• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return of the ugly red box: New PS3 GH titles

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Sony shamelessly rips off Nintendo again. They are only doing this because New Super Mario Bros. Wii was so successful.

29qi4n9.jpg

21oneih.jpg

tmarques

Just imported Infamous from the UK - it's not just the cover art that is ugly as sin, the gray box looks awful. You can't tell how cheap it looks until you see it in person. But I guess you can't ask for much for a tenner.

I also got Little Big Planet - should I be angry I didn't wait for this GOTY edition? What are the extras?

Banned
JaseC said:
It's in colour. The disc basically follows the same design as the cover. :lol

Really? I thought they'd go with black-only/no image/text-only to save on costs. Not so bad if it's the same disk as the original at least.

Banned
tmarques said:
Just imported Infamous from the UK - it's not just the cover art that is ugly as sin, the gray box looks awful. You can't tell how cheap it looks until you see it in person. But I guess you can't ask for much for a tenner.

this hideous thing?

345766ps_500h.jpg

ew. They should be paying you a tenner to take it away.

I have always thought that for re-releases like this, what an opportunity it would be to create all-new awesome boxart. I mean, they are reprinting everything anyway. Think about it... then not only would new purchasers of the game benefit from the lower price like they are now, but collectors would also have a reason to buy an additional copy of their favorite games = more copies sold. Instead of just reusing the old art and adding a red stripe, why not go all out?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
00011000 said:
Really? I thought they'd go with black-only/no image/text-only to save on costs. Not so bad if it's the same disk as the original at least.

It's not quite the same as the original. Disc art is sacrificed for the sake of Platinum branding:
x0tuv5.jpg

Edit: The new Platinum covers are even worse than the old ones. :lol

00011000 said:
The US Greatest Hits discs are still in colour, but they have a Red-Stripe branding on them.

Personally, I'm all too happy to see red stripes. Tells me I'm going to get a great game for cheap.

tmarques

this hideous thing?

Looks far worse in person. The case looks so cheap you're afraid it will fall apart when you open it. I don't see why they do it - it's almost as if Sony is DARING you to buy it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I liked the way the Uncharted GH with the new ps3 logo looked. I figured the red in the top stripe was subtle enough that if you replaced it with an old case it'd look great.

outsidah

Is Heavenly Sword supposed to be stuck in some kind of time freeze where it will always cost $59.99? Really? Even with GoW3 out?

dwin45

outsidah said:
Is Heavenly Sword supposed to be stuck in some kind of time freeze where it will always cost $59.99? Really? Even with GoW3 out?
Uh, it costs less than $30 on Amazon.

SlickVic

I've yet to buy a GH game on PS3. Guess I'm just not as patient this gen since half my PS2 collection was GH games.

LBP GOTY is a great pickup at this price. Will pick it up once I got some more cash.

sturmdogg

ghostmind said:
From the latest Walmart flyer:

Killzone 2
Resistance 2
inFAMOUS
LittleBigPlanet GOTY Edition
UFC Undisputed

Are all getting the GH treatment, complete with snazzy new red PS3 stripe at the top.

Definitely getting these....Day one!!!!!1!

Maximus.

I always thought KZ2 was greatest hits. Finally inFamous has gone down to 30! Probably will wait for a sale stores usually have for buy 2 for 40 and pick up infamous and ufc or resistance 2.

LBP will finally be mine. Don't give two shits about the box art -- I'd download it if there was an option to do so at this price.

00011000 said:
Million times better than the PS3 Platinum that the UK had. I NEVER purchase these. They make me feel poor.

Agreed, the yellow labels are butt ugly, I really don´t want those in my collection. The Americans definitely got a better deal.

hxa155

Whoever thinks he/she has a good taste in video games should at least pick up Infamous. It was way worth the 60 bucks and now it's for half that price.

Glad the price has come down on LBP:GOTY... also would consider picking up KZ2 again -- is the online community any good at this point, or has it all moved on? i might even consider R2 now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I might rebuy Resistance 2 just to have it in my collection. But I kind of don't want it.

cory

Banned
I'd rank them:
N64 Player's Choice
PS2 GH
SNES Player's Choice
Gamecube Player's Choice
New PS3 GH
Old PS3 GH
New 360 Platinum Hits
PSX Greatest Hits
Xbox Platinum Hits
Old 360 Platinum Hits.

JWong

Banned
Majine said:
If only the standard PS3 cases were black. Seriously, why transparent?
Red transparent shown back in the E3 announcement looked sweet... but they weren't transparent in store.

Transparent is awesome.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Wh... at? Do games actually cost this much for real in the US?

Sure, I don't buy games directly at launch because I almost always have a backlog and I'm not too worried about spoilers. But usually after a few weeks I can get them for half the price, if I really can't live without the experience. Even though there hasn't been a pricedrop I could go out and buy Uncharted 2 today for €25 and I don't even consider that a "must buy" price-point.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Half my PS3 games are ugly Platinum ones. The yellow looks so fucking awful :( I quite like the look of these US cases though.

bkw

Hmm... very tempted to get LBP at $30... Though I wonder if it'd be smarter to wait for the new "Move edition".

Raziel

i guess im the only one that likes having more gh cases than regular ones so every time i look at my collection im reminded of how much money i saved lol :p i wish they went down to $20 though..

At least yall get your games on sale. As a Wii owner we don't ever get discounted games. I never got Twilight Princess. It was on shelves until last year for $50. And instead of a price drop, Nintendo just stopped producing it all together. There really is no good reason for Nintendo to basically leave money on the table, but that's what they are doing to customers waiting for a certain price point threshold on some older games.

JaxJag

Banned
Wouldn't $24.99 make more sense than $29.99?

Last-gen the greatest hits collection retailed for $19.99, and most of the new releases went for $49.99.

This gen new releases retail for $59.99, so shouldn't the greatest hits only go up by $5, and not $10?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
JaseC said:
It's not quite the same as the original. Disc art is sacrificed for the sake of Platinum branding:
x0tuv5.jpg

Edit: The new Platinum covers are even worse than the old ones. :lol
So the cases are actually silver/gray too? Sony really needs to have a talk w/those Platinum versions though.

Top Bottom