• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game looks pretty good.
I personally doubt that all of Retro's 130 employees are working on this. A lot of what was shown was really plain -- it doesn't look like an AAA project to me.

That's a good point. It could possible that they reused assets from returns as well freeing up up people to work on other projects.

ASIS

The issue I have with it is it's too much DKCR too soon.

It's like when Nintendo released Kirby two years in a row. It just feels way too soon for another one of these. And NSMB Wii and then NSMB2 and NSMB U in quick succession.
To compound the problem SM3DW looks like NSMB just in 3D.

I'm not one to complain about Nintendo regurgitating their franchises, but then you add a new Mario Kart (didn't 7 just come out?) and two versions of Smash Bros and it's like... holy shit... that's a lot of long-running franchises, where we know what to expect. It's just not very interesting to me.

I stopped playing Mario Kart awhile ago, was never into Mario Party (or Wii Party), don't really care for Smash Bros., and was really looking forward to seeing a Mario Galaxy-esque 3D platformer and a new IP or reboot from Retro.
the last Metroid and Donkey Kong came out in the same year.

Makonero

A lot of people, myself included, didn't want them working on Metroid either. I wanted them working on something NEW, whether it be an existing IP or not. I would've been just as disappointed in another Metroid game as I am with DK. Well, maybe not AS disappointed, but I'd still be let down nonetheless.

Same here. Couldn't help but wish it was Monster Games or another developer on this one and that Retro's was something else. I am now hoping that this was done by the Retro B-team and the A-team is working on something new.

Lijik

The issue I have with it is it's too much DKCR too soon.

It's like when Nintendo released Kirby two years in a row. It just feels way too soon for another one of these. And NSMB Wii and then NSMB2 and NSMB U in quick succession.
To compound the problem SM3DW looks like NSMB just in 3D.

I'm not one to complain about Nintendo regurgitating their franchises, but then you add a new Mario Kart (didn't 7 just come out?) and two versions of Smash Bros and it's like... holy shit... that's a lot of long-running franchises, where we know what to expect. It's just not very interesting to me.

I stopped playing Mario Kart awhile ago, was never into Mario Party (or Wii Party), don't really care for Smash Bros., and was really looking forward to seeing a Mario Galaxy-esque 3D platformer and a new IP or reboot from Retro.

A sequel 3 years after the original is considered "too soon"?

M-PG71C

The tears are amazing. Dixie Kong is back, Wise is composing. Shit, its DKC2 for the new era. I'm good if this is what they wanted to do because its looking damn fine.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Was I the only one expecting a 2D Metroid from Retro? They proved they know Metroid and they proved they know tight 2D gameplay. I figured it was the natural evolution.

Metroid Dread to be revealed in the 3DS Direct later this week?

/Believe

TL4E

The sequel to one of the finest 2d platformers ever made is a bad thing now

KuGsj.gif
stay salty, my friends

Exactly.

Did gaf really think they were going to let all those DKCR assets they worked so hard on go to waste? That's completely unrealistic. It's completely logical to release a sequel and a 3DS port to make the investment into the original idea worth the trouble. I'm sure retro will work on something completely novel soon enough, certainly in the Wii U's lifetime. Once DKCR 3 is announced, the bitching will be (somewhat) justified.

Out of curiosity, what are the odds of Retro working on two games? I'm curious as to how big they are now after having moved offices and them generally expanding their entire efforts. It doesn't seem like this game should be a big undertaking for them.

The fact that Retro actually bothered to make a statement about why they chose to make DK over Metroid makes it really feel like this was their big project.

Ulukai

Banned
I actually think it's good that they get some HD development experience under their belts before they attempt a HD Metroid.

Yamauchi

Banned
Game looks pretty good.

I don't get people saying this is 'impressive.' Graphically it looks very similar to NSMBU in my opinion. Nintendo is clearly pumping out as much stuff as they can using the same basic engine (NSMBU, NSLU, Yoshi's Yarn, DK). From a business standpoint it makes sense, but as a gamer the rehashing is getting quite disappointing.

I personally doubt that all of Retro's 130 employees are working on this. A lot of what was shown was really plain -- it doesn't look like an AAA project to me.

SYNTAX182

That's actually what both companies confirmed today, so, yes.

100% agree.

Ah ok then that's still dumb on Retros part. They could have worked on anything but wanted to do a sequel. In all honesty this game will be good but I think they make really awesome games so I wanted to see if they can create a new ip on their own. I would still be as disappointed if they had announced mp4. C'est la vie.

FlyFaster

I just really don't understand why they were commissioned to make this game for Nintendo.

It doesn't add any kind of diversity to Nintendos lineup at all. There are already platformers on the system and it's struggling in other areas.

The recent 30cent release of Super Metroid introduced Samus and the series at it's best to a whole new generation of gamers + rekindled the passion for a lot of old fans. If there were ever a time to both fill a needed hole in Nintendos line up and capitalize on the Metroid Franchise now would have been the time to do it.

As it is, I.. just don't know/get it. So horrendously stupid I have no words, great ANOTHER DK title. Let me count my lucky stars...

And less than a month since the last one.

this too.

It just reeks of reused assets and laziness.

J-Rock

Banned
It will probably be a fun game but a lot of people are just burned out when it comes to look-a-like sequels lately(i.e. All the Super Mario 3D World frustration). Most people seem to prefer a nice mix of new IPs and fresh ideas at the start of a new gen. This also feels like a missed opportunity for Nintendo to reel in some of the demographic that prefer the style of content that is on the xbox and ps4. Retro is one of the few under Nintendo's roof that know how to create games that would appeal to that demo.

How are people ok with Retro working on goddamn Donkey Kong?? I am severely disappointed. Almost crushingly so. This is like using a katana to peel a fucking potato.

NotLiquid

The fact that Retro actually bothered to make a statement about why they chose to make DK over Metroid makes it really feel like this was their big project.

That's a fair point. I'm a bit skeptical I will admit, the immense amount of people from high prolific companies getting hired as of late and the expansion of their offices has me thinking that it started off as a smaller effort while there's a fraction who are working on possibly bigger things. I mean it's already coming out this soon and we keep hearing about the company growing much bigger.

I dunno, can't help but feel that Retro are already setting sights for something completely different on top of this.

Yado

Out of curiosity, what are the odds of Retro working on two games? I'm curious as to how big they are now after having moved offices and them generally expanding their entire efforts. It doesn't seem like this game should be a big undertaking for them.

I can't imagine that this game took them this long to make, that the new talent they hired was for this...that Nintendo refrained from showing this game last year because it wasn't ready. It's not an ugly game but I have a hard time believing they spent that time working on what looks like an upressed DKCR game.

FlyFaster

It will probably be a fun game but a lot of people are just burned out when it comes to look-a-like sequels lately(i.e. All the Super Mario 3D World frustration). Most people seem to prefer a nice mix of new IPs and fresh ideas at the start of a new gen. This also feels like a missed opportunity for Nintendo to reel in some of the demographic that prefer the style of content that is on the xbox and ps4. Retro is one of the few under Nintendo's roof that know how to create games that would appeal to that demo.

exactly, a nice mature looking title, that isn't all cartoony graphics. I don't mind that style at all, but damn Nintendo really needs to mix things up.

hatchx

Banned
Nope November 2013 along with Mario this holiday. Somehow Nintendo doesn't seem to think releasing 2 high profile platformers together is a mistake.

Don't forget Sonic is coming too.

I don't think it's a big mistake. Nintendo is clearly branding WiiU as the cheaper, family-entertainment machine. You can see that by the absolute lack of shooters, sports, RPGs, and racers.

If they market the thing right (and give it the inevitable price drop/bundle) I think the WiiU might have a solid little life. I just hope they line their ducks up for next year, the first half of 2014 is going to be a blood bath and the true testament to WiiU's future.

This is the best possible news for what Retro is working on. Donkey Kong Country Returns was easily one of the best games of the previous generation, and I'm really excited to see what they do with the new game.

I've also seen a lot of people in this thread complaining that someone other than Retro should make this game, or that there's too many platformers (better have them make a shooter instead, right?), but that's missing the point. Donkey Kong by Retro is going to be better than all of those other platformers. Another developer could make DKC instead of Retro. But it wouldn't be half as good.

shaowebb

DK will be good, but we already got a LOT of platformers coming right now from Nintendo. Lets face it...this game could have waited for now and they could have been working on something different to mix up their lineup, but instead nothing. Retro needs a bigger project than this. Shocked they teased us over a sequel to something that could have likely been handed off to any of their other internal studios who handle platformers.

emb

The tears are amazing. Dixie Kong is back, Wise is composing. Shit, its DKC2 for the new era. I'm good if this is what they wanted to do because its looking damn fine.

Wise is composing? I've missed that bit, where does it come from?

Lynd7

A lot of people, myself included, didn't want them working on Metroid either. I wanted them working on something NEW, whether it be an existing IP or not. I would've been just as disappointed in another Metroid game as I am with DK. Well, maybe not AS disappointed, but I'd still be let down nonetheless.

Yeah me to. I can appreciate the fact that DK will be of excellent quality. But, I really wanted something totally new, and something that really wowed everyone graphically. They needed a showcase title. I don't think they have one this year at all.

Effect

I'll be honest. This is the only major disappointment for me from Nintendo. Not that I don't think the new Donkey Kong game will be great. I'm sure it will be. Just not something I wanted. I really wanted Retro to be put to better use filling the action game void due to the Wii U have no real third party support outside of a few gestures.

Exactly.

Did gaf really think they were going to let all those DKCR assets they worked so hard on go to waste? That's completely unrealistic. It's completely logical to release a sequel and a 3DS port to make the investment into the original idea worth the trouble. I'm sure retro will work on something completely novel soon enough, certainly in the Wii U's lifetime. Once DKCR 3 is announced, the bitching will be (somewhat) justified.

They spent THREE YEARS making an engine, designing and developing the entire gameplay design, a lot of time and money and creativity went into DKCR. It reviewed really well and it's the second-highest selling game in the entire franchise. You think they're just gonna ditch all that and start over with a whole new engine without building on the base they created?

Nah, b, we doing underwater silhouette levels

WiiU_DKCountry_scrn03_E3.jpg

nordique

On the plus, this game will still be great. And Nintendo really needs some big guns for the Wii U to spur sales.

This game would appeal more to the masses than a new Metroid, and sell more Wii U's overall

Still, its not what I was hoping/anticipating.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
This is the best possible news for what Retro is working on. Donkey Kong Country Returns was easily one of the best games of the previous generation, and I'm really excited to see what they do with the new game.

I've also seen a lot of people in this thread complaining that someone other than Retro should make this game, or that there's too many platformers (better have them make a shooter instead, right?), but that's missing the point. Donkey Kong by Retro is going to be better than all of those other platformers. Another developer could make DKC instead of Retro. But it wouldn't be half as good.

Agree with the last two sentences, strongly disagree with the first. DKCR was great, Prime was better.

ASIS

Jesus Christ, guys. How can you complain about a motherfucking new Donkey Kong by Retro? Come on...I'M HYPER EXCITED!

It's the context of expectations. In truth, I don't think people here expected something better, cause Donkey Kong Country Returns was a marvel, but they wanted something different.

It's like taking a bite of what you think is marshmallows but the flavor and texture is 100% Caviar, there's no telling which one you prefer, but at this point people want them marshmallows... if that makes sense.

For me, however, I've been longing for a new DK game so I'm good. But I also understand where the others are coming from.

beril

Ah ok then that's still dumb on Retros part. They could have worked on anything but wanted to do a sequel. In all honesty this game will be good but I think they make really awesome games so I wanted to see if they can create a new ip on their own. I would still be as disappointed if they had announced mp4. C'est la vie.

Maybe one of the reason people chose to work at a Nintendo owned studio studio rather than any of the other studios in the US is that they want to work on cartoony platformers rather than gritty shooters. Plenty of people get excited by working on big well known franchises. Retro doesn't have any track record for makin their own IPs, so I don't really see why people are so set about them making one compared to other Nintendo studios.

Also, a lot of people seem to basically want them to make Uncharted. Why would we need more games like that when every other studio is doing that?

AzaK

That's all they can do - rehash and reuse. They must really be struggling to meet Iwatas promise of profitability.

Gartooth

Unpopular opinion, but good choice on their part. Would I have loved to see Retro make a new IP or continue Metroid? Hell yes, but given they had to choose between Metroid and Donkey Kong, they probably felt tired of Metroid after having worked on that IP for over 5 years.

DKCR was also quite possibly the best 2D platformer of the last generation which is surprising given the stiff competition, so if they feel they have enough new ideas and juice in them to make a sequel I say we give them a chance.

Effect

Maybe one of the reason people chose to work at a Nintendo owned studio studio rather than any of the other studios in the US is that they want to work on cartoony platformers rather than gritty shooters. Plenty of people get excited by working on big well known franchises. Retro doesn't have any track record for makin their own IPs, so I don't really see why people are so set about them making one compared to other Nintendo studios.

Also, a lot of people seem to basically want them to make Uncharted. Why would we need more games like that when every other studio is doing that?

That's really simple. Those games aren't being released on a Nintendo platform. Many people, rightly or wrongly, have been looking to Retro since Metroid Prime as the only Nintendo studio that could provide a game experience they are not getting on Nintendo platforms. These people don't want to have to buy a new PlayStation or Xbox. They love Nintendo games. They know the type of games Nintendo in Japan makes. Retro being western, based in Texas, is seen as the only hope they might have given the quality they put out.

I'm one of those people so I fully understand why they're disappointed. I don't think anyone hates the new Donkey Kong game. It just certainly isn't a game they want or were hoping for out of Retro Studios specifically. If this game was the same game but said to be coming from another studio the reaction would be completely different. I think people would be welcoming it with open arms. That ti came from Retro Studio, the one hope people had, is what is causing the issue.

This might be reaching but this could be why they didn't upload the trailer on Youtube while they uploaded everything else. I wonder if Nintendo realizes what kind of reaction took place online since they said they were watching twitter and various communities.

In the end I understand why they went with DK. It simply sells better. The engine had a lot of work put into it and the assets are there. The game looks great. I'm likely to get in the end. However I'm still very disappointed with this announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom