• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's so fucking boring

Microsoft has Killer Instinct and Nintendo has Donkey Kong Country, two shitty Rare games that should have stayed dead and buried

This is insane. DKCR was the best platformer to hit in ages.

Turok_TTZ

So much tears this thread... why? Did you really expect some "grim, mature shooter" from Retro? A lot of talent already left Retro. I doubt they can do another game of Prime quality.

Nintendo handing a western dev free reign over what they do... what bizarro world do y'all live in?

images

I don't think anyone is disputing that the game will be awesome.

It's just that the hiring moves made by Retro in the past couple of years - particularly in the area of art design - pointed to something much different than what we just saw.

I'm more confused than disappointed.

I don't get it. They made 3 Metroid Prime games in a row (all great, honestly)

So, now they make a sequel to arguably one of the best platformers of the last console generation, and Nintendo is shit for doing so?

Gaf's reaction to E3 is absolutely blowing my mind right now.

Anteo

Hyped. I really didn't want any other team to take on DKC again. Plus new enemies!
But I get the dissapointment, I mean I too wanted something else from Retro.

Kurtofan

Lol repeating myself but DKC is seriously the best platform series ever.

Rare did three DKCs, Retro did three Metroids, where's the problem with Retro making another DKC?

All the negativity around this game is fucking weird, DKC is such a great series.

Shiggy

What a letdown. Graphics look pretty badly and who asked for yet another simple sequel? What's wrong with Nintendo? It's no surprise that we hear about people leaving Retro Studios.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hate sales numbers

We all already know this. But we'll see how it does on a system that has no appeal to the west and continues to put up some of the most horrendous numbers ever seen for a console

You do realize that this is WHY they're releasing this game, right? Because it sold a TON in the west.

I sincerely hope that they have two teams. To spend 3 years working on this title doesnt make sense. They already have the assets for it, so it shouldnt be hard to spit out. I mean, cool, Donkey Kong, but still. I want something new from Retro. I want to see what else they can do. They are such a strong team of developers.

Ridiculous. This is one of the main studios that could have diversified Nintendo's portfolio and they have them working on a DK sequel. It will still probably be good but talk about a missed opportunity.

Jay Sosa

Wait, I don't get the anger.

Not a fan of Nintendo's IPs nowadays, but I thought that those of you who are like DKC, and love Retro, so how come Retro + DKC = anger and frustration??

Cause people wanted a new MP or something similar and not freaking DKC?

Not a fan of Nintendo's IPs nowadays, but I thought that those of you who are like DKC, and love Retro, so how come Retro + DKC = anger and frustration??

CronoShot

I doubt that anybody at EAD could have made it. NSMB2, for example, is not even remotely as good as DKCR.

My point is Nintendo could have easily thrown together a team in EAD and told them to make a new DKC, and it would no doubt have been a good game. As good as a Retro developed game? No, but still good, and would probably achieve similar sales figures.

They didn't need to waste Retro on it.

Fox Mulder

The game looked great in HD and I love donkey kong country.

Metroid is dead anyways, hopefully they bring it back at some point.

Herne

Hugely disappointing. They've already done Donkey Kong, this was the time to either revisit another old IP or - shock, horror! - a new one.

Raven77

Unbelievable.

Has Nintendo completely lost touch with...everything?

Why is every game so heavily focused on 2D? A large portion of the 3D World video was 2D gameplay, DKR is 2D, etc. etc.

Why no full 3D DK title like the N64 title? You did it with vastly less power, you could easily do it now.

NotLiquid

While I'm disappointed that Retro's talents are being put to Donkey Kong, much like Ancel's team being put to work on Rayman, Returns was the best platformer of last gen (much like Rayman).

It's a safe bet but... Hell. It's probably going to be fucking fantastic.

Pyrokai

Lol repeating myself but DKC is seriously the best platform series ever.

Rare did three DKCs, Retro did three Metroids, where's the problem with Retro making another DKC?

All the negativity around this game is fucking weird, DKC is such a great series.

not enough guns

DKCR, one of the best platfomers of all time, gets a HD sequel and people complain because I don't fucking know

myself, I'm damn excited if it's even 80% as good as the first
I'll tell you why. We've had NSMBU, in september Rayman Legends, and even the new 3D World mario has the 2D/3D design and there is also Sonic World.

Why the hell do you waste one of your better internal studios in terms of game and graphic design in another 2D platformer when you have this genre already covered? Why not release games that cover other genres?
I can't believe Nintendo is THAT stupid!

Its like Microsoft with the FPS, but this time it's one company making always the same games... and a company that doesn't have 3rd party support to at least compensate that!

Hesemonni

Banned
I lol'd at the thread title :p

But yeah, extremely disappointing news. DKCR was an excellent game, but I need my Metroid fix.

dancmc

I don't get it. They made 3 Metroid Prime games in a row (all great, honestly)

So, now they make a sequel to arguably one of the best platformers of the last console generation, and Nintendo is shit for doing so?

Gaf's reaction to E3 is absolutely blowing my mind right now.

It's not so much that there is a new DKC game coming; but rather that this was one of their only unannounced titles

Sandfox

Now I can start hoping for my Platinum Star Fox game again I guess.

We all already know this. But we'll see how it does on a system that has no appeal to the west and continues to put up some of the most horrendous numbers ever seen for a console

DK at least appeals WW while Metroid only appeals to people on sites like GAF. DK was probably the best option outside of making a new IP which would be a gamble and probably sell less than DK.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Because Retro is way too talented to be working on what looks like a solid, but ordinary platformer.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
today I learned people hate donkey kong.

Today I learned I think people that hate donkey kong are assholes.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Any studio on Earth could make this game and make it reasonably good. To waste such a talented crew on another 2D platformer is just disgusting.

You do realize that this is WHY they're releasing this game, right? Because it sold a TON in the west.

You just can't have a lineup where the four biggest games for your system in the next year to year and a half are all platformers. They already have the platformer fan with Mario, Sonic, and Yoshi, this is not going to sell extra systems. This is a really bad business decision, I think WiiU will sell less than GameCube after seeing their lineup.

JDSN

Banned
Retro is officially no different from Next Level Games at this point, a tight leash while Monolight can create new shit.

The only fucking western company that could pull great stuff for us and they put them working on DK again. Not wonder some people left. How could you fuck this up Nintendo. Retro and DK again? DKCR was great, I loved it, but don't make fucking Retro work on it, I'm sure there's enough teams capable of doing a DK game. Ffs... at least I have X. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom