• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retsupurae Thread: They Do Videos or Something

retsu.png

What is Retsupurae?

Retsupurae is a youtube channel run by youtuber Slowbeef, one of the first people credited with making let's plays on the Internet. Started in 2008, Slowbeef discovered a bad Super Mario All Star's let's play that he decided to comment over with fellow Something Awful user Sinix. Since then, Slowbeef has continued running the channel with other Internet personalities, delivering funny and satrical narration over let's plays, long plays, and other weird videos they can find.

Who is a part of it?

Slowbeef:

Early Internet let's player and Something Awful moderator. His critique of flaws found in videos is brutally funny. Creator of the channel.

Diabeetus:
Let's player known for his Battletoad videos. Extremely witty in his commentary. Co-founder of Retsupurae.

There's a ton of other guest commentators as well: Proteus, Shmorky, Dave_o, and Psychedelic Eyeball, and Chip Cheezum to name a few.

So What's There To Watch?

Retsupurae Youtube Home Channel

Retsufrash: Retsupurae mocks horrible flash games found on Newgrounds.

Wrongpuraes: Slowbeef and Diabeetus go for the long haul in and commentary to long plays of video games that are often poorly made.

Retsutalk: A podcast show involving Slowbeef and Diabeetus.

Retsublitz: A month long run of Retsupuraeing videos daily.

Guestsupuraes: Slowbeef retsupuraes a video with a guest commentator.

Crappy Pasta: Slowbeef narrates hilariously bad creepypasta while Diabeetus plays games in the background.

Kickstarter Nonstarters: Slowbeef and others comically critique poorly thought out crowdfunding ideas.

Retsuwatch: Slowbeef and Diabeetus watch and commentate over TV shows.

NAViGaTR with George Wood: Gaming in Clinton Years

Twitter: https://twitter.com/retsupurae
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Retsupurae/299808608094
Google+ Page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/103789014322506824119/+retsu/posts?pageId=103789014322506824119
Retsutalk Podcasts on Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/retsutalk/id573040722

Been following them since they made their first channel "Retsupray" years ago and loved it. Their cornshaq and gaminggoose riffs were classic. Their videos have always been pretty hilarious. Really enjoyed their recent Dahir Insaat videos.

Mature

Have followed Retsupurae for some time now. Wish they'd do their podcast more often!

I think the Navagtr videos are a good place to start.

MrHoot

Oh shit a retsuthread !

I always thought Retsupurae needed a face on Neogaf welcome back to Super Mario Galaxy 2

BTA

I've only ever watched a few videos of theirs despite friends being big fans, but just yesterday I felt a sudden urge to watch more after not seeing any in what has to be a year or two.

So I'm glad this thread can help provide. What're some good ones to start with?

Vyse24

Have followed Retsupurae for some time now. Wish they'd do their podcast more often!

I think the Navagtr videos are a good place to start.

If you don't think that's a good place to start watching, then you are stupid! Yes I know, that's insulting, but it's also true.

Dead to Rights

as far as wrongpuraes go, shadow of destiny is a favorite of mine that doesn't seem to get quite as much credit as a darkseed or king's quest. it's one of the better paced ones imo, as i recall it having a good deal of absurd shit every episode

Toad.T

Banned
Shame that the other related folks have shied away from this stuff. ChipCheezum/GeneralIronicus's was at least a year and a half ago, while I'm not even sure what happened to the Brittish co host they had for a while? (Mr.DJB, I think he was called?)

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this already. Been following the channel for ages, always great stuff.

Negotiator/Ambition is still my favorite series they ever did.

Adnor

Banned
Everyone should watch the Negotiator series, every video is full of gems.

"-Because I'm a terrorist!
-WHAT!?!?"

Son Of D

Their Ambition series is how I discovered Retsupurae. It's just great to see how crazy the series gets as something that was meant to be a negotiator practice game.

Also their recent Dahir Insaat videos are great.

Deft Beck

I watched all of the Dark Seed 2 playthrough and I still quote "Did you kill Rita" in my head all the time. Oh, and the ring toss quotes.

Love the channel.

Technically not the first thread we've had on these guys, but, well, the one one's very much dead, so... hey, new thread! Subbing.

Small nitpick, though:

NAVAGTR with George Wood: Gaming in Clinton Years
It's "NAViGaTR".

Been following them since they made their first channel "Retsupray" years ago and loved it. Their cornshaq and gaminggoose riffs were classic. Their videos have always been pretty hilarious. Really enjoyed their recent Dahir Insaat videos.
Actually, retsuplay was their second channel - their current one is their first. retsuplay came about for a brief spell when retsupurae was banned.

Shame that the other related folks have shied away from this stuff. ChipCheezum/GeneralIronicus's was at least a year and a half ago, while I'm not even sure what happened to the Brittish co host they had for a while? (Mr.DJB, I think he was called?)
AFAIK, he moved to Spain for a work opportunity. Not sure what happened after that, I wound up unfollowing him on Twitter for reasons I'd rather not get into. Still think he's a nice guy, though.

I think it's because Chip and Ironicus generally are focused upon making LP's and they want to focus on that considering that they have a somewhat consistent updating schedule.

Still, that Nintendo double bill last Christmas was truly the greatest present anyone could ever get.

Just here for the Dahir Insaat (The so-called "Russian DARPA") riffs.

Like seriously, I want to know the internal logic involved in their... Everything.

Like, the only thing I can get out of their QuadCopter and Remote Tank videos is "ROOSIYA STRONK" nationalism with no basis in science.

Just here for the Dahir Insaat (The so-called "Russian DARPA") riffs.

Like seriously, I want to know the internal logic involved in their... Everything.

Like, the only thing I can get out of their QuadCopter and Remote Tank videos is "ROOSIYA STRONK" nationalism with no basis in science.

I like the Earthquake Safety bed one, if only for Tie Tuesday going "THIS MOTHERFUCKER, AND YOUR IN THERE!" which always gets me cracking up.

Glowsquid

from what I've been able to dig up, dahir insaat seems to be a bizarre patent-trolling scheme by a russian engineer (?) named "dahir semenov"

Toad.T

Banned
I think it's because Chip and Ironicus generally are focused upon making LP's and they want to focus on that considering that they have a somewhat consistent updating schedule.

Still, that Nintendo double bill last Christmas was truly the greatest present anyone could ever get.

For whatever reason, I offed my subscription to them, and they don't have the RP channel on their related stuff. Link to their channel?

Toxi

Banned
Just finished the Darkseed 2 Wrongpurae a week ago and couldn't stop laughing over every joke involving Mike Dawson.

And believe me, there are a lot of jokes you can make involving Mike Dawson.
Everyone should watch the Negotiator series, every video is full of gems.

"-Because I'm a terrorist!
-WHAT!?!?"
Probably their best.

tumblr_mnspakxkjX1rddyhgo1_500.gif

N4Us

My favorite Lets Play riffs of theirs:

Battletoads - There's so much that goes wrong in this video it's great. Some of their earlier riffs didn't age well but this one still gets me in tears.
Super laggy Sonic 2
ActionBastard and Tyler play Monster in my Pocket
Wizardry - This one's a bit cruel but the "Your whole party's poisoned!" bit always gets me.
Silent Hill
MuscleBomber plays Street Fighter

Also most people haven't seen this one but this riff of a Mega Man 10 LP from a live stream they did was worth it for the ending alone.

My favorite longplays they did are Last Alert, Darkseed 2, Dracula Unleashed, Earnest Evans, Exmortis, Shadow of the Comet, and Kings Quest 5 and 6.

aadiboy

I wish they didn't stop doing Let's Play riffs...those were some of the best videos on the channel, and now they never do them anymore. Too many Kickstarter riff videos for my taste as well. However, their Wrongpuraes are great and I wish they did more of those.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I miss when they riffed LPs. That was their bread and butter. Now they're just an off-the-cuff MST3K for video games and I don't know, it's just not as engaging.

I miss when they riffed LPs. That was their bread and butter. Now they're just an off-the-cuff MST3K for video games and I don't know, it's just not as engaging.

The thing is, when their fanbase inevitably went off the rails and started trolling and doxxing some of the people being LP'ed, I think Slowbeef really started to realize what was going on and took the channel in a different direction out of need.

You watch the old Retsupraes too and by god, Slowbeef especially, was savage in his critique. I think also with age and increased fame he mellowed out significantly.

there's some REALLY good stuff in the RPing the LPs, but going back to some of them... a fair amount of it is just mean spirited and doesn't hold up super well imo. it feels like beef and betus have grown up and mellowed out a lot, which i really appreciate. retsupurae is one of the very few things that i watched, like, 6 or 7 years ago that i still watch to this day, in large part due to the fact that they've morphed over time.

honestly most of the funny stuff in RPing the LPs is the really bizarre as opposed to the straight up bad, and they've done a pretty good job of tapping into the same "bizarre" vein in a lot of their stuff since then. there's only so many times you can make fun of camcorder videos or awkward commentary

Actually, retsuplay was their second channel - their current one is their first. retsuplay came about for a brief spell when retsupurae was banned.

Retsupray was actually their first. It ended up getting banned pretty quickly (and still is banned) though since this was probably 2008ish back when they first started the "Let's Play with YouTube" bit on SomethingAwful and fans of the LPers they riffed got mad at them "stealing videos" and other nonsense. Then they made Retsupurae (their current one) and had to use Retsuplay after their current one was banned for a bit.

It's all confusing to track since it happened quite awhile back and all the names are very similar. I only remember this crap because I was in the LP communities back in '08/09.

On the subject of them not RPing bad LPs anymore I kind of respect it. It's good that they don't want people ganging up on someone because they made a video they made fun of and I feel stuff like George Wood, and Dahir Insaat are so much more entertaining. I respect them for making videos that make fun but aren't really malicious.

Yukinari

there's some REALLY good stuff in the RPing the LPs, but going back to some of them... a fair amount of it is just mean spirited and doesn't hold up super well imo. it feels like beef and betus have grown up and mellowed out a lot, which i really appreciate. retsupurae is one of the very few things that i watched, like, 6 or 7 years ago that i still watch to this day, in large part due to the fact that they've morphed over time.

honestly most of the funny stuff in RPing the LPs is the really bizarre as opposed to the straight up bad, and they've done a pretty good job of tapping into the same "bizarre" vein in a lot of their stuff since then. there's only so many times you can make fun of camcorder videos or awkward commentary

I used to watch some of the LP'ers they made fun of back then and i honestly dont feel bad for any of them. Some of them have become better in recent years while the rest stayed obscure as youtube evolved.

Sianos

as far as wrongpuraes go, shadow of destiny is a favorite of mine that doesn't seem to get quite as much credit as a darkseed or king's quest. it's one of the better paced ones imo, as i recall it having a good deal of absurd shit every episode

I second this recommendation: Shadow of Destiny was quite the ride.

Top Bottom