• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Nintendo shares soar as new Pokemon mobile game captures hearts

CassSept

It's crazy, I've heard about Pokemon Go from people who never played a proper video game in their life and did not care about Pokemon in 15 years. The game has insane potential.

Shiggy

This is already FAR bigger than Miitomo, Miitomo never did anything int he most grossing charts

To be fair, Miitomo didn't really have anything anyone would be willing to spend money on. It wasn't an app anyone wanted to use for more than a week. It still posted strong initial download numbers.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Dat pokemanz

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The key thing for Nintendo is translating this into interest in their dedicated hardware and 'full-fat' software. If they can do it then they are set for a bright future.

Do we know if Pokemon Go has any connectivity with Sun/Moon?

Teknoman

I hope the start adding new Pokémon soon (like around October-December) to keep the train rolling

As long as they keep decent gaps of time between generations. Introduce Gen 2 Pokemon, then have a decently large gap of time until Gen 3 and so on.

Also more gameplay features are important than roster.

PSFan

Amazing, considering a good many users can't even start the game because they haven't been able to log in to their trainer accounts because TPC servers suck. Myself included.

Mabufu

Banned
A lot of people should be eating crows right now.
Those who thought and defended to death that Pokemon only works in the classic gameboy formula.

Do we know if Pokemon Go has any connectivity with Sun/Moon?

Devs say that there is an eventual Sun/Moon tie-in, likely when or after the game releases.

Those who thought and defended to death that Pokemon only works in the classic gameboy formula.

I've only ever seen arguments that the classic gameboy formula wouldn't translate well to mobile, and Pokémon Go is an entirely different beast altogether in terms of mechanics and presentatin.

oti

Banned

I disliked the dismissive attitude some here had before the game came out. As if Pokémon always has to be the same game/thing in order to be good or have a right to exist. This isn't replacing the mainline series, it was never supposed to be. It's not as good as the mainline series, we get it, but it's still cool in its own right.

Based on the insane word of mouth ive seen in my area, im not doubting the games benefit at all. They need to continue to cultivate it though.

Great to hear.
Now it comes down to:
Can it keep it's audience interested?
Can it serve as a 'gateway drug' for the young app generation to seek deeper/richer experiences found in the mainline games?

jts

...hate me...
Not available in my region yet.

And judging by Miitomo... yeah it won't be anytime soon.

Time to get used to using a US account to download Nintendo apps since they are too incompetent to do worldwide releases.

Pokemon Go has crazy hype. IRL, on social media, everywhere. It's barely been 48 hours and everyone I know is playing. If they can keep the servers up and improving the experience it probably bodes well for Sun/Moon too to get a bunch of nostalgic fans back on the wagon in someway.

Hell, my mom was asking me about downloading it after watching me play for a couple of minutes yesterday.

Miitomo sucked. It took up to much space for what it was, wasn't all that interested and felt like a thinly veiled survey half the time.

Brhoom

Banned
Not available in my region yet.

And judging by Miitomo... yeah it won't be anytime soon.

Time to get used to using a US account to download Nintendo apps since they are too incompetent to do worldwide releases.

Don't. I won't let them see another penny from me again€ untill bullshit like this is gone.

The bitter taste left in my mouth for buying a pal 3ds and seeing I can't play ntsc games on it will forever be here untill they fix this crap.

hiryu64

tumblr_m77ovxRZ1k1qfyz1jo1_500.jpg

holla holla get ₽

Wait, one of the biggest and most popular game franchise to ever grace our streets is owned by three companies?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008721

- In essence, the Pokemon franchise is owned by three separate entities: Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc; however, Nintendo, in addition to having partial ownership, are trademark owners of the Pokemon logo, and Pokémon character names.

- Nintendo holds a 32% interest in the Pokemon Company
- Nintendo has a stake in Creatures Inc.; however, Nintendo decided to not disclose the ownership ratio (Please understand)

To make this even more confusing, Nintendo, Pokemon Company and Google invested 20.000.000 $ in Niantic.

I have a feeling this ends up being another Miitomo. Yes people are exited there is a Pokemon thing on their phones now but that novelty will wear off fast and what they're left with is a free to play game that has to compete with a million other flavor of the week mobile games.

I'm not sure Nintendo or niantic is prepared for the world of weaponized addiction peddling mobile games. They may eke out their own niche but this won't be competing with clash of clans or candy crush. Nintendo has big plans for mobile but I don't see how they can succeed without cheapening their brand.

thefro

I have a feeling this ends up being another Miitomo. Yes people are exited there is a Pokemon thing on their phones now but that novelty will wear off fast and what they're left with is a free to play game that has to compete with a million other flavor of the week mobile games.

I'm not sure Nintendo or niantic is prepared for the world of weaponized addiction peddling mobile games. They may eke out their own niche but this won't be competing with clash of clans or candy crush. Nintendo has big plans for mobile but I don't see how they can succeed without cheapening their brand.

Right now it's outgrossing Clash of Clans and Candy Crush. Miitomo never got anywhere close to that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
To be fair, Miitomo didn't really have anything anyone would be willing to spend money on. It wasn't an app anyone wanted to use for more than a week. It still posted strong initial download numbers.

Miitomo was basically a Trojan horse to get people to create a MyNintendo account and show how a MyNintendo works.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008721

- In essence, the Pokemon franchise is owned by three separate entities: Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc; however, Nintendo, in addition to having partial ownership, are trademark owners of the Pokemon logo, and Pokémon character names.

- Nintendo holds a 32% interest in the Pokemon Company
- Nintendo has a stake in Creatures Inc.; however, Nintendo decided to not disclose the ownership ratio (Please understand)

To make this even more confusing, Nintendo, Pokemon Company and Google invested 20.000.000 $ in Niantic.

Thank you for the information. I always wondered why the Creatures Inc logo was in Pokémon and now I know why, lol.

Do we have any numbers on how much Creatures Inc and GameFreak own?

Shiggy

Miitomo was basically a Trojan horse to get people to create a MyNintendo account and show how a MyNintendo works.

Not sure. That would have been an extremely short-sighted strategy, with both My Nintendo and Miitomo leaving a bitter taste behind.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Downloaded last night but haven't tried it yet. I've noticed some talk about it on my Facebook feed among friends, where there was nothing in regards to Miitomo.

I can't imagine how huge Animal Crossing might be.

Scrawnton

I love playing the game; however, I will stop playing it if it has no meaningful connection to Sun/Moon or future pokemon games.

Is their monetization in Pokemon GO? Are there ads? How is Nintendo making money off it?

It's funny, I don't really have interest in the game, but I keep thinking as whenever I get my new phone I'll probably download it just because my friends are going to.

The Hermit

Go mobile. Go PC. Make peripherals. Live forever.

Yup

Nintendo realized the age of consoles is almost over.

I am still intrigued by the NX, but the way Nintendo is using the already established social environment will grant them another 100 of existence.

Is their monetization in Pokemon GO? Are there ads? How is Nintendo making money off it?

It's funny, I don't really have interest in the game, but I keep thinking as whenever I get my new phone I'll probably download it just because my friends are going to.
Microtransactions for pokeballs, incense, lucky eggs, incubators etc.

Luckily so far it seems to be really fair and i cant see me needing to buy anything to help me along.

Scrawnton

Microtransactions for pokeballs, incense, lucky eggs, incubators etc.

Luckily so far it seems to be really fair and i cant see me needing to buy anything to help me along.

Theyre going to make most of their money from people who get real invested in the gym battles and controlling territory. As of yesterday morning there was a guy who had a level 480 Vaporeon controlling a gym in my town; luckily he was the same team as me. There is no way that person managed to get something like that this early without paying for some items, in my opinion.

Nintendo need to expand that app gameplay to continue to make more money xD

The game desperately needs a friends list and the ability to battle eachother just for prestige.

Right now it's outgrossing Clash of Clans and Candy Crush. Miitomo never got anywhere close to that.
They're definitely off to a strong start! I'd love to see this do well for Nintendo as their monetization scheme is arguably more reasonable than the competition. I just dont think this has the same kind of staying power as King's and Supercell's offerings though. Plenty of promising challengers appear but they all fizzle out in the end leaving the same old games on the top of the charts.

I hope it does well for Nintendo and has staying power.

That's why mobile gaming is even a good thing for the tradition console gaming. It gives Nintendo (and other publishers) multiple revenue streams.

bomma_man

Australia's biggest supermarket chain made a Facebook post about it. I've honestly never seen anything like it. I wonder if they'll be able to translate it into Sun and Moon sales.

Kinsei

Banned
Theyre going to make most of their money from people who get real invested in the gym battles and controlling territory. As of yesterday morning there was a guy who had a level 480 Vaporeon controlling a gym in my town; luckily he was the same team as me. There is no way that person managed to get something like that this early without paying for some items, in my opinion.

None of the items you can pay for affect your CP level though. It's far more likely that the dude is from an area swimming in Eevees.

"Nintendo, Pokemon Co. and Google Inc. will invest $20 million up front with the rest conditional on certain milestones, Niantic said."
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-investment-pokemon-go-game-developer-niantic

Funny that Google earns with Pokemon (somehow) lol.

Since Nintendo co-owns the Pokemon Company and parts of companies that own parts of the Pokemon Comany themselve, this is complicated.
It's not really complicated. TPC manages the Pokemon license on behalf of Nintendo, GF and Creatures. If you think Nintendo doesn't actually command a majority influence and ownership of the IP then I don't know what to tell you.

Sterok

Ingress stuck around, so this can too if they handle it right. Not at the top of the charts obviously, but being a consistent good money maker is possible.

Top Bottom