• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retsupurae Thread: They Do Videos or Something

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Just popping in here to recommend the Wrongpurae of Deep Fear.

And the long play of Deep Freeze. 2 different games, both 3D titles with prerendered backgrounds from the 32-bit era, so it can be a bit confusing, but they're entirely different games.

Deep Fear is interesting if you want to see Retsupurae riff on a poor man's Resident Evil.
Deep Freeze is interesting if you want to see a completely bonkers action game with beyond cheesy voice acting.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Dunno if it was intentional or not but the animal soccer thing was a perfect follow up to Snowjob. Almost made me miss the inane crosswords and web surfing! Hope there's another room escape type RP in the near future. Those games with the baffing scenarios/writing are always humorous!

B00TE

One of my favorite youtube channels. The longplay commentaries are the best and kept me entertained during a pretty rough patch at college.

The thing is, when their fanbase inevitably went off the rails and started trolling and doxxing some of the people being LP'ed, I think Slowbeef really started to realize what was going on and took the channel in a different direction out of need.

You watch the old Retsupraes too and by god, Slowbeef especially, was savage in his critique. I think also with age and increased fame he mellowed out significantly.

I feel like in the old days they wouldn't have cared much about people ganging up on the video creators - at the time Something Awful was sort of like a proto-4chan. There was a sense that nobody else had the right to the Let's Play format and they were fucking it up and giving it a bad name, and deserved all the criticism they got. Other than BillyMC obviously, a one-sided relationship kind of grew there over time.

Things could've gone either way, full unrepentant asshole just utterly savaging videos and not giving a fuck, or the direction they've evolved into today. I think being an unrepentant asshole toward individuals just minding their own business makes you too many enemies on the internet these days, that's why laughably bad old targets, the kind without a face, are more acceptable.

I feel like in the old days they wouldn't have cared much about people ganging up on the video creators - at the time Something Awful was sort of like a proto-4chan. There was a sense that nobody else had the right to the Let's Play format and they were fucking it up and giving it a bad name, and deserved all the criticism they got. Other than BillyMC obviously, a one-sided relationship kind of grew there over time.

Things could've gone either way, full unrepentant asshole just utterly savaging videos and not giving a fuck, or the direction they've evolved into today. I think being an unrepentant asshole toward individuals just minding their own business makes you too many enemies on the internet these days, that's why laughably bad old targets, the kind without a face, are more acceptable.

At the bolded: I agree completely. I can still somewhat feel that superiority complex, but I think most people realize that LP's as a whole have changed since Youtube got their hands upon it, and they realize that if they can give an informative and entertaining video, then the sort of beefs doesn't matter.

MrHoot

And on the first episode already we can bask again in the total nonsense of a Michael Gibson interactive narrative. The weird dialogue, the references, the awfully awkward drawings. Truely he has mastered his craft

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Oh shit, can't wait to get home and watch this.

Too bad about Dahir Insaat, but strangely enough they never did much for me. Longplays of crappy games will always be the best.

Kneefoil

I've been rewatching the old Negotiator/Ambition retsufrashes, and they are still as funny as ever. Also, the games definitely take place in the same universe as Move or Die:
7b4a80df92.png

Edit: Haha! I forgot that Ambition also had the karma bus.

I wonder how far along the alleged new Ambition episodes are? I know slowbeef and Diabetus were in contact with Gibson a while back, and he confirmed some were in progress. As ridiculous as Move or Die is, I'll take all the more of his "dramas" ASAP.

What.
MOVE OR DIE - THE TELEVISION SERIES

Currently on-line is part 1 of a 6 part series that will bridge television and the internet.

Each episode will begin as a half-hour animated comedy-adventure on television and conclude as a full-blown negotiation game on the web. Syd and Wilma are brother and sister who have not seen each other for three years. During their time apart both of their lives have become intolerably complicated and both covet secrets, which they must share with the other. Unfortunately, neither knows how to initiate the conversation and fate takes over in the form of a dead man lying in the middle of the road. The television audience will have three opportunities to suggest the best course of action. Unfortunately, Syd and Wilma argue against good advice and choose the most selfish, self-centred course of action. The television show will end each week in tragedy. The audience will then be invited to go to the web to negotiate with Syd and Wilma and change the outcome of the story. The on-line story will advance beyond the television show and Syd and Wilma will survive for another week.
http://www.zapdramatic.com/mod.htm
Does anyone have any idea what this 'television series' is supposed to be? I can't find anything online, and I'm not going to pay a $5 subscription fee to find out.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Watched the first two "D" episodes an whew what a game! Its hard to see and hard to tell whats fmv an when the players actually in control! Heard of the game back in the day, had a Saturn, no regrets not buying it!

But sheesh! Sonic '06, Snow Job, an now this. Will Sega games/systems never be shown in a good light? lol. Wonder if Warp.'s other Saturn games got localized... >.>

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whoops! Shows how lil even I think of the Sega CD since I thought Snowjob was on there. But they did do Dracula Unleashed for the Sega CD! These silly adventure games are all starting to blend together.

Whoops! Shows how lil even I think of the Sega CD since I thought Snowjob was on there. But they did do Dracula Unleashed for the Sega CD! These silly adventure games are all starting to blend together.

Dracula Unleashed was pure brilliance. Never before have I been so invested in the cab drivers of Victorian London.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Dracula Unleashed was pure brilliance. Never before have I been so invested in the cab drivers of Victorian London.

I gotta rewatch that one. It's been long enough that it can feel fresh again. The cab driver mafia is just too funny.

I highly suggest watching the Shadow of the Comet (the 2D Lovecraftian point n' click) wrongpurae. Some ridiculous twists and animation in that one, and one of those classic slowbeef fits of laughter.

N4Us

My favorite part is when the guy was supposed to keep watch the girl overnight, then he falls asleep, wakes up, the girl's dead and he yells something like "How did this happen?"

I was dying

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Finished "D" an wow what the heck even was that twist? Worst
dracula
ever? My mind was like "whatevs" an went right back to thinking about room and gear rotating @_@; That one steam review made up for it just for showing that I'm not the only one who types like that! Peeps write howevers they want, ya know?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
That Story of London game was an unexpected treat! It felt like the ultimate backtracking simulator. Click 2 or 3 things, get sent right back to dad, an repeat! Amazing comedic payoff though!

L Thammy

Trying to slowly catch myself since I haven't closely followed Retsupurae in a while. Apparently since 2013 or 2014? Yikes. So far Surgical Strike is my favourite "new" video.

Would it be in bad taste to post games I'd like to see Wrongpuraes of? Hearing Slowbeef wax nostalgic about the horrible games he played as a child has me trying to remember the horrible games I played as a child.

Tongue of the Fatman was a pre-SF2 fighting game by Activision. Gameplay-wise, it's got no special moves and all the characters are the same, so you just find the move with long-ish range and hold the button down because it comes out repeatedly. But you bet money on your fights and can get items, so that's something, at least. The real star of the game is the character design, which basically comes down to "kids like weird shit, right?" Also, the cover of the game was a guy with marbles shoved up his nose. There's apparently also a Genesis version called Slaughter Sport which is looks almost like a completely different (albeit still terrible) game.

Hugo 2: Whodunnit was text parser adventure game. It came out after King's Quest V so it was dated even for the time, but that's excusable because the series was made by one guy. While the rest of the series pretty typical, I think 2 stands out for being nonsensical even for an adventure game. The plot is kicked off by the main character (Penelope) witnessing a murder in her uncle's mansion, so naturally she leaves the mansion to do totally unrelated adventure game things. This includes
knocking out an old man, saving Doctor Who from a Dalek, and summoning a genie. The ending has it turn out that the murder was just a play, although you could have died on your adventure and literally every scrap of evidence points at your husband.

Wow I didn't know there was a thread on here for Retsupurae. This brings me back to 2009? When I watched Slowbeef's first VLP of Super Metroid. Subscribed.

catching up on recent videos, i cant fucking believe retsupurae is my first exposure to a gamera-themed panzer dragoon clone with a zuntata soundtrack

what the fuck

I'd heard about it from HG101 in advance. I could've sworn reading that there's a major flaw that isn't immediately apparent in footage, but double-checking it, nope, they're almost entirely in favor of the game.

Top Bottom