• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Nintendo shares soar as new Pokemon mobile game captures hearts

Dynasty8

Anyone else see Nintendo going full mobile after this success? I don't like it. I feel like 5-10 years from now, we will never see another traditional Mario or Zelda again on consoles. Hope I'm wrong.

Anyone else see Nintendo going full mobile after this success? I don't like it. I feel like 5-10 years from now, we will never see another traditional Mario or Zelda again on consoles. Hope I'm wrong.

They've said they won't abandon making console games, but time will tell.

As much as GAF generally obsesses over the business end of video games, I think people overlook that there are creative and artistic people in the business who like to create things regardless of what investors or the buying public thinks. "A business exists to make money and wouldn't exists without making money and video games is a business not an art form" is 100% true. But don't overestimate that there are still humans who take joy in creating and aren't always thinking about $$$. Why do you think some of the answers at these investors meetings are so evasive, such non-answers? Part of me believes it's because Nintendo (or creators in general) still value creativity and aren't always obsessing over what's going to increase the bottom line.

majik13

Is Nintendo connected with this app in any way? Other than most (all?) previous Pokemon titles being on their hardware.

I'm still not convinced they've fully come to their senses. I want to see what the actual, Nintendo developed mobile games end up being. The talk of using mobile apps to move consumers back to traditional concerns me. Will they make fully independent efforts like Pokemon Go and just let the exposure of their IP drives sales? Or will they just be simple advertising games or side experiences that can only be fully utilized by spending hundreds on their hardware?

Their messaging on this has been somewhat confused, admittedly, but it seems to me that they see mobile as a revenue stream in its own right, not merely a promotional platform for the hardware business.

majik13

They own a third of the Pokemon company. They're connected with every decision they make.

Ah, always thought they just had a partnership with Pokemon Company. Since I always see alot of comments, like. "Its not Nintendos decision, its up to Pokemon Company", etc. Ok, anyways good to know.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Is Nintendo connected with this app in any way? Other than most (all?) previous Pokemon titles being on their hardware.

They own a stake of the publisher (TPC) and the IP (Pokemon). Nintendo is also the developer of Pokemon Go Plus - a companion accessory.

Ah, always thought they just had a partnership with Pokemon Company. Since I always see alot of comments, like. "Its not Nintendos decision, its up to Pokemon Company", etc. Ok, anyways good to know.
Nintendo has a stake in the Pokémon Company, but it's still largely independent in terms of decision-making- the whole point is that it can leverage this incredibly successful brand in a way that Nintendo never would. We have had mobile F2P Pokémon games for years, and Nintendo would never do that themselves.

Those comments are generally exaggerated, out of an effort to disconnect Pokemon's success from Nintendo.

Mr Swine

Banned
Nintendo has a stake in the Pokémon Company, but it's still largely independent in terms of decision-making- the whole point is that it can leverage this incredibly successful brand in a way that Nintendo never would. We have had mobile F2P Pokémon games for years, and Nintendo would never do that themselves.

So what's stopping them not releasing Pokemon on the PS or Xbox? Or does Nintendo own a enough to say no to it?

Alrus

I really doubt that.

OmegaFax

So what's stopping them not releasing Pokemon on the PS or Xbox? Or does Nintendo own a enough to say no to it?

Probably because the Pokemon IP is split split between Game Freak, Creatures, and Nintendo with the latter having some veto power on the thing.

Reversed

Here in Italy it is not launched yet, but there are already political jokes based on the "new pokemon app"

You're not alone on that regard.

13592253_649979701831900_2979907060393020372_n.jpg

I really doubt that.
Largely, not wholly.

Yeah, Nintendo would put the brakes on if Game Freak tried to put the series on Vita or whatever (they have a significant stake in both the company and the IP), but there's a large degree of autonomy there. If it were solely up to Nintendo, Game Freak wouldn't be putting out DS games after the 3DS has been out for a year and a half.

freoleo29

Literally everyone is playing this on my Facebook feeds, tomorrow night i'm heading to a party/gatho and I guarentee for the first time ever someone will be talking about pokemon.

Yet i can't download the damn thing because I am on IOS 7 still, Weighing up whether to have a sluggish IOS 9 phone and Pokemon or miss out on the Pokemon buzz and have a responsive enough phone.

Neoxon

Strange, as Pokemon GO is not exactly a Nintendo title. Good for them, though. Hopefully the rest of Nintendo's mobile projects help as much as this.
To be fair, Nintendo was more involved with this game than they are with other Pokémon mobile games.

They wouldn't even release a proper pokemon game on Wii for one, and if they were going to do a mainline pokemon on consoles, that would have been the time.

But yes, Nintendo would block that immediately.

Neoxon

I really doubt that.
It's true. It's part of the reason why TPC has veto power on the use of the Pokémon Amiibos. Granted, they've been loosening up as of late (see the recent 3DS Kirby game), but they've been previously locking the Pokémon Amiibos out of use in other games besides Smash & half-assed support in Super Mario Maker. Sakurai also goes to The Pokémon Company in discussing the use of characters in Smash games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo completely owns the trademark for the characters associated to Pokémon, so it's kind of a weird situation. But yes, TPC can't take the franchise anywhere but Nintendo systems & mobile.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I really doubt that.

Yeah it's clearly not, it's not by chance Pokemon has never ended up on a rival system and it took this long for a sizeable effort on mobiles. The company itself was created by Nintendo and it's co-owners to manage the multimedia franchise since Nintendo etc couldn't effectively do that themselves (it's not some random thing Nintendo bought stakes in, Niintendo significantly contributed to the company's foundation, they also have sizeable stakes in pretty much all of the other parters). The franchise itself generated the same a amount of revenue as Star Wars did in 2015, to give you an idea of how massive it is, it's not some small affair by any stretch of the imagination

It's true. It's part of the reason why TPC has veto power on the use of the Pokémon Amiibos. Granted, they've been loosening up as of late (see the recent 3DS Kirby game), but they've been previously locking the Pokémon Amiibos out of use in other games besides Smash & half-assed support in Super Mario Maker. Sakurai also goes to The Pokémon Company in discussing the use of characters in Smash games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo completely owns the trademark for the characters associated to Pokémon, so it's kind of a weird situation. But yes, TPC can't take the franchise anywhere but Nintendo systems & mobile.

The Pokemon company isn't a separate competing entity, Nintendo very much has it's claws in it on every level, from having a stake on the trademark, ownership of a third of the company and sizable shares in both of the other owners to ensure it's interests are fulfilled. The reason why the Pokemon company has so much autonomy is because that's the entire purpose of the creation of the company. To manage a massive multimedia company and generate as much income as possible, something Nintendo and it's partners at the point of it's creation was poorly equipped to do. Nintendo through having so much stake within the company benefits from the company maximising profits even if it doesn't follow exactly what Nintendo and the other companies want to do which would be a bureacratic nightmare, and wouldn't aide effeciency at all. The franchise is massive success and revenue earner, thus aren't going to try to meddle with it with a 10 foot barge pole. The only time it would is if they signifcantly go against Nintendo's own interests and profitability.

Neoxon

Go mobile. Go PC. Make peripherals. Live forever.
Nintendo's mobile initiative is meant to supplement their dedicated gaming devices, not replace them. Plus, while Nintendo did have a hand in Pokémon GO, this isn't officially part of said mobile initiative.

Neoxon

Just makes me wonder how a proper pokemon game on phones would do, even if it was paid.
That depends on if Game Freak is willing to go down that path (which I'm not sure about, but they are not exactly keen on making main Pokémon games for home consoles). Either way, it'd take their next handheld bombing hard for that to happen.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So silly that it took them so long to embrace mobile. Especially with Pokemon since the whole franchise was based around being portable, trading with people out and about etc.

I get that they want to sell hardware, including portable gaming machines, but at some point they have to recognize that the ship has sailed on that market now that nearly everyone has hardware far more powerful than the handhelds they put out in their pockets.

If they were smart they'd just sell peripherals for smartphones that hold the phone and add analog sticks, buttons and triggers and set up an app that works like Amazon's Kindle and Music apps where purchases have to be made on their webstore rather than in App to avoid the 30% couple to Apple/Google/MS.

That would open their portable games up to a huge market, the peripherals would be highly profitable as those things always sell at huge markups while dedicated gaming hardware doesn't etc.

Acerac

Banned
Is the game any good?

Should I check it out?

It's got my lazy ass biking through town at all hours, and I'm seeing plenty of others doing likewise.

It's sure not the deepest game out there, but I've been having a hell of a lot of fun with it. The social aspect is an awesome bonus.

thefro

@gibbogame and @serkantoto are impressed:

Financial Times said:
“The really interesting thing is that this all happened without much promotion. The game has done all this — getting to the top of the download rankings — by itself and that shows you the power of the brand. It’s encouraging because it shows that strongly branded IP will be successful in the App Store,” said David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie who covers Nintendo.

He added that if the game remained in the top-five ranked grossing games in Japan for a 12-month stretch, it could add 7-10 per cent to Nintendo’s net profit for that year.

Serkan Toto, a games industry consultant based in Tokyo, described the game’s instant popularity as “a miracle” in such a scaled, mature market as the US, where topping the download charts requires more than 100,000 daily downloads.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So silly that it took them so long to embrace mobile. Especially with Pokemon since the whole franchise was based around being portable, trading with people out and about etc.

I get that they want to sell hardware, including portable gaming machines, but at some point they have to recognize that the ship has sailed on that market now that nearly everyone has hardware far more powerful than the handhelds they put out in their pockets.

If they were smart they'd just sell peripherals for smartphones that hold the phone and add analog sticks, buttons and triggers and set up an app that works like Amazon's Kindle and Music apps where purchases have to be made on their webstore rather than in App to avoid the 30% couple to Apple/Google/MS.

That would open their portable games up to a huge market, the peripherals would be highly profitable as those things always sell at huge markups while dedicated gaming hardware doesn't etc.

This is going to look real silly if the game flames out by the end of the month. Lets see how the game does over time before asking Nintendo to burn down hardware plans.

Gurrry

I see alot of talk about Animal Crossing, but do we know for sure that its going to be a full fledged AC game?

I have my doubts that it will be that. I imagine something more similar to miitomo with AC characters. I hope im wrong though.

You angry?

7 day and 30 day retention metrics are pretty standard bench marks in mobile games. Having a great first few days is kinda not the same level of importance to your long term financial goals in the mobile space as it is in the console space where everything is front loaded.

If people aren't still playing and spending money on this game next month then it is a failure in typical mobile terms.

Nintendo's mobile initiative is meant to supplement their dedicated gaming devices, not replace them. Plus, while Nintendo did have a hand in Pokémon GO, this isn't officially part of said mobile initiative.

No, but it's a good case study for how their mobile initiative ought to work if they execute correctly.

Gutss

7 day and 30 day retention metrics are pretty standard bench marks in mobile games. Having a great first few days is kinda not the same level of importance to your long term financial goals in the mobile space as it is in the console space where everything is front loaded.

If people aren't still playing and spending money on this game next month then it is a failure in typical mobile terms.

With the kind of buzz this getting, i cant even see what the guy is seeing, this cant die that easy.

I see alot of talk about Animal Crossing, but do we know for sure that its going to be a full fledged AC game?

I have my doubts that it will be that. I imagine something more similar to miitomo with AC characters. I hope im wrong though.

It's not going to be "full-fledged," in that I'm sure it'll play differently from the mainline console/handheld entries, but the initial PR was pretty clear that it and Fire Emblem are actual games, unlike Miitomo.

Nintendo’s Next Mobile Apps: Building on the positive consumer reaction to Miitomo, Nintendo announced that its next two mobile apps would be based on the familiar and beloved Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing franchises. Nintendo plans to release both of these applications this autumn.

As for the former app, while making it more accessible in comparison to the Fire Emblem games for Nintendo’s dedicated gaming systems, Nintendo aims to offer the great value of a role-playing strategy game. Nintendo will design the latter game so that it will be connected with the world of Animal Crossing for dedicated gaming systems. By playing both Animal Crossing games, users will find increased enjoyment.

Both of these are pure game applications. Compared to Miitomo, they have more prominent game elements, and the game content will tie closely into Nintendo’s dedicated games business. Nintendo will provide more details about these applications closer to their launch period, and aims to have multiple types of apps that appeal to different audiences and different groups of players.

Neoxon

From the sounds of it, the Animal Crossing app is gonna interface with whatever Animal Crossing game is coming to the NX. So the AC mobile game may be more of a supplementary app than anything else.

People are talking about this at work. This game is a casual juggernaut.

Will be interesting to see the future of Pokemon now that the whole JRPG structure of the series has proven itself both irrelevant and potentially constraining to its appeal and ability to generate cash.

Top Bottom