• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Thanks for checking the YT page, Lettuce. I can understand being distracted. GAF is nothing if not a distraction.

whats a ban bet?
Someone makes a bet on something and if they lose they're banned for a week or a month or some agreed upon period of time. Usually it's about sales numbers or some other dumb thing.

Paul_uk

Neo Member
Can anyone help me get my GBA games to look like this please?

iFLuA00ozC7zf.png

At the moment im using the vba core, but i cant seem to make the shader look like that?! heres the resulting image from my settings using the lcd filter from the pack.

Thank you for any help.

Has anyone made a slick interface for Retroarch on Wii? I played around with it a while ago and it seemed a bit too cumbersome for my tastes.

Is it possible to add large amounts of your games to steam's big picture mode in one or two steps or do you need to add them one at a time?

One at a time. Just lots of copying and pasting of file names into different batch files, and then running the BAT to EXE converter on all the batch files and then adding them all to steam, and then adding custom icons to them. It's not a quick process, that's for sure.

Lettuce

So what is the best CRT shader to use, i like the look of the curved shader but cannot get it to actually curve

One at a time. Just lots of copying and pasting of file names into different batch files, and then running the BAT to EXE converter on all the batch files and then adding them all to steam, and then adding custom icons to them. It's not a quick process, that's for sure.

Just got your batch method working for NES in steam. Works great. Do you have a sample batch file for MAME games? I tried getting Ninja Baseball Batman working with RetroArch and fbAlpha core but it doesn't work.

Zabka

Can anyone help me get my GBA games to look like this please?

At the moment im using the vba core, but i cant seem to make the shader look like that?! heres the resulting image from my settings using the lcd filter from the pack.

Thank you for any help.
Try turning off bilinear filtering. I think it's on by default.

Varna

Amazing emulator. Been wanting something like this forever. Love then you can just do everything with a gamepad.

Quick question, is there a way to get shaders to load automatically? Right now I have to manually apply the one I want each time.

ILoveBish

The Retroarch dev's finally have real android hardware now, previously one was using a very old phone, and the other was using a chinese knockoff tablet with a obscure cpu and a version of android hacked together by 14 year olds in a mongolian cave.

NVidia was awesome enough to give both of them Shields, and they are now realizing things aren't as bad in android land as they thought. They also said the shield wipes the floor with the PS3/360 when it comes to emulation. Very impressive stuff.

The Retroarch dev's finally have real android hardware now, previously one was using a very old phone, and the other was using a chinese knockoff tablet with a obscure cpu and a version of android hacked together by 14 year olds in a mongolian cave.

NVidia was awesome enough to give both of them Shields, and they are now realizing things aren't as bad in android land as they thought. They also said the shield wipes the floor with the PS3/360 when it comes to emulation. Very impressive stuff.

hahahah oh wow, Nvidia really wants Shield to sell

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Im wondering if theres a decent SweetFX config about that gives good crt effects??

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57723544&postcount=2

I use SweetFX and in all honesty I don't think these custom shaders in RetroArch offer anything that can't be done in SFX. SFX has a VERY customizable CRT effect shader that allows an incredibly authentic look.

or2006c2c20130511064407.png

Yeah that's what I figured. I already knew how to add the game one by one, was just hoping I could add them in large groups. Thanks for confirming it can't be done. I have been doing a bit of reading and watching some YT demos of HyperSpin and it looks pretty damn cool. I think I'm going to go with that.

Yup, that's my thread over there. SquarePusher and Maister seem extremely excited about tweaking RA to run better on the The Shield. RA is the *MAIN* reason I want a Shield. Couldn't honestly care less about streaming. The fact that The Shield eats even psx games for breakfast gives me a hard on.

Lettuce

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57723544&postcount=2

I use SweetFX and in all honesty I don't think these custom shaders in RetroArch offer anything that can't be done in SFX. SFX has a VERY customizable CRT effect shader that allows an incredibly authentic look.

or2006c2c20130511064407.png

Yeah that's what I figured. I already knew how to add the game one by one, was just hoping I could add them in large groups. Thanks for confirming it can't be done. I have been doing a bit of reading and watching some YT demos of HyperSpin and it looks pretty damn cool. I think I'm going to go with that.

Yup, that's my thread over there. SquarePusher and Maister seem extremely excited about tweaking RA to run better on the The Shield. RA is the *MAIN* reason I want a Shield. Couldn't honestly care less about streaming. The fact that The Shield eats even psx games for breakfast gives me a hard on.

Jesus, what the hell is going on with the bowed scanlines at the top and bottom of the screen...looks awful

Jesus, what the hell is going on with the bowed scanlines at the top and bottom of the screen...looks awful

That sort of stuff used to happen heaps with curved CRTs, I'm sure. I don't think they're scanlines though, but some other CRT artifact emphasised by the curve.

nded

That sort of stuff used to happen heaps with curved CRTs, I'm sure. I don't think they're scanlines though, but some other CRT artifact emphasised by the curve.

It's just a visual anomaly caused by curved scanlines being represented in a straight pixel grid. It's a lot less apparent on 1080p on a large screen, and I believe SweetFX has an option to supersample the scanline pattern to mitigate the effect slightly.

Does anyone know how to remap a gamepad button to the main menu or better yet save/load states? Can't find the approriate cfg settings or anything in the phoenix tool.

teiresias

Which BAT-to-EXE converter do you use?

Lettuce

Yeah maybe on cheaper CRT, myself haven't ever noticed anything like that in all the years ive used CRT's. Looks like the screen needs to be degaussed, the only way you would get that sort of effect is if a large magnet was place on top of the TV, or the TV was sat on 1

jbueno

Somebody hold me GAF, I´m passing out. Finally got this to work on Wii, though it seems to be 480i only for the moment. Still looks pretty good as I´m feeding that TV a component signal, for some near but not quite RGB goodness.

androvsky

Yeah maybe on cheaper CRT, myself haven't ever noticed anything like that in all the years ive used CRT's. Looks like the screen needs to be degaussed, the only way you would get that sort of effect is if a large magnet was place on top of the TV, or the TV was sat on 1

Those lines are an artifact of reproducing a scanline pattern (crt scanline filter) on another scanline pattern (pixels in the image posted on gaf), also known as a Moire pattern. Those lines won't show up nearly as much (or possibly at all) in higher resolutions, since the image is much less than 1080p.

Lettuce

Looks good.

Is anyone else having issues with the CRT curved shader? When i try it the display isnt curved and it looks really blurry??

wii_HD

Neo Member
Somebody hold me GAF, I´m passing out. Finally got this to work on Wii, though it seems to be 480i only for the moment. Still looks pretty good as I´m feeding that TV a component signal, for some near but not quite RGB goodness.

wiimote "-" key for settings to alter resolution.

RetroArch also works on GameCube to some degree i.e. all CPS1 but only 1 CPS2 game due to the lesser RAM on GC.

jbueno

wiimote "-" key for settings to alter resolution.

RetroArch also works on GameCube to some degree i.e. all CPS1 but only 1 CPS2 game due to the lesser RAM on GC.

Fiddled around with that, won´t give me my 240p scanlines. I hear this is an issue with the FBA core though, since the SNES GX, FCE and Genesis GX cores do support proper native res on their original emulators.

Is there a comprehensive tutorial on the PC version of this anywhere? The lack of documentation is seriously aggravating me.

I followed the directions on the first page, and I can launch games through retroarch-phoenix.exe, but I can't get the GUI version working. Doesn't recognize my 360 controller, or the config settings I set up in retroarch-phoenix. Any help?

ILoveBish

My note 2 plays all PSX games 60fps, you dont need super beefy hardware. Shield is beastly tho. I should add that i was the one who helped test the android port, and the videos on the retroarch youtube page were all done by me. I want to help them out more but i got to a point with squarepusher where he would use me as a punching bag and i had enough abuse about how bad android was, and had to leave the channel. Still love the project and all the work done for the good of open source.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
My note 2 plays all PSX games 60fps, you dont need super beefy hardware. Shield is beastly tho. I should add that i was the one who helped test the android port, and the videos on the retroarch youtube page were all done by me. I want to help them out more but i got to a point with squarepusher where he would use me as a punching bag and i had enough abuse about how bad android was, and had to leave the channel. Still love the project and all the work done for the good of open source.

LOL, yeah I see he does a knack for bashing Android in a lot of his posts.

Is there a comprehensive tutorial on the PC version of this anywhere? The lack of documentation is seriously aggravating me.

I followed the directions on the first page, and I can launch games through retroarch-phoenix.exe, but I can't get the GUI version working. Doesn't recognize my 360 controller, or the config settings I set up in retroarch-phoenix. Any help?

For the longest time I could not get my controller (wireless xbox 360) working. This is what I did to get it to work (I'm running this in Windows 7 x64 btw).

1. Launch retroarch-phoenix.exe
  2. Go to Settings > Input (a new window should open)
  3. make sure "Player 1" is selected in the drop down below where it says "Use Player 1 binds as net play client:".
  4. uncheck the "Detect analog" checkbox

Now you should be able to bind your controller buttons. For example:
  1. Under the column "RetroArch Bind", double click the row that says "A (right)"
  2. Click the button on your controller you want to bind that to. For me, I selected my "A" button and now under the "Bind" column, it displays "0 (button)".
  3. Continue down the list repeating the previous 2 steps.

For my controller I was only able to bind from "A (right)" down to "D-pad Down". I could not bind my triggers "LT" & "RT".

Once you are done, close that window to return to the main RetroArch-Phoenix window. Go to Settings > Controllers > Port 1 and select "DualAnalog" (if you're using an xbox360-like controller)

I hope that made sense.

Lettuce

Try this modified crt-cgwg shader and tell me if runs curved, please:

http://pastebin.com/bvvixHL1

Thanks!

That works, but there isnt a great degree of curve on the bottom or sides?....

iO3EjOYa3rULN.jpg

But at least its got a curve now, any ideas why the other shader released in the common-shaders-master pack which was posted a few pages back does work?

I was looking for something like the curve on outrun2 pic posted at the top of this page...but maybe not as server. Can this shader be edited like that, if so how?

Thanks again!

Lettuce

What about this?

Thats more like it maybe a bit too much barrel effect though, what options do i need to alter in the sharder to change the curve on all 4 sides?

If we could get the same amount of curve you have on the bottom of the screen on the F-Zero shot, so the top of the screen has the same amount of curve that would be almost perfect i think!

Looks like a Sony BVM image!!

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Thats more like it maybe a bit too much barrel effect though, what options do i need to alter in the sharder to change the curve on all 4 sides?

If we could get the same amount of curve you have on the bottom of the screen on the F-Zero shot, so the top of the screen has the same amount of curve that would be almost perfect i think!

Looks like a Sony BVM image!!
Ok give me a second and I'll tweak some more ;)

Hyllian

Thanks!

That works, but there isnt a great degree of curve on the bottom or sides?....

But at least its got a curve now, any ideas why the other shader released in the common-shaders-master pack which was posted a few pages back does work?

I was looking for something like the curve on outrun2 pic posted at the top of this page...but maybe not as server. Can this shader be edited like that, if so how?

Thanks again!
I don't know why, because I didn't made them. I support some of the shaders there, but not all.

You can edit this shaders, yes. Open it in notepad or any other simple text editor and look for a variable called "distortion". I've set it to 0.1. The original flat was set to 0.0. This parameter can be changed between 0.0 and 1.0. So, try that.

I don't know why the bottom isn't getting curved for you, though. I can't test now (I'm at work), but I remember it worked ok in my PS3.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to getting them cool custom Gameboy borders. Anyone have a detailed guide?

ss_lemonade

Were psx games really demanding? I only tried a couple on my s3 and they seem to work perfectly. I believe GBA was even more demanding.

I'm not surprised with Shield being better than ps3/360 though. Didn't squarepusher make similar claims with the ipad 4?

Chairhome

I'm not a big Linux guy, but I was toying with an extra PC that I installed Linux on and was wondering what the support for the Linux version is. Is it going to be a pain to get controller drivers working and stuff like that?

Hyllian

I'm not surprised with Shield being better than ps3/360 though.
Not in shader power. Shield barely run most shaders at 3x scale factor (I'm talking about the shaders at common-shaders). PS3 can run them easily at 5x scale factor. I think he was talking about CPU power and not GPU.

Miker

I had these questions on the last page, and I'd still like help with them:

Couple questions, I'd appreciate some help with them.

- My games don't launch when I try the curved CRT filter (filename crt-curved.cg). Am I doing something wrong? Other filters seem to work.

- Oh, and I get a black screen when I try that cool looking analog TV shader set posted earlier. It launches, and has the vignetting and all that, but the screen is black.

- I'm getting terrible FPS and accompanying audio distortion despite Fraps showing a solid 60. This is most noticeable with VBA-next core and Meteor (also GBA), but task manager shows none of my four cores getting taxed. This is on a 3570 @ 4.4 Ghz. Any reason why? <-- this bothers me the most

Top Bottom