• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

HURGHT

I had these questions on the last page, and I'd still like help with them:

Couple questions, I'd appreciate some help with them.

- My games don't launch when I try the curved CRT filter (filename crt-curved.cg). Am I doing something wrong? Other filters seem to work.

- Oh, and I get a black screen when I try that cool looking analog TV shader set posted earlier. It launches, and has the vignetting and all that, but the screen is black.

- I'm getting terrible FPS and accompanying audio distortion despite Fraps showing a solid 60. This is most noticeable with VBA-next core and Meteor (also GBA), but task manager shows none of my four cores getting taxed. This is on a 3570 @ 4.4 Ghz. Any reason why? <-- this bothers me the most

Running a second monitor with vsync enabled by any chance? I occasionally get similar hitching when I'm running two desktops. Was never able to iron out whether it was an issue of differing refresh rates or anything like that, so now I just disable one display or the other when I want to use retroarch. Seemed to clear up my issue.

I didn't spend the time to really try to solve my issue, but there's an option in the general settings for "Preferred Monitor Index" that might help you out. Keep in mind that the "index" starts at 0 (which would be the display identified as "1" by Windows), not 1.

Miker

Running a second monitor with vsync enabled by any chance? I occasionally get similar hitching when I'm running two desktops. Was never able to iron out whether it was an issue of differing refresh rates or anything like that, so now I just disable one display or the other when I want to use retroarch. Seemed to clear up my issue.

I didn't spend the time to really try to solve my issue, but there's an option in the general settings for "Preferred Monitor Index" that might help you out. Keep in mind that the "index" starts at 0 (which would be the display identified as "1" by Windows), not 1.

I actually do have a second monitor running, and I'll try disabling it and running it again later. Thanks for the suggestion.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Black border is not part of the image

cropped (1.12:1)
igDp2G4PPNN2Q.png

correct (1.33:1)
ibxH0iCQfwO5AX.png

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Have you just modified the crt-cgwg shader then. Can you post you modified version please.

Now all we need is a border of a Sony CRT etc
Here is link
And yes it's a modified version. And a Sony CRT border would be sweet!! Thats one thing i don't know/ adding borders within Retroarch.

Lettuce

Here is link
And yes it's a modified version. And a Sony CRT border would be sweet!! Thats one thing i don't know/ adding borders within Retroarch.

thanks, noticed the file is a .shader file. It doesnt show up in the shader list within RetroArch, if i change it to .cg then it shows up but the games no longer load when using the shader. Any ideas?

Lettuce

Are you using OpenGL?

No Direct3D9, not sure why anyone would use OpenGL over Direct3D9 now a days??

EDIT: OK so i changed the extension of your shader file from '.shader' to '.cg' so it shows up in the shader list. I changed the video from Direct3D9 to OpenGL and now when i load your shader file the game loads but no shader effect is applied to the game

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
No Direct3D9, not sure why anyone would use OpenGL over Direct3D9 now a days??

EDIT: OK so i changed the extension of your shader file from '.shader' to '.cg' so it shows up in the shader list. I changed the video from Direct3D9 to OpenGL and now when i load your shader file the game loads but no shader effect is applied to the game
I use it because for some reason i can't get the shaders working. But it will have no impact on the game. Have never had any performance issues with it either. Just test it and see what you think?

Lettuce

I use it because for some reason i can't get the shaders working. But it will have no impact on the game. Have never had any performance issues with it either. Just test it and see what you think?

Hmmm i take it you have to change the file extension to .cg right?, i have changed to OpenGL but im not seeing the shader whilst playing the game just looks normal no scanlines or screen curve.

This is the DOS window message retroarch is giving, there are some error codes....

ieqxRmNiO0iJ9.jpg

Miker

Still getting terrible performance even after messing with monitors and vsync options - anybody else having performance issues?

Awakened

I was trying out OBS and found it made it really easy to record HyperSpin, RetroArch and MAME so I uploaded a high quality video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVkNLmfL-DQ

This shows my custom HyperSpin themes, which are more simplistic and clean compared to most out there, and launching into two games per system. I don't use any fancy filters on the games themselves since I don't like how dark they usually make things. Just simple ones that keep the pixels clean.

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Hmmm i take it you have to change the file extension to .cg right?, i have changed to OpenGL but im not seeing the shader whilst playing the game just looks normal no scanlines or screen curve.

This is the DOS window message retroarch is giving, there are some error codes....

ieqxRmNiO0iJ9.jpg

No. It should just work as is.
So strange it's not working? Maybe you have some other error?

Lettuce

I was trying out OBS and found it made it really easy to record HyperSpin, RetroArch and MAME so I uploaded a high quality video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVkNLmfL-DQ

This shows my custom HyperSpin themes, which are more simplistic and clean compared to most out there, and launching into two games per system. I don't use any fancy filters on the games themselves since I don't like how dark they usually make things. Just simple ones that keep the pixels clean.

This is the thing, if your using HyperSpin then whats the point of RetroArch!?, especially when your not even using any of the shaders effects??

Miker

I get performance issues with the VBA-Next core, but BSNES and the Genesis core run without a hitch.

Would you mind me asking what your PC specs are? Although I understand that some emulators are built for accuracy and are surprisingly taxing, I thought my i5 3570k @ 4.4 Ghz and overclocked 7850 should be fine at emulating a GBA.

Lettuce

No. It should just work as is.
So strange it's not working? Maybe you have some other error?

Yeah i know its a pain, i just tried a fresh install and still did not work...maybe is a AMD GPU thing!?

Can you tell me what options you changed in the default crt-cgwg-curved shader file and ill make the change with the file i have here that works with direct3d9?

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Yeah i know its a pain, i just tried a fresh install and still did not work...maybe is a AMD GPU thing!?

Can you tell me what options you changed in the default crt-cgwg-curved shader file and ill make the change with the file i have here that works with direct3d9?
It could be but not sure that would make much difference?
Just change your file to:
// simulated distance from viewer to monitor
d = 2.0;
// radius of curvature
R = 2.0;

Let me know how that goes.

Awakened

This is the thing, if your using HyperSpin then whats the point of RetroArch!?, especially when your not even using any of the shaders effects??
- It launches into fullscreen faster and nicer than most stand-alone emulators. Stuff like Kega Fusion makes the screen go black for a few seconds like it's switching modes even though it's set to use my native res.

- It's perfect for portable use since it supports relative paths. My setup is completely contained in a folder; I can copy it to a USB stick and easily run it on any Windows PC and all saves and settings load from it without leaving anything on that PC. RetroArch detects and runs at the display's native res by default, so I don't have to change that manually either like most emulators that only remember that last resolution set.

- I can map fast forward and exit to any key or button I want without having to use HyperLaunch scripts that don't always work right. The fast forward in RetroArch is better than Fusion's also.

- The in game GUI for changing settings is pretty nice. Not quite as robust as MAME in some ways like input settings, but nicer than most stand-alone emulators for changing stuff while in fullscreen.

- Pixellate shader for all emulators. I had quite a time trying to figure out what the pixel rounding filter was for stand-alone emulators since it's usually called something different for each one. And most were blurrier than Pixellate.shader.

- Easy emulation core switching. I can change a single line in a cfg file if I feel like using FCEU instead of Nestopia for some reason (like the different palettes).

- Low input lag compared to most stand-alone emulators with VSync on.

- Bleeding edge emulation. Many of the cores are based on the latest git code. Though this can be a problem every once in awhile if there are regressions.

- Having everything in one place makes updating cores easy and overall simplifies my setup.

hlhbk

Is it just inside this emulator that the GBA emulator is having issues? If you download the stand alone version is it ok? I ran into some performance issues as well.

Lettuce

I'll send you over my full-pack of SHADERS
Again, I'm not sure why that doesn't show /maybe they have changed a few things??. But you can have a play with those. Sorry i can't be much more help.

thats ok thanks for the shaders. So you shouldn't have to rename the extension of the shader file, you should be able to leave it as .shader and it should show up in the shader list within RetroArch?

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
So you shouldn't have to rename the extension of the shader file, you should be able to leave it as .shader and it should show up in the shader list within RetroArch?
Yeah just leave as is. Sometimes if you change the extension it does weird things ;)
Like i said before,i have no problems using these with OpenGL.

Also has a great Dot 'n Bloom SHADER for the GBA.

If you want the GameBoy Shader I'll post that??

Lettuce

I appear to have got it to work now....well sort of. I was trying to changed the shader through the retroarch.exe and not retroarch-phoenix.exe, when loading a game through retroarch-phoenix and selecting a sharder then all shaders with the .shader extension show up!. But i have noticed as soon as i enable the curved shader the dispay is letter boxed and doesnt fill the screen on the vertical!?

ibe4UVfnhtb5Ce.jpg

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
I appear to have got it to work now....well sort of. I was trying to changed the shader through the retroarch.exe and not retroarch-phoenix.exe, when loading a game through retroarch-phoenix and selecting a sharder then all shaders with the .shader extension show up!. But i have noticed as soon as i enable the curved shader the dispay is letter boxed and doesnt fill the screen on the vertical!?

ibe4UVfnhtb5Ce.jpg

D'oh! I should of asked that!
Ok try my settings using the first file i sent you ok.

Which BAT-to-EXE converter do you use?
Slimm BAT to EXE Converter. Google it.
Just got your batch method working for NES in steam. Works great. Do you have a sample batch file for MAME games? I tried getting Ninja Baseball Batman working with RetroArch and fbAlpha core but it doesn't work.
Haven't gotten around to working on MAME yet, but I would assume as long as your command line syntax is proper that it'll work.

Awakened

Im guessing the PSX core with retroarch doesnt support audio streaming for older PSX games, like Ridge Racer??
It works with CDDA audio games as long as your cue file is formatted properly. Twisted Metal 2 is one that uses it for background music and the cue looks like this:

Code:
FILE "Twisted Metal 2.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 39:30:51
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 42:29:40
    INDEX 01 42:31:40
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 45:36:48
    INDEX 01 45:38:48
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 48:28:25
    INDEX 01 48:30:25
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 51:18:20
    INDEX 01 51:20:20
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 54:06:17
    INDEX 01 54:08:17
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 57:49:09
    INDEX 01 57:51:09
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 60:53:17
    INDEX 01 60:55:17
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 64:00:46
    INDEX 01 64:02:46
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 65:17:51
    INDEX 01 65:19:51
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 66:16:43
    INDEX 01 66:18:43

Hyllian

Damn those options dont appear in the shader file i have at all. Its the one Hyllian posted on the last page.....

I just ported the latest crt shader multipass. Now it has all those options. Don't ask me how to configure, because I don't know.

Get it here in cg format:

https://anonfiles.com/file/85d04174fbd475e638d93670aa266430

You need to load each shader pass (there are three passes). Put scale factor 1x for pass0 and pass1. For the last shader, put scale factor 3x or 4x.

Lettuce

It works with CDDA audio games as long as your cue file is formatted properly. Twisted Metal 2 is one that uses it for background music and the cue looks like this:

Code:
FILE "Twisted Metal 2.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 39:30:51
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 42:29:40
    INDEX 01 42:31:40
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 45:36:48
    INDEX 01 45:38:48
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 48:28:25
    INDEX 01 48:30:25
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 51:18:20
    INDEX 01 51:20:20
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 54:06:17
    INDEX 01 54:08:17
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 57:49:09
    INDEX 01 57:51:09
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 60:53:17
    INDEX 01 60:55:17
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 64:00:46
    INDEX 01 64:02:46
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 65:17:51
    INDEX 01 65:19:51
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 66:16:43
    INDEX 01 66:18:43

Hmm, i have tried ridge racer but didnt get any audio music, its a bin and cue file setup. It works fine in PCSX emulator with mobby2 cd disk image driver plugin. Is there no way to change the plugins for the retroarch psx emulator?

Also have noticed if loading a PSX game through the retroarch-phoenix exe that the game doesnt start are reports 'RetroArch with an error code! Code: 1' but not sure why?

Awakened

Hmm, i have tried ridge racer but didnt get any audio music, its a bin and cue file setup. It works fine in PCSX emulator with mobby2 cd disk image driver plugin. Is there no way to change the plugins for the retroarch psx emulator?
Mednafen PSX doesn't use plugins. I tried Ridge Racer and had the music play with this cue though:
Code:
FILE "Ridge Racer.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 00:20:66
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 05:38:54
    INDEX 01 05:40:54
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 10:13:50
    INDEX 01 10:15:50
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 15:34:26
    INDEX 01 15:36:26
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 21:01:08
    INDEX 01 21:03:08
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 26:09:72
    INDEX 01 26:11:72
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 31:14:16
    INDEX 01 31:16:16
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 33:16:17
    INDEX 01 33:18:17
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 34:33:37
    INDEX 01 34:35:37
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 34:45:15
    INDEX 01 34:47:15
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 36:49:17
    INDEX 01 36:51:17
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 38:28:11
    INDEX 01 38:30:11
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 40:59:00
    INDEX 01 41:01:00
You can try opening your .cue file with any text editor and paste that in there to see if it works.

Lettuce

Thanks for the cue file. I appear to not to be able to get the psx games to work, just quits out of the program when i load the bin file

Lettuce

you have to load the cue file instead.

Yeah i load the cue file, if i try loading in retroactive-phoniex.exe then i get the error code 1 message and it i try loading in with retroarch.exe then the whole program closes. I only have one game that seems to load but i dont get any CDDA audio music stream, and thats LOADED, does anyone have any ideas what the error code 1 message is all about, and does any one have a cue file for Loaded

Hyllian

so have to add them in 3 passes?? and the bottom one can be used on its own?

The preset I made uses four shaders. The fourth one is just a quilez shader to allows you to use any aspect ratio with moire mitigated. So, just load the preset and it'll work.

About the second question, I didn't test, but I think if you use only the third shader, the halation will be skipped.

Awakened

Yeah i load the cue file, if i try loading in retroactive-phoniex.exe then i get the error code 1 message and it i try loading in with retroarch.exe then the whole program closes. I only have one game that seems to load but i dont get any CDDA audio music stream, and thats LOADED, does anyone have any ideas what the error code 1 message is all about, and does any one have a cue file for Loaded
I just realized that someone on the libretro boards was getting that error and it seemed to be a BIOS issue. If you check out that post and scroll down you should be able to get it fixed.

Lettuce

I just realized that someone on the libretro boards was getting that error and it seemed to be a BIOS issue. If you check out that post and scroll down you should be able to get it fixed.

Good spot, that worked!!! I had to rename the bios file 5502 to 5501. Works like a charm, thanks man.

It would appear you have to use the RetroArch-Phoneix executable to run PSX game, in which case how do you add more than 1 shader filter, as it seems you can only pick 1 filter.

Is there a site that has CUE files for all PSX CDDA games?

Lettuce

The preset I made uses four shaders. The fourth one is just a quilez shader to allows you to use any aspect ratio with moire mitigated. So, just load the preset and it'll work.

About the second question, I didn't test, but I think if you use only the third shader, the halation will be skipped.

Can you explain how i downlaod these off that page?

Just so i understand the, crt-interlaced-halation.cgp file enables all the 3 sharder files together (crt-interlaced-halation-pass0,1, & 3)???

Is it possible on the edges of curved CRT, to fade them out slightly like MrRetrodreaming shader does at the top of this page?

There is a LOT of information to sift through here. Is there any chance someone's got an uploaded version of their setup (sans ROMs) that I can tinker with?

Hyllian

Can you explain how i downlaod these off that page?

Just so i understand the, crt-interlaced-halation.cgp file enables all the 3 sharder files together (crt-interlaced-halation-pass0,1, & 3)???

Is it possible on the edges of curved CRT, to fade them out slightly like MrRetrodreaming shader does at the top of this page?

Not only that, it enable four shaders, because I've included quilez.cg at the final to allow any aspect ratio and mitigate moire effects. A .cgp is a preset.

I don't know, I just ported it to cg. The author is cgwg.

I recommend you to download all repo by clicking the download zip button in the first page:

fsfsfdsfds.png

Lettuce

Not only that, it enable four shaders, because I've included quilez.cg at the final to allow any aspect ratio and mitigate moire effects. A .cgp is a preset.

I don't know, I just ported it to cg. The author is cgwg.

I recommend you to download all repo by clicking the download zip button in the first page:

fsfsfdsfds.png

Ah right so that gets around RetroArch-Phoenix.exe not being able to load more than 1 shader then?. What's the deal with RetroArch-Phoenix.exe and RetroArch.exe why have 2 executables?, RetroArch seems alot more versatile but does allow you to play psx games??

Top Bottom