• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retsupurae Thread: They Do Videos or Something

Their look at Mortal Kombat Mythologies is the one that had me crying with laughter the most. Room Break in more recent months.

Diabeetus has EXACTLY my kind of humour and him and my pal slowbeef have great chemistry.

I find Retsupurae hit and miss. Some are hilarious, with others I'll loose interest in within a couple minutes. The Slendamann video was hilarious though, always remember that one.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Their look at Mortal Kombat Mythologies is the one that had me crying with laughter the most. Room Break in more recent months.

Diabeetus has EXACTLY my kind of humour and him and my pal slowbeef have great chemistry.

Yeah, MK Mythologies is the one that introduced me to Retsupurae and made a fan of theirs. A great starter video.

Other favorites of mine:
- The Parodius otaku video, with Shmorky as a guest sounding like your crazy housemate yelling from the kitchen: "Yeah, crud, FUCKIN CRUD"
- Earnest Evans: so goofy
- The Cobra cutscene video game
- Shadow of Destiny, as someone else said
- The bad Super Mario Bros. 3 player: the guy actually gets a game over, and the end of the video... Well, I'm not gonna spoil it for you
- The Ambition/Negotiator series: Because I'm a terrorist
- The King's Quest games
- That full-motion video game where you have a tank and everything explodes all the time on an island, including hostages. Can't remember the title.

There was also one game I can't remember the title of. It looked a bit like a Resident Evil game (i.e. PS1 graphics, 3D models, pre-rendered backgrounds, tank controls) except very action-oriented, like... completely bonkers over-the-top. They even showed the beginning of the video at a convention panel. Anyone remember it?

I find Retsupurae hit and miss. Some are hilarious, with others I'll loose interest in within a couple minutes. The Slendamann video was hilarious though, always remember that one.

I have to agree with you on that. For instance, while the Cobra cutscene videos are classics, the 3D Cobra game videos are a bore. You can hear them regret it as they're doing it. I'm not the hugest fan of their Kickstarter videos either.

Hilarion

Been watching Retsupurae for...well...I guess I started watching them in 2009, so 7 years.

Some of their content is really good, some is merely very good, some is meh, and some is just filler. Modern Retsupurae has some very hit or miss Longplay (Wrongpurae) series, some of which are fantastic and others of which bore me to tears.

The Kickstarter Nonstarter videos are mostly quality stuff with some being excellent, and the Dahir Insaat videos this summer are consistently some of their best material of the 2010s.

Hilarion

Has anyone seen the maslow box one? The one where they sell you boxes. The boxes are empty, but not empty of meaning.

THIS. This one is great. I actually ended up sending it to my mother, who isn't really the sort of person in Retsupurae's target demo at all and she absolutely loved it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
tank game is the ironically titled surgical strike

psx game is deep freeze probably? maybe trag?

Yes, Deep Freeze!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3iWS9rSMQ&index=1&list=PLo4M1tlpv9ruH_jsb8cM2S-qB76oIm-OZ

It's awesome; The cutscenes and voice acting alone are hilarious.

Of their more recent Retsupurae, my favorite is Dracula Unleashed. The coaches are something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl9O27-9rfI&list=PLo4M1tlpv9rsvSh9jA0svnhq_TWpVZaOI&index=1

Love me some Retsupurae. Subscribed and watch pretty much everything.

My personal highlights are Ambition (why did it have to end on a cliffhanger?!?), Darkseed 1 and 2 (wow what a slug through the second), and King's Quest V and VI.

I feel like it is getting more hit and miss. Not the commentary, which is as good as ever to me, but the games they are reviewing. But I still love it.

Is there a reason they don't, you know, make fun of Let's Plays anymore?
Probably a combination of Let's Play quality improving and the historical problems they've had of RP fans harassing Let's Players.

I think they've said before that people have gone on BillyMC's page and given him grief and they don't support that, nor do they support it for any other LP video they review. I am guessing they just figured it's easier not to do them anymore.

BTA

I watched a few episodes of Ambition the other day and part 5 just now.

What happened between the parts that made the developer suddenly swerve things into... that? I mean, it was hilarious, but not exactly in the way or at the times I think they wanted.

Fat4all

Banned
I watched a few episodes of Ambition the other day and part 5 just now.

What happened between the parts that made the developer suddenly swerve things into... that? I mean, it was hilarious, but not exactly in the way or at the times I think they wanted.

it get's crazier

effinslowbeef

Neo Member
Is there a reason they don't, you know, make fun of Let's Plays anymore?

I'll give the short answer: there's many reasons, but the main ones:

1. Last one we did, guy wanted me to sign a legal contract (he actually had a lawyer draft it) that we wouldn't make fun of him anymore. It had consideration and everything! Honestly, it's too much of a headache, people file copyright strikes, YT is weird about scarecam footage, etc. I worked hard on the channel over the 7-8 years it's been up and I don't want to lose it.

2. Diabetus doesn't think they're funny anymore.

Adnor

Banned
Hey, slowbeef! Good to see you here! Completely understable why you guys don't make more RPs.

You guys need to get TDI the next time you find a weird military quadcopter video.

Mawlok

I have never laughed more from a youtube video than the Phatasmagoria video with lowtax.
Almost the entire thing had me in tears.

1. Last one we did, guy wanted me to sign a legal contract (he actually had a lawyer draft it) that we wouldn't make fun of him anymore. It had consideration and everything! Honestly, it's too much of a headache, people file copyright strikes, YT is weird about scarecam footage, etc. I worked hard on the channel over the 7-8 years it's been up and I don't want to lose it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

also have you guys done blue stinger and/or illbleed yet

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Oh crap, had no idea you were on GAF! Welcome, and thanks for the clarification, makes sense.

Personally my favorites were always your commentaries of long plays of shitty games (e.g. Shadow of Destiny, Ambition, Deep Freeze, Mortal Kombat Mythologies, Dracula Unleashed, etc.). As long as you and Betus keep making those, I'll be a happy camper. I have no idea how the people who play those for you can suffer through those abominations, but I know I'm thankful to them and to you for that.

[EDIT] Wow, you literally joined GAF 5 days ago. Explains why we saw you on here before. Again, welcome. We're not SomethingAwful, but we can be awf- I mean awesome too!

Vlaphor

file a counterclaim enforcing that you're the creator of let's play and they're infringing on your property. that's how the law works i think

Hey, he said I was, kinda...

tumblr_n12b27B2Hq1r3sy6wo1_1280.jpg

Maybe semi-related, but I've been watching a lot of of stuff from the Freelance Astronauts, including their OoT Master Quest LP and their runthrough of Oregon Trail.

I know they disbanded and Maxwell Adams still posts on SA, but what happened to the others? From some comments from themselves and others, Pipes was in Boston and Ferr (Or possibly Evek) went into comedy. Anybody got proof of that?

Also, welcome Slowbeef!

L Thammy

Maybe semi-related, but I've been watching a lot of of stuff from the Freelance Astronauts, including their OoT Master Quest LP and their runthrough of Oregon Trail.

I know they disbanded and Maxwell Adams still posts on SA, but what happened to the others? From some comments from themselves and others, Pipes was in Boston and Ferr (Or possibly Evek) went into comedy. Anybody got proof of that?

Also, welcome Slowbeef!

On this subject. I thought it was hilarious that Diabetus managed seem like he went into King's Quest VI blind despite being a guest in Maxwell Adams' King's Quest VI LP. I can only assume that he was so drunk that he has no memory of the event.

It's been a little while since I followed them - though I currently have some MP3s of Slowbeef's creepypasta readings on my phone - but I think Retsupurae's generally been at its best when they build characters. Like Billy, Musclebomber, Cornshaq, and Limepopsicle. Or Mike Dawson, even Ted Hartrop and Duke Crabtree from Ambition.

effinslowbeef

Neo Member
It's been a little while since I followed them - though I currently have some MP3s of Slowbeef's creepypasta readings on my phone - but I think Retsupurae's generally been at its best when they build characters. Like Billy, Musclebomber, Cornshaq, and Limepopsicle. Or Mike Dawson, even Ted Hartrop and Duke Crabtree from Ambition.

I agree, which is why I like longplays... but then they get less viewership than the one-offs so I wonder if I'm in the minority?

So the plan is to try and have both, I guess. You'd think I'd have figured this crap out by now.

I agree, which is why I like longplays... but then they get less viewership than the one-offs so I wonder if I'm in the minority?

So the plan is to try and have both, I guess. You'd think I'd have figured this crap out by now.
It's sad that the long plays get less hits because they are absolutely the best thing about Retsupurae. Especially the games I played back in the day (KQ6 was my jam).

But it takes dedication, which is why you probably get less hits.

Do they get less hits when combining all parts of the video? Or just each video gets less hits?

PS. I'm glad that your wife is getting into the scene. It's gotta be good for the marriage...or is it? :)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

I don't know if you're in the minority, but if so, we both are, Slowbeef.
Again, your Longplays of crappy games are the absolute best. I rewatched the Deep Freeze LP a couple weeks ago and I had a blast.

Maybe LPs are more dependent on the content? i.e. if the game just doesn't grab the audience initially, then the whole series will suffer as a result. I know I haven't watched your latest LPs as religiously as before, but that's more down to the kinds of games you choose. My favorites tend to be shitty PS1-era games and goofy point and clicks. FMV games are hit-or-miss in my experience, and I can't always be bothered to start watching them. I couldn't tell you what it is about them that are harder to get into for me. That said, the last LP I really enjoyed was Dracula Unleashed. Same with Flash games: more often than not, they just bore me to tears.

I think when it comes down to it, Longplays are much more time intensive then a standard one and done video, or Dahir Insaat and Kickstarter Nonstarters.

FWIW Slowbeef, I much prefer the Longplays because they make great background noise when I am playing games.

Veldin

Personally it's the longplays that make for the most memorable videos and I end up going back to them again and again. I've watched/listened to the Darkseed 1 & 2 longplays an absurd number of times since they were uploaded and they're still hilarious to me. One-offs can be just as good, but I typically only check them out once or twice.

Adnor

Banned
Chip Cheezum, Ironicus, VoidBurger and Snugglebeast are halfway through GextraLife, where they're playing Gex the Gecko for 24 hours straight. They're just starting Gex 3 and I think they plan to go back to Gex 2 to get the 100% ending. They wanted to raise $2,500 dollars for Hurley's Children Hospital but they have already reached $18,000.

Come and watch the rest, the stream has been really fun so far.

http://www.hitbox.tv/ChipCheezum

Chip Cheezum, Ironicus, VoidBurger and Snugglebeast are halfway through GextraLife, where they're playing Gex the Gecko for 24 hours straight. They're just starting Gex 3 and I think they plan to go back to Gex 2 to get the 100% ending. They wanted to raise $2,500 dollars for Hurley's Children Hospital but they have already reached $18,000.

Ah, is this a labor day thing?

Chil and Ironicus please make another riff :(

Glowsquid

so this is why my twitter feed is flooded with gay Bubsy/Gex fanart

Top Bottom