• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return of the ugly red box: New PS3 GH titles

Cheech

D.Lo said:
Yeah thinking the same thing. Almost every single game can be bought for less then half price, new, within 3 months here in Australia.

Sony published games, in the States, hold their price point a *long* time. Not really sure why this is, since it doesn't matter if the game is a shitbomb or a million seller. Typically, third party published games can be picked up for half price within 3 months as well.

Massa

ULTROS! said:
Does that mean the game has to sell more than 500,000 in the range of 10 months or it can go beyond 10 months?

Edit: I wonder why there's no GH version of Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Tekken 6, and Batman: AA yet. :p

I doubt selling 500k in the US is a requirement, most of these games aren't even close to that number in the US.

Bog

Junior Ace
ULTROS! said:
What does it take to make the game achieve Greatest Hits?

Is it still possible for Valkyria Chronicles to reach Greatest Hits? :lol

That would mean a $10 price increase.

jayb

JaxJag said:
Wouldn't $24.99 make more sense than $29.99?

Last-gen the greatest hits collection retailed for $19.99, and most of the new releases went for $49.99.

This gen new releases retail for $59.99, so shouldn't the greatest hits only go up by $5, and not $10?

PS2 GHs were 60% off, so I agree. PS3 GHs should be $23.99. :D

Jay Sosa

You wanna talk ugly?

E564557.jpg

2na0feu.jpg

EDIT: Beaten by the most hideous cover ever, well was to be expected.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
GurgleBot20 said:
These are 30$ right? If so, I'll gladly buy Little Big Planet.

I don't get it. Same with the other poster saying KZ2 is being sold for $60 till the GH come out.
All of those games have been selling for £15/$20 for months and months already.

Jay Sosa

Btw: Does anybody know what's the purpose of releasing this games with this hideous boxarts?

Cause all it does is that more people buy used games because they don't want these..

Sure, the majority doesn't give a fuck but still..

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Jay Sosa said:
Btw: Does anybody know what's the purpose of releasing this games with this hideous boxarts?

Cause all it does is that more people buy used games because they don't want these..

Sure, the majority doesn't give a fuck but still..
New packaging = new SKU. It's a lot easier to get a rerelease with different packaging reordered onto shelves in good numbers and featured in store ads than it is to try and revive the exact same product and SKU that's been sitting on shelves for a year.

Plus it's nice for the common person who may not keep up with games that much to be able to go into a store and have an easy visual identifier that makes the good, cheap games immediately leap out to them.

Dash Kappei said:
I don't get it. Same with the other poster saying KZ2 is being sold for $60 till the GH come out.
All of those games have been selling for £15/$20 for months and months already.

I guess it depends on what stores you go to because most stores around my location, some of these were selling for $60.00.

Scotch

Teetris said:
By now I'm convinced SCEE doesn't even give a fuck about Platinum sales, that's why the make it so ugly. They want to encourage people to buy the original next time.

It's the only explanation for something SO. GODDAMN. UGLY.
Yep. Only thing it's doing for me is it's making me buy used instead of Platinum. I don't want those hideous things in my collection.

I have a question for the US gaffers by the way. Don't stores like GameStop and Bestbuy do price drops on games themselves? Or do they all wait on the publishers to drop the price? Cause in Europe (Netherlands at least), games like Killzone 2, LPB and Infamous could be had for €30 or less long before they went Platinum.

00011000 said:
Some sample covers for those outside the US.

2710511241_f467115cab.jpg

i love the deep red. easily the best greatest hits packaging to this day. normally i don't like buying budget version, but this design will make things easier.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I still haven't played Resistance 2 aside from the first level or so.
I'm sure it's not as bad as some of GAF makes it out to be, I'll probably get it sometime soon.

Aside from the UFC thing, I have all the other ones. Some of my faves of this gen <3.

Vinci

Danish
JaxJag said:
Wouldn't $24.99 make more sense than $29.99?

Last-gen the greatest hits collection retailed for $19.99, and most of the new releases went for $49.99.

This gen new releases retail for $59.99, so shouldn't the greatest hits only go up by $5, and not $10?

Read the fine print: "Next-gen tax + is applied to Greatest Hits titles. Screw you losers for not buying them at a respectable cost."

GurgleBot20 said:
If I go to a Walmart or BestBuy and they have LBP for $60, can I somehow make them mark it down?

I believe you have to bring in another store ad for them to price match. I know Best Buy does it, but not to sure about WalMart.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Augemitbutter said:
i love the deep red. easily the best greatest hits packaging to this day. normally i don't like buying budget version, but this design will make things easier.
I dunno, I thought the first Xbox's were pretty rad, nice silver box + the spine was printed on a uniform silver BG with the logo on top (sort of like how Wii games all have the white spine). Looked really nice in a group.

How they went from that nice design to the weird smoky gray case they use for 360 PH now is beyond me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Majine said:
If only the standard PS3 cases were black. Seriously, why transparent?

Eww, black? Like cheap dime a dozen DVD cases? No thanks. Ugly as fuck.

witness

Will get LBP first day of price drops, and eventually pick up inFanmous, again- need to finish my Evil playthrough and get the rest of the trophies. Might get Killzone 2 someday.

Ugly? You fucking kidding me! NA PS3's Greatest Hits is the best boxart out of all the Greatest Hits collection for ANY CONSOLE AND ANY CONTINENT, PERIOD!

Dogenzaka said:

Was already $29.99; guess they decided to slap Greatest Hits on it to get more exposure...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
black_vegeta said:
I guess it depends on what stores you go to because most stores around my location, some of these were selling for $60.00.

Wow, the world has flipped over I guess.
Buying games here in EU now it's much much cheaper... it was the opposite until this last generation, everything was much more expensive than what you guys had.
Hardware wise maybe that's still true, besides the X360 which sells for a pittance here.

Jrmint

shagg_187 said:
Ugly? You fucking kidding me! NA PS3's Greatest Hits is the best boxart out of all the Greatest Hits collection for ANY CONSOLE AND ANY CONTINENT, PERIOD!

Was already $29.99; guess they decided to slap Greatest Hits on it to get more exposure...
It was $39.99. I'm pretty sure.

Amory

Why does every company insist on changing the boxes to something tacky once their game hits a certain price?

I mean seriously. What's the point? Shit, put a sticker on the wrapper saying greatest hits or something. Making the box all red and cheap looking is basically just a punishment to potential LTTP customers. I don't get it.

cory

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Does that mean the game has to sell more than 500,000 in the range of 10 months or it can go beyond 10 months?

Edit: I wonder why there's no GH version of Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Tekken 6, and Batman: AA yet. :p
Needs to be on the market for at least 10 months, so Batman won't be eligible until June, Tekken and Uncharted 2 in August, and AC2 in September. But they release them in waves, it's not automatic, and they can hold titles if they're selling well enough at full price 10 months in. It can also hit the sales threshold after 10 months and still become a GH.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Already got inFamous, Killzone 2 and Dead Space. Only other new one that vaguely interests me is Resistance 2. I thought the first one was only okay, and given opinions on the sequel I'm not sure $30 is cheap enough for me yet.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh yeah, now it's evil Cole on the cover with the red lightning. I guess it goes with the new cover design.

Hachimaki

How is Uncharted not a $20 title yet?

I suppose if it's selling at $30 then it's a good move, but it has been a while since it's release.

Nizz

XCell9200 said:
Why does every company insist on changing the boxes to something tacky once their game hits a certain price?

I mean seriously. What's the point? Shit, put a sticker on the wrapper saying greatest hits or something. Making the box all red and cheap looking is basically just a punishment to potential LTTP customers. I don't get it.
I always thought they did it perfectly with Killzone 1 on PS2. The game was a Greatest Hits title, it said it in red on top. But the GH red strip was on the outside shrink wrap only.

Once you tore the shrink wrap off, it was the original case underneath. You would have never know it was a GH title. Can't complain about these prices though. I've been wanting to get Resistance 2 for a while. Best I can do is hope to find it and these other titles still stocked in original cases at the new price.

Happened before with Ninja Gaiden Sigma. It went GH, but I found a copy in the original packaging still. I'm sure there are still some copies in stores without the red cases yet.

Poetic

I own everything there but the UFC and Resistance 2. Think I'll be picking up R2 while I can still find the original box.

jepjepjep said:
In this economy, seems to me that $20 would make more sense for GH.
Personally, that is what I said I think in another forum that $29.99 just seems like a lot of money compared to a $20 bill and some change. Even to me knowing the difference and seeing that it is only $10 more.

Bufflekill

Neo Member
Snaku said:
I'll get Killzone 2, Infamous, and LBP before the red versions flood the market. So glad Nintendo has not instituted a greatest hits line yet. Just mark down the games ffs.

I am very much of the same opinion (do actually people want the cheap version? Sure it is the same game but no doubt people prefer the original even if it means everyone has the same one). Sadly good Nintendo games don't get marked down in this area (Australia FTL).

Top Bottom