• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lusankya

I don't get it. They made 3 Metroid Prime games in a row (all great, honestly)

So, now they make a sequel to arguably one of the best platformers of the last console generation, and Nintendo is shit for doing so?

Gaf's reaction to E3 is absolutely blowing my mind right now.

Fans are the worst. Always.

Neo Child

Banned
wow guess what

i liked donkey kong country returns more than metroid prime

so id rather have this.

someone fucking kill me right

Gartooth

Don't know if anyone is upset about this, I'm not I fucking loved Donkey Kong Country Returns, this was surprise of the conference for me.

Instro

Kind of unsurprising really. They must have started working on this game right after DKCR came out and exploded in sales. Looks nice, but the console is bloated with platformers now, its pretty hilarious.

masud

Banned
Game will be grate just like the first one and I have no issue with the Donkey Kong ip but I wanted something more substantial than another 2d platformer from Retro. It seems like 2d platformers are all Nintendo makes nowadays.

Kurtofan

Cause people wanted a new MP or something similar and not freaking DKC?

Lol there's been three fucking Metroid Primes done by Retro, this is only their second DKCR.

I vastly prefer DKC to MP. This is all reeks of "Nintendo isn't doing mature games" bullshit.

I can see why this would be really disappointing to most, but for me this was the only saving grace.

It looks great! And Dixie Kong is playable. YESSSSS! Almost makes me wanna buy a Wii U. Almost.

Wasn't Donkey Kong Country Returns like their best selling title? I think that might be the reason why they did that. Its not like DKCR was a bad game though, even if it isn't an old IP revived or a new IP altogether. It should still turn out good.

Retro is basically the next NST walking at this point except a bit higher up because they get to be the bitches making DKC instead of MvsDK

Amir0x

Banned
Fucking great. I could at least stand them being stuck on the franchise Ninty exercise wheel for an eternity, but now they're stuck on that wheel in a franchise I can't even begin to like.

At least this time there can be no shake to roll, but hopefully there's no however many levels wasted to fucking minecart/barrel garbage. Hope more levels can be like those damned temples in the first DKCR. :(

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Lol there's been three fucking Metroid Primes done by Retro, this is only their second DKCR.

I vastly prefer DKC to MP. This is all reeks of "Nintendo isn't doing mature games" bullshit.

Give me a break. So given the choice between Retro working on Star Tropics, Zelda, or a new IP all together , you'd go with a second 2d Donkey Kong?

FrsDvl

Who's to say they don't have a big surprise up their sleeves still. They wouldn't hire all that talent and move to a bigger office just to milk the donkey Kong franchise..

Bishop89

not so much disappointed in dkc, more so with the expectations gaf was hyping.
3 years, possible new ip, retros next big thing....then its just dkc:R HD

AnGer

Well, here I was expecting them to do something new. Kind of a letdown.

On the other hand, well... I now have a platformer to play during christmas holidays, since I do not give a single Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo about Mario. And there's still a next time.

masud

Banned
That isn't why. I think a lot of us were expecting something new and different from them. Lack of violence is not the problem.

Yeah I'm a Nintendo fan, I like the colorful shit. I would have been fine with a 3d Donkey Kong game ffs. But all these 2d/2.5d games makes me feel like Nintendo is afraid to commit to a large hd production.

This and the Mario announcement have really bummed me out...

That's okay since DKCR is one of the greatest platformers of all-time.

People are just mad that it's not "omg dark mature."

Nope, they could have showed Star Tropics with a cartoony style and I'd be salivating for it.

I don't need another DKC game so soon. They should be spreading that shit out every 5 years like they do with most other games, not release them back to back. It's the same problem with NSMB, too many too soon. It gets tiresome.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm sure someone could use this right now:
ibmHkbFOmvObGE.gif

KarmaCow

How disappointing. I was hoping Retro would be given the freedom to not be constrained by an existing series after being tied to Metroid for so long but I guess Donkey Kong is their new gig?

DKCR was pretty good, mine cart levels and dumb controller gimmicks aside (I can't believe Miyamoto suggested blowing), so maybe they took those criticisms to heart for the sequel. It was weird that Iwata specifically pointed out that the camera moved around during barrel sequences as if that really changed anything gameplay wise.

jacksrb

Disappointing. DKCR was a great game, but with 3rd party support so crappy, it is frustrating to see the one non-RPG studio capable of making a first or third person action game making another 2D platformer...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What really gets me is how it looks less artistically interesting than the Wii title.

That and the fact that no one asked for this

As wide-eyed in shock as I was last night after the PS4 conference, I was possibly even more wide-eyed after today's Nintendo Direct, but for precisely the opposite reasons.

Retro doing another Donkey Kong? No... NO... NOOOOOO!

Codeblue

They just wasting their talents under Nintendo.

Everyone you're talking about left and is at Armature.

Retro will continue to make amazing stuff though, and people will continue to be sad that they aren't working on something else. A sequel to one of the best platformers ever is good news to me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't get it. They made 3 Metroid Prime games in a row (all great, honestly)

So, now they make a sequel to arguably one of the best platformers of the last console generation, and Nintendo is shit for doing so?

Gaf's reaction to E3 is absolutely blowing my mind right now.

Maybe that's because Metroid Prime was nothing like anything else Nintendo does, and DK is a platformer, which seems to be what Nintendo always go to.

Making a follow-up to one of the best platforming experiences of the past decade?

Making ANOTHER 2D platformer in an old franchise and letting some of their most talented developers work on it.

Nope, they could have showed Star Tropics with a cartoony style and I'd be salivating for it.
My, that game had horrible sales and reception in the NES. Why people think that by some kind of miracle it'll be relevant and sells millions this day? Let's face it's a franchise that's irrelevant now.

On one hand, DKCR is easily Retro's best game. On the other, we haven't had a Metroid release since 2010.

I'm not the biggest Prime fan, but I think a 3rd person Retro Metroid would've helped Wii U a bit more at this point even though it'd sell less. Especially since Nintendo's got 2 other mascot platformers (Yarn Yoshi, SM3D World) coming soon already.

Turok_TTZ

Give me a break. So given the choice between Retro working on Star Tropics, Zelda, or a new IP all together , you'd go with a second 2d Donkey Kong?

Seeing there is a lack of hardcore platformers, without hesitation I would choose DK.
Was so pleased with DKCR the news of Retro making a new one pleases me even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom