• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Dizzy-4U

In short, yes, it's because they run at 60 fps. It's a combing effect from deinterlacing the image. I was actually trying to look into this today, as I tried playing Ridge Racer turbo mode and ran into the same thing, but it even occurs on PS3 hardware.
It's interlacing caused by 480i output. Here's what you can do:

Shader passes 2

Shader 0: bob-and-ghost-deinterlace.cg (under shaders/misc)
Filter: Nearest
Scale: 1x

Shader 1: crt shader
Filter: Nearest
Scale: Don't Care

Just keep in mind that deinterlacing isn't perfect and may look juddery at times. Also, by default my shader wont draw the scanline effect for games > 400 lines. This can be adjusted with the Scanline Cutoff parameter, but it will look messy at 1080p.
It looks like that fixed the problem for the most part. I may look into another CRT shader for the psx core then.Thanks for the help.

retroarch-1212-012722qfkg1.png

RedSwirl

For some reason in the latest nightly build I can't get it to remember the content directory I set. No matter what I change it to it simply looks in the default folder. I even edited the configs.

EasyMode

It looks like that fixed the problem for the most part. I may look into another CRT shader for the psx core then.Thanks for the help.

I forgot to mention that crt-geom and crt-interlaced-halation have interlacing detection with alternating scanlines. You wont need the deinterlacing shaders with those, but some combing will still be visible.

Radius4

For some reason in the latest nightly build I can't get it to remember the content directory I set. No matter what I change it to it simply looks in the default folder. I even edited the configs.

Weird it works here, what nightly?
Btw content directory doesn't really have a purpose ATM, the RGUI directory is Browser directory

EasyMode

During initial set up, I've mistaken the content directory for the browser directory because the main menu refers to games/roms as content.

Edit: How long have we been in community? :(

Radius4

The nigthly builds became unstable for me- I just use the beta.

That's the whole idea of nightlies. Can you point out what issues are you experiencing?
I just found out core auto detect is crashing RA and I've located the commit. Anything else?

RedSwirl

This might not be the best place to ask, but is there a way to get the bNES emulator to adjust something called "VBlank" lines or update frames or whatever?

I ask because I'm trying to run a ROM of the original Elite which I got from a website hosted by the game's co-creator, and he had a list of settings he suggests for running the NES ROM. Is it at least possible to set it to something called "PAL Display"?

Edit: I think I just need to figure out how to get RetroArch to run cores in PAL mode. Or are there PAL cores?

bacardi

That's the whole idea of nightlies. Can you point out what issues are you experiencing?
I just found out core auto detect is crashing RA and I've located the commit. Anything else?

It's probably more of a bug in the beetle-psx core than RA itself. For example I get this constant error in the log showing that the memory cards are being created for the game and it spamms a message about it non-stop. And no .mcr card is actually created in the /system folder. Beta works without a problem.

Awakened

It's probably more of a bug in the beetle-psx core than RA itself. For example I get this constant error in the log showing that the memory cards are being created for the game and it spamms a message about it non-stop. And no .mcr card is actually created in the /system folder. Beta works without a problem.
Maybe setting a savefile path in your config will help. beetle/mednafen-psx was changed awhile back to use the savefile path for memcards if you have one set, but if you don't they'll go in system. Could be a bug with that process in the nightly.

Radius4

I don't have the issue on the latest nightly.

bacardi

this keep on happening to me since i about 2 weeks in the nightlies: this is the 12-12 built on 13th for both RA and cores:

k7K7LSl.png

jonathon

Neo Member
Hello, before I put my question, I must say retroarch is one of the greatest discoveries I made.
The question I have is with dosbox, I do not get to make it work (I did ScummVM and is amazing).

¿where is the .conf of dosbox?

PD: i use lubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Radius4

this keep on happening to me since i about 2 weeks in the nightlies: this is the 12-12 built on 13th for both RA and cores:

k7K7LSl.png

That's SRAM autosave for you, not a bug it's the intended behavior

Hello, before I put my question, I must say retroarch is one of the greatest discoveries I made.
The question I have is with dosbox, I do not get to make it work (I did ScummVM and is amazing).

¿where is the .conf of dosbox?

PD: i use lubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

it should work on linux, what problem are you experiencing?

Radius4

Try changing you r keyboard to US I guess.

Playing a bit with beetle's widescreen hack, added an "auto aspect ratio option so you don't have to change the AR under video options

RetroArch-1214-145622.png

RetroArch-1214-145627.png

Radius4

The dosbox core was ported by someone that isn't helping anymore and it's quite crude as you might have noticed...

It will be re-ported, then I will try my best to make it behave decently

Miker

Maybe a silly question, but how do you set the aspect ratio in RetroArch? The video settings menu has far, far too many options, and they're all too arcane for me to understand. I just want to make it 4:3.

Also, what's the easiest way to change shaders? Like add curvature or modify the blur? I'm using EasyMode's most recent filter from the previous page, and I think by default it's a little too sharp for me. But I could be wrong - a lot of the changes between various shaders are pretty subtle.

jonathon

Neo Member
The dosbox core was ported by someone that isn't helping anymore and it's quite crude as you might have noticed...

It will be re-ported, then I will try my best to make it behave decently

understood, I didn't know the first thing, continue this wonderful work you are doing.
Greetings!

Radius4

Maybe a silly question, but how do you set the aspect ratio in RetroArch? The video settings menu has far, far too many options, and they're all too arcane for me to understand. I just want to make it 4:3.

Also, what's the easiest way to change shaders? Like add curvature or modify the blur? I'm using EasyMode's most recent filter from the previous page, and I think by default it's a little too sharp for me. But I could be wrong - a lot of the changes between various shaders are pretty subtle.

Under video settings, aspect ratio index

EasyMode

Mine doesn't support curvature at the moment, but you can adjust the sharpness in the Shaders > Parameters menu.

Miker

Under video settings, aspect ratio index

Mine doesn't support curvature at the moment, but you can adjust the sharpness in the Shaders > Parameters menu.

Thanks, I'll take a look later.

EDIT:

Hmm, I adjusted the sharpness, but I don't think changing it (or any other of the variables) had any effect. I'm not sure really sure why. I go into Shaders > Parameters (menu) and I crank a bunch of settings to min/max and apply shader settings, but nothing changes.

I'm trying to get my games to look like the screens you posted here but all of my screens are really sharp and sterile-looking despite having scanlines. Any tips?

Radius4

On some versions before the beta saving parameters was broken.
Shader Parameters (Current) changes in real time
Shader Parameters (Menu) needs you to apply changes

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone know how to set up cheats?

I want to set up codes for Windjammers (Neogeo) but am sort of at a loss for how to get it going.

Radius4

Cheat support isn't even there for MAME/NeoGeo.
If you're using MAME you can use mame's cheat database enabling cheats in core options and adding cheat.7z to your systemdir\mame\ folder

EasyMode

I'm trying to get my games to look like the screens you posted here but all of my screens are really sharp and sterile-looking despite having scanlines. Any tips?

Those shots were all taken with default parameter settings.

Are you using BSNES Accuracy by any chance? That particular core has very sharp output. Balanced, performance, snes9x, etc should look like those screens.

Miker

Those shots were all taken with default parameter settings.

Are you using BSNES Accuracy by any chance? That particular core has very sharp output. Balanced, performance, snes9x, etc should look like those screens.

Oh, I am. I wasn't aware that the visuals would look any different between the cores. I'll change it to balance later today and see what's different.

EDIT: I think that did the trick! I'm running on balanced now and I think it's pretty much in line with your screenshots.

butman

Guys im having a colors related problem:

im using crt by easymode shaders and the color palette changes between winndowed and fullscreen mode.
Colors in windowed looks more vivid than fullscreen tha looks more desaturated.

Tested on nestopia core.

Any advice?

Awakened

There's a new GBA emulator out called mGBA targeting a balance between speed and accuracy. I tested it out briefly and it doesn't have the minor graphic or sound issues still present in VBA-M with Mother 3 or FF Dawn of Souls. It's really good for a first release. The author plans to make a libretro core version too.

butman

I just tried Megaman 2 in Nestopia and the colors looked the same in windowed and fullscreen.

If you post screenshots of both modes it would help narrow down the issue.

I realized that is Retroaarch itself that has the problem:

Heres windowed vivid shots:

Heres fullscreen:

Maybe it has something to do with RA settings or my VGA config? Im using a Intel 4000.

Its weird, when i uploaded them to imgur, the preview of the windowed shots looked just desaturated as the fullscreen ones. Once i see them 100% they look vivid again.

EasyMode

I realized that is Retroaarch itself that has the problem:

Maybe it has something to do with RA settings or my VGA config? Im using a Intel 4000.

Its weird, when i uploaded them to imgur, the preview of the windowed shots looked just desaturated as the fullscreen ones. Once i see them 100% they look vivid again.

The colors in those shots are identical. It seems to me like down scaling is making the rgb dot mask disappear, and you're describing them as desaturated. That's just a guess. If you click on the fullscreen shot to expand it, does it look correct?

Your fullscreen shot is 1080p, but is your display also 1080p? Is it a monitor or TV? I ask because the dot mask needs 1:1 pixel mapping to display correctly.

Also, I would recommend putting the pics in quote tags for easier scrolling.

butman

The colors in those shots are identical. It seems to me like down scaling is making the rgb dot mask disappear, and you're describing them as desaturated. That's just a guess. If you click on the fullscreen shot to expand it, does it look correct?

Your fullscreen shot is 1080p, but is your display also 1080p? Is it a monitor or TV? I ask because the dot mask needs 1:1 pixel mapping to display correctly.

Also, I would recommend putting the pics in quote tags for easier scrolling.

I changed the shots to MM2 one.

Mmmm now that you mention the 1080p thing. I regularly use Retroarch at my place with a 1600x900 monitor resolution. Now for holydays im at my parents house and i connected my NUC on a 1080 LED.
Maybe i must change the fullscreen config on Retroarch to pickup the new resolution?

EasyMode

I changed the shots to MM2 one.

Mmmm now that you mention the 1080p thing. I regularly use Retroarch at my place with a 1600x900 monitor resolution. Now for holydays im at my parents house and i connected my NUC on a 1080 LED.
Maybe i must change the fullscreen config on Retroarch to pickup the new resolution?

I just compared those MM2 shots in Photoshop and the colors are still identical. So I still believe its a scaling issue. In fullscreen, I'm pretty sure RetroArch uses whichever resolution your desktop is set to.

I also just noticed you're using RA 1.0.0.2. Now, I don't think your issue is caused by the older version, but the newer builds do have features you might find useful, like borderless windowed mode. I know some folks here have encountered issues with the nightly builds, but you can always keep it in a different folder for testing.

A few more things: I think the shader's scanlines would look better at scales 4x or higher (you have enough resolution for it), and if you like more saturated color, under Nestopia's Core Options you might want to try the Consumer palette. That's not related to your issue, but it's nice and vivid.

butman

I just compared those MM2 shots in Photoshop and the colors are still identical. So I still believe its a scaling issue. In fullscreen, I'm pretty sure RetroArch uses whichever resolution your desktop is set to.

I also just noticed you're using RA 1.0.0.2. Now, I don't think your issue is caused by the older version, but the newer builds do have features you might find useful, like borderless windowed mode. I know some folks here have encountered issues with the nightly builds, but you can always keep it in a different folder for testing.

A few more things: I think the shader's scanlines would look better at scales 4x or higher (you have enough resolution for it), and if you like more saturated color, under Nestopia's Core Options you might want to try the Consumer palette. That's not related to your issue, but it's nice and vivid.

Downloaded latest nightly, i see more options, and applied customer palette on core setting and it seem that it fixed.

windowed shot:

fullscreen shot:

Dizzy-4U

I'm trying to download the latest nightly from buildbot.

What's the difference between the "win-x86_64" folder located in the root directory and the one inside the "Windows" folder?

Edit: Nevermind, got the one in the root. It seems to be the latest one.

Dizzy-4U

Any of you used with xbmc?
and what is the best skin for Advanced Launcher? (I use Metropolis)
I hated xbmc for the longest time. It was always too bloated, full of menus and crap like that.

That said, I decided to give xbmc one last chance. It took me an entire day to have it the way I like it but I think it was worth it. I disabled all the submenus and most of it's features. I like to go straight to the content when I hit a button.

It's still a work in progress but this is how it looks right now:

Metropolis is the best skin in my opinion, not because of the way it looks but because it has so many "view types". There are some quite good skins out there but most of them fail in that regard.

As for fanarts, I went with my own screenshots. It's easier on the eyes when all the content have the same quality.

Chucker

I've started to mess around with Retroarch on the vWii. This stuff is all new to me, are there different SNES cores besides 9X?

Any other beginner tips would be rad too.

Thanks.

Just got a NVidia Shield and am looking on installing RetroArch. Are there cores for the following yet?

Atari 2600
Odyssey2
Amiga
Commodore 64
Intellivision
Coleco

The others I wanted were arcade ad SNES, see that those are covered well. How is the arcade core? Based on Final Burn Alpha? How does it stack against MAME?

Top Bottom