a terrible looking 3D Mario and than this. Super dissapointed in Nintendo right now.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, fair point. Retro did such a good job on it, though. I'd love to see them do return to it with a totally fresh IP.

steveovig

You guys do realize that this gen isn't over and there's still time for Retro to make other games, right? We're not even a year into this console.

Oh yea, and DKC:Returns was one of the best 2D platformers ever made, this one will be fine.

A lot of people, myself included, didn't want them working on Metroid either. I wanted them working on something NEW, whether it be an existing IP or not. I would've been just as disappointed in another Metroid game as I am with DK. Well, maybe not AS disappointed, but I'd still be let down nonetheless.

NotLiquid

Out of curiosity, what are the odds of Retro working on two games? I'm curious as to how big they are now after having moved offices and them generally expanding their entire efforts. It doesn't seem like this game should be a big undertaking for them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You guys do realize that this gen isn't over and there's still time for Retro to make other games, right? We're not even a year into this console.

Oh yea, and DKC:Returns was one of the best 2D platformers ever made, this one will be fine.

Because they put out so many games last gen.

hatchx

Banned
Am I the only one put off by those 20 second load times? That's ferociously long, and I hope it's not indicative of the loading times in the final game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom