• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Rich!

Wow that is actually pretty impressive. Nice.

Thanks! Was debating on whether to keep the screen glare from the original image or not. Decided against it!

The curved filter goes brilliantly with my border. Well impressed.

Goldmund

Instructions on the first page, set up via either the emulator menu or in the phoenix configuration app.

I will update a guide later on.
Ah, yeah, I missed it, ... but why is it in the input menu? That doesn't make any sense to me. I can't seem to get them to work, still. I have a 1080p display, but I still only get black borders. Don't worry though, I'll just keep trying different video settings.

Rich!

Ah, yeah, I missed it, ... but why is it in the input menu? That doesn't make any sense to me. I can't seem to get them to work, still. I have a 1080p display, but I still only get black borders. Don't worry though, I'll just keep trying different video settings.

Quite simply, because I did it the lazy way and hacked an overlay designed for android inputs. That's why!

All that matters is that it works. If someone wants to use my borders and code it properly, then they can go ahead - but the results will be exactly the same. It works.

Also, you must be missing something. I'll get a complete guide and zip up later.

Lettuce

What multiplication do you guys use for the shaders, for example crt-cgwg & mdapt. Also the curved CRT sharder doesnt appear to create a curved view!

Also is there a way to change shaders on the fly?

Im wondering if theres a decent SweetFX config about that gives good crt effects??

IMACOMPUTA

Maybe try the OpenGL renderer

Goldmund

Quite simply, because I did it the lazy way and hacked an overlay designed for android inputs. That's why!

All that matters is that it works. If someone wants to use my borders and code it properly, then they can go ahead - but the results will be exactly the same. It works.

Also, you must be missing something. I'll get a complete guide and zip up later.
Clever! Well, I copied the settings you described in the setup.

Maybe try the OpenGL renderer
I tried that, didn't work. Maybe it's the shaders I'm using? The curved CRT. I'll keep trying a couple of things. It's not really that important.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
For some reason I can't manage to open the phoenix executable on the latest version. I downloaded a previous version and I managed to download the cores and everything else, but I updated Retroarch and it won't work. Any solutions?

(Using Windows 7, 32-bit)

Quoting myself for help :(

Hyllian

What multiplication do you guys use for the shaders, for example crt-cgwg & mdapt. Also the curved CRT sharder doesnt appear to create a curved view!
For each pass of mdapt, use 1x only (This shader deliver the same output res as the input. No need for more). Put crt-cgwg as the last pass and use multiplication 4x or 'don't care'.

I prefer to use 'don't care' scale in the last shader, because it saves some resources (I won't enter tecnical details) and can run faster than a fixed scale (4x, for example). If you notice 'don't care' option runs slow, then fix the last scale to 4x (that's because probably you're running at a final resolution bigger than 4 times the native res of the emulated console).

I've settled on using the following setup, shader/filter-wise:

SNES:
crt-geom-flat.cg + Blargg's SNES NTSC-RGB cpu filter

Genesis:
crt-geom-flat.cg

The crt-geom-flat.cg shader does the crt emulation (scanlines, pixel bleed/bloom), and Blargg's ntsc-rgb filter basically does a color gamut correction to make it look more like regular NTSC color space on a CRT. I prefer the rgb version because I don't understand people that want these things to look like they're running on RF or composite, the worst connections we had available to us at the time.

Unfortunately, Blargg's ntsc-rgb filter doesn't work with anything but the BSNES core properly, so I just use the CRT shader with the Genesis and put up with the less-than-accurate color gamut as a result. It's still better than nothing.

Where did you get Blarggs filter? The site I found it on, which seems to be the main site, has a broken link.

Also, audio driver presets? Which do people suggest? DirectSound for everything?

teiresias

Where did you get Blarggs filter? The site I found it on, which seems to be the main site, has a broken link.

Also, audio driver presets? Which do people suggest? DirectSound for everything?

I downloaded it here:

http://filthypants.blogspot.com/2012/07/customizing-cgwgs-crt-pixel-shader.html

Near the bottom of the blog post - scroll down until you see Super Metroid screenshots, the links are just below those. I downloaded the Win64 version, but there's multiple links there for others (though I didn't try to download the others). Keep in mind, this is a CPU filter so in the Video setup section you go into "Shaders/Filters" options and select the file for use on the "BSNES Core Filter" (or whatever the last field is in that window). There's no way to change CPU filters from within the GUI while the emulator is running as far as I can tell.

I downloaded it here:

http://filthypants.blogspot.com/2012/07/customizing-cgwgs-crt-pixel-shader.html

Near the bottom of the blog post - scroll down until you see Super Metroid screenshots, the links are just below those. I downloaded the Win64 version, but there's multiple links there for others (though I didn't try to download the others). Keep in mind, this is a CPU filter so in the Video setup section you go into "Shaders/Filters" options and select the file for use on the "BSNES Core Filter" (or whatever the last field is in that window). There's no way to change CPU filters from within the GUI while the emulator is running as far as I can tell.

Awesome thanks.

Now it's crashing when trying to use the CRT-flat shader you mentioned...Odd.

Seems like there's a lot to figure out, but really, I'm sure it's simple once it's all set. I would really love to have it setup through Steam and all that, so I'll have to look into it later. Love the old CRT look on some of these though. This is such a great program.

Lettuce

For each pass of mdapt, use 1x only (This shader deliver the same output res as the input. No need for more). Put crt-cgwg as the last pass and use multiplication 4x or 'don't care'.

I prefer to use 'don't care' scale in the last shader, because it saves some resources (I won't enter tecnical details) and can run faster than a fixed scale (4x, for example). If you notice 'don't care' option runs slow, then fix the last scale to 4x (that's because probably you're running at a final resolution bigger than 4 times the native res of the emulated console).

Ok thanks, can more than 2 filters been used at a time, or is anymore than 2 just have ill effects

Hyllian

Ok thanks, can more than 2 filters been used at a time, or is anymore than 2 just have ill effects
It can be up to 8 shaders at a time. But, you have to be careful about how you set them to not slow the game. The shader system is very sensible, so that you can have eight shaders and fullspeed and only one shader set and slow speed. So, you need to know what you're setting.

You can combine shaders freely. Many combinations will work and others won't. Always click on the "Apply Shader Changes" after any change (even if it only a scale change) to see the effect.

I'm the only one who had this problem?

mJK11ZR.jpg

Command prompt from Retroarch keeps crashing when starting a game trought Steam, outside of steam works perfectly. I can still play, but this little detail keeps me away from a seamlessly transition and it's driving me crazy. I followed exactly what other people is doing, I don't know what could be...

Awakened

For some reason I can't manage to open the phoenix executable on the latest version. I downloaded a previous version and I managed to download the cores and everything else, but I updated Retroarch and it won't work. Any solutions?

(Using Windows 7, 32-bit)
This is an issue on some 32bit systems with Phoenix, which there are some posts about here (around post 62). You could help them fix it by posting there with a crash log, since they don't have any 32bit machines to test with. Suprisingly I don't have the issue on either of my old 32bit XP machines.

At work now, but last night I couldn't get the GB or GBA borders working. The screen was getting cut off/not scaling down properly. Not sure what I did wrong-- for GB I selected the DMG border and the GB screen filter, and for GBA I selected the GBA border and the LCD screen filter.

Rich!

At work now, but last night I couldn't get the GB or GBA borders working. The screen was getting cut off/not scaling down properly. Not sure what I did wrong-- for GB I selected the DMG border and the GB screen filter, and for GBA I selected the GBA border and the LCD screen filter.

Firstly, what resolution are you running? I designed them personally for my display, which is 1080p. If it's not 1080p, it probably won't display them right. If so, have a go messing with overlay scale in the options...or just make a new border yourself for your screen res.

Also, have you got integer display on it off in the options?

Does anyone know if that XInput wrapper for DualShock 3 works for RetroArch (or rather, is RetroArch XInput-compatible)?

This has been my main emulator of choice for over a year now (mainly due to the awesome CRT shaders and whatnot), and I just replaced my hard drive less than two weeks ago, and with the anti-Motioninjoy threads I've been seeing lately, I'm not entirely sure I want to have it (that is, Motioninjoy) on my computer again.

I've got one of those Logitech controllers, but I absolutely hate its D-pad, so I'd really prefer to use my DS3. I'll use Motioninjoy if I have to; I haven't had any issues with it personally other than my PS3 turning on every time I unplug my DS3 from my computer, which is a minor annoyance at most.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does anyone know if that XInput wrapper for DualShock 3 works for RetroArch (or rather, is RetroArch XInput-compatible)?

This has been my main emulator of choice for over a year now (mainly due to the awesome CRT shaders and whatnot), and I just replaced my hard drive less than two weeks ago, and with the anti-Motioninjoy threads I've been seeing lately, I'm not entirely sure I want to have it (that is, Motioninjoy) on my computer again.

I've got one of those Logitech controllers, but I absolutely hate its D-pad, so I'd really prefer to use my DS3. I'll use Motioninjoy if I have to; I haven't had any issues with it personally other than my PS3 turning on every time I unplug my DS3 from my computer, which is a minor annoyance at most.

yeah. just tested it.

Ugh, now it's straight up not working for me. Giving me error code 3221225781. I tried looking it up, but to no avail.

I'm pretty sure I've got everything set up correctly, but I guess I don't.

On the bright side, though, it does seem to recognize my DS3.

Maybe I need to install the DirectX runtime or something. I'll try that.

Valtýr

IMO the best option for controls is to just buy a controller adapter for your PC and use the old controllers. This is assuming you still have them. I got a cheap SNES adapter and it works pretty much perfectly.

Valtýr;74137435 said:
IMO the best option for controls is to just buy a controller adapter for your PC and use the old controllers. This is assuming you still have them. I got a cheap SNES adapter and it works pretty much perfectly.

I have a SNES controller, but right now my current dilemma is just trying to get RetroArch to work on this install of Windows.

Installed DirectX. Still giving me the same error message. I'm just giving up on it for the night. I'll try to figure out what's wrong tomorrow.

I'm trying to get things setup for a GBA game, but it's taking some doing. I can't seem to find ANY GBA borders online.

That and I can't seem to get RetroArch to recognize my 360 controller at all.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
been messing around with this and I guess you can just launch games straight from the command line with it! looks like I'm replacing all my SNES9X batch files with RetroArch batch files and then I'm running BSNES and using Big Picture Mode as my frontend for each individual game :) Starts in fullscreen, no shitty windows menus or mouse cursors, and esc to exit right back to Big Picture Mode. Pure comfy couch console emulation bliss. Also, the Nestopia core in this works way better in this kind of setup than launching the full Nestopia.

Is it possible to add large amounts of your games to steam's big picture mode in one or two steps or do you need to add them one at a time?

IMACOMPUTA

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I needed those borders :(

EDIT: I have no idea why he was banned.. Was it something to do with this thread?

I did a really quick post history search (not much time at work) but don't see anything obvious. Maybe someone else can take a look.

I guess mods don't usually give background on these things, do they?

Lettuce

From his YT page

"just in case anyone from gaf is wondering why I am banned, it was a request. I am really not well, and any distractions will fuck up my recovery. Back in a month or so."

Miker

Couple questions, I'd appreciate some help with them.

- My games don't launch when I try the curved CRT filter (filename crt-curved.cg). Am I doing something wrong? Other filters seem to work.

- I'm getting terrible FPS and accompanying audio distortion despite Fraps showing a solid 60. This is most noticeable with VBA-next core and Meteor (also GBA), but task manager shows none of my four cores getting taxed. This is on a 3570 @ 4.4 Ghz. Any reason why?

- Oh, and I get a black screen when I try that cool looking analog TV shader set posted earlier. It launches, and has the vignetting and all that, but the screen is black.

Top Bottom