• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Rich!

Getting to experience that as a kid would have been awesome. I was a PC/Amiga gamer back during that era so I still have a lot to catch up on. To be honest, I wish that I hadn't ignored the series for so long. Amazing music, epic quests, dungeon exploration, puzzle solving and rescuing princesses; it doesn't get much better than that :)

But it does get better than that!

its called Zelda: Majoras Mask

Link to the Past has a REALLY unexpected twist on the princess saving situation at one point in the game by the way. I will say no more.

Rich!

Very cool, I'm looking forward to it. Majora's Mask 3D is also going to be amazing. The second I can pre-order a limited edition copy I'll be doing so. Nintendo nailed the cover art for it.

If you are in america, Order the limited edition PAL version from game.co.uk and when you get it, sell the PAL copy on ebay or here on gaf and replace it with an USA one.

Radius4

Played a lot of ALTTP with the music patch (I re-patched the ROM with a lower music volume patch) and it's really good!

I do miss some of the effects, like some nice noise effect in the left channel while in overworld I really dig for some reason, but the extra depth in the music does add to the experience.

I'm a sucker for arranged versions (some of course) of game soundtracks, I have Chrono Symphonic in my phone :D

Radius4

1.0.0.3 is the Windows/Linux/OSX beta for 1.1, 1.0.0.4 will be the same for mobile devices, 1.0.0.5 for consoles I think

Awakened

I did a 60fps video of my HyperSpin and RetroArch setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DWUrbDQmAA

I had to have OBS downscale to 720p to get a decent enough framerate on the recording. And I had to turn off shaders since they didn't play well with the video compression last time. But other than that, I think it came out pretty good. I had fun playing so the video ended up really long :O

MBison

Hey I'm using retroarch on my nvidia shield. Trying out psx games. When I load pcsx rearmed it says missing bios expect errors. I have the psx bios but where do I put then and set them up? The game loaded fine but not sure if that means it'll still mess up

Thanks!

Vertti

How can I get N64 or Sega Saturn control layout in Retroarch Windows version?

I mean in the input settings it's always the same abxy l1 r1 l2 r2 controller scheme. I can't map saturn control by that because I need c and z too and n64 has z and the c buttons.

Awakened

How can I get N64 or Sega Saturn control layout in Retroarch Windows version?

I mean in the input settings it's always the same abxy l1 r1 l2 r2 controller scheme. I can't map saturn control by that because I need c and z too and n64 has z and the c buttons.
Here's how N64 maps to those (L2 is Z, since the image on that page for that button isn't loading for me...). The controller mapping for Saturn isn't filled out on the wiki yet, but it's the same as the six button Genesis mappings, plus L2 and R2 as the Saturn pad's shoulder buttons.

I think a new controller API that makes it apparent what you're mapping on the original system's controller is coming someday, but probably not for awhile.

Platy

68mh74X.png

https://twitter.com/TheToadKing/status/535656035055202304

EasyMode

I decided to switch the horizontal filter to Lanczos in order to deal with the harsh blocking that appeared in games with lots of gradient shading. It was a problem that was especially noticeable in SNES games due to the lower horizontal resolution:

filterwru4x.png

Left is the previous version.

The sharpness is still adjustable in both directions, and the shader is still pretty fast.

Setting the following will use the previous filter which is faster:
#define ENABLE_LANCZOS 0

Link to the shader: https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/raw/master/crt/crt-easymode.cg

Some screens:

Radius4

I decided to switch the horizontal filter to Lanczos in order to deal with the harsh blocking that appeared in games with lots of gradient shading. It was a problem that was especially noticeable in SNES games due to the lower horizontal resolution:

filterwru4x.png

Left is the previous version.

The sharpness is still adjustable in both directions, and the shader is still pretty fast.

Setting the following will use the previous filter which is faster:
#define ENABLE_LANCZOS 0

Link to the shader: https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/raw/master/crt/crt-easymode.cg

Some screens:

Wow!!! neat, that scene in MM8 is quite a nice test for scanlines and it looks terrific

EasyMode

Wow!!! neat, that scene in MM8 is quite a nice test for scanlines and it looks terrific

Thanks! MM8 doesn't get much love, but I think it looks great at least.

Man, I love the shader in general, but I think you reached the level of subtlety that gets past these old tired eyes. I can tell the two aren't exactly the same but I couldn't even start to point out what the difference is, lol.

Haha. I think placing them side by side makes it difficult to spot specific differences. Here's a mouse over comparison:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/101678

The leaves are the most noticeable difference. Lanczos does a good job of keeping gradual color transitions looking smooth while keeping contrasting colors sharp (ie, text, outlines). Previously if I found a game too blocky looking I would lower the sharpness, but then I'd find the overall image too soft. Now I can just leave the horizontal sharpness at default (0.5) and be happy with the results.

Rufus

They're not incompatible, no, but Intel CPUs are generally preferred for emulation, especially for PS2, GC and Wii emulators.
That said, I'm running a Phenom II X4 965 BE at 3.8GHz and it runs most things fine. Haven't tried to run GC or Wii games in a while though.

What exactly are you having issues with? You might be fine enabling some speedhacks.

Palom

Even just straight SNES emulation off the SNES9x core gets me microstutters every couple seconds. no filters. Doesn't make sense to me.

Simple games too like Mario All-Stars.
Do you have Vsync on? It might be frame timing issues. I noticed some slight judder until I changed the refresh rate from 59.95 to 59.999. (I had to exit and reopen the program to notice any change, or edit it through the .cfg files)

Do you have Vsync on? It might be frame timing issues. I noticed some slight judder until I changed the refresh rate from 59.95 to 59.999. (I had to exit and reopen the program to notice any change, or edit it through the .cfg files)
Vsync on or Vsync off, similar results. I'll see if I can set the refresh rate to be fixed like you did and report on the results.

On what platform?
Windows X64 build running on a Gigabyte Brix Gaming box: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4930#ov

Radius4

Gigabyte brix.

it's a known issue - lots of people are having issues with retroarch on it.

also, no updates for the Win64 version in 5 weeks....wow, ah well. It still runs like a dream anyhow!

Some cores are missing because they can't be built automatically, but you can always use older cores it doesn't really change anything

Radius4

Gigabyte brix.

it's a known issue - lots of people are having issues with retroarch on it.

also, no updates for the Win64 version in 5 weeks....wow, ah well. It still runs like a dream anyhow!

Not really known, noone has reported it at libretro.com so noone is aware

Radius4

There are the nightly builds. Though sometimes those don't have all the cores.

What is missing for you, I mantain those builds, here is what's missing for me:

- PPSSPP (can't build with mingw)
- MAME 2010
- MAME 2003
- puae (not in libretro super)
- pocketsnes (not in libretro super)
- PCSX-ReARMed (not targetting windows)
- stonesoup-libretro (haven't managed to get it to build)

I just fixed bnes, hatari and mednafen-ngp, should be included tonight

Hey Andres,

Any idea how the current nightlies on Android are working with the ART runtime? I've been holding off on updating my tablet to Lollipop until everything's clear with Retroarch, heh.

Awakened

What is missing for you, I mantain those builds, here is what's missing for me:

- PPSSPP (can't build with mingw)
- MAME 2010
- MAME 2003
- puae (not in libretro super)
- pocketsnes (not in libretro super)
- PCSX-ReARMed (not targetting windows)
- stonesoup-libretro (haven't managed to get it to build)

I just fixed bnes, hatari and mednafen-ngp, should be included tonight
PPSSPP was the one I noticed. I'm fine with the 1.0.0.3 beta for now though, since pretty much everything works how I want it to there. There's only two minor problems I'm watching git for fixes for: the black screen when switching between fullscreen and windowed in PPSSPP and the lack of microphone noise button in Desmume (for blowing away finger print dust in Ace Attorney games and other things). Both of these already have issue reports on git so they won't be forgotten.

Also, I saw the commits for input descriptors, which I didn't expect to come this quickly :D. Being able to see which buttons from the original system's controller are which on the RetroPad while in the menu will make remapping much easier.

And I'm curious what's now different between beetle-psx and mednafen-psx. Looking through the commit log there's a bunch of stuff about the deinterlacer, and a new widescreen hack option for beetle.

Radius4

PPSSPP was the one I noticed. I'm fine with the 1.0.0.3 beta for now though, since pretty much everything works how I want it to there. There's only two minor problems I'm watching git for fixes for: the black screen when switching between fullscreen and windowed in PPSSPP and the lack of microphone noise button in Desmume (for blowing away finger print dust in Ace Attorney games and other things). Both of these already have issue reports on git so they won't be forgotten.

Also, I saw the commits for input descriptors, which I didn't expect to come this quickly :D. Being able to see which buttons from the original system's controller are which on the RetroPad while in the menu will make remapping much easier.

And I'm curious what's now different between beetle-psx and mednafen-psx. Looking through the commit log there's a bunch of stuff about the deinterlacer, and a new widescreen hack option for beetle.

mednafen is what we had in the beta, beetle is the new one with a lot less C++ and some enhancements, it should be faster too and "safer" on the toolchain I use for win32

The PPSSPP bugs need to be fixed by someone more knowledgeable, they need to hook context_reset properly.

I've been messing with the mic thing but I didn't get it to work yet

Hey Andres,

Any idea how the current nightlies on Android are working with the ART runtime? I've been holding off on updating my tablet to Lollipop until everything's clear with Retroarch, heh.

I have no idea of the android nighlies (didn't know there were nightlies to begin with)

I'm almost done with the PSP buildbot now, I'll try to add some other platform next week

Awakened

mednafen is what we had in the beta, beetle is the new one with a lot less C++ and some enhancements, it should be faster too and "safer" on the toolchain I use for win32

The PPSSPP bugs need to be fixed by someone more knowledgeable, they need to hook context_reset properly.

I've been messing with the mic thing but I didn't get it to work yet
Cool, thanks for the info. Love you guy's work as always!

Platy

Any chance of the WIi build being upgraded to support WiiU Pro Controller ? =/

After using it on Nintendon't go back to wiimote on retroarch is just not the same

Dizzy-4U

I've been messing around with the 1.0.0.3 build (Windows) for the last couple of days and I must say I'm really impressed. I had some issues with some cores but for the most part it's been a very smooth ride.

EasyMode, your CRT shader is absolutely amazing. I usually don't like them much because they can get a little distracting but yours is very subtle and blends with the games perfectly. I couldn't even tell it was there most of the time (except when there were big chunks of solid colors) and that is what makes it so great. So thank you for that one.

As for feedback, the N64 core was the one that gave me the most trouble (no surprise there by the nature of N64 emulation). Some games have flickering issues (Goldeneye multiplayer), the angrylion graphic plugin crashes Retroarch and there is massive input lag in Quake and Doom (must be an ID Software thing).

That's very nick-picky I know but hey, if those things can be fixed in the future it would be fantastic.

Keep on the good work guys.

RedSwirl

Just booted this up for a minute, and wow. This is immediately going into my quicklaunch.

Now I just need to figure out how to actually get an NES emulator into this thing.

RedSwirl

I got the default CRT shader that comes with RetroArch to work, but I can't get EasyMode's shader to load properly. Is it only for SNES stuff or something?

Anyway, the packed-in one has a really nice screen curve effect that I like.

EasyMode

So thank you for that one.

Thank you :)

I got the default CRT shader that comes with RetroArch to work, but I can't get EasyMode's shader to load properly. Is it only for SNES stuff or something?

Anyway, the packed-in one has a really nice screen curve effect that I like.

Did you download RetroArch from the Libretro download page or from the buildbot? The buildbot is recommended, as the version on the download page is really out of date and is missing a lot of shaders.

For the buildbot versions, download the latest RetroArch and cores nightly for your OS. Extract the RetroArch build to a folder of your choice, and extract the cores build into the cores subfolder. This includes a bunch of NES emulator cores like Nestopia, bNES, etc.

My shader isn't system specific. One of the great things about RetroArch is that shaders work across systems/cores.

Most single pass CRT shaders should use the following settings:

Passes: 1
Filter: Nearest
Scale: Don't Care (don't pick a multiple)

Under video settings, you can turn Integer Scale off to fill the screen vertically. Aspect ratio should be 4:3 for retro console cores.

Dizzy-4U

I have a question. Can anyone tell me what is this and why it happens? I disabled the shader to get the clear shot:

Bloody Roar 2 and Ehrgeiz do this. The rest run perfectly. Is it because they are both 60fps?

Palom

Under video settings, you can turn Integer Scale off to fill the screen vertically. Aspect ratio should be 4:3 for retro console cores.

I actually don't think 4:3 is really correct for anything. There's a thread on the libretro site about aspect ratios, and most systems seem to be best represented at 8:7. PS1 and PS2 games played through PS3 appear to use a 6:5 aspect ratio.

How many hundreds of hours I spent playing Super Street Fighter 2 on SNES as a teenager, the short, squatty characters at 4:3 never looked right to me.

Bloody Roar 2 and Ehrgeiz do this. The rest run perfectly. Is it because they are both 60fps?

In short, yes, it's because they run at 60 fps. It's a combing effect from deinterlacing the image. I was actually trying to look into this today, as I tried playing Ridge Racer turbo mode and ran into the same thing, but it even occurs on PS3 hardware.

EasyMode

I have a question. Can anyone tell me what is this and why it happens? I disabled the shader to get the clear shot:

It's interlacing caused by 480i output. Here's what you can do:

Shader passes 2

Shader 0: bob-and-ghost-deinterlace.cg (under shaders/misc)
Scale: 1x

Shader 1: crt shader
Scale: Don't Care

Just keep in mind that deinterlacing isn't perfect and may look juddery at times. Also, by default my shader wont draw the scanline effect for games > 400 lines. This can be adjusted with the Scanline Cutoff parameter, but it will look messy at 1080p.

Edit: The bob-deinterlace shader is sharper, but it messes up 240p output, and some games switch back and forth between resolutions.

I actually don't think 4:3 is really correct for anything. There's a thread on the libretro site about aspect ratios, and most systems seem to be best represented at 8:7. PS1 and PS2 games played through PS3 appear to use a 6:5 aspect ratio.

How many hundreds of hours I spent playing Super Street Fighter 2 on SNES as a teenager, the short, squatty characters at 4:3 never looked right to me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to start an aspect ratio debate, although I am familiar with that thread. I enjoyed playing these old systems on 4:3 tvs, that's why I mentioned it. People should use what pleases them.

Top Bottom