• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokecapn & The Posse LPs | Actually, we're here mostly for Medibot

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In 2008, several people (later dubbed “pokecapn & the Posse”) set out to accomplish a grand feat: to finish the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) in one sitting. Dreams and hopes were crushed, sanity was lost, and brains were broken, to the point of singing Rocket Man. People generally loved this LP because:

After that, people came back to watch The Posse go through several Sonic games, Mario Party games, and some other weird stuff (including livestreams) because of the guys’ sense of humour and funny reactions to games’ events.

Many figured that we should have a thread dedicated to their LPs or interesting streams in general just because it won’t be any use and most of us will end up talking about them eventually in other threads. This thread will mostly focus on the Let’s Plays done by pokecapn, My Name Is Kaz, Kung Fu Jesus, and medibot. Other LPs done by other people featured in some of these LPs can certainly be posted in this thread.

And if you find a neat video Let’s Play by anyone else, you can definitely post it in here as long as the person does not have his/her own thread (ex: Spoony, Giant Bomb, etc.). I’ll add it to the OP if people seem to like it. If you would like to check out other LPs that GAF recommends, we have two threads for that so far: this recent thread and this thread from 2010, which cover both text/screenshot and video LPs.

If I’m missing any LPs (and I know I am), please let me know.

HI0Nw.png

[Updated 05/23/14 – Woooo! We back.]

Current Posse LPs: Recent Entries

HI0Nw.png

Others:

Bean

RunButton

[Sonic Lost World]

Diabetus

Slowbeef

Chip & Ironicus

supergreatfriend

HI0Nw.png

Retsupurae!

Retsupurae

Retsutalk (Earlier episodes archived here)

Shadow of Destiny is incredible.

HI0Nw.png

92NuI.png

pokecapn Let’s Plays

Twitch Archive

Kung Fu Jesus Let’s Plays

Twitch Archive

My Name Is Kaz Let’s Plays

Twitch Archive

medibot Let’s Plays

Twitch Archive

HI0Nw.png

Video Let’s Plays by Others

Supergreatfriend: Deadly Premonition | Showing How to Get it Done Properly with 100% Completion (Site)
RunButton: 20 Years of Sonic | You Can Never Have Too Much Sonic
[RunButton] Sonic 0-Sick!: Part 1; Part 2
[Sega1991] Sonic and the Black Knight Complete Playthrough
[RunButton] They Probably Fixed This One: Let's Play Sonic 4: Episode 2 - Part 1; Part 2; Part Metal; Part 3
docfuture: Sonic 1: Easy Mode | Chillax, You Guys
docfuture: Sonic 2: Special Edition | It’s Very Special
Slowbeef & Diabetus: Dark Seed | The Horrors of Real Estate
Slowbeef & Diabetus: Dark Seed 2 | The Continuing Adventures of Mike Dawson
Slowbeef & Diabetus: King’s Quest VI | Throne High
Slowbeef & Diabetus: King’s Quest V | The Million Dollar Game
The Freelance Astronauts LPs (Site - Uses Viddler) | Noteworthy: Mass Effect, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Seaman

I'd like to cast a vote for the LP group formerly known as Tipping Forties. They were mainly known for drinking heavily while playing through games and this came to a head during their Goldeneye LP (where they take turns playing while following conditions set by viewers such as always walk backwards, say an appropriate one liner after every kill etc and the player has to drink every time they can't or don't follow a condition) and Tales of Symphonia (where viewers would suggest words that everyone would have to take a drink when the characters say, this resulted in some guy in the thread playing the game ahead of them to pick the words that would come up most in order to destroy them). But they aren't just about drinking, they just generally have fun playing through games unless it is Final Fantasy or Fable in which case they start off okay then slowly hate the game and it's funny to see them suffer.
They also did Mario Party before Pokecapn made it cool.

They stopped doing LPs as a group recently and aren't called Tipping Forties any more, but Kuvo and Topikal from the group are continuing LPs and are doing a Deus Ex: Human Revolution (SA thread here, Youtube account here) one right now that still stands up to the standards of the previous LPs and probably has way more work put into it since now they actually show off all the stuff they miss as well as having a fun time. Aside from that, if anyone was to watch an old LP of theirs I'd probably suggest New Super Mario Bros Wii, Fallout New Vegas or LittleBigPlanet 2.

Chip and Ironicus. These guys are great. They've done just about every Metal Gear game and the first two Uncharted games. They go between being funny and informative, though things don't go so off the rails ridiculous like they can with Pokecapn and friends. Cabela's Dangerous Hunts is a good one to watch, if you're looking for something you probably haven't played. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is another good one to watch.

I usually like to encourage people to bring videos from new players to the thread, so I’m going to throw my hat to someone who I’ve been watching for a while, and whose videos I think should have been posted a little earlier on in this thread. I’ve obtained his permission to begin posting his playthroughs in this thread, and therefore I will begin doing so.

Bean has a channel mostly dedicated to Mega Man playthroughs and music, but he likes to dabble in Mario and Sonic every now and then. In the past, he’s done many thorough annotated playthroughs, but lately he’s begun to take to the microphone and put his voice to the test to supplement his playthroughs. I personally like both of his approaches, and I think he’s incredibly informative, a good writer, and a good speaker. These three aspects are generally the characteristics I look for in a video playthrough.

He’s been doing these informative playthroughs since 2008, combining his strengths as a writer and his wit into one playthrough or a single segment run. The majority of his playthrough videos are relegated to annotations and essentially act as “FAQs in motion”, but they’re very fun to watch, and it’s amazing seeing someone play a game as well as he does. He’s begun to do a few playthrough videos where he provides voiced commentary over his playthrough videos, and I think they do a good job at describing what he’s doing in a game and why he’s doing it in order to provide a skilled and thorough playthrough. Recently, through practice, he’s gotten a lot better at voicing over his playthroughs fluidly, confidently, and saliently. A good sample of his playthroughs include:

So, check these videos out, and give him a chance!

Happy watching! :)

Myriadis

I really like these guys, their Sonic 2006 LP is really good. Freelance Astronauts are still my favorites, but I really like these guys here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I gotta watch this sometime. Pokecapn and crew are one of my favorite LPers.
I started watching it last night, and it's very good so far. The new equipment seems to be working out well for them.

They're basically voicing some of the thoughts I had when I played through the game.

Welp, there goes a chunk of my free time tonight.

I didn't play through XIII-2, so experiencing it with an LP from these guys should be hilarious.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm torn... Do I watch it now or wait for Spoonyone's review of 13 so I don't get spoiled
Wait, because the very beginning of FFXIII-2 spoils the FFXIII ending.

But this is a good game.
They LP good games too. KFJ recently did one for God Hand, and most of the crew joined in on the Sonic Generations LP, for example.

Most people just recognize them from the Sonic 2006 LP.

Billiechu said:
Oh thank goodness. I didn't want to spend money on the game. Thanks, Schala~
Oh Billiechuuuu... :lol They don't do everything, and have a tendency to miss some optional stuff.

For example, they missed one of my favourite scenes (episode 2/3 slight spoilers, I guess, but it doesn't convey much of the story), but that's because it's not obvious to the player.

GOGMAGOG! His theme is awesome.

For example, they missed one of my favourite scenes (episode 2/3 slight spoilers, I guess, but it doesn't convey much of the story), but that's because it's not obvious to the player.

I'm getting the impression from that scene that the VAs are actually pretty good, it's just the god-awful dialogue that's bringing it down.

Leeness

I'm so excited for this you have no idea. And I kind of shamefully loved FF13-2.

Too bad my computer has mood-swinging sound. It's ~off~ right now, so once it feels like turning back on, HERE WE GO. :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Episode 7: "This music is, like, right out of Sonic 2006", in reference to Worlds Collide.

Why didn't I notice that before?
KuGsj.gif

Well I just don't want to spend money! Saving it for stuff...
I know that feel. The DLC episodes are a treat just because of the same reason on my side.

GOGMAGOG! His theme is awesome.
We need to 'shop a microphone into his hand. Or a toilet beneath him.

Despite finding the game middle-of-the-road overall, I feel like I'm getting a new, funnier perspective of events, which is a very good thing. I also have a newfound appreciation for Gogmagog.

It doesn't seem like a bad game- the opening few hours are already a million times better than FFXIII's.

The monster stuff is great. "...TIM!"

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"There's a lot going on and there's like zero tension." Final Fantasy post-PSX era summarised perfectly right there.

Also sweet, now I can bitch about FFXIII-2 without giving Squeenix my moniez.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aw, c'mon. It could be like a bunch of ERs or LPs where you feel compelled to buy the game after a few episodes.

It doesn't seem like a bad game- the opening few hours are already a million times better than FFXIII's.

The monster stuff is great. "...TIM!"
VEX!

It isn't bad. I just ended up feeling indifferent towards it in the end, and admittedly began to play it & platinum it for the sake of playing & platinuming it alone. I'd written about my feelings about it in the Sonic community thread here.

The reason why Kung-Fu Jesus does so badly in the sixth episode is because:
- he started levelling up Serah and Noel willy-nilly without taking into consideration their initial stats (ie: Serah should be magic/debuff-focused, and Noel should be phys/buff-focused), so that indirectly made the game a little harder for him at the beginning, but by the end he should be fine. These are the things you should keep in mind when going through the Crystarium in this game to maximize your stats.
- Auto-battle a lot, which isn't a very efficient method.
- He had very bad optima set up, but that's what made the episode funnier, so it was fun to watch.
- Lack of ATB Cancelling.

But I'm watching this to be entertained, so I don't care much.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aw, c'mon. It could be like a bunch of ERs or LPs where you feel compelled to buy the game after a few episodes.
Final Fantasy is dead to me. That doesn't mean I can't keep laughing at its expense!

edit: ending of episode 4: oh my god this is so stupid

edit2: pretty sure the wounding mechanic was in Final Fantasy XII as the Virus status.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Final Fantasy is dead to me. That doesn't mean I can't keep laughing at its expense!

edit: ending of episode 4: oh my god this is so stupid
Laughing at any game is always fun.

I just got to Episode 8. Oh man, if they go for all of the fragments in this game and do some of this stuff legit, this is going to be so much fun to watch.

Emitan

Laughing at any game is always fun.

I just got to Episode 8. Oh man, if they go for all of the fragments in this game and do some of this stuff legit, this is going to be so much fun to watch.

Are you cackling? I'm imagining a big grin on your face as you rub your hands together in glee.

Just in time, finished this game yesterday. I hope they take the biggest dump on Mog the Moogle.
Kupo.

What other LPs of theres are worth watching? Their S2K6 LP is some of the best entertainment on the web.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm not saying Final Fantasy stories weren't as stupid before... but at least they didn't hammer you up with stuff you just saw. Let's just say characters said stuff more succinctly.
Just in time, finished this game yesterday. I hope they take the biggest dump on Mog the Moogle.
Kupo.

What other LPs of theres are worth watching? Their S2K6 LP is some of the best entertainment on the web.
Their Sonic Unleashed one is just as painful. Their Sonic Colors one, however, is genuinely fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are you cackling? I'm imagining a big grin on your face as you rub your hands together in glee.
Oh yeah. There are some things that I took a while with in FFXIII-2 since I tried to do them legit and then resorted to using an algorithm or putting an elastic on my controller for a few hours. I'm looking forward to the possible episodes if they ever try to attempt some of this stuff... that you need for the true ending.

edit2: pretty sure the wounding mechanic was in Final Fantasy XII as the Virus status.
Kind of.

Wounding takes off a chunk of your max HP (how much is dependent on Wound resistance; you can increase this by casting Vigilance on your party members, and also by equipping stuff that have the Woundguard skill... Curse can decrease your Wound resistance) for the duration of the fight and can be healed with Wound Potions.

Disease/Virus in FFXII just changes your current HP into your max HP, and enemies just like to pair it up with Sap or Poison from what I've seen.

AwakenedCloud said:
Sonic Colours (fun to watch), Sonic Generations (alright, but not as good as Colours), and probably Sonic Unleashed (this can be painful sometimes since Werehog stages are long, and gathering coins to open up levels isn't very fun).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Their Black Knight LP is the only one I haven't finished. I'm guessing the day they recorded it they had had a long day. They just sound so bored.

The thing about watching Unleashed LPs is that they become a videocast during the Werehog levels. I ended up surfing the internet while listening do their commentary and only looking up if something weird happened.
Kind of.

Wounding takes off a chunk of your max HP (how much is dependent on Wound resistance; you can increase this by casting Vigilance on your party members, and also by equipping stuff that have the Woundguard skill... Curse can decrease your Wound resistance) for the duration of the fight and can be healed with Wound Potions.

Disease/Virus in FFXII just changes your current HP into your max HP, and enemies just like to pair it up with Sap or Poison from what I've seen.
Basically the same thing. Damn I miss that game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What makes the Unleashed LP so bad, the Werehog?
The LP itself isn't so bad, because it can be hilarious. Not as funny as 2006, but funny at times due to commentary.

It's just that the Werehog stages are really long. The last level of the game takes them almost 90 minutes to get through too.

Edit: Has anyone watched their Black Knight LP?
That's the only one I haven't finished.

Basically the same thing. Damn I miss that game.
Wounding is certainly not as debilitating as Disease/Virus, imo, if you know what you're doing.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ewww... Seriously? Listening to witless, unfunny people prattle aimlessly whilst playing an easy game astonishingly badly is not my idea of entertainment.

I got about 10 minutes into the second part... Painfully bad.

The thing about watching Unleashed LPs is that they become a videocast during the Werehog levels. I ended up surfing the internet while listening do their commentary and only looking up if something weird happened.

Yeah, the RunButton LP's Sonic Unleashed bit is the same. TBH I kinda prefer Kyle and Keith's nonsense over pokecapn's posse- of course, the posse is better at commenting on the actual game, so yeah.

Ewww... Seriously? Listening to witless, unfunny people prattle aimlessly whilst playing an easy game astonishingly badly is not my idea of entertainment.

I got about 10 minutes into the second part... Painfully bad.

Fair enough. The last time we had an LP thread there was a ton of people who pretty much fucking hate the concept and execution too, so it's understandable.

God help you if you ever go looking at non-SA LPs on YouTube if you find this dire, though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Green Scar said:
Fair enough. The last time we had an LP thread there was a ton of people who pretty much fucking hate the concept and execution too, so it's understandable.

Honestly I think the Dark Id's Drakengard and Nier LPs on SA have really spoiled me. They were so, so good - genuinely funny and interesting.

Hey, maybe it improves but I gave the videos the best part of an hour of my time and I didn't crack a smile once. My loss I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, the RunButton LP's Sonic Unleashed bit is the same. TBH I kinda prefer Kyle and Keith's nonsense over pokecapn's posse- of course, the posse is better at commenting on the actual game, so yeah.
Yeah, Keith and Kyle's approach towards Unleashed (ie: doing a majority of the medal hunting offscreen to shorten the playthrough), and Kyle's tone colour enhanced their LP of it somewhat.

Eh, more of our amusement came from the Sonic 06 LP and we're used to their sense of humour based on their LPs coming after. It's okay if you don't like it. To be fair, I definitely agree that they're playing the game really badly, and have a poor concept of strategy. Like, it's the main reason why they die so many times.

But I don't really care to give out advice and stuff outside of that one post I made since the thread is essentially about having fun with the LP in general, and keeping the thread as chill as possible. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a lot better when you take the story as a joke and joke around with the dialogue, much like duckroll said in the OT one time.

Personally, I find a number of FF13-2 songs are reminding me of Phantasy Star Online. But that's still a Sonic Team game!
Who says FFXIII-2 isn't a Sonic Team game? >.>

Noel's Silver and Serah's, uh, Cream or something. She's not Blaze, is she? Caius is Mephiles, I think. Yeul's Tikal.

The music direction in this game reminded me of Persona a bit, but then my thoughts started to drift towards Sonic Team and SEGA in general, since a lot of their stuff focuses on the lyrical value of the music and upbeat melodies.

And, oh, I remember you said once that you wanted to play this game. Do you still want to for the novelty value now that you've seen it beyond a few cutscenes?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunno if people are up to the latest episode yet, but... Episode 24 - In Which We Ride That Chocobo

Oh, I know what they do in this episode. :lol

I'm up to the ep where Crushabolic doesn't give a fuck. I never used monsters when I played the game (outside of doing the Feral Link trophy, where I used a bomb monster, the monster they've called Gank, and Crushabolic (which I later infused into a hedgehog-like monster)), but when I used the monster for a certain boss fight (which the crew have yet to get to), I used Crushabolic (and when I had to do the fight again for an alternate ending, I infused Crushabolic into the hedgehog monster). He's awesome.

edit: "This, this is what it means to have no sense of pacing, plot, or progression."

Edit 2: Just got to the episode where they're in the place where it's encounter after encounter after encounter after encounter. Oh boy, this should be fun.

Oooooh. Link? Nier is one of my favorite games of all time and I've always wanted to play Drakengard.
The Nier LP is archived here (and I think it's a text with pics LP), and the Drakengard LP is archived here (also text with pics).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Episode 25 - In Which We Find More Cores

In this episode, KFJ and crew have to do all of the puzzles that I hate doing naturally (ie: pen and paper) in this game! Yaaaaaaay (they get much much harder later on in the game if you choose to do more sidequests to get more fragments). The puzzles they're going through right now are easy...

Since most of SonicGAF is watching this, this is basically a point in the game where it tells you that you have to find five things before the game progresses. If you're not actively looking for them while you're going through the game normally, you're going to have to backtrack and look for them. The game asks you for 5 here, but you can get additional ones later on (making a total of 7, I think; it's been a while).

Gosh, doesn't that sound familiar, only not as bad? :p At least you don't have to replay Werehog levels or something.

I also feel like I have to correct something that pokecapn said in an earlier episode: for most of the alternate/Paradox endings, you need to beat the game in order to have access to this Fragment ability called the "Paradox Scope" (or "Grand Cross" in the Japanese version). Turn this on during boss fights to make some of them harder, but you'll be able to get a Paradox ending this way. There are probably one or two of them that you don't need the Paradox Scope on for, but in most cases, you do need to beat the game first to get the endings.

Top Bottom